Start by marking “I Could Love You” as Want to Read:
I Could Love You

I Could Love You

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
When Belinda discovers her husband is having
an affair, her world is turned upside down;
she’s furious, hurt, and bent on evening the
score. But Belinda isn’t the only one in her
affluent suburban neighborhood suffering
the indignities and disappointments of middle
life. Instead of resting comfortably in the
glow of earlier good decisions, she and her
neighbors have just as much a
Published July 5th 2011 by Soho Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about I Could Love You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Could Love You

Jennifer S. Brown
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up rather at random, and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I feel like I've read a few books about the mundane relationships of suburban life (not that the books have been mundane; just the relationships), but this is the first one I've read written by a man, and I think his views were slightly different. I also love that it takes place in England. It's fun seeing, what I think of as, the same old American issues crop up in another landscape.

The book involves myriad char
VeganMedusa
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
The author is a screenplay-writer, which makes the scenes about Alan, the writer of screenplays, especially delightful. I read those parts to my husband, who chortled (yes, it was odd), albeit with mixed feelings. Some years ago he went through almost exactly that experience writing an episode of drama for NZ TV. They loved the story, but it needs more * . Yes, now it has more * but it's missing #. Now you've added * and # but the story is formulaic. Etc. A very painful experience, and it must g ...more
Pamela
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a goodreads first-reads giveaway. It was incredibly easy to get into though I must admit...a bit confusing. I had to finally write down the characters and the triangles they were in so I could keep everyone straight. Once I got the hang of where everyone belonged, it read like a sit-com or made for TV movie about love and the complicating relationships resulting of it. It was a fluffy read, that's for sure. I believe the author intended it to be that way. Not too deep on ...more
Cara
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
The author wrote the screenplays for Shadowlands and Gladiator - which I find very interesting. The book centers on relationships - between married couples, young singles, and artists and their work. I read it in a day (granted, it was my day off and I was bored) but I found it fascinating. My husband hates it when I read books that make me think about relationships and why they are satisfactory or not. I get moody and question our own relationship (which is the part he doesn't like!). I will ad ...more
Cara
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Stephen
May 05, 2011 rated it liked it
If you are middle class, or doing a little better, "I Could Love You," is not so much an escape as it is a mirror.

William Nicholson's characters can be difficult to distinguish from one another. They have generic names (Alice, Laura, Jack), are all white, and each luxuriating in the search for meaning or LOVE.

They talk similarly as well. Idioms, slang, and varied voices are not the author's strong suit, but narration itself changes pitch and tone as his assemblage of characters take turns unde
Holly
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Alee
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I was very excited about reading this book, based on the description. However, in the end, it was a good book but not a great one. If I could give 3.5 stars, that's what I would have chosen.

The good: The author's writing is at times excellent. I also appreciated another insight into cheating (although it certainly doesn't excuse it). Clearly "thinking about someone else" rather than ones' self, is a major theme. The 2 main story lines, Belinda-Tom & Jack-Alice, were well-developed.

The bad: I
Jill Meyer
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
British writer William Nicholson shines a light on love - young love and old love - in his new novel, "I Could Love You". Set in London in that fearful December, 2008, when the world was reeling from the financial meltdowns, Nicholson introduces ten or so main characters, and a few peripheral ones, who face the Christmas holidays with eagerness and trepidation. Much of the trepidation deals with "love", "fidelity", "honor", and "happiness".

Nicholson's book brings to mind the movie "Love, Actuall
Valeria Galvan
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I've got to admit it was a pretty good book. I didn't see it coming. Belinda is tempted to complicate her life with an affair, until she discovers she is on the other side of one. Her husband is having an affair! Chloe is madly in love with an older man who shows her how it feels to be "dumped". Matt, Meg's plumber, is in love with Meg, but doesn't know how to approach her. Jack is disappointed that all he can get is Alice, until he realizes the simple and comfortable way they are together. Mean ...more
Erin
Dec 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I received a free copy as part of the Goodreads First Read Giveaway.

I really liked this book. Nicholson presents mutliple examples of different types of relationships including relationships between married couples, young singles, and artists and their work and then has small stories about these relationships. The different chapters switch from character set to character set which can get confusing after a while. I sometimes had to go back and re-read chapters in an effort to remember who someon
Samantha
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, 2013
It's British, it's multiple storylines somewhat interconnected with eachother, and ultimately it's about love. There's a cheating spouse, unrequited love, true love, and love frustrated by a too-dependent family member.

Yep, it's "Love, Actually" in book form.

I enjoyed it. Well-written and engaging.

(While I am comparing it to "Love, Actually," I should probably add that the love stories aren't tied into as many neat bows as they are in that movie, nor are they as contrived. There's no running in
Heather
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was so excited to win this book from one of the giveaways, and really enjoyed reading it. This book had a lot of different characters, with different story lines, but they all connected. Every chapter is from a different characters point of view so you're reading about all these people and what is happening in their lives and see them interacting with some of the other characters.

It felt like reading short stories that are related. I also could see it being a play. The one thing that bothered
Vennie
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Ahhh, middle class suburbia! This book brings to life all the mundane issues of just that, middle class suburbia. I read it through easily, though the characters were a bit on the confusing side, and I did enjoy it. There is a cheating husband and a livid wife, a wife who's husband is "cheating" on her with God leaving the wife feeling betrayed and frustrated, a dying artist, and a schoolteacher. Basically, this is middle class America, but, set in England. People are people around the world.
Any
Barbara Ell
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Received this as a GoodReads First Read.

A seven day soap opera. A small town in England, several families and others interconnected through relationships and friendships and acquaintanceships. Marriages are faltering and strengthening; relationships are strengthening and breaking apart. Adults are trying to figure out this thing called life, their teenage kids are trying to figure out this thing called life. The one thing that everyone figures out, “It isn’t about being happy.”

Great easy reading
Susan (susayq ~)
This book had some laugh out loud moments; however, this book was rather depressing through the most of it. Belinda finds out her husband has been cheating on her. An old artist feels his life has been a waste and is angry at the world.

The prevailing feeling in here was that there was no point in trying for anything because it never gets any better. But underneath it all, there is a little bit of hope and each of the characters do have that little grain of hope that things will get better and t
Kasa Cotugno
This is a smooth, easy read, involving many characters that are all sharply defined and characterized. Lives of the inhabitants of a small English town collide and separate and go about their lives during a pre-Christmas week. The author's experience as a screenwriter is evident in the bracing dialogue and believable situations. So why didn't I like it more? Probably because if I am drawn to these English comedies of manners and just may be a bit burnt out on them. The situations, while believab ...more
Alan
Dec 10, 2011 rated it liked it
2.9 stars.

O boy. Won this one in goodreads first reads program. I love and hate this book. Some chapters are 5 star worthy some aren't even worth half a star. Too many characters most of them not very likable. Some characters do not mature or reach any sort of conclusion. They're just there, and then they're not there. Overall I did enjoy it, but points off for the pointless characters that feel like a waste of time.
Judy
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
I received this book as a Goodreads First Reads. Thanks. It made me think about various topics..infidelity,aging, relationships,etc.but I never felt a connection to the characters.I often found myself skimming over paragraphs...too many nonessential words ...it just didn't flow for me.I usually like books that have different story lines going at the same time,but didn't feel an any emotion or connection with this novel.
Kristina Franken
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I found it difficult in the beginning to follow the characters. But basically this is a soap opera of every day life that happens to every day people. There is a couple who the husband is having an affair. A wife who thinks her husband is having an affair, but he has found God. There is college life and puppy love.
All in all, it was a great read.

I highly recommend this book for anyone

FTC: I received a free copy of this book and was not reimbursed in any other way.
Linden
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting to note that most of the reviewers failed to realize that this book is actually the sequel to "The Secret Intensity of Everyday Life." It follows the same characters eight years later, in 2008. Much more would be gained from this book if the reader has already read the first one. It's also loosely connected to the author's book "Motherland," which is a story of one of the character's parents. 4.5 stars.
Angel
Dec 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a "my what webs we weave" kind of book. Characters were a little difficult to get familiar with, but gradually all connected. All in all, it was a good story, giving the "all American" kind of nature of the characters, although not set in America. It was a good story with many tells to be told.
Rita
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book. It was a twisted story on how people think. I wasn't sure I liked how it ended. It was enough to keep me interested. The honest
feelings of what people really thought were displayed in the story which is sometimes hard to take. I suppose people really think this way. The book cover is pretty and I think it was an unusual book for me.
Lori Tatar
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
'I Could Love You' is well-written and very insightful. The characters are people you know, people you think you know. You might even find yourself in here. The author, William Nicholson, has woven a tapestry of several lives that seem disparate in many ways, but ultimately are completely intertwined with each other. 'I Could Love You' is a great study of modern sociology.
Amanda
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved the author's earlier book The Secret Intensity of Everyday Life, and this one was just as wonderful. I inhaled the very tiny details of the lives of the characters, and the very loving way Nicholson tells their story.
Charisa Flaherty
Dec 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a goodreads first-reads giveaway. It was an easy read, but a bit confusing. There were too many characters/relationships to keep straight. Because of all the characters, some of them were not very well fleshed out.
Emily
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was so well-written and had some philosophical thoughts on relationships that I thought were insightful and fresh. Yes, there were a lot of characters but they were all connected and their stories beautifully woven.
Bonnie1750
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this very much. It was an entertaining read that you will surely identify with the characters. When we are young we are seeking love and as we mature we seek happiness. Nicholson does a very good job of developing his characters.
Fiona
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable stories but sometimes hard to discern who is who. I found the various relationships between gile and boy or girl and girl or girl and nature or boy and god quite real and insightful and perceptive!
Beth
This is an annoying book. There is a lot of sex and sexual talk in the book - very little "romance". The characters are not particularly intersting or well developed. Since Nicholson has been a successful screenplay writer, perhaps he should stick to that.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Book of Nathan
  • The Wrong Blood
  • Be Good
  • Made in the Image
  • Grace of Giving: Turning the Key to Enter and Experience Fullness of Life
  • A Peculiar Feeling of Restlessness: Four Chapbooks of Short Short Fiction by Four Women
  • Girl by the Road at Night: A Novel of Vietnam
  • A Jello Horse
  • Pinched: How the Great Recession Has Narrowed Our Futures and What We Can Do About It
  • The Raven's Gift
  • The Creamsickle
  • Wayward Son
  • Welcome to Higby
  • Hiding Out
  • Black Orchid Blues
  • The Beautifully Worthless
  • Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron (Jane Austen Mysteries, #10)
  • The Convent

William Nicholson was born in 1948, and grew up in Sussex and Gloucestershire. His plays for television include Shadowlands and Life Story , both of which won the BAFTA Best Television Drama award in their year; other award-winners were Sweet As You Are and The March . In 1
More about William Nicholson...