Start by marking “The Mystery of the Invisible Thief (The Five Find-Outers, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Invisible Thief (The Five Find-Outers, #8)

The Mystery of the Invisible Thief

(The Five Find-Outers #8)

A thief is robbing houses in the village, leaving huge footprints that don't seem to belong to anyone. Only Mr Goon, the village policeman, has feet that big and it can't be him! The Five Find-Outers are soon on the trail and find the thief isn't really invisible.
Published May 1st 2003 by Egmont Books Ltd (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Invisible Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Invisible Thief

Start your review of The Mystery of the Invisible Thief (The Five Find-Outers, #8)
Shruti
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nostalgia
I think I'm going to cry. The nostalgia is overwhelming. I was tidying up my bookshelves and came across this series and just had to head over to Goodreads to write a review.

The Mystery of the Invisible Thief is the eighth book in The Five Find-outers and Dog series. The story follows the five children and the dog, Buster, as they investigate the robberies that are occuring in their village by a seemingly invisible thief. They are determined to find the culprit before the village policeman, Mr.
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
Findouters Challenge: Book 8. Now this was the real thing―a “proper” complicated mystery, plenty of food, disguises galore, and a battle of wits with Mr Goon but no unnecessary baiting or tricks. The findouters are at home for the summer holidays again but with over half the holiday over and no mystery to solve, they are bored to say the least. Mr Goon is away from the village as well and this time it is PC Tonks on duty, not Pippin like last time, so no chance to play any tricks either. When In ...more
Kavita
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, children, uk
Didn't have this one among my old collection, so read it for the first time. Not bad at all, but I found the culprit far too easily. Maybe I'd have been more enthralled if I'd read it as a kid for the first time.
Abigail
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Series
The eighth installment of Enid Blyton's fifteen-book Five Find-Outers and Dog series, in which a group of five British schoolchildren spend their holidays solving mysteries, The Mystery of the Invisible Thief follows Fatty, Larry, Daisy, Pip, and Bets (together with Buster the dog) as they set out to catch the elusive thief behind a string of daytime burglaries. It's a race against time, as the Find-Outers are determined to beat their nemesis - local police bobby Mr. Goon - in solving the case.

R
Scott
May 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever heard of Enid Blyton? How about her book series for kids called The Five Found-Outers?

My daughter my dtold me there was a book that she started reading but quit because it was kinda boring and because she didn’t understand some of it.

I was really curious about this because she LOVES to read and even reads stuff that I know she doesn’t really like all that much just to be reading. I picked up the book and noticed right away why it didn’t appeal to her.

Enid Blyton was a popular Briti
April
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered Enid Blyton's books in a used bookstore in Katmandu when I was twelve years old. They were the only English-language kids' books in the place and they opened 1950s English village life to me as if I'd stepped directly into a painting of it.

I kept the battered paperbacks as a reminder of a life-changing journey, and then dug one out to read aloud when my oldest son was four. He was wide-eyed, occasionally nervous, and completely captivated by the Five Find-Outers and their dog as the
Josephine
Enjoyed the feeling of nostalgia that hit once I started reading about The Five Find-Outers and Dog trying to solve a mystery! And not forgetting the grumpy Mr Goon.

Read my review: http://www.booksloveme.com/2012/09/th...
Sally
Not as fantastic as the Famous Five. But I figured out the mystery first. :P
Farseer
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another pleasant FFO mystery. The impossible crime premise was interesting, although it was easy to guess the culprit: this character was getting a disproportionate amount of focus, which only made sense if he was going to be the culprit... probably for the target audience, less experienced, this won't be a problem.

We have the usual battle of wits against the hapless Mr. Goon, the usual brilliance from Fatty, and this time it's Pip instead of little Bets the one who involuntarily discovers the f
Malin
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one was just too predictable. I knew from the start whom the thief was, and it was so annoying that it took the clever Fatty so long to find that out.

But the Swedish copy of the book that I borrowed from the library was a treat to read because it was an old copy from a local school in 1958. Waterdamaged and all.
Beth
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did remember the mystery of this book despite reading it when I was young. Some of the stories Enid Blyton writes just stick in my memory. The mystery was intriguing and it was a quick book to read. It is comforting to read a series I loved so much as a young reader. Bets has always been my favourite character from the Find-Outers as she is smart, timid and very observant.
Catherine Ryan
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable re-read of a classic Blyton on my Kindle :-)
Maisie Dappletrot
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
it was very good and very very exciting and I loved it sooooo much!👍😺😻👩🏻
Daniela
childhood favorite
Dhwani
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So good.
Leena Altaf
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
[{SPOILERS BE WARNED}]

Very interesting. I solved the mystery before The Five Find Outers did. I think it is good that the first robbery happened towards the beginning of the story, unlike the previous books. And Bets’s jealousy when Fatty was dropping off Hilary was priceless. But when I looked at the end, I realised something. Correct me if I am wrong but at the start of the book, Pip says that Inspector Jenks was coming to watch his goddaughter in the gymkhana. But at the end of the book, Insp
Wasim Khabbaz
Enid Blyton, who is the author, wrote The Mystery of the Invisible Thief. The story is the from the types of adventurous mysteries as it talks about the robberies that took place but strangely with clear clues.

There are several characters revealed in the story. The five kids are Pip, Bets, Fatty, Larry, and daisy. In addition to the 2 two police men, Mr. Tonks and Mr. Goon, and the thief himself, the baker.

The baker would go in houses wearing big shoes and gloves so the detectives would pre
Ruby Cox
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read 'THe mystery of the invisible thief' because the previous book had a lot of action and adventure so i made me want to read something more like it.
This book is about the five finder outers (Fatty, Larry, Daisy, Bets, Pip and buster the dog) on the case about finding out who the thief is. Fatty the leader and Mr Goon the town Policeman don't really get along well and they sometimes end up racing each other to find out who the thief is. There has been two robberies so far and the
Haroon Shareef
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story.Amazing mystery....The five find outers have another mystery to solve when an invisible thief started robbing......There were total of 3 robberies in total...Fatty as usual did the most of the work and were the smartest in this investigation...And as expected they defeated Mr.Goon and solved the case before Mr.Goon does...The thief who did the three robberies was the baker.......
Most of the time they were talking about the large boots and large gloves which made them understand tha
Carina
I was never a huge fan of the Five Find-Outers, give me Secret Seven and Famous Five any day. Still this is an enjoyable tale and it killed a couple of hours this afternoon.

That said, having now re-read six Enid Blyton books for the first time in 10 years this was the only one which I very quickly recalled the plot point - and in fact I recalled the villain as soon as he was introduced.

I'm sure children will enjoy this book, but I would say its re-read value is low in comparison to other books
Sean Harding
Some books you read as a child and have no recollection, this one I clearly recalled as I read it, nit the minute details, but the big picture and certainly how the bad guy did it. It is however interesting to read this through adult eyes and see the relationships in a different light, that Bets and Fatty relationship is certainly interesting isn't it? Also as an older reader I think you have more empathy for Good and less tolerance for the children. Anyway this was another mystery solved, and m ...more
Kirsti
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another day, another mystery to solve with Enid Blyton. I think the Find Outers are growing on me, especially Fatty. He really is a toad of a boy, but still fun to read about. He sounds like a good friend, with plenty of faults to keep him grounded. I read this one pretty quickly, mainly while standing out and waiting for the bus. I'll have to see how many more in this series I have, and see about acquiring the others.
Mezbauddin Mahtab
This is the best in the Five Find Outers series, in my opinion. There's a line somewhere Bets says "this seems a very grown up mystery" (or something to that effect) and it's true - this was a difficult mystery and the story is well told. All loose ends are tied up very neatly in the end and not to mention, we see Mr Good in THREE disguises. Lot of humour as well. This was the first one I read in the series and it has remained the best, after ALL this time.
David
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it
The Mystery of the Invisible Thief by Enid Blyton had lots of funny moments as the Find-Outers were always one step ahead of Mr. Goon. The mystery was good with some fine sleuthing. As usual, the motivation of the perp was lacking unless that fact that the perp was working class is motivation enough. For Blyton, this is often too true.
Nayana Harilal
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Five Find - Outers find a mystery about a robbery,, where the thief gets out without being seen, when they are bored. They give it up, and goes until the robber meddles with Fatty's shed. A brainwave strucks Fatty, when Pip plays a trick on them all, which solves the mystery.
Jake Collins
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
A slight improvement on recent entries in the series, although the Find-Outers yet again set off blindly on a whole load of false leads without actually bothering to think about the logistics of a solution that is obvious from the start!
Nivedita Shakya
THIS IS GOOD BOOK,FULL OF ENJOYMENT, GROUP ACTIVITES WERE NICE AND THIS ONE IS EASY GOINIG EDITION BY ENID BLYTON
Sangeetha
Aug 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It's simpler than other Enid Blyton mystries. Could guess the thief after reading the 2nd chapter itself. But Fatty's disguises and Goon's were awesome!!!
Tara Calaby
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I didn't love the Five Find-Outers quite as much as the Famous Five, but it was close! A lot of the stories were more interesting to me, but I just didn't like the characters quite as much.
Dyuti
Definitely the best book in the Five Find-Outers series.
Characters Are Interesting 2 10 Sep 17, 2012 02:31PM

• The Son of Sobek (Percy Jackson & Kane Chronicles Crossover, #1)
  • The Black Circle (The 39 Clues, #5)
  • The Medusa Plot (39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #1)
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • The Vanishing Thieves (Hardy Boys, #66)
  • Mystery of Smugglers Cove (Hardy Boys, #64)
  • Behind The Glass
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (The Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • Ask Me If I Care (SWAT Generation 2.0 #4)
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • The Beast of Buckingham Palace
  • Lance
  • The Dialogue of Two Snails
  • One False Note (The 39 Clues, #2)
  • Storm Warning (The 39 Clues, #9)
  • Let the Circle Be Unbroken (Logans, #5)
  • Leon's Story