Start by marking “The Knitter's Life List: To Do, To Know, To Explore, To Make” as Want to Read:
The Knitter's Life List: To Do, To Know, To Explore, To Make

The Knitter's Life List: To Do, To Know, To Explore, To Make

The Knitter's Life List is a richly illustrated road map to more than 1,000 must-have experiences guaranteed to get any knitter's needles clicking faster. Veteran knitter Gwen W. Steege has canvassed the knitting community to create this inspiring compilation, which includes amazing yarns to try; classic techniques to master; ground-breaking designers to know about; ...more
Published October 21st 2011 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published September 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Knitter's Life List, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knitter's Life List

Start your review of The Knitter's Life List: To Do, To Know, To Explore, To Make
Heather Ordover
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Anyone who knows me, CraftLit, or "What Would Madame Defarge Knit?" knows that I enjoy things that live between the lines--that aren't easily pigeon-holed. Ms. Steege's book, therefore, makes me very happy. I enjoy the eclectic nature of the profiles which range from camelids to designers, farms to fabric, and all the while conveys a gentle good humor and love of our crafts.
Anyone who loves to learn and loves all things soft and warm will find themselves smiling through this new book.
V. Briceland
Sep 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
If you, as a knitter, are so completely devoid of imagination, initiative, drive, and the ability to make endlessly long simple craft-related bucket lists that include the following

"Try knitting on a bus!"
"Try knitting in a car!"
"Knit a scarf!"
"Knit a sweater!"
"Knit a pair of socks!"
"Visit a yarn store!"
"Collect all your needles in one place!"

then very likely this book could be for you. If you are a knitter who actually has a couple of brain cells in that noggin of yours sparking around
Linda
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: knitting, skimmed
I get the idea - setting milestones for yourself - but I don't see the value in using someone else's knitting bucket list. Why not just make your own list? This is especially true with regard to the author's personal taste in patterns and yarns - why follow her design preferences instead of making your own list?
I didn't read this straight through, I picked around and read the bits I found really interesting.

This book is an overview of the world of knitting, not just the craft. It discusses a little bit of everything, including some important designers, ways of knitting, fibers, fiber festivals. It's all very light, and generally I am past it and have read the same or better information elsewhere. Where I think this book works is as a gift. I get knitting books as gifts since people know I knit, but it
penny shima glanz
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: knitters
The Knitter's Life List is much more than a list of things to learn or do. It not only includes techniques to learn, traditions to explore, fibres to try, and people to meet in list form, but it includes details about many of those techniques and traditions. It definitely lives up to its promise of providing 1,001 inspirations for Every Knitter, a claim that is printed right on the cover!

Let's use the Socks List as my example.

We start with a bang of a nice fill-in-the-bubble list of over sixty
Abbey
This is one of those books that is best given as a gift. It's an eNORmous paperback volume simply full-to-the-brim with ideas and lists and thoughts and bits'n'pieces of knitting-related trivia and information and, yes, inspiration! But I found it to be rather overwhelming in its bounty, thus my comparatively low rating. It's really a wonderful book, but it's the sort of thing you need to sample little bit by little bit, here and there, kwim? As a gift for someone you like/love who likes/loves ...more
Amy Armstrong
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Knitter's Life List includes in-depth profiles of types of yarn; an overview of classic techniques, styles, and designs for sweaters, shawls, hats, mittens, bags, socks, and more. There are profiles of ground breaking designers, based on original interviews; and museums, festivals, and other places and events that will feed the knitters curiosity. Wonderful to browse, readers will be inspired to master new techniques, learn about their favorite designers, try yarns made of rare fibers, and ...more
Nada
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knit-and-crochet
Review first published on my blog: http://memoriesfrombooks.blogspot.com...

The Knitter's Life List, as the quote above suggests, is designed to help readers discover different aspects of the world of knitting. It is not a how-to book in that it does not have specific patterns. It is more a who's who and a what's what in the world of knitting. Individuals who have had and continue to influence the craft of knitting. Types of projects - sweaters, socks, scarves/shawls, hats, gloves/mittens, bags,
Elizabeth
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
This is a sampler platter of the knitting world. Each chapter focuses on an aspect of knitting, starting with yarn and general know-how, moving through different kinds of projects (sweaters, socks, hats, etc.), and concluding with a chapter on other fiber crafts such as weaving, spinning, and crocheting. Each chapter is loaded with suggestions on activities to try, brief articles on well-known (and not so well-known) personalities in the knitting world, and all sorts of lists: books to read, ...more
Mary
Feb 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, crafts
I have a trade paperback version(320 pages) not an ebook but the paperback doesn't seem to be listed at Goodreads. Real review after reading of course.

This is more of a resource book than anything else. If you want to know which book to learn something from(and then find that book) this is for you. Or if you'd like a broad overview of a certain subject, interspersed with brief informative articles, this book is for you. But if you're looking to learn techniques(or even get much of a clue about
Betsy
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I know, I know, this isn't fiction, but there is so much to read in depth here that I just had to put it on my bookshelf. Also I would give it more than 5 stars if I had that option!
This book has literally EVERYTHING except actual knitting patterns, though it has lots of how-tos and tips, including suggestions on how to expand your knitting horizons that vary from the easy(knit a hat with pompoms) to the far out (go to Peru). There are numerous profiles of designers, thumbnail histories of
Meagan
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a person with a short attention span for knitting projects, this book was great for me. I now have a list of things I've never tried. Some of them I wanted to do beforehand and some I'd never heard of until reading this book. I also feel like I know more about knitting than I did before, though I did only skim some of the patterns as I'm not currently making anything that might use them. I thought the scope and depth of the book was just about the right mix, though I occasionally felt bogged ...more
Sharron
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
I divide books such as this into two categories. The first is "worth buying and keeping" and the second is "borrow from the library, note what interests me, and return to the library". This book falls in the second category. I did get some benefit from reading it but not enough to justify either its purchase price or filling up more of my increasingly jammed bookshelves. More and more I find myself considering cook books, gardening books, travel guides, and any sort of hobby/craft book with that ...more
Emily
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, crafty
I didn't try any of the knitting patterns, so I can't comment on how reliable they are. Some of the patterns did look interesting, though.

The author/editors seem to be trying for a crossover of some kind with this book. Rather than just a knitting pattern book, it also has features highlighting various things--unusual yarns, people who knit, etc. Some of the features were just not interesting to me, particularly the pages that just talked about a specific person who knits. I mean, I'm sure
Sara
Dec 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting book. I checked it out of the library because it was on the new books shelf. Maybe it would be useful to someone who is really new to knitting and really enthused about getting "into" everything int he knitting culture. Actually, I will probably chick it out again and read it more thoroughly. It includes many LISTS and ideas of new techniques, books, yarns, festivals etc. to try out. It might be great for a guild to use it to find out what might be of interest to the membership.

Glad
Mollie *scoutrmom*
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: students of knitting techniques
This is a good place to begin for the beginning knitter ready to venture past scarves but not sure in which direction. A wide, shallow compendium of our knitting world, complete with references for those who choose to dip deeper in any facet. It includes biographies, biology of wool-bearing critters and fiber-bearing plants, projects, techniques, tips, styles, traditions, gossip. Many experienced knitters may want to challenge themselves against the checklists. The author ought to be helping ...more
Jai
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm so happy that i picked up this book from my local library! It wasn't the normal knitting book that was a bunch of patterns and a little blurb on how to knit in the back of it. This book talked about many different types of knitting, knitting history, books and movies about knitting, spinning and weaving as well. It was full of info about techniques as well. I seriously recommend this book to knitter enthusiast. I felt the need to read every single page.
Skari
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! Some of the lists are a bit silly and I just glanced at that them, but between the short lists there is a wealth of information and inspiration, especially for a person newer to knitting. I enjoy how encouraging this book is for new knitters just to experiment and try anything, and the pages are chock full of beautiful glossy pictures. This is one I'd like for my personal collection.
Tawney
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft, knitting
Once past the list that begins each chapter this book has a great deal of information. I found the lists mind numbing primarily because of their lengths, although they do include plenty of ideas. There are nuggets and globs of learning in each chapter: technique, history, personalities. Most valuable is the Appendix which lists resources in print and online. It makes the book a keeper even if you already know how to knit backwards or have worked with pineapple fiber yarn.
Dani
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: beginning knitters
Shelves: craft-books-read
I borrowed this book from the library but quit reading after a few pages because I didn't want to ruin the joy of reading it when I bought my own copy. It is the type of book I can see myself pulling off the shelf when I am in a knitting slump to find new things to try. Although the book is light on actual instruction, it has several lists of techniques to try and books to seek out. I can't wait to have my own copy to scribble in.
Liz
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft_knitting
As a relatively new knitter, I appreciated the scope of this book. I felt comfortable enough to know many of the knitting terms (as I have knit hats and scarves and one kid's sweater). But, I didn't know a lot of the info on different authors, etc. I found my next knitting project based on her brief interviews with influential knitters/yarn producers, etc. An interesting read - great to take in small chunks since the chapters cover different topics.
Katherine
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting book, not only for knitters, but for anyone interested in fiber arts. There is lots of information on the history of knitting, but also on different types of yarn, different knitting techniques, and advice on problem solving. the book is set up to explore types of knitting...sweaters, mittens and hats, adult patterns, knitting for babies and children. As a knitter, I found it very informative.
Maralis Martinez
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is mostly a guide for making your own "bucket list" for knitting/yarn enthusiasts. It has many suggestions for techniques, yarns to try, people to go meet etc. This is not meant for people who like to knit. It's more intended for people who are passionate about knitting and the fiber arts world.
Autumn
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiber, crafts
Basically everything you need to know to understand what yarn nerds are talking about. Really a great overview of the last 10 years of knitting culture. Also, well designed and fun to read. 5 stars for telling me that Barbara Walker, pattern stitch guru and Barbara Walker, goddess expert ARE THE SAME LADY.
Jen Johnson
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafty
I am really loving this book so far,I'd put it in the same category as the Clara Parkes books that I also love. Yes, there is some repeat information but it's not a book aimed at beginners and it's not like just because you know how to cook you stop enjoying reading cookbooks! Personally I don't find the actual 'list' parts that awesome,but it's a great concept and I appreciate the approach.
Alisa
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love Gwen Steege's approach on this book -- a blend of tips, techniques, personalities, styles, traditions, and yarn fiber information. Best tip so far: adding a bit of moisturizer to my needles. Totally works well in this humidity!
Nicole
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy
So much information and places to go. Everything from patterns to fiber festivals and then some. This will definitely be a book I come back to and remind myself of a new knitting (and crocheting!) place to go.
Lou
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
A different kind of knitting book.. One that should be on every knitters bookshelf. Lots of info and ways to challenge yourself to become a better and more knowledgeable knitter. Would make a perfect gift for you knitting friends.
Gretchen
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is fun - could even be good bathroom reading for the knitter. It touches on all sorts of knitting, including things I hadn't even thought about - which I didn't think was possible. So there you go. Not a must have, but something for the knitter who has everything.
Jenny
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kniting
This is a wonderful book for people who enjoy knitting. I find the book very interesting because I have been knitting for about 8 years and I get bored with doing the same things or working with the same yarns and this book gives me a checklist so I can mix it up a bit.

• Knitting Rules!: The Yarn Harlot Unravels the Mysteries of Swatching, Stashing, Ribbing & Rolling to Free Your Inner Knitter
  • Stitch 'N Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook: Instructions, Patterns, and Advice for a New Generation of Knitters
  • The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Knitting: Learn to Knit with more than 30 Cool, Easy Patterns
  • The October Faction, Vol. 1
  • Therapy Quest: An Interactive Journey Through Acceptance And Commitment Therapy
  • Caffeine: How Caffeine Created the Modern World
  • Unhinged: An Insider's Account of the Trump White House
  • Who Let the Dog Out? (Andy Carpenter, #13)
  • The Knitter's Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber
  • Knit the Sky: Cultivate Your Creativity with a Playful Way of Knitting
  • The Art of Doing Nothing: Simple Ways to Make Time for Yourself
  • A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery, #1)
  • Daggerspell (Deverry, #1)
  • A to Z of Knitting: The Ultimate Guide for the Beginner to Advanced Knitter
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • The Solo Travel Handbook