Start by marking “Iron War: Dave Scott, Mark Allen, & the Greatest Race Ever Run” as Want to Read:
Iron War: Dave Scott, Mark Allen, & the Greatest Race Ever Run

Iron War: Dave Scott, Mark Allen, & the Greatest Race Ever Run

The 1989 Ironman World Championship was the greatest race ever. In a spectacular duel that become known as the Iron War, the world's two strongest athletes raced side by side at world-record pace for a grueling 139 miles.

Driven by one of the fiercest rivalries in triathlon, Dave Scott and Mark Allen raced shoulder to shoulder through the Ironman 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile
Published October 1st 2011 by Velo Press (first published September 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Iron War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iron War

Start your review of Iron War: Dave Scott, Mark Allen, & the Greatest Race Ever Run
Leslie Doll
Jun 13, 2012 rated it liked it
I started reading this book without being aware of the letter Dave Scott and Mark Allen wrote, protesting the book. I read it anyway; I generally don't allow peer pressure to sway my decision as to whether or not to read a book. Isn't reading a study in critical thinking? Anyway, I digress. I enjoyed some parts of the book more than others; especially for its insights on mental toughness and training. But I had mixed feelings, especially regarding the author and his comments about the Hoyt ...more
Otis Chandler
Inspiring book about one of the greatest ironman races, by two of its greatest champions. I found this very helpful to better understand the sport, and the mindsets of some of its champions.

And to get it out of the way, yes I knew that Dave Scott and Mark Allen had jointly posted a letter objecting that the book was inaccurate, and shouldn't be published. While this is not uncommon in publishing, it did make me read some of the characterizations of them with an open mind. For instance, he
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Given the subject matter, this could have been an excellent book. Unfortunately, the author's writing style includes so many awkward, cliched phrases and wacky sports metaphors that the story of this epic race is reduced to a confusing tale of two flawed characters. The author indicates that he is a fan of both Dave Scott and Mark Allen in the epilogue and acknowledgments, but here's what they had to say after reading the pre-pub copy:

An Open Letter From Dave Scott and Mark Allen

Tony Arreola
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book with a lot of endurance insight.
The book details an amazing race with two of the greatest athletes in our generation. The book drags a bit, but the information is quite powerful.
A must read for any endurance athlete, and all triatheletes.
Ryan Azzi
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Immerse yourself in the minds of the greatest triathletes of all time

An amateur endurance athlete myself. After reading this exhilarating account, I have committed to participating in the Nice Ironman 2020. Maybe along this journey I will manage to garner enough qualifying points to find myself at the Kona starting line the year after. Now that is the kind of effect this book can have on you if you had dabbled or even had a remote interest in endurance sport. Read at your own expense. Don’t say
Amar Pai
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This WAS a pretty epic race! Well told. Interesting digressions on how you can scientifically measure who can run through suffering the most. Average person quits when their mind says "you're exhausted." Iron-persons run way past that till their muscles are literally incapable of continuing. You can tell the difference by measuring "control entropy" which is how spastic their gait is. If truly spent w muscles giving out, gait becomes counter intuitively MORE regular (think when you get a cramp ...more
Steve Van Slyke
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Seekers of Inspiration
Recommended to Steve by: Paco
Shelves: sports
A fascinating story about two endurance athletes with very different backgrounds, personalities, habits, attitudes, and training methods, who nevertheless end up winning the Iron Man competition six times apiece and beating each other in the process.

It's a very human story. The warts and imperfections are neither glossed over nor omitted.

I agree with the author's conclusion: you cannot read a book, study the the training methods of the experts and replicate them and one day expect to find
Cat
Aug 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Horrible. I loved Secret Race (about doping in the cycling world) and I hoped this book would be fascinating too. It was horrible. It was filled with fluffy, repetitive text. He really didn't need 336 pages. 10 would do. I couldn't finish it. To make things worse, I listened to this book on Audible. The narrator sounded like a really bad jr high actor --- forced, over-acted, and unnatural.

Avoid this book. Read Secret Race instead.
Jeff
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on the historic Ironman race between Mark Allen & Dave Scott in Kona. Unlike most race stories, this one has a pattern of a few chapters about the athletes followed by a chapter on the science of racing and suffering. Both are interesting, but the race story was more compelling for me. Still, it was a unique way to tell the story. This book has generated some controversy but I personally think both Dave Scott & Mark Allen look very good throughout the story.
Mark
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A decent attempt to explain a virtually unbelievable race.
Algirdas Purkenas
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
The greatest triathlon battle of all times - this book has a nice lead up to it and serves really well with the description of the actual race.

Also some nice scientific insights into endurance athlete research, touches upon perseverance, anatomy, studies and other interesting topics.

However, one should not forget that this is a book about the actual race that actually happened. I do not understand how the author thought it would be a good idea to simply come up with things like what Mark or Dave
Marta Stojanova
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling and inspiring, though at times repetitive, annoying and heavy with mundane trivia and details that take away from the story. The epilogue ends on a down note as well, though made me think. Although I disagree with the author’s conclusions, his “erroneous” take-aways made me ponder the lives and events recounted in his book. The author pits the two characters against each other as born vs made competitors. Although simplistic, it helps the narrative. The book feels desktop researched ...more
Joey
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Their will to win is undeniable, their feats are commendable, and yet, I just couldn't identify with either of them or get emotionally invested in what they were trying to accomplish. I think that, in order to compete in Ironman at their level, you have to be selfish, asking others to make your goals theirs and to give you all the credit and them none. This resounded throughout the book and I just couldn't get past it. They are amazing athletes, physically and even more so mentally, but this ...more
Jeff Goodfellow
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing. Was expecting an epic story on the "world's greatest race" and it fell well short. Was hoping to read a great sports story and it got way off course. Chapter 7 brings the flow of the story to a complete halt. The race is over two thirds of the way through the book. I'm a runner and the author got a number of things wrong with regards to running, so I can only guess he got other things wrong for the other two disciplines.

Because I'm such a big sports fan, I gave the book 2
Peter Yock
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This was pretty entertaining but after hearing some interviews with Dave Scott and Mark Allen it sounds like it's largely fictional and conjecture on behalf of the author. Still, kinda entertaining, with a little bit of truth splashed in.

I have to say though - this is single-handedly the WORST audio book reading I've ever heard. It's like the whole thing was read by the comic book guy out of the Simpsons. So over dramatised. I had to work hard to not just delete the book on the basis of bad
Mary
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thrillingly inspirational! You can almost hear their breaths and feel their pain. Matt Fitzgerald has tried to capture the solution to the question of why human beings are willing to suffer. Does enduring inhuman pain create a sense of achievement? What makes triathletes tick? What makes the best of them hang on when their bodies are on the verge of collapse? To anyone interested in endurance sports, this is an excellent motivational read.
Danny Schiff
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Iron War made for an exciting read about a grueling rivalry as the Ironman triathlon developed and gained notoriety in the early 80's. I enjoyed reading about Dave Scott and Mark Allen's different approaches to the training and racing, all leading to the 1989 showdown on the Ironman World Championships on the Big Island. A compelling read for any fan of endurance racing, especially interesting as they were still figuring out optimal nutrition, gear, and clothing at the time.
Ananya Gupta
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An exceptionally well written book on the rivalry of two greats at Ironman. What caught my attention and kept it on full swing till the end was the almost live commentery style of writing. One could almost feel the pulse, sweat and exhaustion of Mark Allen and Dave Scott. An absolute pleasure to read and not just for sports fans.
Jonathan Penn
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super interesting with insightful observations about what makes an endurance athlete great.

Side message: It’s scary to see the affect that obsessing in one area of your life can have on the other areas of your life. I’d rather be a decent runner with a good marriage instead of an amazing runner without my marriage.
Caitlin Foisy
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great account of the best race ever run, interspersed with exercise physiology with respect to just "how" these men were physically and me tally capable of performing such feats. an informative and inspirational read. it has re-kindled my love for triathlon!
Garrett
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible story, incredible men and an amazing race.

So much to take away, from a sport who's winner is the person who is capable of suffering the most.

Great lessons on mental toughness.

Lessons learnt:
David
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this having completed Ironman UK this year but not knowing much of the history of the event or this race in particular.

Superb page turner. A must for anyone with an interest in the subject matter or super human sporting achievement in general.
Leighann
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enthralling

Beautifully written and recounted. You feel like you're right there in the middle of the 1989 Iron War. Every triathlete or endurance junkie should read this book. Inspiring.
Dave Sloan
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this race and loved the detailed story of how the battle between two heroes came to be. Legends of triathlon pushing the limits of human capacity.
Tom Smeets
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best book I've read so far about Triathlon ! Loved every minute of reading
Patrick
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome history of the Ironman races. Great read.
Afton Templin
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well researched and a good read
Henry Sim
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written it is just a pity that the author fabricated a lot of information Even though I new this before I started reading the book I still enjoyed it and it did have some interesting insights.
Tom
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Well written. Motivating true story.
stuart pearson
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I read it while training for Ironman and found it inspirational. A great read about two phenomenal athletes.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
  • I'm Here To Win: A World Champion's Advice for Peak Performance
  • The Perfect Mile: Three Athletes, One Goal, and Less Than Four Minutes to Achieve It
  • Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner
  • Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
  • Finding Ultra, Revised and Updated Edition: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself
  • You Are an Ironman: How Six Weekend Warriors Chased Their Dream of Finishing the World's Toughest Tr iathlon
  • Once a Runner
  • The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
  • Wheelmen: Lance Armstrong, the Tour de France, and the Greatest Sports Conspiracy Ever
  • The Rise of the Ultra Runners: A Journey to the Edge of Human Endurance
  • Pro Cycling on $10 a Day: From Fat Kid to Euro Pro
  • Swim, Bike, Run: Our Triathlon Story
  • Natural Born Heroes: How a Daring Band of Misfits Mastered the Lost Secrets of Strength and Endurance
  • Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance
  • Pre: The Story of America's Greatest Running Legend, Steve Prefontaine
  • Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
Matt Fitzgerald is the author of numerous books on sports history and endurance sports. He has enjoyed unprecedented access to professional endurance athletes over the course of his career. His best-sellers include Racing Weight and Brain Training for Runners. He has also written extensively for Triathlete, Men's Fitness, Men's Health, Outside, Runner's World, Bicycling, Competitor, and countless ...more
“The magnitude of the satisfaction that a triathlete experiences upon crossing a finish line is directly proportional to the amount of suffering he has overcome to to get there. This reward knows no ability. Even the slowest of the slow can push themselves beyond existing limits and finish with tremendous satisfaction. But winning often demands and inspires the greatest suffering and thus confers the greatest sense of pride. Often, because of the nature of competition, it is precisely he who has the most guts who is the fastest and experiences the most intense fulfillment at the finish line.

Theoretically, then, the most deeply satisfying experience a triathlete could have in the sport (and among the best in life) would occur at the finish line of a race in which he has overcome as much suffering as he could possibly ever endure, and knows it.”
1 likes
“Mindless performance may be especially helpful in endurance sports because of the supreme importance of the capacity to suffer. The more science and technical detail an athlete incorporates into the training process, the more distracted he becomes from the only thing that really matters: getting out the door and going hard.” 1 likes