Start by marking “Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King” as Want to Read:
Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King

Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King (The Guardians #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  4,078 Ratings  ·  664 Reviews
Before SANTA was SANTA, he was North, Nicholas St. North—a daredevil swordsman whose prowess with double scimitars was legendary. Like any swashbuckling young warrior, North seeks treasure and adventure, leading him to the fiercely guarded village of Santoff Claussen, said to be home to the greatest treasure in all the East, and to an even greater wizard, Ombric Shalazar. ...more
Published October 4th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

Be the first to ask a question about Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King

Mayra Sigwalt
Sep 27, 2016 Mayra Sigwalt rated it really liked it
Shelves: livros-que-tenho
4.5
Que livro maravilhoso!
Fiquei impressionada com a carga emocional que esse livro teve em tão poucas páginas. O autor consegue dar vida e personalidade PRA UM RAIO DE LUA! A escrita é muito bonita e as ilustrações complementam a história muito bem. Eu me apeguei a todos os personagens e fiquei preocupada com eles, torcendo… É uma história bem mágica mesmo, com cara de conto dos Grimm com pitadas de emoção e bom humor. Além de me fazer quase chorar, eu ri alto com esse livro! E são 200 páginas!!
Vitor Martins
Essa foi uma leitura muito gostosa e divertida. O William Joyce criou um universo mágico muito único nesse lívro! Tudo é muito bem descrito, as ilustrações do autor são lindas e os personagens são muito cativantes.
Esse primeiro livro deixa algumas pontas soltas, mas isso não me deixou irritado! Muito pelo contrário, só me deixou com mais curiosidade para ler os próximos da série!
Super recomendo se você está procurando uma fantasia infantil bem escrita e rápida de ler! Adorei :D
Kacey
Dec 15, 2012 Kacey rated it it was amazing
This book was exactly the sort I love to find in the children's section: it had the wonder and imagination of childhood while still offering danger and adventure. It kept me turning pages and the illustrations were gorgeous.

There were so many things about this book that I loved. All the twists given to childhood characters was one of the best. The Man in the Moon, the Boogeyman and of course Santa Claus were all done in fresh ways. I even liked how djinns and Abdominable Snowmen were used in the
Connor
Dec 28, 2015 Connor rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This reminds me so much of classical children's books. It's very different from the movie, but in a good way that I appreciated. I think it could have focused a bit more on the problem of Pitch rather than North just hanging out in Santoff Claussen, but I really enjoyed it. Definitely a book to read to young children, and for children to pick up when they're just discovering their own love of reading.
Christian - Knightingale Reviews
“The possibilities were endless. Battles would be fought. Wonders revealed. Many journeys. Many lands. Many joys. Many sorrows." -William Joyce, Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King (The Guardians,#1)

In the center of a large forest, protected by a spirit that tempts trespassers with glittering jewels, and guarded by a ferocious bear that stalks the shadows, lies the hidden village of Santoff Claussen. This strange place is hidden from the world and is home to an odd group of i
Maxi (slothreads)
Apr 12, 2016 Maxi (slothreads) rated it it was ok
Recommended to Maxi by: Booktube
Shelves: i-own-it, 2016
★ 2016 AtY Reading Challenge ★: A childhood classic.

*2.5 stars*

I would like to start this review by saying that I'm not the biggest fan of middle grade novels, generally. I'm starting to grow out of YA and normally middle grade wouldn't be my first choice.
That being said, I recently saw Connor from Connor O'Brien hauling a book from this series and I was like WHAT THE HELL. THERE'S A SERIES ABOUT THE RISE OF THE GUARDIANS. WHATHOWWHY.
This is me scrolling down the author's page:

I saw Rise of th
Drew
Apr 01, 2012 Drew rated it it was ok
Okay, first of all, I feel it necessary to establish that I think William Joyce is an American treasure. A top-tier illustrator of many, many children's books, overflowing with imagination. Check out Santa Calls, or Dinosaur Bob, or the Rolie Polie Olie books (and associated television show, which worked a sort of throwback to the early Disney stuff). Joyce is amazing, and his Moonbot Studios is responsible for this year's Academy Award Winning short film, The Fantastic Flying Books of Morris Le ...more
Lea
May 08, 2012 Lea rated it really liked it
Another lovely book from William Joyce, this is the first book of his "Guardians" series. This installment is a magical, fairytale style story of St. Nicholas (here, Nicholas St. North). In Joyce's world, St. North is a master thief who is magically persuaded to travel to the village of Santoff Claussen by the wizard Ombric. Ombric believes St. North is the one person who can help him defeat the evil Pitch and his shadowy Nightmare Men and Fearlings.

I really enjoyed Joyce's creativity in this bo
Beth
This enchanting tale glitters with the magic of the far north. An ancient evil has been unleashed on the unsuspecting village of Santoff Claussen: the evil Nightmare King and his army of Fearlings have come to steal the dreams of innocent children and replace them with terrors of the night. It’s up to the learned wizard Ombric, his young protégé Katherine, and the swashbuckling theif-turned-hero Nicholas St. North (who will one day be known as Santa Claus) to save the day.

The story unfolds in a
Mal
Dec 27, 2015 Mal rated it really liked it
Shelves: library

This was honestly so good. It's basically everything I need
in my life, which is sort of funny because the first time I watched the film ... well, I didn't really like it. But I've watched it many, many times since and it's one of my favorite animated films. So imagine my surprise when I find out that it's based off of books. Uh, I like books. Let's read the books. William Joyce certainly doesn't disappoint, even if this is a children's book. It captivated me the moment I began reading. The sto
Tamara
Aug 01, 2015 Tamara rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
LOVED this one! I was so unbelievably excited when the box set came in at work that I just had to buy it.
Way back when (2013) when I was living with my cousin and his family 'Rise of the Guardians' was my favourite movie to watch with his little boy (and also one of the only ones I could tolerate repeatedly) so I was super excited to read the children's books.

This is easy to read, absolutely enchanting and engaging I really didn't want to put this one down.

Highly HIGHLY recommend to all childr
Laurel
Dec 08, 2011 Laurel marked it as to-read
This is where Rise of the Guardians is coming from?!
And Joyce himself is directing?!
AND JACK FROST'S CONCEPT ART LOOKS TOTALLY HOT?!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sign. Me. Up.
Mariana
Dec 29, 2016 Mariana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Estrellas.
Una historia tierna dónde la amistad y la fe en uno mismo hace el cambio. Además me gustó ver los orígenes de algunos guardianes y la historia sobre El Hombre de Luna (Por si no sabían estos libros fueron la base para la película de El Origen de los Guardianes)
Creo que es una historia para alguien de 10 años en adelante.
Caro
Debo decir que me enteré de la existencia de estos libros gracias al canal de Youtube de Víctor Houses bastante tiempo después de ver la película de El Origen de los Guardianes , la cuál me negaba a ver pero una vez que lo hice me enamoró.

La verdad es que (de un tiempo a acá) me cuesta trabajo leer algo de fantasía en lo que todo sea magia, buena voluntad, arcoíris y amor, y aunque la película me había gustado mucho no estaba del todo convencida con los libros hasta que dije ¿Qué rayos? y compr
Roy Gloeckl
Jan 22, 2013 Roy Gloeckl rated it liked it
I saw the movie "Rise of the Guardians" and it blew me away. Then I found out that it was based on a series of books and my first thought was: AHHH! If the movie was that great, the books are probably even more incredible. Not so much.
It may be because these books are meant for ages 7-11 so I won't be too critical. The language is pretty simple and there is not a lot of depth to the story. I'm probably too used to YA stuff like Harry Potter to really appreciate this book but it just doesn't seem
Beth Nieman
Oct 14, 2011 Beth Nieman rated it it was ok
I gave this book a 2-star rating because it means I thought the book was "ok," and that's pretty accurate.

I expected to like the story a lot more, based on my enjoyment of some of Joyce's delightful picture books; also, I think the idea of the Guardians of Childhood sounds really exciting.

However, the writing in this book seems a bit shallow and hurried to me, and I felt didn't quite do justice to the grand concept. I kept wanting more character development. I wanted to linger in the imaginat
Rafael Gimenes
Sep 14, 2015 Rafael Gimenes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A fantasia que esse livro carrega é sem duvidas uma de suas coisas mais preciosas. Toda sua mitologia é increivelmente bem resolvida e ampla. Me apaixonei pela história desse livro, mas mais ainda pela sua atmosfera e pelo seu universo. Antes de ler o livro tinha muita preguiça dessa coisa de papai noel e tudo mais, achava que seria impossível imergir nessa história cujo personagem principal é essa figura pra mim bizarra. Mas surpreendentemente tomei um tapa na cara. O papai noel que estava acos ...more
juan carlos
Dec 28, 2015 juan carlos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una historia llena de luz y de sombras, magia y fantasía, sueños y pesadillas, que giran en torno a una misma idea, la libertad contra la esclavitud.

Debo admitir, que no puedo con los libros de fantasía, pero este logro cautivarme y eso ya lo hace merecedor para que continúe la saga. Los personajes se me hicieron perfectos y dinámicos y las escenas invernales hermosas.

El contexto histórico muy bien planteado.

Lo único que no me gusto, fue que muchas de las soluciones al final del libro se me hici
Angela
Apr 16, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
I saw the movie trailer and decided that maybe this book would be the one that grabbed my twelve year old sons attention to reading. You see, he has a reading disability and tries to shy away from reading at all cost. Yesterday, I started reading this book with him and tonight was the first time that he asked to try to continue reading without me. So, thank you William Joyce for this amazing book and introducing the fantastical and brilliant world of reading to my son.
Fernanda Mendez
Jun 06, 2015 Fernanda Mendez rated it really liked it
Este libro es magia pura, lo admito estaba demasiado entusiasmada por este libro, y aunque no fue por el camino que esperaba me gusto bastante <3 y realmente ya quiero leer los demás (contando los cuentos ilustrados).
Jessica
Nov 19, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: kidlit, christmas
A fun book, but almost like a picture book that had been padded with descriptions instead of pictures. I did enjoy it, though, and the kids and I are excited to read the other books in the series.
Katie Farmer
Oct 23, 2013 Katie Farmer rated it really liked it
I believe, I believe, I believe.
Shelz
Jan 26, 2017 Shelz rated it it was amazing
This book is a magical story full of danger, adventures and love that can totally change your perspective on a beloved childhood figure. No spoilers:-)
This is one, that you might want to cancel your day, just to just sit and read.
Maija
Oct 08, 2016 Maija rated it liked it
Very cute! Lovely illustrations.
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
Mar 30, 2013 Kat (Lost in Neverland) rated it really liked it
Shelves: cute-as-a-kitten
What a cute middle grade book.

Before Santa Claus was Santa Claus, he was Nicholas St. North; a thief, a bandit, and a skilled swordsman. The children of Earth are in danger as Pitch Black awakens again from an induced sleep prison and seeks revenge in the suffering and fear of children. The Man in the Moon chooses North and decides to test him to see if he would make a powerful guardian of the children.

The movie, Rise of the Guardians, is based off this series. This is apparently 200 years befo
Joana Hill
Jan 27, 2013 Joana Hill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Read this and other reviews at my blog, Words and Tea Bottles.

What can I say about this book? Nothing negative that I can really think of. There’s a reason these books were popular enough to make a movie, after all. My sister has all three that are out so far, and so I’ll be borrowing the second and third as soon as possible.

Anyway, people reading this review may be familiar with the movie Rise of the Guardians, but Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King actually does not have a
Becky
Jan 17, 2015 Becky rated it liked it
This was incredibly male-dominated. There were two named female characters, the purpose of one being to seduce evil men with wealth (mr. joyce, you okay?), and the other was the child, Katherine. All the other characters, the horse, the kids, the freaking moombeams, were male. There were a few mothers hanging around, and now and then some random little girl would be like "what do we do" or something, but no one else gets a name.
Alarmingly, Katherine was also the token child in this, as she's the
Kayla
I wanted to start this book series as soon as I watched the movie based on it, Rise of the Guardians. Because it's one of my favorite movies, I was excited to see what William Joyce was writing about these fantastical people who live in our imagination. This first book centers around North, the person Santa Claus was before he was Santa. Let's just say that he's everything you wouldn't think he was, apart from caring for children. He's big, tough, a master thief, a great fighter. But he has a bi ...more
Kira
Feb 23, 2012 Kira rated it it was ok
Shelves: read_in_2012
The illustrations are breath-taking, the basic characters are intriguing. I would have loved this when I was a kid. But I find there are some concepts, phrases, ideas and such that just come out of nowhere and are there solely to be "unique". There's even a paragraph at the end where Katherine "thinks" about them all: a recap of sorts. I felt like that reading the book -- few concepts were delved into with any depth and seemed to exist just to sound awesome.

Santoff Claussen is a painful name for
Margaret Alexander
I picked this up after watching Rise of the Guardians, obviously (great movie, by the way). The story was so heartwarming and I fell in love with the characters, so when I heard mention of the novels, I had to check them out. I didn't plan to read them at first, but when I read the first chapter, I was hooked on the writing.

The novel is written in storybook style. Meaning, it's all tell and very little show. Dialogue is scarce. But this is a children's book, and there's nothing wrong with this
My Guardians fanfic 1 6 Dec 29, 2013 03:14PM
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 9781442430488 - 228 pages not 288. 2 27 Dec 20, 2011 07:06PM
  • Rise of the Guardians Movie Novelization
  • How to Betray a Dragon's Hero (How to Train Your Dragon, #11)
  • The Art of Rise of the Guardians
  • ParaNorman
  • The Snow Queen
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1)
  • Rise of the Balloon Goons (The Notebook of Doom, #1)
  • Frozen: A Sister More Like Me
  • Darwen Arkwright and the Peregrine Pact (Darwen Arkwright, #1)
  • Trundle's Quest (The Six Crowns #1)
  • The Legend of Holly Claus
  • The Eternal Tomb (Oliver Nocturne, #5)
  • Hades and the Helm of Darkness (Heroes in Training, #3)
  • Bad Unicorn
  • The Adventures of Odysseus
  • Troubletwisters (Troubletwisters, #1)
  • The Night Fairy
  • Pip Bartlett's Guide to Magical Creatures (Pip Bartlett, #1)
William Joyce does a lot of stuff—films, apps, Olympic curling—but children’s books are his true bailiwick (The Numberlys, The Man in the Moon, Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King, Toothiana, and the #1 New York Times bestselling The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, which is also an Academy Award–winning short film, to name a few). He lives with his family in Shre ...more
More about William Joyce...

The Guardians (6 books)
  • E. Aster Bunnymund and the Warrior Eggs at the Earth's Core
  • Toothiana: Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies
  • The Sandman and the War of Dreams (The Guardians #4)
  • Guardians Chapter Book #5
  • Guardians Chapter Book #6

“To understand pretending is to conquer all barriers of time and space.” 59 likes

But stories all...”