Start by marking “Holy Warrior (Outlaw Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Holy Warrior (Outlaw Chronicles, #2)

Holy Warrior (The Outlaw Chronicles #2)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  1,273 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
After the events of Outlaw, Robin of Locksley—and his sidekick and narrator, Alan Dale—finds himself in a very different England and a very changed world.

In 1190 A.D. Richard the Lionheart, the new King of England, has launched his epic crusade to seize Jerusalem from the Saracens. Marching with the vast royal army is Britain's most famous, most feared, most ferocious warr
Paperback, First U.S. edition, 389 pages
Published August 2nd 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Warrior

Mark Halse
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Less of A Robin Hood story then a crusade story. In this installment Robin and Alan join ol' Lionheart to rescue the Holy Land from itself. As a crusader story this book excels. As a Robin Hood story it falls flat.

The worst thing about this series is the awful Robin Hood character. I have criticized the horrible Robin in my last review and he only gets worse from here. This is a feat because Robin barely makes an appearance.

Besides a terrible Robin Hood I enjoyed this book. Much of it is because
Mark Harrison
Excellent adventure as Alan Dale follows Robin Hood on the crusades to free Jerusalem. Lots of gory battles, revenge, love and loss and a rollicking pace. All great fun - even if Robin is a total bastard.
Paul Bennett
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robin Hood, Robin Hood
Riding through the glen.
Robin Hood, Robin Hood
With his band of men.
Feared by the bad, loved by the good.
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood.

(lyrics written by American composer Carl Sigman.)

Oh that catchy tune from the old Robin Hood TV show starring Richard Greene. That was the Robin Hood I grew up with. That is not the Robin Hood of this magnificent series by Angus Donald. In this, the second book, Holy Warrior, we find Robin and his merry men as part of King Richard's ret
Stuart
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Donald's follow up to OUTLAW is not as good, but still entertaining if you're into medieval history and care enough about the Crusades to slough through endless scenes of violence and mayhem. Unlike OUTLAW, HOLY WARRIOR does little to offset the blood and carnage, with scant character development and more time placed on history or detailed battle recounts than the characters themselves. As a result, there is virtually no tension in the book, or drive to keep reading. The central mystery of who m ...more
Estibaliz79
Aproximación interesante al mito, en la que el legendario Robin Hood no sólo tiene más de humano que de leyenda, sino que se nos revela como un personaje completamente terrenal y a menudo falto de escrúpulos. La narración desde el punto de vista de uno de sus hombres hace que el propio Robin no sea por completo protagonista de la saga, pero Allan es lo suficientemente interesante por sí mismo como personaje como para que el lector no se resienta de este hecho.

En esta segunda entrega, como el pro
Mr. Matt
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy Warrior continues the gritty re-telling of Robin Hood's life and adventures - all the way to the Holy Land and the Third Crusade.

This is most definitely not Walt Disney's version of Robin Hood. Robin is a cruel, selfish man who fosters a populist image because it suits his purposes. He couldn't give a damn about the people. "... the monstrous Earl of Locksley." Enough said. And here's the thing: I like this Robin and this story. It is dirty, gritty and messy. Much like I imagine the 12th c
Lanie
Yippee for a wonderful book 2! Blood, guts, a great human non-perfect main character, & of course Robin Hood = my kinda book! :D Top marks to Mr. Angus Donald for such awesome storytelling, graphic violence, interesting characters both "good" and "bad", & historical accuracy. Some writers just can't pull it off, but he sure did.

I actually wrote an essay about King Richard the Lionheart and his leadership of the 3rd for my final research paper is high school. I loved the topic and I did a
John
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part II of the Outlaw series leads Robin and the gang off to fight in the Third Crusade with Richard the Lionhearted. Robin is not a willing participant, however, but he made a deal to go and will honor it. Alas, as sly Robin is keen to do, he captures an opportunity to make some money while double crossing the good Knights of the Temple. A guy's gotta make a buck right? Anyway, there is again plenty of war fighting, lots of treachery, dirty dealing, and general messed up shenanigans. It's enter ...more
Kim Kiernan
I loved the first book in this series, Outlaw, but the follow up was disappointing. It's more a story about the crusades (and how hateful, horrid and violent they were all in the name of "my God is better than yours").

The one part the author does really well in my opinion, is his portrayal of Robin Hood himself and Alan's reaction to him. This part of the story rang true to how I can imagine it happening in reality. His characters are wonderful, but this book is INCREDIBLY violent. I'm looking
Diane Cranson
I'm loving this series by Angus Donald. I've enjoyed the second book even more than the first. A great retelling of the Robin Hood legend, with a solid grounding in the history, if not of the man, certainly of the time.
Chelsi Anne
As quickly as I read the first one, I struggled with this one. The plot felt like mostly filler, even though there were certain narratives I would have liked to see developed more. Unsure if I will try the rest in the series.
Ken Mcinnes
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did not stop until finished. Really easy to follow and entertained until the end
Pierce Cooney
Listened to the Audiobook, which could have been better. Possibly took away my enjoyment of the book.
Sandy  Kemp
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! Really enjoyed the development of poor Alan's conflicted conscience and the exploration of the religious beliefs of this time in history. Medieval history is so fascinating. The questions of loyalty, friendship and honor explored in this series are timeless, even though there has been much evolution in the understanding of these concepts (thank heavens). Utterly wonderful.

And I really enjoy the good and bad Robin Hood, he's so much more interesting than if he were all good.
Speesh
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medieval-england
A powerful, provocative and thought-provoking read, this is the second installment in Angus Donald's re-interpretation of the Robin Hood myth.

Even though you are prepared for this not being your usual Robin Hood story, Angus Donald still keeps you gripped and surprises you at nearly every turn. Mainly, I'd say, because like the first in the series, 'Outlaw', whilst of course headlined as a Robin Hood story, it was in reality more about the tale of Alan Dale, than of Robin Hood.

'Holy Warrior' is
S.J.A. Turney
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second novel in Angus' superb Outlaw series takes a slightly different direction from the first. While Outlaw drew on the traditional legends of Robin Hood and used them to create a new tale in a very realistic environment, the feel was clearly still a Robin in Sherwood one, for all its grit and realism. Holy Warrior is entirely different, and this to me is the making of the book. It would have been easy enough for the author to revisit the old territory for a sequel, but I think such would ...more
Nick Brett
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I approached this follow up to the excellent "Outlaw" with a degree of trepidation. It had been a while since I had enjoyed Outlaw and I was worried that I might have forgotten where the story left off and it might be hard to get back into, especially with the recent Robin Hood film helping to confuse with another re-imagining of the story.

But I needn't have worried as I was swept straight into the story without the need for a re-cap. Holy Warrior is (like Outlaw) told from the perspective of th
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘It is simply a matter of loyalty.’

This is the second novel in a projected five part series called the Outlaw Chronicles: about the legendary Robin Hood and his band of outlaws. The story is told from the perspective of Alan Dale, a troubadour and warrior, a member of the band, who is now nearing the end of his life.
In this novel, Robin and his band, (including Alan) are preparing to join King Richard I as part of the Third Crusade which will attempt to retake the Holy Land from Saladin. As the
Gary
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to Outlaw is as thrilling as the first, fast paced, violent, in parts horrifying, eventful and erotic.
The novel takes off from when Robin (the ruthless godfather of Sherwood Forest) and his band are pardoned by King Richard and dispatched to go on the crusade to free the Holy Land from the Saracens.
This Robin Hood is far removed from the traditional altruist in green, robbing from the rich to give to the poor. He is ruthless, vengeful, self-serving, and cynical.
But he has his own code
Lu Newman
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
The second book of The Outlaw Chronicles fails to disappoint.

It is 1190 AD and King Richard the Lion Heart has launched his epic crusade to seize Jerusalem from the cruel Saracens. Marching along side the King himself is The Earl of Locksley otherwise known as the notorious outlaw Robin Hood, with his ever loyal band of men. One off them of course, is our narrator, musician and acclaimed Trouvere, Alan of Dale.

Alan follows his master on this epic journey which involves him finding his first lo
Michele
Ahhh, I do love this series. If you're not familiar, these books are another rendition of the Robin Hood legend. Granted, there have been a lot of renditions, most of them not so great. If it hadn't been for the recommendation of a friend, I likely would never have picked up the first book, Outlaw. Once I did, though, it was game over. I was smitten.

Like the first installment, Holy Warrior is told by Alan Dale, close confident of the Earl of Locksley (Robin Hood, duh) and picks up right where th
João Batista
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Acho que 3,5*, pois os capítulos eram enormes e muito focados em somente um pequeno incidente etc....
Roberto Odo, conde de Locksley, cruel, duro, implacável, covarde, ambicioso, ateu, monstro, ganancioso e assassino, está de volta em um livro de três partes. A Parte 1 se passa na Inglaterra e novamente é contada por Alan Dale, amigo de Robin; é lá onde querem Robin morto... e em York, querem judeus embaixo da terra.
Parte 2 - Sicília e Chipre. Uma breve passagem da companhia de Robin pela Normand
Shane Barr
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good read and telling the story of Alan Dale a friend of Robin Hood the Earl Locksley and their adventures in the Holy Crusade in Outremer.
Alan a friend of Robin and Little John helps Robin to prepare to travel on a crusade to the Holy land as part of the force of Richard 1. Robin was short of money and agreed to join the Crusade for other reasons to get hold of Frankincense which was worth a fortune. Robin and Alan travel to York to visit Reuben a Jewish money lender and friend of Rob
Aydin Turgay
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like it AS much as the first book in the series, but it was still VERY enjoyable.

It felt like a great road movie, with the entire story telling Robin and King Richard's journey to Jerusalem during the Crusades.

Like the first book, it was well-narrated. It was easy to follow, and moved very quickly. There was lots of action, along with loss and sadness. The action is cinematic, and at times, very descriptive in its gore.

The author is very good at creating sympathetic, likeable characters
Paul Cookson
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another rollicking good tale of Robin Hood. This time we follow Robin aka Robert Odo aka The Earl of Locksley to the third crusades and we are treated to epic battles, drama, romance, intrigue, murder and mystery. Again the story is told by Alan Dale the minstrel (expertly played by the cockerel in the Disney version) and it is really his story being recounted by Alan as an old man.

From following the author I understand that there will be seven books in total in the series (book 7 is being writt
Graham
Nov 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This gritty and authentic follow-up to OUTLAW continues the story of Robin Hood's adventures as this time he joins Richard the Lionheart's adventures in the Middle East in an attempt to wrest the Holy Land from Saladin's clutches.

Angus Donald will quickly become one of my favourite authors if he can continue the quality in the next book in his series.

Instead of following the original story's template with more men-in-the-woods adventures, HOLY WARRIOR paints a wider picture as it recreates some
Monicaaa
Angus Donald is by far my favorite author at the moment. While may sequels suffer from second-book-syndrome this one doesn't in the slightest.

In the sequel to Outlaw, the reader finds themselves going on the crusades. Robin of Locksley is no longer an outlaw, but a warrior, ready to reclaim the holy land for the Christian people. Well Robin will always be ruthless and a man who spits on religion and an outlaw at heart, so the book follows a rogue masquerading as a holy, law-abiding citizen beca
Alkatraz
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, fiction
This is the second book in the series and yes, you do have to read them in order. I picked up the first book a few years ago and loved it, this was no different. We continue following Alan Dale and his master, Robin Odo (Robin Hood) as they keep a promise that Robin made to go to the Holy Land and recapture Jerusalem from Saladin. There are plots to assassinate Robin, kill Alan, and destroy the King's position, although he can do that all on his own anyway.

While not for the faint of heart, this
Rebecca
Angus Donald is a great story teller. Most readers will know this from reading the first in his epic historical retelling of the legend of Robin Hood but in Holy Warrior he completely shows off his talent in a fantastic way by taking the man who is both hot and cold away from the forests of Sherwood on the epic voyage and journey with Richard the Lionheart on his holy pilgrimage. Told through the innocent eyes of Alan A'Dale as they encounter foreign enemies, enemies within their own camp, assas ...more
May
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Outlaw Chronicles series (starring Robin Hood and narrated by Alan Dale) is gritty historical fiction at its best. At the end of the first book, Robin Hood makes a vow to go on crusade and help retake Jerusalem. Alan Dale accompanies Robin and discovers that a holy crusade is not all that it's cracked up to be. War is war, no matter how pure the goal is, and it is violent and bloody and miserable. Not to mention that petty jealousies and feuds are exacerbated by too many monarchs and nobles ...more
  • The White Raven (Oathsworn, #3)
  • Hero of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #1)
  • Sworn Sword (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #1)
  • Shieldwall (Conquest Trilogy, #1)
  • Hereward (Hereward, #1)
  • Wolf's Head (The Forest Lord, #1)
  • Sons of Thunder (Raven #2)
  • Arrows of Fury (Empire, #2)
  • Lion of the Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • Corsair (Hector Lynch, #1)
  • Robin and the King (Sherwood, #2)
  • Tyrant: Funeral Games (Tyrant, #3)

The Outlaw Chronicles (8 books)
  • Outlaw (The Outlaw Chronicles, #1)
  • King's Man (The Outlaw Chronicles, #3)
  • Warlord  (The Outlaw Chronicles, #4)
  • Grail Knight (The Outlaw Chronicles #5)
  • The Iron Castle (Outlaw Chronicles, #6)
  • The King's Assassin (The Outlaw Chronicles, #7)
  • The Death of Robin Hood (The Outlaw Chronicles, #8)