Start by marking “The Search for Bridey Murphy” as Want to Read:
The Search for Bridey Murphy

The Search for Bridey Murphy

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  288 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The story of Ruth Simmons, who while under hypnosis recounts the story of the life of Bridey Murphy under the care of one of the leading hypnotherapist of the day.
Published July 1st 1989 by Doubleday (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Search for Bridey Murphy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Search for Bridey Murphy

Eileen
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read this as a teenager. It changed not only how I looked at life but everyone else's. A must.
P.S. Loved the name Bridey so much was going to name my girl Bridey - BUT- never had a girl so I named our dog after her.
Maureen
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Maureen by: forbidden fruit
Shelves: psychology
When this book was first published, it caused somewhat of a sensation, especially in the Bible Belt where I grew up. A psychiatrist got interested in hypnosis in 1952, and tried it on his neighbor's wife. While trying to regress the woman to her early childhood, he ended up in what must have been one of the first past life regressions, where the woman remembered several past lives, including her life as Bridey Murphy, an Irishwoman in the 1800s. Many of the details of her/Murphy's life were able ...more
Jeffrey Crimmel
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was recommended this book because of the past life experience I had as a boy living in Italy. I have just started the book and already I am ready to be put under to recall any other past lives I may have had.

Finished the book and recommend it for those who have any interest in past lives. This book is not for everyone because of the topic but many of us out there have had such experiences and are not closed minded with the subject of re incarnation.
Samantha Glasser
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book because I saw the movie starring Teresa Wright, and it completely blew my mind. I wasn't sure how much to buy into the story, but this book is very convincing and whether you remain slightly skeptical like I have, it is a fascinating read that brings up amazing possiblilities about the soul and the human brain.

At a party, the author witness a hypnotist and finds himself questioning the whole process. But his interest is piqued and he starts studying the art, practicing on his w
Maegan
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Maegan by: Mike Dooley
Great read; the version I had has an introduction and a bunch of additional information in the back. I found the stuff in the back to be a bit more involved and tedious, but if you wanted more factual documentation that was it. Very intriguing, I think everyone should read this book as it is extremely thought provoking.
Heidi The Hippie Reader
At first, this account of a part-time hypnotist taking a lady through a past life regression was "give-you-the-chills" interesting. Bernstein set the stage perfectly with his description of how he became interested in hypnotism and reincarnation after being a skeptic for the first part of his life. Then, he described his sometimes humorous attempts to be hypnotized himself.

Next, he introduced the reader to Ruth Simmons and his recordings of her hypnotic sessions and the life of Bridey Murphy. Th
Meriam Kharbat
Nov 18, 2012 added it
Recommends it for: People interested in Reincarnation
This book tells a story about a psychiatrist who hypnotized his neighbor Virginia Tighe (called Ruth Simmons). This housewife starts recalling scenes of her past life as Bridey Murphy, who lives in Belfast,Ireland.

It gets interesting around the middle of the book, where the woman allegedly spoke of her death, and what she did after she died. And also her frustration when people (husband Brian, and Brother Duncan) couldn't listen her. She spoke of her rebirth, in her present life.

***
This is an I
Kathy  Petersen
I first read The Search for Bridey Murphy when I was a young and quite skeptical teenager ... skeptical but fascinated. Fifty years later I'm still skeptical and still fascinated by the tale. Bernstein, a businessman and amateur hypnotist, has either a skill in writing or a good editor. (See, I told you I was a skeptic.)
Costacoralito
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book that opened my mind to the possibility of reincarnation. Very good description of hypnotic age and past life regression methods and scripts. Entertaining and reasonably well-written. Highly recommended.
Erik Graff
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hypnotism fans
Recommended to Erik by: Michael Miley
Shelves: psychology
Although rather convincingly disproved, the best-selling Bridey Murphy book is an important work in the history of past-life regressive hypnotism, channeling and the popular belief in such methods relevant to the alien abduction phenomenon and to false memories of infantile abuse.
Lynda
Jun 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
The first book I read on reincarnation. Fascinates me.
Linda
Jun 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
One of the first books to pique my interest in reincarnation.
Angela
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting.
Tonya
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: metaphysics
Very interesting insight into hypnotherapy. Brief history of Edgar Cayce.
Diane Bedford
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Story of past life regression through Hypnosis. Interesting ... could this possibly be true??
C.
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
First book I read on past life regressions. It opened up a new field of interest for me.
Sherry
Sep 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this at about 9 years old. It was a huge influence on my world view.
April
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointed, I remember watching the film years ago and wanted to read more. The transcription for kindle was awful, with random symbols and very poor attention to detail. Much of the book is taken up with the history and use of hypnotism leaving the actual story both rushed and repetitive. The confirmation of facts takes up less than a chapter. I really wish I hadn't spent money to read it but left my fond memories of the film intact.
Josephine
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, there's no star indicator for "laughed helplessly at the woo-woo" of this book. It reminded me of Von Daniken's books "Chariots of the Gods" in its desperate stretching for proof of reincarnation, and the usefulness of hypnosis in medical treatment. I can understand how there would be many people who would like this, for those very same reasons--in fairness, hypnosis may have some efficacy as a more formalized inducer of the placebo effect, but no more than that--but the central p ...more
Kari
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is a businessman's journey into the world of hypnotism, parapsychology, and reincarnation. Transcripts from hypnosis sessions with Mrs. Ruth Simmons are included with some commentary. The information Mrs. Simmons provides in the sessions on Bridey Murphy, a nineteenth century Irish lady are thought provoking and interesting. I don't know that it's definition proof of reincarnation, but if you're already interested in this type of stuff I'd check it out. There are also a few references ...more
Emma
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
All I could think of was Peter Venkman. 'I dunno, a couple of wavy lines.' I'm interested in this stuff (hypnosis, age regression, weird crap etc) and I didn't object to the age of the text (1956); indeed the discussion of outdated medical treatments including the usefulness of sodium amytal was almost whimisical. But the lack of questions asked of the subject and the lack of investigation into the claims made under hypnosis was frustrating, and, of course, goes about refuting the validity of th ...more
Denise
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Like some others have said, I read this as a teen. I was in my mystical, searching for answers phase of life and this book deeply moved me. I haven't a clue whether the author is simply a good story teller or truly relating facts but either way, the story is a wonderful tale of the what ifs of life after death.

Mary Magin
This book was published in the 1950's and it is an interesting study of what was going on in the Paranormal world at that time. It's primarily concerned with hypnosis and is an easy read for the non-scientific. I liked it.
H. P. Reed
This is a great book for a teen or early 20s reader exploring paranormal nonsense, but it's not at all convincing. Our own minds are capable of deluding and entertaining us powerfully. They are to be marveled at, but not believed.
Caffers
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I find the subject of hypnosis fascinating. Throw in past lives and you got me... I keep reading.
The power of our minds is just amazing.
Very enjoyable, interesting and insightful reading.
Meg Gherson
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! and will Re-read it many times I am sure!
Ede
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book a long time ago and it has remained in my mind ever since. It changed my thinking about life and death. I really liked this book and I think Ill go ahead and read it again.
Karen Black
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I was really interested in the topic of this book (reincarnation), but the author just didn't pull it off.
Bonnie
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a teen, my first introduction into the possibility of reincarnation.
Steve Shilstone
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
A nifty page-turner all about incarnation and re of same.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Do you believe? 1 2 Aug 22, 2012 08:48AM
  • Edgar Cayce on Reincarnation
  • Many Mansions: The Edgar Cayce Story on Reincarnation (Signet)
  • There is a River: The Story of Edgar Cayce
  • It's All In The Playing
  • Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation, 2D
  • Edgar Cayce: The Sleeping Prophet
  • Past Lives, Future Lives
  • A Woman's World: True Stories of Life on the Road
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers: Western Region
  • 50 Simple Things You Can Do To Save The Earth
  • Old Souls: Compelling Evidence From Children Who Remember Past Lives
  • The House Plant Expert (The Expert Series)
  • Almost Vegetarian: A Primer for Cooks Who Are Eating Vegetarian Most of the Time, Chicken & Fish Some of the Time, & Altogether Well All of the Time
  • Trucker Ghost Stories: And Other True Tales of Haunted Highways, Weird Encounters, and Legends of the Road
  • List Your Self: Listmaking as the Way to Self-Discovery
  • Jennie: The Life of Lady Randolph Churchill, Vol 2
  • Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary with Access Code
  • Eating for IBS: 175 Delicious, Nutritious, Low-Fat, Low-Residue Recipes to Stabilize the Touchiest Tummy

“us both his first and last name, and even” 0 likes