Start by marking “The Barber Who Wanted To Pray” as Want to Read:
The Barber Who Wanted To Pray

The Barber Who Wanted To Pray

This imaginative tale, based on a true story, begins one evening with Mr. McFarland leading family devotions. When his daughter asks him how she should pray, Mr. McFarland shares a 500-year-old story--a story about a barber and his famous customer.

Master Peter is a barber well known to all in his village. One day, when Martin Luther the Reformer walks into his shop, the ba
Published September 16th 2011 by Crossway Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Barber Who Wanted To Pray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Barber Who Wanted To Pray

Start your review of The Barber Who Wanted To Pray
Jeremy
Sproul's gift is not in creative children's stories, but his children's books are still useful in that they teach good lessons. Plus, the illustrators are usually top notch.

This book on prayer uses 3 guides: The Lord's Prayer, the 10 Commandments, and the Apostle's Creed. See Keller's book on Prayer for much more detail.
Leah
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really how could anything with my favorite reformer in it get less than 5 stars?!
Maxime N. Georgel
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Un super livre pour enfants, traduit par BLF et publié sous le titre "le barbier qui voulait prier". Inspiré de l'histoire vraie de Maître Pierre, le barbier auquel Luther a écrit "Une manière simple de prier". Ce livre de Luther est d'ailleurs republier en français par Publications Chrétiennes sous le titre Lettre à mon barbier. Il doit être le livre le plus court de Luther.

Dans ce livre, Sproul enseigne aux enfants à prier et le fait excellemment bien. Nous disons souvent aux enfants de parler
momma.hailey
We enjoyed this book as a family and the message is important for us all. Theology was what I was hoping for. Illustrations exceeded my expectations. The story was a bit preachy. I wish Dr. Sproul would have just started with the story of the Barber and not added the practical application of the family. For that reason I think it will appeal more to parents and less to children. We will certainly read this on Reformation Day each year.
Lisa Bittle
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Great story to introduce, captivate and teach about God's Word, prayer, and history. Wonderful.
Seth Nelson
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent.
Jimmy
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is another of RC Sproul’s children book. There has been a few of his books that I and my kids have enjoyed from him which led me to purchase this book as well. In this work RC Sproul writes a book that touches on prayer. I love how in this book as well as others RC Sproul writes on spiritual truths using a story within a story in which the first level of the story are kids hearing adults telling a story with a spiritual lesson that is relevant for them and their situation. That helps the ki ...more
Rob Chappell
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fine introduction to a simple method of prayer devised by Martin Luther during the Reformation Era. Based on a true story and a real book written by Luther for his barber, Meister Peter, readers can learn how to use the Ten Commandments, the Lord's Prayer, and the Apostles' Creed as springboards to a more meaningful experience of Christian prayer.

The narrative is aimed at children but can be appreciated by readers of all ages, and the illustrations are very realistic and evocative
Michael Schmid
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, prayer
An interesting story about how Martin Luther wrote a book on prayer especially for a barber. This includes some content from the book, which is more appropriate for children who are a little bit older and have already learned how to pray in some form or another.
Simon
Aug 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
A barber was shaving a man's hair. Martin Luther came in to the shop. The barber knew that the emperor said that whoever brought Martin Luther to him would be rewarded. The barber gave Martin Luther a haircut and told him he wanted to pray. Martin Luther made the barber a book about how to pray.
Josué Pineda
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short but I enjoyed a lot!!
Stacey
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very delightful read!
Chola Mukanga
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Could have been a 5 star but it was too short! Enjoyed reading it with my 6 year old daughter! She loves this book!
Sarah Middlestead
Based on how Martin Luther came to write “A Simple Way to Pray.”
J Layne
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful children's book about Martin Luther and A Simple Way to Pray. Three things to memorize and use in praying: The Ten Commandments, The Lord's Prayer and The Apostles Creed.
Richard Minor
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this precious little book with my family.
Congetta
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book as it shows children and adults how to pray. This is an area my son and I struggle with and this book makes it appear a little easier.
Wayne Walker
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Is praying something that just comes naturally, or can we be taught how to pray? Jesus’s disciples asked Him, “Lord, teach us to pray” (Luke 11:1). And He did. Mr. and Mrs. McFarland have six children, two boys and four girls named Donovan, Reilly, Maili, Erin Claire, Delaney, and Shannon. Every evening, Mr. McFarland reads a portion of Scripture, gives a short explanation of it, has each of the children recite memory verses from the Bible, asks some questions, and then leads the family in pray ...more
Melanie
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am a huge R.C. Sproul fan. He has written a handful of children’s books that I simply adore (including the Lightlings and the King without a Shadow) so when I heard that he was having a new book published, I actually emailed the publishing house and begged them to send me a review copy of this book- to which they wonderfully agreed. I have to say that I am a little disappointed in the storyline of The Barber Who Wanted to Pray.

Like many of Dr. Sproul’s books, this one is a story within a stor
Kara
Some of you may be familiar with the story behind Martin Luther's little book A Simple Way to Pray. He wrote it in response to his barber's request for advice on how to pray. In The Barber Who Wanted to Pray, R.C. Sproul has taken this true story and turned it into a beautifully done children's book.

The story begins with a child asking her father to teach her how to pray. In response, he tells the story of Martin Luther and his barber and outlines the basics of Dr. Luther's simple method for pra
Aaron
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My full review is available at Blogging Theologically:

“Daddy, can you teach me how to pray?” My daughter’s asked me this question on at least one occasion, and every time it’s a bit awkward for me. I’m not an expert in prayer by any stretch (in fact, I think I rather stink at it). And while I know that God is not impressed with the eloquence of our prayers and I have reminded her of this, nevertheless, I’d love to be able to help her learn to pray more deeply.

Thankfully, I’m not the only one. Th
Gail Welborn
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Exceptional!! Outstanding! Don't miss this one!

The Barber Who Wanted To Pray, by R.C. Sproul, Paintings by T. Lively Fluharty, Hardcover, Crossway Books, 2011, Ages 4-8, 40 Pages, ISBN-13: 978-1433527036, $17.99

“Daddy, can you teach me how to pray…” asks McFarland’s young daughter, Delaney during family devotions. She wanted to learn how to pray more than the ritual nighttime prayer of “Now I lay me down to sleep.”

Thus begins Sproul’s children’s story on prayer wrapped inside a true story of a
Mark Nenadov
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really simple and enjoyable.
Danette
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
For my Calvin, Christmas 2011.
Justin
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice narrative and instruction in prayer for the children.
Alex Wibberley
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Coronavirus and Christ
  • Lentil
  • Mara, Daughter of the Nile
  • The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: An English Professor's Journey Into Christian Faith
  • Hidden Worldviews: Eight Cultural Stories That Shape Our Lives
  • We Need to Talk about Race: Understanding the Black Experience in White Majority Churches
  • All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind-Family, #1)
  • The Mysterious Howling (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #1)
  • El Cid (Oxford Classic Tales)
  • Homer Price
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • The Borrowers Aloft (The Borrowers #4)
  • The Borrowers (The Borrowers, #1)
  • The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)
  • The Borrowers Afield (The Borrowers #2)
  • The Borrowers Avenged (The Borrowers #5)
  • The Garden of Abdul Gasazi
  • The Last Jew of Treblinka

Dr. R.C. Sproul (1939–2017) was founder of Ligonier Ministries, an international Christian discipleship organization located near Orlando, Fla. He was founding pastor of Saint Andrew’s Chapel in Sanford, Fla., first president of Reformation Bible College, and executive editor of Tabletalk magazine.

Ligonier Ministries began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pa. In an effort t

News & Interviews