Start by marking “Small Business for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Small Business for Dummies

Small Business for Dummies

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  215 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Get down to business with this enterprising guide by financial and business wizards Eric Tyson and Jim Shell. Small Business For Dummies means business when it comes to helping you draft a new business plan, manage cost and budgets, and maintain that crucial competitive edge. You'll profit from the hands-on advice and real-world examples that cover every aspect of stating, ...more
Published August 17th 1998 by For Dummies (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Small Business for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Business for Dummies

Chad Warner
Jan 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs, business owners
A great starting point for the person thinking about starting a business. It quickly walks you through the pros and cons of being an entrepreneur, then dives into page after page of practical, real-world advice on attaining and maintaining success.

It covers all the bases, including financing, marketing, accounting, sales, management, taxes, and growth. Although it doesn't go into incredible detail about each topic, it definitely points you down the right path, and refers you to more specialized
Kitten Kisser
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-farming
That I found this book overwhelming & confusing. Okay fine. Roll your eyes & laugh all you want. I guess I'm dummer than a dummy. This year I took the leap into the small business world. I run an Organic farm with my husband. We don't have employees, we have livestock & crops. We are a general farm.

My problem with the book is that even though it is for small business, it was too big business for me. So many situations didn't apply & had me sweating bullets. I started to over thin
Shaun Marksbury
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I'm not starting a small business, but having a church plant, I thought it would be interesting to compare ministry priorities to business advice. It was also interesting to reflect upon a couple of small-business ventures in my past. Overall, I'd say Tyson provides a good, general overview of starting and running a small business. I wouldn't say anything in here was overly surprising, and it wasn't a surprise that much simply wasn't applicable to my situation. Even so, it was good to see a simp ...more
angela
Feb 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The edition I had was outdated and referred to the internet as the "new kid on the block" and spent some time explaining how computers can help your small business. I can hardly fault the book just because I had an outdated version though. The truth is, many of the principles covered and advice doled out have not changed. It's a dry read, but it is a nice breadth of information for entrepreneurs. On any one topic, you'll need to fibd a more in-depth resource.
Mimi Somsanith
The "for Dummies" collection of books are sincerely helpful to the readers and profitable to the authors despite the occasional spelling errors. To me, it's like an encyclopedia of sorts to have for reference. Each book, however, can be overwhelming to digest and sometimes depth is substituted by a list. This one, though, I liked because there was enough solid material in an adequately organized fashion.
Rebecca Horner
Definitely more for someone who is doing an inventory based business or something that involves renting a space. Not something I would suggest for someone who is just looking to start something out of their homes.
Brian
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun stuff! Running a small business seems fun. I also liked the relationship advice that said don't let your business affect your home life. Consider it done!

Also, I found the suggestion of getting a modem to be pretty sweet too.
Jennifer Defoy
Oct 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I've read this book a few times, in parts. Overall I think the information that is provided in this book is very useful. But it is very basic. I am currently pursuing a business degree and I am finding there is so much more to the concepts and ideas that are presented in this book.
Risti
well, i was just started. after finally found my passion on doing my very own small business.
Di
Mar 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is what you'd expect - an easy to read book with introductory info on how to start a business. I would recommend it.
Rebecca
Aug 16, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
I read through it once a few years ago, and I'm not sure I've opened it since.
Clare Lancaster
Hoping to learn about the book-keeping part :(
David Delaney
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice quick guide and definitely recommended as an introduction.
Crossed
Jan 31, 2016
Kim
Oct 02, 2016
Mary Zamora
rated it did not like it
Oct 09, 2014
  • Accounting for Dummies
  • Success For Dummies
  • Reiki For Dummies
  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies
  • Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own Business, Keep Your Books, Pay Your Taxes & Stay Out of Trouble (Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own ... Keep Yourbooks, Pay Your Taxes, & Stay Ou)
  • Borderline Personality Disorder for Dummies
  • Managing for Dummies
  • Public Speaking for Dummies
  • Stress Management for Dummies
  • The Girl's Guide to Starting Your Own Business: Candid Advice, Frank Talk, and True Stories for the Successful Entrepreneur
  • Fitness For Dummies

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
    $15.99 $2.99
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
    $12.99 $3.99
  • American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chancers: Addiction, Prison, Recovery, Love: One Couple's Memoir of Beating the Odds
  • In a Different Key: The Story of Autism
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis