Start by marking “A Rag, a Bone and a Hank of Hair” as Want to Read:
A Rag, a Bone and a Hank of Hair

A Rag, a Bone and a Hank of Hair

A gripping science-fiction novel set at the end of the 22nd century. The birthrate is falling following a nuclear power plant leak, and the government have begun manufacturing 'Reborns', new people from old.
Published September 1st 1999 by Oxford Childrens (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about A Rag, a Bone and a Hank of Hair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rag, a Bone and a Hank of Hair

Miriam
Sep 29, 2016 Miriam rated it liked it
This started strong, with an interesting premise, decent writing, and strong if spare characterization. In fact, it was a book I enjoyed most of the way through. However, the last quarter or so did not make a ton of sense and the ending was weak. It seemed like all set-up and then -- fizzle. I don't know if Fisk was limited as to page count but I think this would have been much better had it been substantially longer and gone somewhere. Even if he just wanted to make some sort of philosophical p ...more
Trin
Sep 21, 2007 Trin rated it really liked it
Shelves: we-own
I first read this book when I was ~13 years old. I'd 'borrowed' it from the school I was at for something to read while I was waiting for my mom to drive by and pick me up. The book never made it back to school.

Brin is a young boy with a secret. He's part of an experiment, designed to find out for The Seniors whether or not the 1940s 'reborns' they've created could ever fit in to their peaceful world. Fisk tells this interesting story predominantly from Brin's point of view.

I would *seriously* l
Chie
Nov 13, 2010 Chie rated it it was amazing
This is science fiction as it should be. By george!Its so very dynamic.I dont even know my own conclusion about this book, at first I sided with the 'good guys'felt sorry for them, but what they dish out for the 'bad guys'. I dont who to feel what for. I was awe stricken. The ending haunted me, that i would now have a hard time reliving the experience of re-reading it.

You must read this book.
Alex
Mar 11, 2009 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood
How was this a children's book?
skippity_doo
Jul 13, 2014 skippity_doo rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia
Something similar to a cross between The Giver and Ender's Game, but with a wholly British sensibility.
Katie
Dec 16, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing
rachelish Slater
Jun 14, 2007 rachelish Slater rated it liked it
Okay, it's good - in fact it might be *very* good - but it scared me to death when I was ten so who knows now? I did not see the twist coming (when I was ten) and it's stayed with me enough that I can still feel the shock 15 years later.
Jocelyn
May 17, 2015 Jocelyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I read this book when I was still in junior school. So I was maybe 8 or 9. That was 1982. It had a profound affect on me.
Heather
Apr 19, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
I read this sometime around age 11-ish, I think, and thoroughly enjoyed. Just found a copy and looking forward to a re-read. A book whose title sticks 30+ years after reading is worth a revisit.
Dami (Damiellar)
I just loved this book when I was younger. It had some 'fun' ideas in it and was short enough to finish in a single night.
Richard
Dec 10, 2010 Richard rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, science
the first book i ever read and adored kick started my reading life
Sue Bridgwater
Sue Bridgwater rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Jaya
Jaya rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2007
004 rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2013
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2012
Micah
Micah rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2011
H R Gold
H R Gold rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Antony
Antony rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2008
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2014
Beatrice Johnson
Beatrice Johnson rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2013
Clare Spencer
Clare Spencer rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
Anna Ryan-Punch
Anna Ryan-Punch rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Daniel Dyer
Daniel Dyer rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Paul Silver
Paul Silver rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2009
Rohan Hart
Rohan Hart rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2013
Chocolatemonster123
Chocolatemonster123 rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2012
Amy Corton
Amy Corton rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2013
Sinéad O'Hart
Sinéad O'Hart rated it really liked it
May 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
(1923–), British author of more than forty books and television scripts and a master of science fiction for children. Fisk, whose real name is David Higginbottom, grew up during the Second World War and served in the Royal Air Force. His autobiography, Pig Ignorant (1992), covers the years 1939–1941 and details his life in Soho, a bohemian section of London, where he played jazz in the evenings un ...more
More about Nicholas Fisk...