Start by marking “A Violent Grace” as Want to Read:
A Violent Grace

A Violent Grace

They seem to be at irreconcilable odds: violence and grace. Yet award-winning author and musician Michael Card paints a stunning and poignant picture of how violence was the price of grace. Based primarily on passages in Isaiah 53 and Psalm 22, the reader is led on an exploration of the suffering and sacrifice it took to achieve our salvation, of Christ's separation from t ...more
Published January 29th 2000 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about A Violent Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Violent Grace

Start your review of A Violent Grace
Denise
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I cried so hard when I first read this book, I purchased it back in 2001 and the Holy Spirit spoke to me and told me to go and purchase as many more copies as i could afford and bless others with it so I did. I bought 7 more copies and passed them out to people in my church it was such a blessing.
Pamela Shropshire
One of my all-time favorite devotional works. I try to read it each year during Holy Week. Michael Card balances personal devotion with sound orthodox theology. An excellent read for any Christian.
Laverne Byas-smith
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A great book to read during Lent. It really puts the crucifixion in perspective -- historical as well as contemporary.
Hany Abdelmalek
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
Simple, short, yet well written, and contains deep thoughts about the cross of Christ.
DeAnne
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-growth
This book is intense!! I loved it and it gives a deeper understanding of what Christ suffered and endured on the cross. The language is very poetic, beautiful and yet disturbing and thought provoking when John's accounts of Christ's execution are explained. I feel that the detailed explanations of the crucifixion, side by side with the scriptural references and meanings, brought me into His presence and made me just want to weep at Jesus' feet for what he endured on my behalf.

This book is deep
Garth Richards
Oct 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
"A Violent Grace" this title sounds upside down but it's a fitting expression of what Christ did for us. I read this book around Easter time when I was wanting to connect closer to the pain that Christ went through on the cross for me. The book is similiar to The Passion of the Christ to where you get a better idea of how much Christ went through for us. There's a chapter describing a doctor's look at when the blood and the water came flowing out of Jesus' side when he was poked there by the gua ...more
Joy
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
I am reading this at the suggestion of my friend (who is now a Lutheran Pastor). The book is comprised of 21 chapters, each about 4 pages long and ending with a prayer so it makes a good devotional. Each chapter deals with a different element of the suffering that Jesus went through in his journey to the cross.

Michael Card is well known for some of his contemporary Christian songs like "El Shaddai" but I didn't know that he wrote books until my friend suggested it. I'm reading it for the season
Melanie Surani
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A blow-by-blow account of what actually happened to Jesus on the cross. Mr. Card tells a gruesome tale without being too graphic (but without glossing over anything).
Cori
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
WOW! How can I not thank my God and Savior for His Grace!
Andrew
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith
I needed this book right now in my life. It was absolutely refreshing to read an unfiltered view of what Jesus did on the cross. It is very well written, in short chapters to allow one to process what they read, and really doesn't sugar-coat any of the details around the crucifixion and how we should be approaching the cross in our faith.

The only reason I gave it 4 stars and not 5 is because of his tendency to put a lot of hypothetical images in your head during some of the chapters. An example
ME
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
A perfect re-read for Passion Week devotions.
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Re-read.
scott d. smith
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have always love the passion and perspective of the author. His vantage as a musician comes through in the writing.
Kari
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was very, very good. This would be a great resource to work through during Lent, leading up to Resurrection Sunday. But no need to wait that long. It's truth is real all year long.
Lynnette Goebel
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book to read before Easter.
Mark
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoughtful and inspiring

Written in a way that helps you to see an old story with new perspective and which helps recapture the wonder of what Christ has done.
Vanne Stch
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most "personal" accounts of the suffering of Christ and the "WHYs". A must read.
Karen
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book offers some fresh perspectives on the crucifixion it’s just not written in a style that is appealing to me.
Tori Samar
A short but outstanding read, especially in preparation for Easter. As always, Michael Card wonderfully engages the reader's imagination and affections as he walks us through the events surrounding Christ's crucifixion. I was struck anew with the wonder and horror of what happened at the cross and also led to consider things about Christ's death and resurrection that I never have before!

Card has always been a lover of paradox, and this book is a good demonstration of that. The chapter titles alo
Philip
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Card doesn't give the readers anything groundbreaking, but when it comes to the crucifixion, groundbreaking isn't what is needed. Card breaks down each event of the Passion into a formula to show that each thing Christ endured was for our benefit (Christ suffered [x ordeal] so that we could receive [benefit y]). This is a great book for Lent or any other time of year. One can never be reminded too often of Christ's sufferings on the cross. "Out of the beautiful violence of His life will flow a r ...more
Emerald Longcop
Sep 27, 2007 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Pastors
Im currently reading this book and so cant make a sweeping statement as to what this book is all about. Basically, its a very inspiring book with clear picture images although one must be careful not to take the experience to much of an emotional experience but rather ,one must be able to make a balance understanding on the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross. One thing i can say is that, violent grace brought me to a different angle of seeing Jesus! Good read indeed!
Julie
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: life-enriching
I reread this book every Lenten season. It is always fresh and always is the perfect daily reminder of what Christ did, with content that seems 'new' every time I read it. Michael Card's gift with words is such a gift to us, and the Holy Spirit uses it to pierce our hearts with fresh insight.
Nathan Parker
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Every Christian should read this! It is the most touching book I have ever read on the crucifixion. It drew me closer to Jesus and gave me a deeper appreciation of what He did on the cross for me. It is the ideal devotional to read around the Easter season.
Don Henrikson
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just as Michael Card's music does such a remarkable job at calling Christians to consider Christ, this book calls Christians to consider Christ crucified. It is an excellent devotional book on the saving work accomplished at Calvary.
Claire
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Very Lent appropriate.
Cynthia Isley
I'd buy a copy if I could get one for my e-reader
Jean
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
really amazing what Christ endured on my behalf to bring my salvation
Brenda Seefeldt
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book. Beautifully written. Beautifully printed. A good one to pass on to many people.
Georgetowner

• The Suburban Christian: Finding Spiritual Vitality in the Land of Plenty
  • Taste and See: Discovering God among Butchers, Bakers, and Fresh Food Makers
  • Unoffendable: How Just One Change Can Make All of Life Better
  • On Paradise Drive: How We Live Now (And Always Have) in the Future Tense
  • U-Turn: What If You Woke Up One Morning and Realized You Were Living the Wrong Life?
  • Let Me Tell You: New Stories, Essays, and Other Writings
  • The Complete Stories
  • Hinds' Feet on High Places
  • Alaska
  • Friend-ish: Reclaiming Real Friendship in a Culture of Confusion
  • Recipe for a Perfect Wife
  • Always Enough, Never Too Much: 100 Devotions to Quit Comparing, Stop Hiding, and Start Living Wild and Free
  • Dance With Jesus: From Grief to Grace
  • The Resting Place: Living Immersed in the Presence of God
  • The Perfect You: A Blueprint for Identity
  • Spiritual Warfare Jesus' Way: How to Conquer Evil Spirits and Live Victoriously
  • With an Everlasting Love

Michael Card (born April 11, 1957) is an American Christian singer-songwriter, musician, author, and radio host from Franklin, Tennessee. He is best known for his contributions in contemporary Christian music, which couple folk-style melodies and instrumentation with lyrics that stem from intensive study of the

News & Interviews

“When scorn and ridicule come, we never have to bury our heads in our hands or lash out in hatred. Jesus has gone before. Because He endured the scorn for joy, we can too.” 0 likes