Start by marking “The Priest with Dirty Clothes” as Want to Read:
The Priest with Dirty Clothes

The Priest with Dirty Clothes

In this new edition of his classic story, The Priest with Dirty Clothes, Dr. R.C. Sproul continues his project of illustrating theological concepts for children. In this book, he teaches the concept of imputation, which lies at the heart of the important biblical doctrine of justification.

Using the story of Joshua the high priest (Zechariah 3:1–5) as his jumping-off point,
Published February 10th 2011 by Reformation Trust Publishing (first published September 4th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Priest with Dirty Clothes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Priest with Dirty Clothes

Kaitlyn Pindak
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightful children’s book reflecting the beauty of the gospel in a way that children can understand and bring sweet conversations about the Great Prince who saved us. 💛
Travis
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It is always a joy to come across a book that helps to explain the gospel in a way that children can grasp. This is especially nice when the telling of the story brings to light important and often-neglected aspects of the good news. The Prince with Dirty Clothes is one such book.

This little book by R.C. Sproul presents the picture of Christ’s imputed righteousness for the believer. Paralleling the scene in Zechariah 3, Sproul tells the story of a priest whose clothes were too filthy for him
Jimmy
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Among the hundreds of books I have reviewed over the years this is the second time that I reviewed a children’s book (the first was God's Servant Job: A Poem with a Promise). I am reviewing this book because I really enjoyed The Priest with Dirty Clothes by Christian theologian R.C. Sproul. My three little girls who are all pre-school age also enjoyed this book very much and the book has led to deeper conversations about spiritual matters.
Sproul bases this story loosely on Zechariah 3:1-5 of Jos
Nickida Stephens
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a parent I think it’s very important to teach your children how to treat people well. I really loved this book because it retold a well know bible story in a way for kids to understand and learn from it. The story is about the priest who had to do a sermon in front of the king. On his way to the castle he fell in a puddle of mud and got dirty. He felt horrible about his clothes and tried to clean him self up. When he couldn’t get clean he still went to the castle to preach his sermon. When he ...more
Leah
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. This was a simple level of teaching the truth of Christ's righteousness imputed to us. I read it to my 2 1/2 year old and he listened intently the few nights I read it. But I had the opportunity to read this to my friends daughter who is about 6, and the discussion questions in the back were fantastic! It really fostered great back and forth questions and answers.

Truly every book of RC Sproul I've read thus far have not disappointed. I am grateful to have such biblically sound
Heidi
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It takes a great theologian to write a children's book.
Sproul bases this story on Zechariah 3:1-5 and brings it to a child's level to illustrate how Christ covers us in His righteousness.
The questions at the end are a helpful guide for parents to continue the discussion with older children.
What a beautiful way to introduce children to the deep truths of God.
Brianna
Beautiful illustrations, with a well told story, but unfortunately very reformed in theology. Which is excellent, since it's written by and for Protestants, but sad because we have to get rid of it. I had to skip over a few paragraphs when reading it to my brothers. It's supposedly told by a Scottish grandfather, so if you can do accents it would make an amazing read-aloud.
Tom Brainerd
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This may be the best children's book I have ever read. From time to time I'll gather the kids at church or at our home around me and read it. I have not been able to read it once without tears welling up in my eyes.
Kristie
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite children's books of all time! I cried when I read it the first time, and still get teary when I think about it's message of imputation and how beautifully this story is told for children.
Beth
I previewed this book to read to my children. My only complaint is that I didn't like that the priest got dirty by accident through no fault of his own. I don't think children will realize that is not true in relation to sin.
Hannah
Obviously, the story misses out on a lot of aspects of God's love and forgiveness, and the change that was made when Jesus took our sins, but the allegory is well done for what it is. I appreciate the picture of exchanged clothes, for our exchanged records.
Rick
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short, beautifully written and illustrated short story for kids from one of the most prolific Christian authors and theologians of the last 20 years.
Billy Schiel
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has blessed my children immensely!
Emily Cook
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Nice illustration of wearing Christ's righteousness for kids!
Danette
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love this so much.
Jeremy
One of Sproul's better children's books.
Ryan
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Great story to teach about God's great love for us, and the imputed righteousness of Christ. The children loved the story too!
Becky Pliego
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Love it.
Jiju Mathew
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great children’s book from one of fav teachers. Biblical. Solid. Imaginative. Captivating for the mind and the heart. Each pages are ratcheted up to captivate our own place, where we are and what this “Prince” can do for us all. The author allows the kids and the adults alike to help us not only give meaning and worth to our lives but to love it. I think if you ever want someone to love the Truth, tell them a Story and RC did just that!
Shaina Herrmann
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Read once with the kids during morning time. Listened again this week to a free dramatic audio recording by R.C. Sproul. I don't usually review children's books on here, but I felt it was worth saying that this is now one of my favorite children's books. Very well written and I'm sure we'll be repeating it again and again over the years!
Richard Minor
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am going to advertise this book rather than review it by telling a story.

I read this with my daughter who is 5. I said, “Why can we stand before God?” Her answer was, “Because Jesus gave us His clothes.”

The doctrine of imputation taught in this wonderful story.
Paige McClure
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. Great read aloud.
Kathleen Mahoney
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
A excellent book about being clothed in Christ, and resting in the promise of his sanctification.
Hope Lebedev
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, but I think I went on a little too long for a childrens book.
Heather
Jul 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I read this to three boys ages 9-13, probably a little older than the target age. They followed it and enacted with it well, though I don't think they were crazy about it. What I most appreciated was that it got them thinking. I told them up front that it was an allegory so they would stop me and tell the meaning behind the story. They seemed pleased that they had figured it out and I was pleased that they were thinking and that they could catch the parallels. However, I was puzzled by a couple ...more
Shannon Hartley
Jul 30, 2016
Pat Ennis
Apr 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Spurgeon's Sermons Vol. 1-10 (5 double volumes)
  • From the Secret Place in My Heart
  • Heaven for Kids
  • Chicken Soup for the Christian Teenage Soul: Stories to Open the Hearts of Christian Teens (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Tell Me the Secrets: Treasures for Eternity
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • Sir Cumference and All the King's Tens
  • Sola Scriptura!: The Protestant Position on the Bible
  • Wise Words
  • The Society (Forbidden Doors, #1)
  • God of Promise: Introducing Covenant Theology
  • Inerrancy and Worldview: Answering Modern Challenges to the Bible
  • According to Plan
  • The Journals of Rachel Scott: A Journey of Faith at Columbine High
  • Tales of the Resistance (Tales of the Kingdom, #2)
  • Princess Furball
  • Lindbergh: The Tale of a Flying Mouse
  • Mary Wrightly, So Politely

Dr. R.C. Sproul (1939–2017) was founder of Ligonier Ministries, an international Christian discipleship organization located near Orlando, Fla. He was founding pastor of Saint Andrew’s Chapel in Sanford, Fla., first president of Reformation Bible College, and executive editor of Tabletalk magazine.

Ligonier Ministries began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pa. In an effort t