Start by marking “White: Essays on Race and Culture” as Want to Read:
White: Essays on Race and Culture

White: Essays on Race and Culture

White people are not literally or symbolically white; nor are they uniquely virtuous and pure. Racial imagery and racial representation are central to the organisation of the contemporary world but, while there are many studies of images of black and Asian people, whiteness is an invisible racial position. At the level of racial representation, whites are not of a certain ...more
Published August 5th 1997 by Routledge (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White

Start your review of White: Essays on Race and Culture
Simone
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This book is a game changer. It's so amazing. The scope and breadth of his argument is staggering. If you aren't familiar with the book he breaks it down like this in the introduction:

"But this then is why it is important to come to see whiteness. For those in power in the West, as long as whiteness is felt to be the human condition, then it alone both defines normality and fully inhabits it. As I suggested in my opening paragraphs, the equation of being white with being human secures a
Eliane Mitchell
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really fascinating book that I (admittedly) read for class. As James Baldwin said “there is now white community” — this book, by contrast, develops a theory to explain what whiteness is and how it has managed to disguise itself as “ordinary.” Watching the several movies that the author discusses in depth would probably be helpful (however I did not do this, simply skimming these parts).
Sanni
Apr 21, 2018 added it
Elokuvia jonkun verran katsoneena on herkistynyt erilaisille stereotyypeille, mitä marginalisoidussa asemassa olevista ihmisistä tehdään. Harvemmin sitä tulee pohtineeksi, miten valkoisuus elokuvassa representoidaan. Dyerin kirja on mindfuck ja avaa silmät sille, mitä ei muuten tule nähneeksi.
Rachael
Nov 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Hey everybody who was in Engl 662 or 666 or whatever it was? Remember when the bookstore turned these books upside down? Yeah. That was funny. We all felt really odd buying them.

That aside, this is a pretty good outline of "color" (in terms of gender/race issues) in text and film, although it misses a lot of important points and seems to focus more on photographs and lighting analysis than the theoretical implications. However, I think it's good as an overview text.
Christian Holub
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
The definite highlight from the "Unsettling Whiteness" class I took this past spring. One of the keys to white supremacy is pretending that while categories like "black" and "Asian" have specific biological/psychological characteristics, whiteness is normalcy devoid of any intrinsic markers. This book will blow your mind with its analysis of the attributes of whiteness.
Amy
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, essays
Dyer examines the concept of "whiteness" through photography (and cameras essentially constructed to deal with lighter colored skin), film and TV (by concentrating on white hero/muscle/masculinity and white/feminine/purity/damsel or troublemaker, and the association with death).
Rosianna
Oct 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fascinating and very visual look at the way white people have created images of whiteness across the ages. Should be required reading for all, I think.
Rowena
Feb 23, 2014 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Rowena by: Prof. Black
Shelves: race, grad-school
Prof for my next course sent us the pdf of this book. Looks interesting.
Jasmine
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dyer manages to talk about hugely serious issues in his collection of essays in a conversational style which makes me wonder why these aren't conversations had more readily. "White" is a series of essays dealing with whiteness and the unawareness that white people have around issues of race. I should point out at this point that I am a white female. "White" made me realise how everything is designed for the white race, from plasters to film lighting. I can't do the book justice, but I hope more ...more
Derek
Aug 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
A critique of Dyer in the style of Dyer:
The author's pretentious use of inaccessible vocabulary and refusal to pragmatically recognize the heteronormative local and global perception of race and race issues causes concomitant feelings of aesthetic displeasure and philosophical confusion on the part of the reader.
Now in plain language: Barely readable. Even less understandable.
Miriam
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-reread
Dyer's thought process is clear and charming. He provides very analytical pondering on defining whiteness. I especially liked his close-reading of the films Simba, Jezebel and Night of the Living Dead. Definitely read-again!
Travis Wagner
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Necessary reading for white folks, particularly in terms of better understanding how truly white-centric culture, history and the arts are and remain.
Sean
Brilliant and important analysis of the deeply embedded centrality of 'whiteness' as a concept in Western culture. Essential reading for race scholars.
Ninja
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read - especially now in this unfortunate political climate.
Hannah Treasure
Dyer attempts to separate race from class, gender, and sexuality in a way that just isn't possible. Even in his own experiences, Dyer seems to identify with racial minorities as a sort of outsider perspective parallel to his own sexuality; yet with his personal struggles it seems like throughout the essay he still yearns to be something other than white as almost an interesting addition to himself--presenting a clearly problematic view that disregards cultural narratives and history. His ...more
Izetta Autumn
If you are a student of cultural studies, visual culture or race in America, you MUST read this book. There are a few books that change your life, that you remember reading and everything clicks. This was it for me. The book is wonderful. Not only does Dyer write clearly and with ease about such a complicated topic, but he provides nearly indisputable examples of the ways Western culture privileges whiteness - not only the hue but also the skin color.

Dyer deals with art, art history, and
malic
Feb 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: filmmakers / film theorists / grips and gaffers
Shelves: film-theory
more than any other, this book inspired my Div III (aka senior thesis) at Hampshire, which was titled "The Rise of the White Heroine: Feminism and Racism at the Movies."

"White" looks critically at the representation of whiteness in popular culture, historically and presently. Specifically it goes into representations in the moving image, particularly Hollywood movies, and spends a great deal of time on the development of Hollywood lighting. Dyer explains how film lights and film stock have been
Wess
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: oppression
This isn't a book about racism, and it isn't a book about race, really. It truly is a book about "white," what white means, and what things in our culture create, maintain and privilege the things, symbols and people that count as white.

REALLY interesting perspective. My favorite part was reading about the photography/film industry and how that history has affected the way we see light, brightness, and whiteness. Sometimes the book is painfully abstract but other times it's completely
Mari Säisä
Feb 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ooh I want to feel ashamed that I am white and privileged. Still new approaches to spot these falsities in the world. Swartzenegger is so wrong being superior as Conan the Barbarian. I wonder is this 13 years ago published book out dated or what additions could make. For example why in many cultures paler the better, expect in Western where tanned body means leisure.

This is just like when reading feminist books. Time to start spotting injustice!
Fleur
May 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I really liked the first two chapters that theorised whiteness and put it in a broader contextual analysis. The third chapter was interesting, but oh sooooo long. And he lost me with the last three chapters that were too narrow in their focus for me, limited to a specific case study that didn't particularly interest me and could have been more refined/in depth
Alyx
Jul 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is media studies done right. Not only does Dyer consider race representations in film and media, but he also goes so far as to interrogate the racist aspects at work in the mechanics of film and photographic technology in capturing light and filming subjects -- he also even goes so far as to consider positive examples and solutions. One of my all-time faves.
Ashley
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I started to read this book while I was in England. Unfortunately, I was unable to finish the book because I had to come back from my study abroad too quickly and I was having too much fun! In the first couple of chapters I was totally taken. This book does an amazing job at deconstructing the construction of whiteness.
Reginald Simms
The author writes on ways whiteness is imbued in film and television as an expression of cultural norms. Those expressions being racialized, religious, heteronormative, homophobic, and patriarchal but always centered around whiteness. Whiteness as superior, whiteness as universal, whiteness as invisible, whiteness as charitable, whiteness as godly,even whiteness as death etc.
Jessica
Aug 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love Dyer's style, and I love how he incorporates so many different sources into his books - films, photographs, visual art, pop culture, literature, history, and more. This is another book that really earns the descriptions "challenging" and "thought-provoking."
Makini
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mostly
The first few chapters were excellent because it spoke about "whiteness" broadly, then it became very specific to film and art, which is fine for a particular audience. I knew that prior to getting the book so I'm not rating it based upon the narrow topic.
Chuck Williamson
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I just want to give Richard Dyer a big, sloppy kiss.
Jane
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Smart and accessibly written. Many of these chapters would teach well. I don't think there's a terribly original or deep argument here, but it's a sound, well-written book on an important topic.
Rekha
Feb 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
A great combination of media theory and Whiteness studies. Especially hones in on the aesthetics of Whiteness as an ideal idea.
Mika
Aug 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
I luv this dude! <3 <3
Regine Ejstrup
Jan 15, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The End of White Christian America
  • Plant-Based on a Budget: Delicious Vegan Recipes for Under $30 a Week, for Less Than 30 Minutes a Meal
  • Bumi Manusia
  • Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
  • Superman on the Couch: What Superheroes Really Tell Us about Ourselves and Our Society
  • The Indian Cooking Course: Techniques - Masterclasses - Ingredients - 300 Recipes
  • Vegetarian Indian Cooking with Your Instant Pot: Quick, Easy, Healthy Meals Featuring All of the Flavors of India
  • Playing in the Dark: Whiteness and the Literary Imagination
  • The Veldt
  • Qualitative Data Analysis with ATLAS.ti
  • Detroit Is No Dry Bones: The Eternal City of the Industrial Age
  • Signifying Rappers: Rap and Race in the Urban Present
“The history of representations of Cleopatra provides one of the clearest instances of the conviction that whiteness is the pinnacle of human beauty. Cleopatra became a byword for feminine beauty in European culture, but in the process she had to be represented as white. As” 0 likes
“As Lucy Hughes-Hallett (1990: 253) puts it, her reputation for beauty, though unsupported by any historical evidence, was unassailable, but it was not consonant with the possibility of her being any other than a light-skinned European lady, for in fiction beauty (as distinct from sexual magnetism) has traditionally been the prerogative of social and ethnic élites … the vast majority of pre-nineteenth-century writers and artists simply circumvented [this problem] by abolishing Cleopatra's foreignness and changing her appearance to suit their own ideals.” 0 likes