Start by marking “Irish Girls Are Back in Town” as Want to Read:
Irish Girls Are Back in Town

Irish Girls Are Back in Town

You thought you'd heard the whole story?

They painted the town green in the acclaimed international bestseller Irish Girls About Town. Now

Irish Girls Are Back In Town

...and their unique charm resonates throughout this high-spirited gathering of first-rate short fiction! So cozy up with some of today's best Irish women writers -- many favorites from the first Irish Gir

Published March 1st 2005 by Gallery Books (first published January 19th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Irish Girls Are Back in Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irish Girls Are Back in Town

Em
Feb 05, 2013 Em rated it it was amazing
Cecelia Ahern is one of my favourite writers of chick lit. It's wonderful to have the oppertunity to read any of the books she has written. Irish girls are back in town is a wonderful little collection of short stories which I loved but i'm still much more a fan of her full novels.

I think its amazing that all of her greatest novels are set in Ireland, her birth place, she writes the descriptions so accurately that you can almost sense that you are there and her magical books are the greatest! Sh
Stephy
Apr 08, 2009 Stephy rated it did not like it
Not many of these stories interested me.
The were short and boring.
Some didn't even make sense.
And some just seemed pointless.
The ones that were good were easily to figure out what was going to happen.
Andrea
Jul 09, 2007 Andrea rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit
This book is ok-ok. I learnt that I am not fond of short stories. Some stories are good, some stories are boring. On positive side, now I know which authors I will keep my eyes open for. :)
Erin
Jun 04, 2008 Erin rated it liked it
fun easy read for in-between books or on the train
Judy Spare
Jun 24, 2017 Judy Spare rated it really liked it
The first stories of the book are best
Christie
Feb 26, 2012 Christie rated it liked it
I have three reasons for picking up this book. First of all, I bought this book 3 years ago when I was going through a phase of buying any book with Cecelia Ahern's name on the cover (LOVED her story in this book) and it has since been gathering dust on my bookshelf. Number two, I needed a Short Story Collection for on of my myriad reading challenges I'm participating in and it seemed a good excuse to dust this one off. Thirdly, what better way to kick off the month of March, notorious for being ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Apr 24, 2007 Jenny (Reading Envy) rated it liked it
Shelves: read06
Picked this up at Half Price Books for $1. Honestly, most of them weren’t very good, the endings were either predictable or so contrived that they felt forced. I did like “Spinning Sugar” by Morag Prunty and “Dinner with Annie” by Gemma O’Connor. A lot of the stories, all written in 2004, take place in a post 90s Ireland where there is a huge recession, where people have been let go of good paying jobs and are either destitute or working blue collar jobs. Everyone is unhappy or at least mourning ...more
Elizabeth Rose
Jan 26, 2014 Elizabeth Rose rated it really liked it
My only real complaint is that the cover of this collection, and the title, doesn't quite match the tone of the stories within. The stories themselves are poignant, sometimes darkly funny, and cover quite a range of Irish womanhood, with most of the characters in their late twenties to their sixties. Not an instant favorite, but a welcome edition to my shelves 'to keep' as it were.
Crystal Scruggs
Carrot for Breakfast by Rosaleen Linehan: who cannot relate to this one?
Secret Letter Writers by Catherine Foley: a tad confusing on the end but, a good read none the less.
Dinner with Annie by Gemma O'Connor: nice twist to the devoted husband & trophy wife.
The End (of Their Affair) by Aine Greany: two people thinking the same thing. Interesting.
Feb 16, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Pretty good. A lot seemed to have unfinished endings. Not very satisfactory. And quite raunchy considering it was a fundraiser for children. But maybe I'm just too American. ;)
I really just read it for Cecelia Ahern. Hers was good too but I prefer her full length stories and all the magic woven in.
Debbie
Jun 08, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it
This book was a wonderful group of short stories by Irish women writers for a children's charity group.
The stories covered very intimate women's topics and I loved them all.
Why is it that Irish women write so well.
There is one from Maeve Binchy in this book, so it you like Maeve Binch, you will like this book.
Great bedtime reading.
Teresa
May 05, 2011 Teresa rated it liked it
Some of these short stories were really great, though unfortunately most of them seemed to be based on death. There were two or three stories that I did like enough to look further into the authors, but for the most part I did not get into the stories at all.
Kylie Atkinson
There are some really great stories here and some so-so stories. I love the short stories format though. You can just read one a night and feel happy. Irish storytellers are the best though. (I used this as number 12 on the Goodreads Book Bingo challenge - A book of short stories)
Janice
Feb 07, 2017 Janice rated it really liked it
Loved most of these short stories by the various authors. Definitely keen to read the first installment.
Julia
Apr 27, 2011 Julia added it
Some stories were great, others not so much...the last one was really horrid.
Amber
Sep 10, 2007 Amber rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
Most of them weren’t very good, the endings were predictable. There were about 3 of them that I really liked
Anne
Apr 21, 2008 Anne rated it really liked it
Excellent collection
Rosie
Aug 05, 2013 Rosie added it
Loved this..went on to read what i could of authors found in this book! NEVER DISAPPOINTED!
Melissa
Ahern did it again!!! Her story was my favorite, but I am bias toward her writing. It was a good one overall.
Shirley Campbell
Oct 04, 2013 Shirley Campbell rated it liked it
Shelves: womans-fiction
Good to dip into
Judy
Mar 02, 2009 Judy rated it really liked it
Short stories with a definite taste of Ireland.
Katie
Nov 27, 2007 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Fun light read. A collection of short stories, most of them are pretty good.
Nancy
Jul 30, 2007 Nancy rated it it was ok
Shelves: shortstories
I found the original volume more interesting.
Wendy
Jun 08, 2014 Wendy rated it liked it
More like a 2.5. Some good, some not so good
Melissa
Sep 12, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
I'm not really a short story person. Some are good, others are just so-so or terrible. Too many stories with no real unifying theme other than they are written by Irish authors.
Elizabeth
Mar 10, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: irish
Hate the cover, but as the saying goes... some really great writing inside.
Abby
Feb 27, 2009 Abby rated it liked it
Recommended to Abby by: others by one of the authors
Essay collections are always so hit and miss. This one had many more misses than I usually have. OK but not super.
Catsalive
May 07, 2016 Catsalive rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Some good short stories.
Shannon
Apr 29, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a collection of Irish female authors. Some are good and some not so good. Ahern's was my favorite!
  • Irish Girls about Town
  • Scottish Girls About Town
  • Essays and Stories by Marian Keyes: Bags, Trips, Make-up Tips, Charity, Glory, and the Darker Side of the Story
  • Ladies' Night at  Finbar's Hotel
  • American Girls about Town
  • Yeats Is Dead!: A Mystery by 15 Irish Writers
  • The Madam
  • The Curse of the Singles Table: A True Story of 1001 Nights Without Sex
  • Kissing Kilimanjaro: Leaving It All on Top of Africa
  • A Wild Affair (Jessica Wild, #2)
  • Party Animal
  • Lavender's Blue (Liz Danger Mystery)
  • The Tavern on Maple Street
  • Life A La Mode
  • Being Committed
  • Simply Divine
  • The Art of Undressing
Cecelia Ahern was born and grew up in Dublin. She is now published in nearly fifty countries, and has sold over twenty-five million copies of her novels worldwide. Two of her books have been adapted as films and she has created several TV series.
More about Cecelia Ahern...

“...everybody, every single person, has a story to tell. Every single ordinary person has an extraordinary story. We might all think that we are unremarkable, that our lives are boring, just because we aren't doing ground-breaking things or making headlines or winning awards. But the truth is we all do something that is fascinating, that is brave, that is something we should proud of.” 4 likes