Start by marking “The Tides of Avarice: A Sagaria Legend” as Want to Read:
The Tides of Avarice: A Sagaria Legend

The Tides of Avarice: A Sagaria Legend

It's something all pirates are taught when they're very young, but too many forget: never get on the wrong side of a librarian. Especially if the librarian is a lemming! Sylvester Lemmington used to read about cannibals, impenetrable jungles, lethal carnivores, mysterious fortune-teller, voodoo magic, cutthroat pirates, shipwrecks, mutinies, spaceships and much else in his ...more
Published June 16th 2011 by Editions Didier Millet

To ask other readers questions about The Tides of Avarice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tides of Avarice

Start your review of The Tides of Avarice: A Sagaria Legend
Stephanie Dagg
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tides of Avarice by John Dahlgren is a quirky, swashbuckling read - an original combination of pirates, treasure maps and lemmings. Sylvester Lemmington is our hero, a timid, serious lemming who works as a translator for the head archivist at the library. The love interest is Viola, a pretty, feisty lemmingess who merrily leads Sylvester into trouble, along with his treasure map. Add a missing father, Jason, who took part in the last great lemming Exodus, from which mysteriously none returned, m ...more
Julie
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this and feel like it's good clean adventure for a slightly younger reader than YA. This author adds new excitement at every turn to keep the attention of readers - and perhaps reluctant readers and boys - in a way that is refreshing!
Pam
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
I'm a pirate librarian! Yay! They finally get it!
Woodsy
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Tides of Avarice. It's a good book for people who like a good pirates tale. Definitely one I would recommend.
Kate Reid
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A solid 4 stars. What a lovely story! This gave me all the Redwall vibes and I loved it! I will say that I didn't connect to the characters quite as much as I would have liked to, but that's only because I'm comparing it to one of my favourite books of all time. The characters were lovely, the adventures swashbuckling and the story engaging. I did find myself a little confused by the ending, it felt like it all ended very quickly and I think I may have to re-read it to get my head around it all! ...more
Piper Henley
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, ya, pirate, fantasy
This was a random find at a library convention. I was pleasantly surprised, but sometimes I thought it would never end. Other than that it was great for anyone looking for a long pirates tale.
Kes
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, read-2017
Surprisingly fun book. Solid 3.5 stars.
Dawn Vanniman
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Pirates and Lemmings?! It makes for an interesting read!

Sylvester is the main character, he's a Lemming. He's a translator in the library archives. Very shy, quiet, soft spoken; but he yearns for excitement and adventure!

Viola is the girl (lemmingness?) that Sylvester dotes on. She's fast, pretty, athletic and loves adventures. She also seems very fond of Sylvester.

Sylvester's fat
April
Pirates, Treasure, Mystery and Lemmings...where could you go wrong!! This was a wonderfully fun and exciting read! It was very well written and perfect for young readers. It was engaging and interesting throughout.

A truly imaginative story that had me wishing for more!! Sylvester is great and I love his gal Viola! So many wonderful quirky characters. You might think this story has alot going on but it isn't too much to follow.

One can only hope this is the beginning of a s
Heavem
Dec 09, 2016
Jim Osmer
rated it did not like it
Nov 05, 2016
Tamara! aka AmyG.Dala
Jan 23, 2013
Sami Jo
Nov 01, 2012

• The Necromancer's Apprentice (The Necromancer's Apprentice #1)
  • Journey to Rainbow Island
  • Dead Letter Office
  • Angel on the Ropes
  • Georgetown Academy: Book Three
  • The Sound and the Echoes
  • Returner's Wealth (Wyrmeweald, #1)
  • Girls & Monsters
  • Dark Territory (The Tracks, #1)
  • The Frenzy War (The Frenzy Wolves, #2)
  • Lives of Magic (Seven Wanderers Trilogy, #1)
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • Ripped
  • Broken Angels
  • Armored Hearts (Armored Hearts, #1)
  • The Faceless One
  • Arrow of the Mist (Arrow of the Mist, #1)
  • Moonfall: Tales from the Levant
John Dahlgren is a Psychologist and an award winning author. He has been working as a marketing director at a pharmaceutical company in Switzerland since 1998. He's also an adjacent lecturer of the Royal University in Bhutan where he teaches creative and fiction writing.

Born in Stockholm, Sweden, he grew up close to the vast and untamed nature of Scandinavia and became influenced at an