Start by marking “How Clean Is Your House?” as Want to Read:
How Clean Is Your House?

How Clean Is Your House?

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  271 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Hundreds of handy tips to make your home sparkle from the stars of the hit show How Clean is Your House? Kim and Aggie have taken the nation by storm, watched by over 4 million viewers every week as they transform filthy holes into gleaming palaces. Here, their fabulous tips for every cleaning situation imaginable are compiled, sweeping through a house from top to bottom, ...more
Hardcover
Published December 31st 2003 by Michael Joseph (first published October 30th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about How Clean Is Your House?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Clean Is Your House?

Sydney O (Сидней О)
This book isn't something that I would usually pick up; due it's advert- nature, but I love this show... (It's still available from Youtube!)
I enjoyed the tips and tricks. You will probably have to be familiar with the show in order to enjoy the book; but, the cleaning tips are worth it. Everything is always so simple and easy to find at your local market.
Eastofoz
Feb 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers looking for some good/easy cleaning tips
Shelves: non-fiction
A great book to have on hand when you're not too sure what to do about odors, cleaning or organizing your home etc. Most ideas are common sense that will have you smacking your head and saying "why didn't I just do that from the start!" Some suggestions aren't all that practical because they're very time consuming but if you have the time regularly then they do give excellent ideas. The index at the back is very well-detailed to find exactly what you need so you don't have to flip through chapte ...more
Zetta
Dec 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a domestic goddess, but I'm not a slob, either.

The US has Martha Stewart, but the UK has Kim and Aggie.

As an American now living in the UK, I used to subscribe to Martha Stewart's mags or watch her TV shows, so I was glad to discover Kim & Aggie.

Some of the people that they get on their TV show, How Clean is Your House should be ashamed of themselves. It just goes to show that you never know how some people live at home. I can now understand how some people have a phobia of pot-luck
Marcy Graybill
Aug 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unrealistic!
Angela9600
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting tips- I bet the TV show was pretty entertaining. Some of the info was a littel repetitive.
Mary Lou
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Good tips, but I found the colors and design very distracting.
Jo
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so far very good just read page 98 "How to make dusting easier" and to my delight on page 99 there was a STAR TIP that i found fascinating about banana skins and house plant dust. Im going to start doing it i reckon my plants will love it. Coming up on page 100 the heading is how clean are your walls. Im not reading that one even if it is page 100! If my walls are dirty i'll paint the feckers! Which reminds me how hours ago i was thinking about painting. The books good im not sure about kim or A ...more
Kristina
I love these ladies show on BBC America. They are just too funny! Their book did not disappoint! Not really a book to read cover to cover, unless you are formally affluent and never cleaned anything in your life. A great reference for those things that you always wondered how to clean, to make your cleaning routine easier and to reduce the amount of chemicals you use. It is fun and easy to find what you need when you need it. As a bonus many of the items they recommend are already in the pantry!
Melissa
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has some really great tips for cleaning and cleaning solutions that aren't all toxic chemicals. Things like lemon juice, borax, baking soda, vinegar and sometimes a little bleach all do the same wonders for cleaning for all the potions and solutions on the shelves today. I've watched many episodes on BBCAmerica from my DVR and these ladies work WONDERS to some VERY VERY FILTHY places with people that have ALL sorts of excuses. They put down all those excuses EVERY single time - a regul ...more
Ayiticherie
I thought the book was ok. I love the show but I was disappointed in the tips and the presentation. (i thought the pictures were awful and many were out of focus. Maybe they did it on purpose but it was hard on the eyes.) I did pick up some new tips but this is nothing to write home about. This will not stop me from picking up their other books and and will definitely continue to watch their excellent show.
This is a must read for anyone who needs ideas on how to clean your house. They give ideas on how to make your own cleaners. How often to clean each room. they also share ideas about laundry and how often it should be done. I learned so much from this book. They go from your entrance to your bedroom and they leave nothing out. They give very helpful hints on everything in the house. Very informative book.
Martha
Quick, useful advice on cleaning using common household supplies like baking soda and vinegar. Somewhat limited, since it's a small book and is laid out like a coffee-table book, favoring nice photos and typography over practicality, but that makes it a good book for getting started cleaning. You don't feel overwhelmed by advice. (One big minus about the design, though, was the pages with black type on a dark colored background. Very hard to read. Design 101, people!)
Kristi
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of the TV show, and I was looking for some more cleaning tips. This book delivers!
If you like the show, you'll like the book. It's organized by section of the home, and it's mostly just tip after tip. There's not a lot of pictures, but it is easy to read and understand.
Some of the tips are real timesavers.
Helene
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very useful for me as I moved into a very disgusting house!
It would have been nice to have an extra part at the end stating all the uses of non-chemical products (e.g. lemons).
It is written in the same style as the TV show so it sounds like it is being spoken by the main characters rather than written.
Anne
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf-how-to
This book wasn't as good as I thought it might be. I know how to clean a floor. What I want is a list of all those little concoctions they come up with on TV for toxin-free cleaning, like lemon juice and salt! But I don't remember which surfaces can take that, and this book didn't tell me. It had some interesting things, but just didn't deliver what I wanted.
Joanne
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me get up and start cleaning. And I felt happy about doing it! In addition to the enthusiasm for cleaning that these ladies share with the reader, they impart concrete reasons why cleaning is important. For me, understanding the topic better helped. Cleaning is no longer just something I should do for some reason, whatever that reason is. I hope others enjoy this book too.
Cat Kwiatkowski
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great reference guide for anyone just starting out in an apartment, or those "random housekeepers" who dust when they feel like it not when needed. There are copious tips on how to make things a little easier, and it's a quick read that won't take up much space on a shelf. Buy this, don't just library this.
Angineeki
Sep 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those in need of some inspiration to dust off their duster
Kim and Aggie are two of my favorite tv personalities. This book has some really good tips for cleaning every part of the house naturally -- without the lysol and windex that we're used to. It includes a fun little quiz to help you judge how good your cleaning habits are (I'm not telling you what I scored). I liked it so much, I think I'll buy it!
Brittany
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Full of helpful tips for stubborn cleaning projects. Most of this used to be common sense but was somehow lost over the years. Really loved all the natural, every day pantry items that can be used to clean instead of bleach and harsh chemicals.
Chris C
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish Kim and Aggie would come and clean my house! These ladies are experts. Anyone who watches their show will enjoy this book. Even if you don't watch their show, there are some good tips in here.
Stephanie Western
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2011
Enjoyed this quick and dirty (heh--see what I did there?) guide to keeping your house clean. I like their tone, I liked their tips, and I especially liked that they focus on using a few basic cleaning products including baking soda and vinegar rather than compiling an arsenal of toxic mess.
Kimberly Herrin
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book and had little tips. I liked that some were cheap ways to get what you needed done without buying all kinds of cleaning products.
Gillian
Mar 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i would not recommend this book.
Jenni
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-read
absolutely loved this book. my inner OCD is in love! lol
Geneva
Good basic info on how to approach and clean different areas of your house.
Chriss
Sep 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: filth offenders
Shelves: health
Love Kim and Aggie. The dream cleaning team are putting me to work on cleaning that has needed to be done for a long time.
Tawni
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How could I not love the Queens of Clean?? They inspire me!! Now, if I could just make them proud.
Jen Howie
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Am I the only one who wishes these gals were still on the air?
Lili
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperback, reference
A boook for bores if this is what thrills you then read it, but I don't know how anyone could be remotely interested in this book.
Dani
Mar 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a light-hearted tip book on housecleaning. There isn't much here for an experienced housewife to learn, but it might make a good gift for a young adult moving into his/her own place.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Houseworks: Cut the Clutter, Speed Your Cleaning and Calm the Chaos
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • Research Methods for Social Work
  • Marijuana Myths, Marijuana Facts: A Review of the Scientific Evidence
  • Hearts at Home (Heavenly Daze, #5)
  • Smoke and Mirrors: The War on Drugs and the Politics of Failure
  • Direct Social Work Practice: Theory and Skills [With Infotrac]
  • Meditation As Medicine: Activate the Power of Your Natural Healing Force
  • GREEN CLEAN: The Environmentally Sound Guide to Cleaning Your Home
  • Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach
  • Patterns for Guernseys, Jerseys & Arans
  • It's All Too Much Workbook: The Tools You Need to Conquer Clutter and Create the Life You Want
  • Viking Patterns for Knitting: Inspiration and Projects for Today's Knitter
  • Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls
  • How to Knit: The Definitive Knitting Course Complete with Step-by-Step Techniques, Stitch Library, and Projects for Your Home and Family
  • Shawls and Scarves: The Best of Knitter's Magazine
  • Be CentsAble: How to Cut Your Household Budget in Half
  • Knitting for Baby: 30 Heirloom Projects with Complete How-to-Knit Instructions