Start by marking “Clive Barker's Hellraiser Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Clive Barker's Hellraiser Vol. 1

Clive Barker's Hellraiser Vol. 1 (Clive Barker's Hellraiser (2011) #1)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  1,496 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Hell has come home as Clive Barker returns to writing his signature creation!

Clive Barker has “touched” Hellraiser only twice before: once to write The Hellbound Heart, and once more to write and direct the original Hellraiser film. With the HELLRAISER ongoing series, witness Barker’s long-awaited return to tell a new chapter in the official continuity — a trajectory that
Published October 4th 2011 by BOOM! Studios (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Clive Barker's Hellraiser Vol. 1, please sign up.
Carrie Kentfield I started with Hellbound Heart. This reads very much like the first film. I'm not sure about the comic book series. There are so many off shoots of…moreI started with Hellbound Heart. This reads very much like the first film. I'm not sure about the comic book series. There are so many off shoots of that I think starting at Vol. 1 is a safe bet. (less)

HFK
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: paidkindle, graphics
Clive Barker's Hellraiser Vol.1 was somewhat different than I was expecting, though I am not really sure what that something was. I mean, we all know I only read this because I have serious hots towards Pinhead, and I just kind of like spending my Sunday by reading erotic stuff, so whatever dude.

I think this is a different take on cenobites. In some levels they are more human with their actions, however cruel they might be. There is elements of human-alike game playing and manipulation, which a
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
As usual with this kind of stuff, I was confused some of the time, but ignored that like usual and kept reading.

It's definitely a different type of Hellraiser story where Pinhead has grown weary. I was more interested in the Kirsty angle because I enjoyed Hellseeker so much when I saw it last year. Yeah, the Hellraiser sequels are pretty terrible, and it wasn't a well-made movie, but there was something about it that had me glued and seeking out this comic series.

Fortunately Pinhead is accompan
Obsidian
This was so good!

I think you have to watch the movies first otherwise you are going to be left in the dark about who the players are in this graphic novel.

We have Pinhead, the rest of his crew, Kristy Cotton, and of course, the box.

description

In this volume 1, we have a Pinhead that is bored with the sights and torture he has seen. He wants something more..he wants to be human.

description

We get a gruesome opening scene of a woman torn apart by Pinhead and the Cenobites, and than Pinhead being all, well I have seen al
Ill D
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-reviews
Spooky! Gut-splattering! True-to-form.
David Agranoff
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it

During most of my life Clive Barker has been my favorite author, as far as professional heroes go he is one of them for sure. He has had a rough go of it lately. Lots of projects and books have been promised and only half of those (mostly films) have seen the light of day. Publishing wise Barker was dropped by his long time publisher after failing to deliver a collection of horror shorts called the Scarlet Gospels.

This collection has been rumored for almost a decade, and was said to feature Bar
Andy  Haigh
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Clive Barker is a name that's synonymous with horror, to most it's associated with an impressive entry into horror film history which not only gave birth to one of the most iconic figures in horror cinema but also introduced a chilling and disturbing world, that film was Hellraiser. Written and directed by Barker based on his short story titled The Hellbound Heart.

Barker somewhat naively signed away the rights to the world he had created not realising just how popular it would become. It quickl
Spencer
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this quite a bit, this is what The Scarlet Gospels should have been.
The art is pretty good, the story is interesting and adds a bit of depth to the hellraiser mythos.
Most of all it stays true to the original hellraiser concept and provides gore aplenty!
April
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
(Originally posted @ CSI:Librarian.)

I am endlessly impressed by the scope of Clive Barker's vision and I'm so happy to report that this graphic novel was really, really excellent. In fact, this is probably the best Hellraiser-related anything I've ever read or seen. Of course I realize that might not read as high praise considering some of the more recent films or anthologies regarding the Cenobites and their leader, but Barker's lack of involvement goes a long to explain why most of them are so
Andy 117
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-comic-tpbs
Compelling dialog and some fiendishly inventive visuals sadly can't overcome a lack of focus and a rather predictable plot, combined with the perhaps unwise decision to make this a sequel, and not a reboot, of the original two Hellraiser movies. Clive Barker has a great imagination, but unlike the very first Hellraiser - a movie I appreciate as much for its simplicity as its depth - there's no core to this story, no central motif or theme.

It's not much help that both the protagonist and antagon
Tarl
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, horror
One of the things that Clive Barker has touched in regards to the Hellraiser world, this shows that he still has a finger on the heartbeat on what makes horror.

I found the idea that Kristy and others touched by the Toymaker's creations hunting down said creations was an interesting idea. I'm not a huge one with using Kristy in any storylines, but overall it worked for this graphic novel. The very fact that they included the Toymaker as part of Hellraiser cannon (as far as Barker is concerned) i
Jonathan
***Review may contain very minor spoilers,but nothing past what is listed on the back of the volume.***

Generally speaking, I'm not a huge graphic novel fan. I have nothing against the medium, but I tend to prefer to create the images in my own imagination. That being said, I've come across some graphic novels that's have really been a treat, such as Neil Gaiman's Sandman series and Alan Moore's Watchmen.

With all that out if the way, I love Clive Barker's work, and his novella 'The Hellbound Hea
Richard
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
It is generally accepted that only the first two Hellraiser movies are 'canon', and the second one is a bit iffy. All the subsequent movies throw away the original premise, that the cenobites are horrific but morally neutral hedonists, and treat them as evil antagonists. Remember the antagonist of Hellraiser was Frank, and the cenobites helped the protagonist by killing him. Not that they are a force for good - they were just following the rules. But later films actually identify them as demons ...more
Jacobi
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: trades-read
I'm giving this trade 2 stars not because it was bad, but because I didn't really connect with it. Even though there really are only two Hellraiser movies worth a damn (out of the 8 or 9 that exist), I really do love the mythology of this franchise. So I should have loved this book, but I realize now that along with the mythology, the franchise is really reliant on the sadomasochistic mood that the movies deliver. There is a sexy horrifying beauty in the first 2 movies that is hard to translate ...more
Kris43
Holy s***! Now that's a real real horror!

Or to be more exact its unholy s***....yes, definitely unholy:)
Full of disgusting and despicable things....Its got buckets full of blood dripping down its pages and desecrated bodies, done in many interesting ways:) However interesting, this one is not something you'll want to see your kids reading.

But if your a big girl/guy and are looking for a nice dose of something to give you nightmares, this one is for you. The story is disturbing and has a effect
Stacy Fetters
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Clive Barker is a freaking genius. From his writing style to the horror, its just absolutely perfect.
Pinhead wants to become a full human again and his puzzle box is traveling pretty fast from hand to hand. But what does Ms. Cotton have to do with all of this?
Fanfuckingtastic. The art style and the writing really feed off each other making awesomely perfect.
Charles Tilley
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Exactly what I was looking for... More Cenobites! This seems to continue from Hellraiser II. Kristy has formed a team and spent years trying to destroy the Lermauchand puzzles. Yet Pinhead has bigger plans. A good read to prep for Scarlett Gospels!
Shane
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books, comics
This story is awesome! It is a direct sequel to Hellbound: Hellraiser 2, skipping the maddeningly mediocre parts 3-8.
This is how the movie series should have continued. I can't wait to see how it all turns out.
James
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Clive Barker returns to the world of Hellraiser in this volume in which Kirsty Cotton gathers a group of individuals who have survived encounters with Pinhead and the other Cenobytes as Pinhead himself, bored and tired, seeks to become human. A promising start to the series.
Elodie
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yessssssss.
Chatters
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
super cool tie-ins to the books of the art..... and I'm always glad to see harry d'amour...
Salomão Diniz
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Aquela semaninha de teste grátis do ComiXology, tem lá os 3 volumes, acho que são 3. Peguei por uma vaga lembrança dos filmes nos early 80’s. Achei interessante de começo, mas lá pelo meio já não tinha nada que me desse vontade de terminar os 3 volumes. A primeira vez que as correntes voam dilacerando um Padre é bem interessante, viceral e gráfico, mas quando rola pela centésima vez e vc ainda nem terminou o primeiro volume, poutz! Bem desenhado, boas sequências e talvez seja até mto boa para os ...more
Alec  Watkins
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
The illustrations in this book, done by the guy who illustrated Neil Gaiman's Sandman are fantastic. I'll read the rest of this series, but I imagine I'll need to watch the movies before i go any further, because apparently that's something I was supposed to do before reading this one.
Alanwam
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
如果你沒看過 Hellraiser 電影 1, 2 集, 可能評價不會超過3顆星, 但如果你是喜歡Hellraiser系列的人, 對本書的評價應該會超過4顆星.

Hellraiser 是我很喜歡的一個恐怖片系列, 也因為這部電影我看了不少原作者相關的作品(Nightbreed, Lord of illusions, Book of blood), 對於原作者大家的印象應該都是 Body horror 大師, 但看過 Hellraiser 和 Nightbreed 我對原作者的想像力有很高的評價, 對於 Hellraiser 電影本身大家好像都只放在恐怖上而忽略了作者天馬行空的想像力, 但本部漫畫在經過原作者的加持後強烈的凸顯出 Clive Barker 除了能描繪出 Body horror 的情境, 更能寫出充滿想像力的有趣情節.

以下文字可能有捏(spoiler alert!!!)

電影系列中我們看到如果打開 Lament Configuration(就是那個魔術方塊), 會放出 Pin head 與他的小夥伴, 電影第四集中也描述了 Lament Configuration 的來源, 但
Donovan
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
OK...For starters, this is a graphic novel. I was surprised to find that out but I have not regretted it. This is a graat piece of work and is the first in a series. As it is not a novel I wont be doing the usual plot/spoilers. I will let you know it is the final chapter of Pinhead as a character and wraps up the series as Clive Barker sees it. Anything else wont be Barker and is just another story set in the universe.
Now, having said all that, this is a bloody (and I mean that literally) great
Frank Showalter
May 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Kirsty Cotton, protagonist from the first three Hellraiser films, and her team of Cenobite-hating pals hunt the Lemarchand Configuration, even as Pinhead, bored with his existence, seeks to make a deal with his master to regain his humanity or suffer an eternity of torment. Barker seems to be incorporating not only his original story, but all the comics and films that came after, to create a continuity all its own, where he's free to completely upend the status quo by killing off characters, or ...more
Anna Prejanò
Devo essere onesta: una minestra riscaldata, o una pizza fredda. Solo per i fans nostalgici, tra i quali mi annovero e quindi leggerò anche il seguito. Il top di Barker a fumetti restano i meravigliosi "Tapping the vein"; già le raccolte di "Hellraiser" non erano un granché. Qui la storia è scritta da lui e almeno assume un respiro più ampio e letterario. I disegni sono splendidi; la cura editoriale ineccepibile (miracolo: finalmente un fumetto con accenti e apostrofi usati correttamente). Eccel ...more
Celeste
Mar 26, 2016 marked it as to-read
I really loved The Hellbound Heart so I was ready to devour the Boom! Studios comics. After reading the first several pages and being thoroughly confused, I realized that the comic series is meant to follow the second Hellraiser movie, which I haven't had to pleasure to see yet. :( So it looks like this one's going back to the TBR list for the time being.
Mel
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
We found very cheap copies of 3 of the new Hellraiser graphic novels yesterday. This was SO much better than the previous Hellraiser comics. This wasn't just retelling the story of someone finding the box and the cenobites showing up, over and over. It was the story of pinhead wanting redemption and Kirsty wanting revenge. Each laying traps for the other one. The story was left half undone and I have already ordered vol. 2 to find out what happens next.
Roberto Diaz
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Clive Barker continues his story, now with a revenge narative that ties to the first three films, with an older Kristy an a handful of survivors wronged by the Configuration, while pinhead plans a way out of his long duty in hell. Interesting mystery and horror with highly inked art that gives the story the grim look it needs.
Kokoro
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Creo prefiero la película, ninguno de los humanos me pareció interesante y Kirsty versión novela es algo patética, hasta desee se la llevaran los cenobitas, únicos aciertos, lastima no hay desarrollo en estos personajes, (view spoiler). Al menos se lee muy rápido y es entretenida.
  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser: Collected Best II
  • Clive Barker : Illustrator
  • Välkommen till din psykos
  • Axe Cop, Vol. 3
  • Echoes Vol. 1
Clive Barker was born in Liverpool, England, the son of Joan Rubie (née Revill), a painter and school welfare officer, and Leonard Barker, a personnel director for an industrial relations firm. Educated at Dovedale Primary School and Quarry Bank High School, he studied English and Philosophy at Liverpool University and his picture now hangs in the entrance hallway to the Philosophy Department. It ...more
More about Clive Barker

Clive Barker's Hellraiser (2011) (5 books)
  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser Vol. 2