Start by marking “Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King” as Want to Read:
Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King

Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King

(The Guardians #1)

Before SANTA was SANTA, he was North, Nicholas St. North—a daredevil swordsman whose prowess with double scimitars was legendary. Like any swashbuckling young warrior, North seeks treasure and adventure, leading him to the fiercely guarded village of Santoff Claussen, said to be home to the greatest treasure in all the East, and to an even greater wizard, Ombric Shalazar. ...more
Published October 4th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

EmmaH My 2nd-grade teacher read it to the class and everyone loved it and understood it. I believe that 4-year-olds may not comprehend everything that goes…moreMy 2nd-grade teacher read it to the class and everyone loved it and understood it. I believe that 4-year-olds may not comprehend everything that goes on throughout the plot.(less)

Mayra Sigwalt
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: livros-que-tenho
4.5
Que livro maravilhoso!
Fiquei impressionada com a carga emocional que esse livro teve em tão poucas páginas. O autor consegue dar vida e personalidade PRA UM RAIO DE LUA! A escrita é muito bonita e as ilustrações complementam a história muito bem. Eu me apeguei a todos os personagens e fiquei preocupada com eles, torcendo… É uma história bem mágica mesmo, com cara de conto dos Grimm com pitadas de emoção e bom humor. Além de me fazer quase chorar, eu ri alto com esse livro! E são 200 páginas!!
Calista
This was a great story and yet there was something about it that didn't fully hook me. After reading his other books like the Sandman, I know William Joyce can weave a crafty tale that carries you along on wings of silver and this story was missing something to bring it fully to life.

Santaff Clausen is the name of the city this takes place and there is magic in the world that this place harnesses. The imagination behind the book is fantastic as usual. I do plan on going on with this story and I
Trish
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I must admit I didn't know the books about The Guardians of Childhood until I had seen the movie. But as soon as I had realized where the story came from, I bought all of them and thought that December was the perfect time to start reading the series. I started with The Man in the Moon, which is more like a picture book for really small children. "Nicholas St. North" however is more of a storybook, with less pictures. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it tremendously. The story is funny and full of wit as ...more
Vitor Martins
Essa foi uma leitura muito gostosa e divertida. O William Joyce criou um universo mágico muito único nesse lívro! Tudo é muito bem descrito, as ilustrações do autor são lindas e os personagens são muito cativantes.
Esse primeiro livro deixa algumas pontas soltas, mas isso não me deixou irritado! Muito pelo contrário, só me deixou com mais curiosidade para ler os próximos da série!
Super recomendo se você está procurando uma fantasia infantil bem escrita e rápida de ler! Adorei :D
Kacey
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was exactly the sort I love to find in the children's section: it had the wonder and imagination of childhood while still offering danger and adventure. It kept me turning pages and the illustrations were gorgeous.

There were so many things about this book that I loved. All the twists given to childhood characters was one of the best. The Man in the Moon, the Boogeyman and of course Santa Claus were all done in fresh ways. I even liked how djinns and Abdominable Snowmen were used in the
Andrew
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay so I saw the film and wondered what the books where like. Can you say I am the only one?

So I went looking for the books and here is the first one. It is not what I was expecting and to be honest I am very glad. This book has not only the same feel as the film but a lot of the graphics have made the transition too.

However this is the story of St Nick master swordsman and master of the north. This is the very beginning of the story where as the film in rights is the very end.

So what of this
Christian - Knightingale Reviews
“The possibilities were endless. Battles would be fought. Wonders revealed. Many journeys. Many lands. Many joys. Many sorrows." -William Joyce, Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King (The Guardians,#1)

In the center of a large forest, protected by a spirit that tempts trespassers with glittering jewels, and guarded by a ferocious bear that stalks the shadows, lies the hidden village of Santoff Claussen. This strange place is hidden from the world and is home to an odd group of i
Connor
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This reminds me so much of classical children's books. It's very different from the movie, but in a good way that I appreciated. I think it could have focused a bit more on the problem of Pitch rather than North just hanging out in Santoff Claussen, but I really enjoyed it. Definitely a book to read to young children, and for children to pick up when they're just discovering their own love of reading.
Mal
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library

This was honestly so good. It's basically everything I need
in my life, which is sort of funny because the first time I watched the film ... well, I didn't really like it. But I've watched it many, many times since and it's one of my favorite animated films. So imagine my surprise when I find out that it's based off of books. Uh, I like books. Let's read the books. William Joyce certainly doesn't disappoint, even if this is a children's book. It captivated me the moment I began reading. The sto
Drew
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read_to_kids
Okay, first of all, I feel it necessary to establish that I think William Joyce is an American treasure. A top-tier illustrator of many, many children's books, overflowing with imagination. Check out Santa Calls, or Dinosaur Bob, or the Rolie Polie Olie books (and associated television show, which worked a sort of throwback to the early Disney stuff). Joyce is amazing, and his Moonbot Studios is responsible for this year's Academy Award Winning short film, The Fantastic Flying Books of Morris Le ...more
Ylenia
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Ylenia by: Booktube
★ 2016 AtY Reading Challenge ★: A childhood classic.

*2.5 stars*

I would like to start this review by saying that I'm not the biggest fan of middle grade novels, generally. I'm starting to grow out of YA and normally middle grade wouldn't be my first choice.
That being said, I recently saw Connor from Connor O'Brien hauling a book from this series and I was like WHAT THE HELL. THERE'S A SERIES ABOUT THE RISE OF THE GUARDIANS. WHATHOWWHY.
This is me scrolling down the author's page:

I saw Rise of th
Tracey Dyck
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Plot-wise, it was a bit chaotic. There's a lot going on--ancient spaceships, the magical haven of Santoff Klaussen, nightmare creatures, moonbeams, a robotic djinni, wizards, Santa's origin story, Russian bandits, Yetis... But the wild imagination of it all is precisely what I would've loved as a child, if this book had been published a decade earlier!

What made me love it now, as an adult, were the sweet characters: mainly North himself, a dashing and daring bandit king who realizes he has a hea
Lea
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another lovely book from William Joyce, this is the first book of his "Guardians" series. This installment is a magical, fairytale style story of St. Nicholas (here, Nicholas St. North). In Joyce's world, St. North is a master thief who is magically persuaded to travel to the village of Santoff Claussen by the wizard Ombric. Ombric believes St. North is the one person who can help him defeat the evil Pitch and his shadowy Nightmare Men and Fearlings.

I really enjoyed Joyce's creativity in this bo
dania
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Review en ESPAÑOL: (view spoiler) ...more
Beth
This enchanting tale glitters with the magic of the far north. An ancient evil has been unleashed on the unsuspecting village of Santoff Claussen: the evil Nightmare King and his army of Fearlings have come to steal the dreams of innocent children and replace them with terrors of the night. It’s up to the learned wizard Ombric, his young protégé Katherine, and the swashbuckling theif-turned-hero Nicholas St. North (who will one day be known as Santa Claus) to save the day.

The story unfolds in a
juan carlos
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una historia llena de luz y de sombras, magia y fantasía, sueños y pesadillas, que giran en torno a una misma idea, la libertad contra la esclavitud.

Debo admitir, que no puedo con los libros de fantasía, pero este logro cautivarme y eso ya lo hace merecedor para que continúe la saga. Los personajes se me hicieron perfectos y dinámicos y las escenas invernales hermosas.

El contexto histórico muy bien planteado.

Lo único que no me gusto, fue que muchas de las soluciones al final del libro se me hici
sage
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children, fiction, russia
An old man. A young man. A boy. A djinni (sort of a robot-golem blend, assigned all the cooking, cleaning, and child-rearing, incidentally). An evil man. A ton of father-or-son male extras. A ton of evil spirit male extras. The man in the moon. Even a male horse and bear.

Plus, one girl-child protagonist and, briefly, one disempowered female walk-on. That's it.

Books like this are how you train a class of third grade boys that girls don't matter, except as sources of naive adulation and objects to
Tamara
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-children
LOVED this one! I was so unbelievably excited when the box set came in at work that I just had to buy it.
Way back when (2013) when I was living with my cousin and his family 'Rise of the Guardians' was my favourite movie to watch with his little boy (and also one of the only ones I could tolerate repeatedly) so I was super excited to read the children's books.

This is easy to read, absolutely enchanting and engaging I really didn't want to put this one down.

Highly HIGHLY recommend to all childr
Ellen
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This made me feel like I was reading a classic fairytale. Big on plot, not so much character, but very enjoyable.
Kristina Rasmussen
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club-books
I really enjoyed this! There’s adventure and the characters and world are so intriguing. It’s light hearted and fun. I’ll be continuing this series!
Caro
Popsugar 2015 reading challenge:
39. Un libro con magia

Debo decir que me enteré de la existencia de estos libros gracias al canal de Youtube de Víctor Houses bastante tiempo después de ver la película de El Origen de los Guardianes , la cuál me negaba a ver pero una vez que lo hice me enamoró.

La verdad es que (de un tiempo a acá) me cuesta trabajo leer algo de fantasía en lo que todo sea magia, buena voluntad, arcoíris y amor, y aunque la película me había gustado mucho no estaba del todo conven
Roy Gloeckl
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I saw the movie "Rise of the Guardians" and it blew me away. Then I found out that it was based on a series of books and my first thought was: AHHH! If the movie was that great, the books are probably even more incredible. Not so much.
It may be because these books are meant for ages 7-11 so I won't be too critical. The language is pretty simple and there is not a lot of depth to the story. I'm probably too used to YA stuff like Harry Potter to really appreciate this book but it just doesn't seem
Beth Nieman
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
I gave this book a 2-star rating because it means I thought the book was "ok," and that's pretty accurate.

I expected to like the story a lot more, based on my enjoyment of some of Joyce's delightful picture books; also, I think the idea of the Guardians of Childhood sounds really exciting.

However, the writing in this book seems a bit shallow and hurried to me, and I felt didn't quite do justice to the grand concept. I kept wanting more character development. I wanted to linger in the imaginat
Rafael Gimenes
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A fantasia que esse livro carrega é sem duvidas uma de suas coisas mais preciosas. Toda sua mitologia é increivelmente bem resolvida e ampla. Me apaixonei pela história desse livro, mas mais ainda pela sua atmosfera e pelo seu universo. Antes de ler o livro tinha muita preguiça dessa coisa de papai noel e tudo mais, achava que seria impossível imergir nessa história cujo personagem principal é essa figura pra mim bizarra. Mas surpreendentemente tomei um tapa na cara. O papai noel que estava acos ...more
April
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We really enjoyed this as a read-aloud. The kids were interested the whole time and EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I had to stop reading I was met with "Please, please, please, just one more chapter" by all three little mouths!

Lots of action and adventure. We enjoyed the foreshadowing of Nicholas St. North and the fantastic little place called Santoff Claussen. The kids really attacked the idea that today's version of the fat, jolly man called Santa Claus could maybe kick some butt, if needed! And my daug
Angela
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I saw the movie trailer and decided that maybe this book would be the one that grabbed my twelve year old sons attention to reading. You see, he has a reading disability and tries to shy away from reading at all cost. Yesterday, I started reading this book with him and tonight was the first time that he asked to try to continue reading without me. So, thank you William Joyce for this amazing book and introducing the fantastical and brilliant world of reading to my son.
Mariana
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Estrellas.
Una historia tierna dónde la amistad y la fe en uno mismo hace el cambio. Además me gustó ver los orígenes de algunos guardianes y la historia sobre El Hombre de Luna (Por si no sabían estos libros fueron la base para la película de El Origen de los Guardianes)
Creo que es una historia para alguien de 10 años en adelante.
Fernanda Mendez
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Este libro es magia pura, lo admito estaba demasiado entusiasmada por este libro, y aunque no fue por el camino que esperaba me gusto bastante <3 y realmente ya quiero leer los demás (contando los cuentos ilustrados).
Claire
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Honestly very surprised, cute story and beautiful illustrations! If the next book is at my library the next time I'm there, I think I'll continue the series. Also freaking out because William Joyce created so many of my favorite childhood movies and tv shows.
Laurel
Dec 08, 2011 marked it as to-read
This is where Rise of the Guardians is coming from?!
And Joyce himself is directing?!
AND JACK FROST'S CONCEPT ART LOOKS TOTALLY HOT?!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sign. Me. Up.
My Guardians fanfic 1 6 Dec 29, 2013 03:14PM
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 9781442430488 - 228 pages not 288. 2 27 Dec 20, 2011 07:06PM

• Rise of the Guardians Movie Novelization
  • The Art of Rise of the Guardians
  • Arthur and the Golden Rope (The Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #1)
  • Darwen Arkwright and the Peregrine Pact (Darwen Arkwright, #1)
  • Korgi, Book 2: The Cosmic Collector
  • Other Worlds
  • The Eternal Tomb (Oliver Nocturne, #5)
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1)
  • ParaNorman
  • How to Betray a Dragon's Hero (How to Train Your Dragon, #11)
  • Hook's Revenge (Hook's Revenge, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Dragon's Guide to Making Your Human Smarter (A Dragon's Guide, #2)
  • Soonchild
  • The Voyage of Lucy P. Simmons
  • The Ogre of Oglefort
  • Interior Desecrations: Hideous Homes from the Horrible '70s
  • Pip Bartlett's Guide to Magical Creatures (Pip Bartlett, #1)
William Joyce does a lot of stuff—films, apps, Olympic curling—but children’s books are his true bailiwick (The Numberlys, The Man in the Moon, Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King, Toothiana, and the #1 New York Times bestselling The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, which is also an Academy Award–winning short film, to name a few). He lives with his family in Shre ...more

The Guardians (5 books)
  • E. Aster Bunnymund and the Warrior Eggs at the Earth's Core!
  • Toothiana: Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies
  • The Sandman and the War of Dreams
  • Jack Frost: The End Becomes the Beginning (The Guardians, #5)
“To understand pretending is to conquer all barriers of time and space.” 65 likes

But stories all...”