Start by marking “Groundhog Gets a Say” as Want to Read:
Groundhog Gets a Say

Groundhog Gets a Say

There's so much more to being a groundhog than just putting on a show once a year, and Groundhog has decided it's time to tell the world the Hog truth. With the help of a few of his fans, Groundhog is ready to tell everything about himself, from how loud he can whistle (loud), to how fast he can run (not fast), to how many things he uses his teeth for (a lot). Groundhog

Published November 3rd 2005 by Putnam Juvenile

Start your review of Groundhog Gets a Say
Melki
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dang it, Phil! I never watched your prediction live before - what a lot of hooey. They could just let you sleep in and flipped a coin - it would have the same results. You were pretty darned cute, though.

description

In this story, the unnamed groundhog emerges from his hole on February 3rd only to wonder where everybody went. He bemoans the fact that he is only famous one day each year, then is forced to list all his merits after the other animals balk.

Turns out, groundhogs, whistle pigs, or woodchucks -
Kelley
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
My boys like this book, although, I don't enjoy reading it to them. Better for kids who already know how to read for themselves. It contains a lot of good information on groundhogs presented in a fun way.
Lisa Vegan
Well, I really wanted to like the text and illustrations better than I did. Both author and illustrator are groundhog fans and know them. The author loves all rodents and she has a special bond with a backyard groundhog. The illustrator (who also illustrated the Junie B. Jones books) has two groundhogs living in her backyard, and some crows too, all of them she used as models and as inspiration.

This book has a lot of facts about groundhogs, and I suppose they are told in an entertaining manner.
Kristy Schwertfeger
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holidays
This was such a cute book. The children also found it very funny. This book is about the groundhog and how people only know him for seeing or not seeing his shadow. As the story continues he tells and shows all of his friends all the cool things he can do that people didnt know groundhogs could do. This book also had a lot of fun facts about Groundhogs.
Cybercindy
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Groundhog is ready to give us the whole hog of information about himself in this witty, informative tale of his family. I love to read it to my classes of students on Groundhog Day but it is also informative. Who knew so many interesting facts about groundhogs? All the readers of this book will! Enjoyable to all!
Angela Early
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable book that my daughter and I just loved - and it was so perfect for Groundhog's Day. This poor fellow just wants to be recognized for other things besides this one day of the year - very cute concept!
Garrett Podell
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: garrett-podell
Summary: The story begins appropriately on GroundHog day, and when February 3rd rolls around the GroundHog protests that his holiday should be longer than a day, maybe even a month, because a species like his deserves better. His friends, the crow and the squirrel, scoff at the idea because groundhogs are the only other animal besides the turkey to even have a national holiday; However a fellow hog who acts as a journalist or writer takes notes on what the ground hog says. The rest of the book ...more
Catherine
This book is an unusual combination of humorous fantasy characters and actual facts. The story is set the day after Groundhog Day, and groundhog feels that he is used for weather prediction and news once a year, and ignored the rest of the time. He tells the animals around him real science facts about groundhogs and their lives. It would be a nice supplement to Groundhog Day learning for elementary school students. I will probably use it along with my other books on burrowing animals. The ...more
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This picture book is a mix of humor and facts about groundhogs. My children laughed at all the jokes, and it started them on an adventure of discovering more about groundhogs - especially the number of times the yearly tradition of Groundhog Day is correct.
Alexsys O
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdg-4050-fall-17
Definitely a cute book to read near or on Groundhog Day. Gives a little bit of information on groundhogs throughout the work which is nice to sneak in a little bit of learning while having a fun and cute story about a groundhog.
Sheila
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy
This describes the groundhog's life in an entertaining Groundhog Day fashion.
Sandra
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book for my grandchildren. When I brought it home I read it out loud and my husband and I both enjoyed the story as well. It was cute but also very educational.
Melissa
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
We liked how full of facts and interesting information this book was while presenting it all so entertainingly. The premise of "The" Groundhog wanting more air time is great.
Susan Smith
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun science facts about ground hogs
Janet
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I only read the parts that the groundhog said (facts about groundhogs). the crow and squirrel spend the book giving snide/insulting commentary, which I wasn't too fond of.
Rosa Cline
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a fun sciency way of learning about groundhogs and what they are how they live. facts about them. Fun facts about them and about how their holiday started and why etc. as a storybook text you can read then off to the side has comic book type text you can read or not. Nice fun story
Cheri
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: persuasive
Could be used when teaching persuasive writing. Groundhog teaches that there is so much more to a groundhog than Groundhog's Day.
Debbie
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is written by Pamela Curtis Swallow who loves rodents. She writes fiction and non fiction and this story is a good picturebook with lots of factual information about groundhogs. The story is about a groundhog that thinks he is so special that he should get an entire month dedicated for a holiday not just one day. He lists all of the reasons why he is special, he can dig 700lbs of dirt a day, he knows how to build a home to avoid danger, he has more fans than nonfans, he can swim and ...more
Heather Jo
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Brittaney Reed
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Swallow, P.C.(2005).Groundhog gets a say. New York: Penguin Young Readers Group

The book "Groundhog Gets A Say" by Pamela Curtis Swallow and illustrated by Denise Brunkus is about a very informative groundhog who decides to tell the world that there is more to him then just his shadow. He goes through many characteristics of groundhogs and facts that many might not know about the species. He even goes to say he should have a whole month of appreciation! Such a cute book and very informative. I
April
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
1. Rating: 5
2. A book review from School Library Journal said, "While telling the facts about his species to crow, squirrel, and a hog reporter, he reveals that groundhogs can move about seven hundred pounds of dirt and rocks in one day, and that they are clever builders of burrows, they run, climb trees, and are studied by scientists. Convinced of the creature's talents, the reporter declares, You're the Hog! Operation Groundhog will start immediately."
3. I thought this book had very fun and
Peacegal
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Why should the Groundhog get noticed only one day of the year, and then everyone forgets about him? Groundhog Day doesn't even teach people all of the cool things about these interesting rodents.

It's really nice to see a book filled with positive facts about groundhogs and their abilities. Groundhogs are one of those animals, like skunks, who are pretty much harmless yet ignorant people just love to kill them. They're not protected under wildlife laws and don't have many defenders, and so people
Ellen Ramsey
Oct 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating and funny book about groundhogs. Full of groundhog lore and factual information about groundhogs, alias whistle pigs, alias woodchucks. Groundhog is getting greedy--he wants not just a day, but a groundhog appreciation month. The story features groundhog, squirrel, and a cheeky crow who counteracts groundhog's impressive statements about himself. If you want an intriguing book to present to kids information about a groundhog's eating habits, earthmoving skills, hibernation habits, ...more
Ricardo Contreras
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this informational children's book. Its a great way to teach kids about the groundhog in a fun and not to boring way. The book is about a groundhog who comes up on groundhogs day. Once up on earth people awaited his arrival, only to be reminded that there's 6 more weeks of winter. But later the groundhog is met by a squirrel, a grow and another groundhog. As he explains his life, what he can do, and how he is different he changes their opinion about the groundhog. Interesting ...more
Lisa
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I have this book in my classroom library and pull it out for various ground hog's day activities. Although it is somewhat of a challenge to read aloud and have the children follow with the dialogue, this book is great for independent exploration. In the story, Groundhog demands he is heard and shares everything thing about himself (his ability to run, whistle and how versatile his teeth are). It's a fun book from the groundhog's perspective about his special day.... and how special he really ...more
Stacie
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Since my birthday is on groundhog day, I thought I would pick this book up when I saw it at the bookstore. I'm glad I did! This was a cute story! It was a fun way to present facts about the groundhog! I also loved the illustrations. Everything was bright and colorful! Can't wait to make it apart of my future classroom library and maybe even make it an annual tradition to read it aloud around my birthday!
Amber
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, holidays
I think this book is probably fantastic for older children. It was a bit LONG and a lot wordy for us (age 4) . However, I can see where the information would be wonderful to share in a classroom setting when studying groundhogs. It is also great to just sit and talk about and not try to read everything with the younger child which is what we did. We used it more as a point and discuss book and that worked for us. Lots of good information and illustrations!
Aaron Wyckoff
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book provides some excellent factual information about groundhogs, mixed in with humorous asides from a squirrel, a crow, and a young groundhog admirer. Unfortunately, the author presents very little beyond the factual information. As interesting as those facts might be, there is not much story. In essence, it is a nonfiction book masquerading as a picture book and does not do particularly well as either, which is too bad as Brunkus' illustrations are excellent.
Hillary
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: english-355
This book was a lot of fun and would be great to read on Groundhog day. I like it because it didn't just explain about Groundhog Day itself, but it also expounds on what a groundhog is and why they're so great! Which is fantastic so your school children won't be like me growing up half their life thinking that a groundhog is a cross between a beaver and a chinchilla. It has some cute illustrations and is fun for parents and kids. Break this guy out next groundhog day!
Jessica
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a humorous informational narrative!! Many quips, lots of information! Great illustrations!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Charlie Needs a Cloak
  • Henry's Freedom Box: A True Story from the Underground Railroad
  • The Gruffalo
  • Red: A Crayon's Story
  • There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow!
  • Squirrel's New Year's Resolution