Start by marking “Her Own Rules” as Want to Read:

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  984 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published February 27th 2007 by Avon (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Her Own Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Own Rules

Carol Storm
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
For years I'd seen her books lying on the shelves, and wondered what they were like. So finally I checked out HER OWN RULES by Barbara Taylor Bradford from the library.

I was hoping for something steamy and scandalous, like a powerful older woman who sleeps with much younger men, does shots of whiskey, wears jeans, rides motorcycles . . . you know, her own rules.

Uh . . . no.

Meredith has a bunch of inns she runs around the world. Apparently they are massively successful because she's a real gen
Kathy
Sep 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Barbara Taylor Bradford may never equal the excellence of her Emma books, but she is a good author and writes a good story. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this engrossing story about a lost past found.
Leticia
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction

Great vacation book.
Dede Payne
Dec 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Decent book without alot of dirty words.
Sheena
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Barbara's writing is easy to understand yet so descriptive that you can't help but form an image in your mind. Absolutely loved the twists in the story. Could hardly wait to get to the end!
Kristen
Apr 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This is a nice story about bed and breakfasts and the family secrets that come out for Meredith, when she has a strange illness. A good love story!
Nicholle Thery-Williams
I picked the paperback book up off of the free shelf at my local library. I have read Barbara Taylor Bradford in the past and I really enjoyed her book, A Woman of Substance. This was a quick read for me. The characters were not as developed as I hoped for so I only gave it three stars.
Memz Turaga
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
wow!!! i love happy ending.. I read this book within a day. I was so engross as the story unfolds. I love Meredith's mum faith which does not waiver, believing that she will one day meet up with her long lost daughter. Another courageous women who love endlessly.
Sheila Judson
Oct 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Debbie
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Barbara Taylor Bradford is one of my favorite authors. This novel reinforces this view. Meredith Stratton was a successful mother and business woman, but inside she was a sad woman who kept the details of her childhood a closely guarded secret. In fact, she herself remembered only part of it. She had grown up in Australia, at first in an orphanage and later with her loveless, detached adopted parents. As an adult, she goes to England on business and finds herself near the remnants old an old Abb ...more
Debby
Karen
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Meredith Stratton is, in many ways, a self-made woman. As the hardworking founder of Havens, Inc., a group of luxury inns in New England, England, and France, she heads a thriving multinational company that is poised for further expansion. A single mother now in her forties, Meredith has raised two gifted children, Cat, an illustrator, and Jonathan, a law student at Yale. But, despite her achievements, Meredith is haunted by an unhappy childhood, much of which she no longer remembers. A wonderfu ...more
Tamara
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Her own Rules by Barbara Taylor Bradford takes us into the life of Meredith Stratton, a woman who has endured a difficult life with an unknown past. Throughout her life she has felt a loss, but cannot quite figure out what it is. As time progresses things start to happen in her life that help her to find her answers. I thought it was an interesting book, which at times was lengthy in plot. I almost felt as if there was quite a bit of filler in the book. However, at the end I thought it was a goo ...more
Alisa
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Not the best of hers that I've read. The relationship Meredith has with the Silvers is odd and one wonders what exactly was the purpose of having that particular set-up as opposed to a different sort of relationship for Meredith. While the novel is built around a serious subject (children sent from orphanages in England to Australia), we don't get into much detail of that; it serves mainly as a backdrop. The characters are a little too perfect, the search for Meredith's history a little too easy ...more
Zoe
Aug 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Her Own Rules is the first of Barbara Taylor Bradford's books that I've read, and I didn't think that it was the best written book, though it was easy to read and quite involving. The storyline is very moving, though I did feel at the beginning that it took a while for the story to actually start. Overall, it was a good book and I would consider reading one of Barbara Taylor Bradford's other books.
jean
Sep 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
this was a story of being lost and being found. the main character was very intriguing because of what her past was. the writing was simple yet very descriptive. Barbara did great when describing the surroundings and the mood. over all it was okay, though i'm a bit disappointed because i was actually waiting for something MORE to happen. but the story just ended..like..yes she found her past but aside from that, there's nothing much to say..
Debbie Davies
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Just could not get excited about this book. I am not a fan of the romance genre and while this novel isn't exactly "romantic", the writing style seemed exaggerated and stilted like many novels about the damsel in distress saved by a twist of fate. I liked that there was a bit of mystery involved in spite of its predictability. I would recommend "Her Own Rules" to fans of interior decorating and a bit of mild romance.
Stacy
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Story is about a woman who has suddenly started having flashbacks from repressed memories that she kept hidden for may years. In those memories is a mystery about her real mother and what happen to her and unraveling the story behind the flashbacks. I was pleasantly surprised how this book was written. More of a light mystery but it definitely held my interest and it had a great story line. Read this book sometime in January 2016.
Jeri
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: f-women
A successful businesswomam Meredith Stratton, knows nothing of her past until she is struck by a strange illness which apparently has no physical basis. Set in England and New York mostly, the story of how she delves into her past with the help of a psychiatrist and finds herself.
I generally like this author but this book was not her best.
Kim
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I bought this in audio at a garage sale. I had it in my car, so when the MP3 player ran out, I popped this in. Staying iwth it was very, very difficult. So much fluff. But, sticking with it, because I had nothing else, it did improve a bit. Just not my thing.
Victoria Evangelina Belyavskaya

I pretty much read this book in one sitting, but not because it was awesome - rather, because it was just a light novel, although with an attempt at deep characters and an intricate plot. Yet, I did not feel any depth in it. A good beach or airplane read.
Ndinda
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ndindaness
OHHH IT WAS AWESOME
Chamie
Jul 29, 2008 added it
couldn't get through this book.
Berna
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
It is a very emotional book, some parts brought tears to my eyes. I liked the heroine very much and cared for her through the book.
Shermi Perera
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shermi by: a friend
i like this book. the story is well written and interesting to read.
Niki Byrne
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but it wasn't the best I've read.
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
a woman who found her own way, made her own life. blocking out the parts that was worst for her.
Nyambura
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meh! I think I've outgrown Barbara's writing. Found the descriptions rather winding and the dialogues too slow. Found myself questioning the relevance of quite a lot of stuff.
Vicki
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It had a very strong female character that the story revolves around. Even though she was a strong character, she still had her trials to go through, just like we all do.
  • The Naked Heart
  • Chains of Command
  • The Saffron Trail
  • The Heartbreaker (Maker, #4)
  • Secrecy
  • Sea of Lost Love
  • Whirlwind
  • The Adventures of the Great Brain (Set Of 5 Books)
  • Inheritance
  • Sentimental Journey
  • Crucible of Secrets (Alexander Seaton, #3)
  • Anyone but Him
  • The Killing Hands (Sophie Anderson,  #4)
  • The Last Princess
  • The Winter Folly
  • Dark Angel
  • World of Pies
Barbara Taylor Bradford is the author of 30 bestselling novels, including The Cavendon Women, Cavendon Hall, and The Ravenscar Dynasty. She was born in Leeds, England, and from an early age, she was a voracious reader: at age 12, she had already read all of Dickens and the Brontë sisters. By the age of twenty, she was an editor and columnist on Fleet Street. She published her first novel, A Woman ...more
More about Barbara Taylor Bradford...

“Never let stress shape your strategy. Most women think better after a brisk walk, a light meal, a massage and a nap.” 27 likes
“A person with taste is merely one who can recognize the greatest beauty in the simplest things.” 21 likes