Start by marking “Frozen Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #3)” as Want to Read:
Frozen Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #3)

Frozen Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries #3)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,038 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews

Death is never pretty, and deputy coroner Mattie Winston's latest case is no exception. But this victim certainly was strikingly beautiful. . .before someone stuck that knife into her chest.

Published September 1st 2011 by Kensington (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Frozen Stiff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frozen Stiff

Courtnie
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, mystery, cozy, 2016
Mattie Winston, assistant to the medical examiner, shows up to a murder scene on a snow covered morning to a cold but lovely corpse. Unfortunately, this dead lady has ties to a certain hot cop of Mattie's complicated acquaintance. While the evidence is piling up against one, Steve Hurley, Mattie tries to find the truth of the murder and her feelings, all while trying to keep her job.

I liked this installment a lot and am so glad I was introduced to this series of cozies.

Mattie Winston is a riot
Betty
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mattie New Problems

Hoover is barking and won't stop. Mattie is desperate for him to be quiet. She opens her door and Hoover heads to her home. Mattie wonders if David in the home, calls 119 and rushes toward the house. Hoover by her side. Is David safe? All the evidence points again point to homicide detective Steve Hurley. Two earlier homicides have ties to Steve. Mattie must find answers before she loses her job and Steve ends up convicted of murder.
Erin L
Sep 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-pi
I struggled with this one because of Mattie. I found her way to focused on her weight AND the weight of others. She devotes entire paragraphs to the way people eat, what they're eating, where they're eating and I just want to slap her and tell her to shut up. We get it, he's a fat, lazy sloth who eats like a pig. You covered that VERY early in the book. No need to return to it.

But in this book, there seems to be no end of unnecessary information and some completely unnecessary scenes that made
Richard
Sep 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Richard by: I read a review.
It's a little hard to get a grip on just how small a town Sorenson, Wisconsin is, or how close it is to Milwaukee. They seem to have everything a city would have for the police department, but not much for shopping, entertainment, or large residential section.

I found this book a little too light for my personal taste, and the plus size Mattie Winston too concerned with how large she is or if a certain male really likes her. It sounds too much like 6th grade sometimes.
Stacey Pagan
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a read! I was so happy to be on winter break when I read this because I couldn’t put it down! This is my first novel by Ryan, but it won’t be my last!

Mattie Winston seems to have a knack for finding trouble or trouble finding her, and Frozen Stiff is full of trouble for Mattie! As a previous ER nurse, she is now working as deputy coroner given that she found her husband canoodling with other nurses. She is relatively new to the position and in dire needs of the income. However, in this nov
David Caldwell
I won a copy on Goodreads first reads.
This is not one of those mysteries that smashes you over the head with dozens of suspects and red herrings.It is a solid amateur procedural.Usually the amateur sleuth would be able to solve the mystery much sooner if they just told the police what they knew.This time, there is good reasons to withhold the info.Also when it is the right time,Mattie does get the police involved instead of trying to catch the killer by herself.All together, a very solid and b
A
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
This mystery is a bit of a stinker. I live in Wisconsin and my mom sent this pulp mystery my way. I finished it only because it is set in Wisconsin. The mystery itself is impossible in many ways. It has so many holes that you could drive a herd of dairy cows through it. In addition the main character, Mattie Winston, participates in so many bone-headed moves that no sane person would undertake all to prove the innocence of a guy she barely knows.

Basically if you like mysteries set in Wisconsin r
Cherie Phillips
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This series was not my usual read I'm more a paranormal reader but found it in my recomendations and thought I would give it a go and I was really suprised I bought the first one to try it out and at under $5.00 for the kindle edition I was really please and had all three read in three days. Lot's of fun I mean how many times can one person end up practically naked at a crime scene. The plots are not difficult to follow and it wasn't a real stretch to work out who was involved but it was enjoyab ...more
❂ Jennifer
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Really great story. A great follow up to the first two very solid stories in this series. The characters are just so likeable, and the plot in this one had me guessing until about 1 paragraph before the author revealed whodunit. I was completely on the wrong track until that point. That doesn't happen very often and it's so much fun when to have that "ah hah!" moment. I look forward to further books in this series.
Delitealex
3.5

Another fun installment of the Mattie Winston series. Mattie becomes entangled in another messy murder investigation. When all evidence points to Detective Hurley being guilty Mattie steps in to help try to prove his innocence. Risking both her life and her job she does what she considers the right thing. One thing I kind of got tired of was the mentions of weight and being fat.
Grey853
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, cozy
I didn't mind Mattie, but she did try a little too hard to be humorous. The main strike against the book for me is present tense. While the story was okay, it would've been much more readable with past tense narrative. That's just a personal preference.
Jonathan
Amazing, the author did a wonderful job of confusing you to a point where you had absolutely no idea who the killer was. I have to say, the killer was a complete surprise. One of the best mysteries I've read in a long time.
Stephanie
Still good

I'm enjoying these books far more than I thought I would. Mattie and Hurley must prove he's not a killer
Sheila
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This is the first book I've read in this series and I definitely need to catch up! It took me a little time to get used to the crude descriptions, but in the context, they are funny. Mattie is an "every woman" kind of person. There were lots of twists in this mystery and the all the characters involved in the murders was a surprise!
Karen Holman
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Once again the Mattie Winston mystery series creates a very interesting story. The creative characters, Wisconsin setting, and intriguing ending will have the reader waiting for the next book. copy right 2011
Aditi
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not UpTo par

Everything I liked about the first two books, the funny moments were gone from this one. I understand the plot called for a certain seriousness but I still disliked it and had a hard time finishing it. The plot was too far fetched for me too.
Broughps
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm enjoying this series more with each book.
Nora-adrienne
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozies
Frozen Stiff
By: Annelise Ryan
Copyright: September 2011
Publisher: Kensington

Mattie knows everyone in the charmingly small town of Sorenson, Wisconsin, so the deceased is definitely a stranger from out of town. If a woman this attractive had moved into town, the news would have surely hit the gossip mill in rec
Henriette
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
The book was a good read, however I found the premise a little implausible. Hurley is being framed for two murders and one attempted murder. The first is his ex-girlfriend of 18 months ago. She was killed with a highly distinctive, one of a kind knife. The second murder was his neighbor, who was about to sue him over a minor property line dispute. He was killed with cyanide that Hurley kept in his shed for his hobby, metalwork. Last but not least, someone torched Mattie's house with her ex-husba ...more
Nancy Narma
Dec 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
“You’ll Be Frozen To The Pages”

Mattie Winston’s life is never a boring one. She has had stints as an ER and OR Nurse and now works as a Deputy Coroner in the sleepy town of Sorenson, Wisconsin under the direction of County Medical Examiner Izzy Rybarceski; who is also her good friend, neighbor, and, since her separation from philandering husband, David, her landlord. Mattie’s “day to day” is complicated enough, but when the body of the stunning Chicago TV News Investigative reporter, Callie Dunk
B.
Aug 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, "slut shaming" numerous time, not to mention slut shaming a dog - no, no, no!

Even though this book is *just* kitschy mystery -- I still found it implausibly annoying. It took her forever to get to the "no way a [good] cop would leave so much forensic evidence behind linking him to THREE attempted/murders in a small community" argument instead of: "the evidence is damning/seems to say [Hurley killed them]." If Ryan had kept this story at either the neighbor or the ex-girlfriend's mu
Lucy Dosch
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mattie Winston is delightful.

The story is about Mattie Winston, who is recently separated from her surgeon husband and as well as her job as an OR nurse. She is now working as an Assistant M.E. in the small town of Sorenson, Wisconsin. This is the third story in the series, and although I haven’t read the first two, I had no trouble in following along with the characters and the backstory.

In this case, Detective Steven Hurley, who Mattie is romantically interested in, is being linked to various
Rogue Reader
Frozen Stiff is Beth Amos's third Mattie Winston mystery, and my first. The cover, with it's cartoonish art almost caused me not to pick up the book, and not reading Amos's work would have been my loss.

Thanks to the cover and the back blurbs, I expected a cute little cozy: "move over Stephanie Plum", "sassy, sexy, and suspenseful", "a spicy dash of romance". What I found was a well-written mystery, a well-drawn primary character with an unusual, and interesting background and nicely drawn local
Nancy
Dec 26, 2015 added it
Danielle Gonzalez
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read from this author, and I really enjoyed it. This is a mystery story that is a quick, fun read. Mattie Winston is an assistant in the medical examiner's office, after being an ER and OR nurse. She is separated from her doctor husband after his infidelity. This is a new job for her after she decided she did not want to run into her husband at the hospital. The story begins with a murder victim who is obviously an "out of towner" since this is a small town and nobody ...more
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
The sleuth in this novel, Mattie Winston, is the newest member of the Medical Examiner's department. Being friends with the Coroner, and his tenant, Mattie is on the fast-track to job promotion. Her personal life, however, is on the slow track and may be grinding to a halt, when her boyfriend to be, Detective Steve Hurley is placed upon the Suspect list of several murders in the small town of Sorenson, Wisconsin.

To add to the confusion of this perplexing murder spree is Mattie's ex-husband, to b
Kathi
This is book 3 in the Mattie Winston series, but the first that I've read. I'll be adding books 1 & 2 to my list of books to watch for when I'm book shopping.

As a fellow Wisconsinite (both the author and Mattie live in Wisconsin), I would have liked more place-specific references that just tossing out the names of a few cities (Madison, Tomah) and comments about the cold winters. I realize that Sorenson is a fictional place, but the book gave me no idea of how large it is or where in the sta
PacaLipstick Gramma
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Imagine Chelsea Hammer trying to solve a crime . . . with a little bumbling from Columbo . . . maybe a touch of McGyver . . . the sexual tension of the characters on Castle . . . and you have Mattie Winston!

Although some of this was a little over the top, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The humor is funny, funny, funny. And being a Wisconsinite ~ very Wisconsin. The absurdity of some of the situations is almost too much, but the author does it in such a way that it is just par for the course wit
Kimberly Ann
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Matte is putting her job as Asst. Coroner in jeopardy by helping Detective Steve Hurley (now gone missing) discover who is working to frame him for the murders of Steve's ex-girlfriend, his back fence neighbor, & her soon-to-be ex-husband (attempted).

Her philandering husband refuses to accept the fact that their marriage is over and is doing his best to convince Mattie to come back to him, her hypochondriac mother is making her crazy, and the detective assigned to the investigation has conni
Madison Mega-Mara...: Frozen Stiff 1 3 May 03, 2012 08:51PM
  • One Hot Mess (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #5)
  • Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1)
  • Grand Theft Retro: A Samantha Kidd Humorous Mystery (Samantha Kidd Humorous Mystery Series Book 5)
  • A House to Die For (Darby Farr, #1)
  • Let's Play Dead (Museum, #2)
  • Winter Wind
  • Hijack in Abstract (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #3)
  • Shooting Gallery (An Art Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Double Mint (Davis Way Crime Caper, #4)
  • Polished Off (Southern Beauty Shop, #2)
  • It's a Mod, Mod, Mod, Mod Murder (Murder a-Go-Go, #1)
  • The Wedding Shawl (Seaside Knitters, #5)
  • Remembering Sarah
  • Requiem Mass (DCI Andrew Fenwick, #1)
  • Button Holed (Button Box Mystery, #1)
  • Ghost in the Polka Dot Bikini (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #2)
  • Spider Web (Benni Harper, #15)
  • How to Party with a Killer Vampire (Party Planning, #4)
Annelise Ryan is the author of the Mattie Winston mystery series. Ryan is a real life emergency room RN working and living in Wisconsin. She has always believed laughter really is the best medicine, and with the Mattie Winston series she is hoping to "medicate" the masses.

Annelise Ryan is a pseudonym for author Beth Amos. There are several reasons why it was decided to use a pseudonym, not the lea
More about Annelise Ryan...

Mattie Winston Mysteries (9 books)
  • Working Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #1)
  • Scared Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #2)
  • Lucky Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #4)
  • Board Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #5)
  • Stiff Penalty (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #6)
  • Stiff Competition (Mattie Winston Mysteries #7)
  • Dead in the Water (A Mattie Winston Mystery)
  • Dead Calm (Mattie Winston Mystery, #9)