Start by marking “Richard Scarry's ABC Word Book” as Want to Read:
Richard Scarry's ABC Word Book

Richard Scarry's ABC Word Book

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Learn the alphabet from legendary author and illustrator RICHARD SCARRY

In this classic picture book, Richard Scarry and his high-spirited Busytown characters embark on a wild trip around town from A to Z!

The antics begin with Mother Cat causing confusion on her way to the airport, and continue with Curly Pig crashing into a cake; jugglers juggling jars of jam; and dizz
Published August 2nd 2011 by Sterling Children's Books (first published 1st 1971)

Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I thought this would be a good choice for my son, who, at 2 1/2, is just starting to learn to identify his letters. Like many of Richard Scarry's works, it is a fun, engrossing book, with busy pages full of interesting and colorful illustrations. Gavin can stare at these for a long time, looking over all the little details.

My complaint lies in the way it presents the letters, and the difficulty may be caused by a reader who is just too young to fully understand the intricacies of spelling. Unlik
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is how I taught by babies. Ryan started reading on his own one day at age 4 and plunged ahead from there. I had no idea he could read, but I did point out words with pictures for years. So it must have done some good.
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love Richard Scarry books.
Raven Cleveland
Each double page spread in this book is packed with words starting, finishing, or including a specific letter of the alphabet. The letters are highlighted in blue to emphasize the learning point.
King Ævil
Not a classic like Dr. Seuss's ABC Book, but still a worthy addition to the young reader's alphabet-learning repertoire. Each letter (plus the clusters ch, sh and th) is illustrated with many people, things and actions featuring the letter, though not necessarily beginning with the letter. Every instance of the featured letter in the text and labels appears in magenta.

I'm sure that when I was little we had a version of this book in which on each page there was one instance of the capital and low
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is all about the ABC's. It provides all the ABC's plus some extra.
I love this book! It has great illustrations! And if you look at say the A page, all letter A's are highlighted so children can see them in tons of different words. There are lots of things going on, on each page. The characters are hilarious, and this story tells you about a family of cats life, and other creatures in a creative way. It is the best learning book ever!
I would use this book with my children! They would l
Ryan Vignetti
ELAGSEKRF1 Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic features of
print. d. Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters of the

Not my favorite book for teaching ABCs but it has a lot of words that children are likely to recognize. It is also kind of over the top. It is hard to read this book to an entire classroom. An activity with this book would have to be short and simple.

Students will be read the book as a group.While reading students can think of any words they t
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book as a little girl:) It covers all the letters as well as some clusters. My children learned a lot from reading it aloud and they spent hours looking at the detailed illustrations. Yours will too. A classic!
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute book to help children learn the letters. I read the book just to pass the time before bed. I needed something that was light and easy plus it has been on my shelves for so long I figured it was about time I read it.
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, picture, animal, abc
I 'read' this hours on end.
I think this would be more appropriate for a preschooler than a toddler. For that reason, I am refraining from adding a star rating.
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mad, mad world of Richard Scarry is all here. Beware, it's not a phonics ABC.
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a storytime book but could be used to slowly teach ABCs to a child. I like that it highlights both capital and lowercase letters and uses them in a sentence.
Karen Munroe
Sep 09, 2013
rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
RICHARD SCARRY is one of the world's best-loved children's authors EVER! In his extraordinary career, Scarry illustrated over 150 books, many of which have never been out of print. His books have sold over 100 million copies around the world, and are currently published in over twenty languages. No other illustrator has shown such a lively interest in the words and concepts of early childhood. Ric ...more
More about Richard Scarry...