Start by marking “Land Of Mountains” as Want to Read:
Land Of Mountains

Land Of Mountains

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  104 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
A ten-year-old's new home on an exotic Caribbean island proves so fascinating she quickly forgets she didn't want to leave Texas. After all, where better than a jungle world teeming with voodoo, mystery, and a really pesky zombie, to indulge her favorite pastime: snooping.
In this humorous mystery, award-winning author Jinx Schwartz transports the reader to another time an
Published September 18th 2010 by Treble Heart Books

To ask other readers questions about Land Of Mountains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Land Of Mountains

Laurie Hanan
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Like other readers, I originally bought this book with the hope my 11-year-old would be interested in it. I decided to read a few pages, just to see if I thought it would hold the attention of a middle schooler. Well, it grabbed me from the opening sentence and I couldn't put it down till I was done. I could fully relate to the premise, because I was whisked off to a strange and primitive South Sea island at age 11 for my father's work. But that's pretty much where the similarity ends. With her ...more
Kristen
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this book in one sitting, a smile on my face for hours. When Lizbuthann, a 10-year-old Texan, arrives in Haiti with her mother and little sister, her troubles start almost immediately: she faints into the lap of the huge lady in brilliantly colored scarves selling voodoo dolls on the tarmac. Might have had something to do with the two frozen daiquiris Lizbuthann drank on the plane...
Elizabeth Ann, with her mop of red hair, has the fearlessness of youth, certain that she can survive anythi
Jennifer Wardrip
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Theresa L. Stowell for TeensReadToo.com

It's 1953, and Elizabeth Ann's family is moving to Haiti, but she's young enough that she doesn't really understand where they are going. She excitedly tells her school class, "'My Daddy's a dam builder, he's going to Hell, and he's taking us with him."

Later, Grandma Hetta has to explain the difference between Haiti and Hades (which relieves Lizbuthann, who had worried about inadvertently sending her father to Hell after an argument), but this q
Marty Beaudet
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a pleasant, rewarding read. It was a coming of age story set in the exotic environment of an impoverished Haiti, making it more interesting than if the setting had been more familiar. The narrator, an adolescent girl, reminded me of Scout, the narrator of "To Kill a Mockingbird": precocious, curious, rebellious but circumspect. I looked forward to opening it each night for a brief escape to her world.
Wanda Porter
Oct 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A ten year old girl has wild adventures when her family move to Haiti in 1954.This story made me laugh. I'm not sure kids would get the humor, but might like reading about zombies and a culture that practices voodoo.This book isn't scary, but it is funny.
Bronwyn
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I did love the characters and story in this. I haven’t been to Haiti, yet but if it is really anything like this, I want to go – and I’m not even a Zombie fan! (You’ll have to read the book to make sense of that.)
The humour is great and the writing is a treat.
Rachel
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great kids book!
Robert Boswell
Just downloaded to my kindle for .99c Great book. Found out it is a finalist for the 2012 epic ebook award for best young adult.

About a young girl growing up in Haiti. Lots of humor.
Martha Cheves
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Land of Mountains – Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat

‘Yep, that first year in Haiti was a ring-tailed tooter. I’d learned a new language, met a zombie, survived polio and malaria, and nearly started a revolution. I couldn’t wait for 1954.’

Elizabeth Ann, called Lizbuthann by most, is originally from Texas, but will soon find herself in what will become her "beloved" Haiti. Hopefully for her parents, she will stay out of trouble. But even at the tender age of 10, Lizbuthann
Bee
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
Land of Mountains by Jinx Schwartz is a young adult novel that chronicles the adventures of Texas born ten-year old Lizbuthann (i.e. Elizabeth Anne) after she and her family move to Haiti. She's a rough and tumble sort of child, always interested in snooping and getting into mischief. The story follows her as she struggles with disease, political unrest, and the occasional zombie.

Unfortunately, the first thing that stands out about this book are the formatting mistakes. Perhaps it is only the K
Sheryl
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a delightfully fun book! I didn't realize when I first downloaded it that it was a young adult book, but I'm glad I did. The heroine, Lizbuthann, reminded me very much of a slightly older Junie B. Jones. In the early 1950s, Lizbuthann's father and uncle take jobs building a dam in Haiti. Lizbuthann and her BFF Doux Doux Boudreaux, armed with horses, an unhealthy sense of curiosity, and an alarming lack of regard for the rules, take Haiti by storm. Hilarity -- and a darn good yarn -- ensues. ...more
Dava Stewart
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I generally really like YA. I read at least a few books meant for young adults every year. As many other reviewers have said, this is a good story - it's funny, attention getting, and interesting. I wished there had been some sort of epiloge telling me that Lizbuthann went back to Haiti to see all of her friends as an adult...but there wasn't so I will just have to imagine it was so.

At the beginning of the book, I kept thinking of To Kill a Mockingbird, and waiting for something awful to happen
Christoph Fischer
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Land of Mountains" by Jinx Schwartz is a fantastic read for young adults and those young at heart. Told in the instantly likable and interesting voice of a ten year old girl, we see the island of Haitii in the 1950s from a fascinating and entertaining perspective.
Great adventure and plot go hand in hand with impressive knowledge of the country and its customs. I loved this book and feel I learned a lot at the same time. An all round winner.
Linda
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightfully Fresh

I've enjoyed all of Jinx Schwartz books although this is sure a departure from Hetta Coffey. It had the same sense of humor though. I could relate to this smart sweet smart Aleck kid with a sense of adventure. The Haitian culture also spiced up the story. I've been recommending it to all
Molly
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An impressive young adult novel about life in Haiiti in the 1950s. Very informative and moving, especially since the island has been in the press a lot lately.
Having read a lot of the authors more humorous novels I was pleasantly surprised. A great plot, well chosen characters and a fascinating background made this a very memorable read for me.
Betty
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Lizbuthann!

I enjoyed this book very much. All the characters are a hoot! Lizbuthann is a very curious and adventurous young lady. Jinx Schwartz really nailed the way us Texans speak. I read straight through like I do with all Jinx Schwartz books. I'm ready for another one.
Susi
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Having been to the country where this book took place I was eager to read it. I absolutely loved it! The character was precious and her friend, the zombie, took the cake! What a ride! Jinx Schwartz, you are amazing!
Carly Kirk
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story!

I have to agree with other reviewers who've said this is a YA book for all ages. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would love to read any further adventures of Lizbuthann!
Larbara
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lovely story and descriptions of Haiti before the revolution touching on it a little bit. But since it is from the point of view of a preteen girl, her issues & responses are what's happening "now". It's a mystery and adventure. I got lost in it and enjoyed it very much.
James W. Sherburne
Bravo!

Wow, now I see where Ms. Schwartz got her inspiration to write about Hetta. Its Lizbuthanne for sure. Can't wait to read this again with my granddaughter Amelia Rose. She will love it as will you. What a hoot. Thanks
Toni
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of those light hearted, laugh out loud books full of mischief and mayhem; all caused by an eleven year old girl whose imagination landed her, her friends, her family and the whole village in mess after mess. I loved reading it.
Dick Whittington
Memoir...written from school-girl POV. Dad moves family to Haiti in 1950's while he works on dam construction in the mountains and jungle outside Port-Au-Prince. Interesting and fun read. Enjoyed it.
Amazonianz
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What fun! I really enjoyed reading this book. I'm sure the author had fun writing it, and that shows. There are many delightful scenes where we see the workings of a young mind. Funny and warming.
Beth Arocha
Loved it!! Humorous coming of age novel- spunky Lizbuthann is a hoot!
NVTony
Others will expound on story I will merely say this is one of best reads of the year. Schwartz knows how to develop characters and dialogue. Do yourself a favor and add to your reading now.
Celeste Martin
kindle young adult and older 322
Julia
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Land of Mountains

Really liked this story and all the characters. I laughed several times making folks around look at me funny, but that's okay.
Toni L.
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was an OK book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Girl Who Married an Eagle: A Mystery
  • Cat and Mouse
  • A Hostage To Heritage (A Michael Stoddard American Revolution Thriller, # 2)
  • Cherish
  • Black Thursday
  • Mrs Pargeter's Principle (Mrs Pargeter, #7)
  • Patriots & Poisons: A Founding Fathers Mystery (#1)
  • Bloodline Rising (Bloodline, #2)
  • The Dagger Before Me (Persephone Cole Vintage Mystery, #1)
  • Murder In Bloom (Libby Sarjeant #5)
  • Red Icon (Inspector Pekkala,  #6)
  • The Zenith
  • The Driving Lesson
  • Tall Tail (Mrs. Murphy, #25)
  • The Daughter of Ares Chronicles:  The Complete Trilogy
  • Devil on My Heels
  • Independence Slay (Celebration Bay, #3)
  • The Rainaldi Quartet (Castiglione and Guastafeste, #1)
Jinx Schwartz is the author of the award-winning Hetta Coffey series.

JUST ADD WATER, first in the series, introduces Hetta, a sassy Texan with a snazzy yacht, and she's not afraid to use it. JUST ADD SALT, JUST ADD TROUBLE, JUST DESERTS, JUST THE PITS, JUST NEEDS KILLIN', AND JUST DIFFERENT DEVILS get her into hot Mexican Waters. JUST PARDON MY FRENCH, BOOK 8, FINDS HETTA IN FRANCE and Book 9: JUS
More about Jinx Schwartz...