Start by marking “Allerzielen (All Souls Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Allerzielen (All Souls Trilogy #1)

Allerzielen (All Souls Trilogy #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  259,912 Ratings  ·  26,053 Reviews
Wanneer historicus Diana Bishop in de Bodleian-bibliotheek in Oxford per toeval een betoverd alchemistisch manuscript opent, dringt er ongewild magie binnen in haar zorgvuldig alledaags gehouden leven. Hoewel ze van een oud heksengeslacht afstamt, wil ze met die familie-erfenis absoluut niets te maken hebben. Maar Diana merkt dat ze de wereld van magie niet meer op afstand ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Boekerij (first published February 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Allerzielen, please sign up.

Dianne I enjoyed this a lot too so some of my other favorites are:

Sarah Maas - Throne of Glass series
^^My new favorite author and series!!
Sarah Maas - A…more
I enjoyed this a lot too so some of my other favorites are:

Sarah Maas - Throne of Glass series
^^My new favorite author and series!!
Sarah Maas - A Court of Thorns and Roses series
Ted Dekker/Tosca Lee - The Books of Mortals series
Phillip Pullman - His Dark Materials trilogy
Piers Anthony - Incarnations of Immortality series

I'm also big into mythology so all the Rick Riordan books are great and he's got Greek, Roman, and Egyptian covered! All very well written and the Greek actually do a few cross-overs into the Roman series so that was fun.(less)
Karen I only read before going to sleep...the first few chapters were a little slow...but finally got to the 5th chapter and now I wish I had more hours at…moreI only read before going to sleep...the first few chapters were a little slow...but finally got to the 5th chapter and now I wish I had more hours at night to read...to answer your question, it's not a YA...but it's not disappointing either.(less)

Kristina
This is an odd book. Now that I have finished reading it, I'm not sure why I was so enamored of it. With so much discussion of spells and enchantment, I wouldn't be surprised if the book put a spell on me. Despite overall enjoying the book, there are still lots of things about it that irritated me. First, the author needed a better editor. I am finding more often that books surrounded by a certain amount of hype are not well-edited. I don't know if the editors think that every word the author wr ...more
Jenne
May 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
okay, so the good things: I liked the world/mythology/etc, and was amused by the Anne Rice reference! And I also liked the subtle pro-gay marriage message.
It could have actually been a lot of fun except for the romance part, which went like this: (SPOILERS!)

Diana: I am exceptionally good at being a historian of science, and I even have a job at Yale! I am also a witch, but I don't use my powers. Much.
Gosh this mysterious manuscript sure is mysterious!

Matthew: I AM TALL. I WENT THROUGH YOUR PAPE
Sasha Alsberg
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sorry Bronze Horseman, A Discovery of Witches has taken the #2 spot for my favorite book <3
Squee
Sep 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Catie
This book kept me hanging on just enough to stop me from abandoning it. I’m not really sure who this book is aimed at; it’s a very pedestrian, traditional romance wrapped up in a nearly 600 page, painfully slow tale filled with history and science. It’s a bit like a Hallmark card wrapped up in an encyclopedia. The history and science buffs will be turned off by the cheesy center, and the romance lovers will resent having to wade through pages of endless description and detail just to get to the ...more
Arni Vidar Bjorgvinsson
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, amazon
It's quite difficult to gather my thoughts well enough to manage a review. I don't know how or where to begin.

I started this book 4 evenings ago, and all I really knew about it was that it was a Witches and Vampires book. Fine, I'll give that a go. As the pages wore on, however, I realized that I was barely making any headway on the % counter. Upon checking, I then found that this book is almost 800 pages long, which is more than almost all of my fantasy DTB's. Wow.

I started reading this book ju
kari
Apr 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS ACTUALLY ZERO stars, but it won't be listed if I put zero, so, just so you know - ZERO!.
I thought this was going to be a really entertaining read, but I'm giving up. The main character makes no sense, whatsoever. We're told that she isn't able to do magic and then she does magic. Huh???
And then we have the vampire sneaking in her window and watching her sleep, fascinated by her sleeping. Where have I read this before? Let's see....... can anyone think of where they might have read this?
Nataliya
For mere two bucks I rescued this book from a dusty shelf of a local Goodwill store, adopting it with high hopes.

For free, I returned it to the same shelf a few weeks later with dejected feeling, sandwiching it between a rejected copy of 'Twilight' and a tattered paperback with a shirtless guy on the cover.

At least it found its rightful spot. And I'm out only two dollars. And I would have gladly paid more to free my own bookshelf of this book.

So it goes.

My books mercilessly rejected the intrude
veganjilly
Apr 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites
HOLY. FREAKING. CRAP. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just finished this book last night, and I was blown away by it. This is easily going to be the best book that I will read this year, and is going in my top 10 list of best fiction books of all time! Excellent fiction is not always easy to come by. I don't mind mediocre reads from time to time, but it is SO GREAT to be totally stunned by an indescribably excellent book every once in awhile!

For one thing, this book is so well-written. The author
Kat  Hooper
Feb 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Dr. Diana Bishop, descendant of the famous Bridget Bishop of Salem, Massachusetts, turned her back on her natural powers after her parents were killed when she was a child. Instead, she relied on her brain power, went to Oxford and Yale, and became a well-known researcher in the field of history of science. Now she’s back at Oxford, spending the year studying old alchemical texts archived at the Bodleian Library. But when she calls the book known as Ashmol
Who would you like to see play Diana Bishop in the ADOW movie? 391 2545 Jan 15, 2018 08:32AM
Love this book 1 9 Nov 17, 2017 01:47PM
Books & Coffee: October 2017: A Discovery of Witches 15 31 Oct 16, 2017 04:32AM
  • The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen, #2)
  • A Reckless Witch (A Modern Witch, #3)
  • Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors (Jane Jameson, #4)
  • Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4)
  • Archangel's Consort (Guild Hunter, #3)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
  • Lothaire (Immortals After Dark #12)
  • Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3)
  • Shadowfever (Fever, #5)
  • Blodsøstre (Blodets Bånd #1)
  • Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • Petty Magic: Being the Memoirs and Confessions of Miss Evelyn Harbinger, Temptress and Troublemaker
My life has been a series of left turns that nevertheless took me in the right direction (though it didn't always seem so at the time). I went to college to be a theater major and ended up studying the Renaissance. I went to grad school to become a college administrator and loved to teach so much I became a college professor instead. I thought I wanted to be a Tudor-Stuart historian, and found mys ...more
More about Deborah Harkness...

All Souls Trilogy (4 books)
  • Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2)
  • The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy, #3)
  • The Serpent's Mirror
“Just because something seems impossible doesn’t make it untrue,” 248 likes
“As fast as I can tell there are only two emotions that keep the world spinning year after year...One is fear. The other is desire.” 182 likes