Start by marking “The Hand of Andulain” as Want to Read:
The Hand of Andulain

The Hand of Andulain

For most young men raised in a quiet rural village, a hunting trip is rarely something to cause excitement. But when Bran Somnerson encounters a mysterious being, mortally wounded and running for its life, all hope of a normal afternoon fades away.

This being, one of the legendary Eki, is a messenger who has traveled far from home to deliver a plain metal arm band on a mi
Published (first published March 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Hand of Andulain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hand of Andulain

Rob
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the plot and characters in this book. Its a classic "greatness thrust upon" story with interesting themes throughout. The villains are truly despicable and the hero is likeable. The magic system is interesting and I'm looking forward to more description of its workings. The setting is varied enough to keep things fresh. Excellent description has you feeling like you're traveling alongside the characters.

My only complaint (and reason for the minus .5 star) is that my copy
Jeremiah Johnson
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fun fantasy novel. The characters are very well done and quite likable.
I really like that this is the first book of a series, but is a great stand alone novel in itself.
Looking forward to the next one!
Tess Ailshire
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Formulaic fantasy - boy/man thrust into a role he is unprepared for and must save the world. Those who should have taught him earlier now "helping" him find his way.

Even formulaic, it could have been a good read. Sophomoric sentence structure and egregious word misuse relegate it to the bottom of the "must read" list. I won't be following up with the next volume(s)
Volpot
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars.
Matt
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
(from my Amazon review):
You're always taking a bit of a risk when you read an author's first book--especially in a genre as full of amateur attempts as the fantasy genre. This, however, is no amateur hack at a fantasy novel; it's a great read which was painfully difficult to set down, and I'm very anxious for the rest of the series. It was endlessly worth what I paid for it--a great and exciting read, with enough variety chapter-by-chapter that I couldn't even tell myself to set it down "just at
Becky
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I got about a third of the way through this book and then abandoned it. This is the first book in a series (I think there are two that are currently published) and I just wasn't enthralled enough to feel like I would continue with the next book. I'm not a big heroic fantasy fan and I guess I just couldn't get into the story and characters. Anyone who enjoys heroic fantasy would like this book.
Jason Zimdars
Dec 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
Quit this one about 1/3 of the way through.

It just never grabbed me. The fantasy setting and story are trite and there is almost no character development. I pushed through a lot more of this book than it deserved hoping for something to pull me in, but I'm giving up.
Lynda
Dec 30, 2014
amber
Feb 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: free-kindle-book
Rated this on accident and can't get it to delete unformed the iPhone app. Haven't read it yet!
Jon
Apr 19, 2011
Claire Thompson
Sep 19, 2014
RobinHelene Carlton
rated it did not like it
Jun 03, 2012
Mar 09, 2012
James Loscombe
Mar 21, 2012
Aaron Mahnke
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Declan
Michael Ramm
Apr 23, 2016
Eruwenn
Oct 01, 2012

• Second Sight (Tales of the Lifesong, #2)
  • Travellers' Rest (Morlock Ambosius, #0.5)
  • Sorcerer’s Code
  • From a Far Land (Jaben's Rift, #1)
  • Burial to Follow
  • Raven's Heart: A Tale from the World of Secramore
  • The Gateway (The Harbinger of Doom Saga, #1 novella length)
  • Devil's Lair
  • Fezariu's Epiphany (The Elencheran Chronicles #1)
  • Treespeaker (Treespeaker #1)
  • The Venom of Vipers
  • A Tide of Shadows (Chronicles of Llars, #1)
  • Stained Glass Monsters (Eferum, #1)
  • The Last Goddess (The Shattered Messiah #1)
  • Amulet (DragonBlade #1)
  • City of Rogues: Book I of The Kobalos Trilogy (The Ursian Chronicles)
  • Redheart (Leland Dragon #1)
  • Soul Born (Soul Born Saga, #1)
Aaron Mahnke is the creator, producer, and host of the hit podcast Lore (Best of iTunes 2015 & 2016), Executive Producer of the Lore television show on Amazon (from the producers of The Walking Dead), and author of The World of Lore book series (Penguin Random House / Del Rey).

Born and raised in Illinois, Aaron now lives with his wife and children on the historic North Shore of Boston, where h