Start by marking “The Secrets of Happy Families: Eight Keys to Building a Lifetime of Connection and Contentment” as Want to Read:

2.75  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Proven ways to create a more loving family Research proves that happy families are good for health, longevity, peace of mind, productivity, and success. In The Secrets of Happy Families, Scott Haltzman offers an original approach to building family contentment that works for families of all ethnicities and make-ups-two-parent, single-parent, blended, childless, or same-sex ...more
Published June 8th 2009 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets of Happy Families, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets of Happy Families

Cami
There aren't really any 'secrets' here. This book really just states the obvious. The author uses a whole chapter to say that families come in all shapes and sizes. Another chapter says people who stayed married longer have adjusted their expectations of romantic love. No one needs a book to tell them that.
Lizabeth
Feb 08, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible book. There are a few good thoughts but it's been reduced to a feel good book by trying to be politically correct and defining all family variants as "family". I'd much rather study and ponder the Proclamation on the Family given by our modern day prophet and apostles and if you truly follow what you learn, along with Sister Beck's talk "Mothers Who Know" you'll be set and won't even need to pick this up. Same stuff just watered down. Go to the source, uphold the family unit - single pa ...more
Megan
Jul 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I really enjoyed this book. I especially loved the idea about sitting down with your family and deciding which family values are going to drive your life. It is a great way to give direction and priority into your family's course. He also talks about the importance of resiliency and other family secrets. Overall I thought he had some great points. I guess he is also the author of “secrets for happy wives”, and “secrets for happy husbands” and people were upset with him for his definition of fami ...more
Suzanne
An interesting read for the most part, but definitely not from a christian view point. Most of the principles seem to be pretty much commonsense things that my family does anyway, so it wasn't life changing. It was good to see that the things we do on a daily basis without much thought matter in the long run.
Kit
It was a little gimmicky trying to sell what works for them. I also had the misfortune of having a hardcopy from the library. These days I can only fit in reading those late at night. It was worth it while reading some other baby books, but not really this one. I may pick it up again when he's a little older.
Lisa Williams
Worth reading if you have the time, but it's not a "must-read." I think it could've been shorter, the first chapter especially seemed drawn out and almost pointless. Good tips but nothing groundbreaking.
Whitney Archibald
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I got some good ideas from this book, and felt validated that it's ok that we have dinner at 4:00 without Dad. I liked the approach of looking at happiness in a family as a whole, including grandparents, and not just focusing on the kids.
Amy
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Basically common sense ideas. Nothing new or exciting. Good reminder that you need to communicate and plan to be a happy family, it doesn't just happen.
Malerie
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Way, way over due and had to take back before I finished. It was a little basic, but I hadn't gotten super far in it, may check it out again.
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As far as family related books go, and I have read a ton for school and on my own, just ok.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »