Start by marking “The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 2” as Want to Read:
The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 2

The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 2

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  199 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The depth and breadth of what science fiction and fantasy fiction is changes with every passing year. The two dozen stories chosen for this book by award-winning anthologist Jonathan Strahan carefully maps this evolution, giving readers a captivating and always-entertaining look at the very best the genre has to offer.
Published March 1st 2008 by Night Shade Books

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 2

Peter Tillman
Pretty heavy on fantasy, but does have some good SF stories, all read before. Anthology rating: 2.7 stars.

If I had bought this book, I'd have been unhappy. I didn't really care for any of the fantasy, and I'd already read the SF stories I liked, and some that I didn't. Strahan's taste and mine overlap, but he's more interested in fantasy and (what he sees as) literary quality. IMO, of course, but I am most interested in classic SF with good storytelling.

Highlights:
*Jesus Christ, Reanimator • sho
Lynnet
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A large number of five star, 3 star, and 1 star stories. Very few stories I felt ambiguous about.
Linda Jacobs
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
More fantasy than science fiction.
Lucardus
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich spare mir ein näheres Eingehen auf alle noch fehlenden Stories. Aber ich kann nicht umhin Michael Swanwicks "Urdumheim" zu loben, auch wenn ich mir sicher bin, dass ich nur wenige Verweise auf dem Gilgamesch-Epos verstanden habe. Daneben sind auch Elisabeth Hand ("Winter's Wife") und Chris Roberson (The Sky is large and the Earth is small) sehr, sehr lesenswert. Nachdem ich in Band I Peter S. Beagle so doll fand, war seine Story diesmal nicht so mein Ding. Dafür war Gaimans (The Witch's Head ...more
Betsy Dion
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, fantasy
An interesting and enjoyable collection of stories. I loved "The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate" and "The Cambist and Lord Iron: A Fairy Tale of Economics". So amazing!!
Michele Lee
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fiction and fantasy readers
My review of this is too long for Good Reads. Please find it at micheleleesbooklove.wordpress.com
Eva
Jul 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this may take me longer than expected; then again, i'm only reading the short stories that interest me so maybe not
Raving Redcoat
A mixed bag. Some stories are merely readable, while others are enthralling. Still, a good resource for those interested in the scope of science fiction and fantasy.
Dennis Fahey
Ok mix of tales

Nothing earth shattering, but an acceptable collection. Worth 1.99 at least, although not much more. I'd say all readers should find a couple they'll enjoy.
Philip Hollenback
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This was an absolutely outstanding collection of sci-fi and fantasy short stories. Most of the fantasy was more of the speculative fiction type.
Mary
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a couple of stories I didn't really care for, but overall this was a very enjoyable collection with some high quality bits of work.
bluetyson
The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Vol. 2 by Jonathan Strahan (2008)
Steven A Baumgartner
Dec 07, 2013
John Ouellette
Mar 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Best of the Best, Vol 2: 20 Years of the Best Short Science Fiction Novels
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2009
  • Innocents Aboard: New Fantasy Stories
  • Getting to Know You
  • Platinum Pohl: The Collected Best Stories
  • Cryptic: The Best Short Fiction of Jack McDevitt
  • The Apex Book of World SF (Apex Book of World SF #1)
  • Dark Faith
  • The Best of Michael Swanwick
  • Fast Ships, Black Sails
  • Love and Romanpunk (Twelve Planets, #2)
  • Legends of Australian Fantasy
  • The Oxford Book of Science Fiction Stories
“The bottom of the basin is a vast labyrinth of stone: mile-deep chasms; sharp reefs and table-flat mesas; crenellated buttes like castles surrounded by invisible moats. At” 0 likes
“Four things do not come back: the spoken word, the sped arrow, the past life, and the neglected opportunity,” 0 likes