Start by marking “Shoe Addicts Anonymous (Shoe Addict, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shoe Addicts Anonymous (Shoe Addict, #1)

Shoe Addicts Anonymous (Shoe Addict #1)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  24,958 Ratings  ·  905 Reviews
Helene Zaharis's  politician husband  keeps her on a tight leash and cancels her credit cards as a way of controlling her. Lorna Rafferty is up to her eyeballs in debt and can't stop her addiction to Ebay. Sandra Vanderslice, battling agoraphobia, pays her shoe bills by working as a phone sex operator. And Jocelyn Bowen is a nanny for the family from hell (who barely knows ...more
Published June 12th 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Shoe Addicts Anonymous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shoe Addicts Anonymous

The Princess Diaries by Meg CabotRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenPerfect by Sara ShepardThe Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa
In the Pink
1,216 books — 411 voters
Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea HandlerYou Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start in the Morning by Celia RivenbarkStop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank by Celia RivenbarkMiss Taken by Cleo ScornavaccaBright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster
Titles I love
175 books — 58 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristenhaynes2
Jul 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: shoe lovers, ladies in DC, chick lit readers
I liked this book a lot. Yes, it's a bit vapid and implausible, but whatever, it's chick lit! I'm glad someone finally showed that women in DC have style and excellent taste in luxury. While I'm not part of the exquisitely elite, I could appreciate a lot of the name brands, political parties, money manners, and behaviorisms of the supporting characters in this book. I DO wish that the author would have gone more into areas where the women could have gotten shoes, mentioning the blossoming U Stre ...more
Debbie
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves fun chick lit
A fun book about shoes bringing a diverse group of women together. The unlikely group forms a very strong bond. It's interesting to watch the development of the relationships and the addiction to shoes!
Vee Charles
This book was pretty funny and I laughed out loud a few times. (*^_^*)
The thing I liked most about this story is that every woman was from a different class, facing different struggles yet their common interest (as funny as it was) brought them together without judgement to build an extremely strong friendship.
I really appreciated the way Harbison pulled all these personalities together. It's hard not to relate to at least one character or a few things about every character.

This book made me lau
Christa
Aug 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
This wasn't a bad book, but I found at least the first hundred or so pages to be fairly depressing. The book is equally about four female characters, and the beginning chapters are devoted to learning about them and their problems. Each of the characters is facing some large issue, making the book start off heavy and dreary. As the characters meet and get to know one another, the tone does lighten up some. The issues were all dealt with, and the book ended on a much happier note than that on whi ...more
♥ Marlene♥
Finished it this morning. Really enjoyed it. Just a fun read. yes it was bit how do you say that, where those things do not happen in real life, but I had fun non the less.
Might want to get my hands on the other book by this author.
Mickey Reed
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Chick novel fans, funny book fans
Shelves: audio, 2011
This book is hilarious! I laughed pretty hard a couple times. These are characters we can all relate to! They're slightly down on their luck, they're working crappy jobs, they're putting up with cheating and slimy men, and they're shy and overweight. They each have a trait or characteristic that makes this book personable and humorous.

A coworker recommended this book, so I was all over it. After finishing it, it didn't seem like a book she would have read and enjoyed, but she really did. We bot
Nicole
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit

I really enjoyed this book and loved how the girls found friends with strangers. It reminds me of my book club we started as strangers but have become really great friends from a mutual interest. This book was great, it was light and entertaining. A perfect summer pool read.
Aparna
May 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: girly
It was good fun, considering I feel half my life is wanted if i dont buy at least a pair of shoes evey month. Of course, the book is over the top. Irrespective of HOW MUCH one likes shoes, there is a point where a normal person can draw the line (work as a phone-sex operator to buy a pair - make that TWO - one in black and one in a deep pink of Ralph Laurens, realy????). Which is really ironic, coz all these woman are potrayed as normal people, albeit with an abnormal liking for shoes.
So you hav
Dina
May 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
Gina
Apr 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
I was looking for something light and fun, and this book definitely delivered. It had all of the great components of a "beach" book, and it discussed the characters' love of shoes. How can you not like that?

The characters were all well developed, and a one of them (Helene) was so interesting that I would love to read a book just featuring her. The writing was fast-paced and easy, making it perfect for my day spent in bed with a cold.

The basic plot is about women who meet because of their love o
Tiffany
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
A friend and I have taken to exchanging books that we've enjoyed reading. I was intrigued when she loaned me Shoe Addicts Anonymous. At first the title threw me off a little because I'm not a shoe addict myself (although purses are another story, lol) But once I started reading this book I realized it's more about the bonds that women can form and how important friendship can be than it is about shoes.

Shoe Addicts Anonymous throws four unlikely strangers together from a personal ad on 'Gregslist
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
Many women will be able to relate to the shoe obsessed women in this novel. Sometimes I thought they were over exaggerated on the amount of money spent on shoes. But, this is a reality for thousands across the U.S. It was beautiful to see the friendships grow along the way and how close these women became, all because shoes brought them together. I loved that there was a suspenseful little twist in the story. I did not see that coming at all! The ending was perfect and I actually want to read th ...more
Sherri Hunter
Jul 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
My Thoughts: Cute story about shoe addiction that brings four women together once a week to trade designer shoes. These women are from completely different walks of life, but along the way, they become friends as they deal with their shoe addictions, personal problems and living their lives. The author does a wonderful job of introducing each character, spending enough time with each one to give the reader an opportunity to bond and empathize with them. Fans of chick-lit and romance novels will ...more
Amanda
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it

I really liked this book because I can relate to a lot of it. I couldn't put the book down because I liked it so much. The only reason I am giving it 4stars is because the book had so many errors!!! I've never come across a book like that! There were grammatical errors as well as spelling errors.... I mean don't these books have to go through editors? Overall though I enjoyed the book!
Natasha
Oct 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Cute and funny story. I enjoyed reading through the 4 different ladies lives who were brought together by the forming of a club. Otherwise they probably would have never met and been able to impact one another's lives.
Chelsey
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
While this book had some interesting parts, it was surprisingly less about shoes and more about phone sex! LOL
Ikuko
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
A really fun and quick read. Not just for shoe lovers.
Kelly D
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
I felt that there were a few threads left undone and a few plot lines that were under developed. I was anxious for the end of the book so I could move on to the next book on my night stand.
Lori
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
I was needing something lighter and more than my last few reads and this fit the bill perfectly. I'm so happy I have the follow up book on my shelf as I'll be starting that right now.
Zina
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, funny and a light read. :)
Tara Anderton
Was a good light read, My favourite character was Helene. Although Sandra was very interesting too. I chose to read this book because of the title and the fact that I love shoes!
Julie Ann Listi
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My all-time favorite book. Hilarious, heartwarming, and makes me want to buy more shoes!
Amber Schroer
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Serious "chick lit" here and more chick than lit, but it was fun and had all the elements of a good story in its genre. Would I give it 4 stars compared to every book ? No way , but I prefer to rate according to and comparing to books of its kind unless it crossed barriers and was absolutely amazing or terrible.
With that being said, I feel I must mention that lighter genres - for me - are best enjoyed audibly since I don't feel like I'm neglecting the depth of every sentence or word when I'm not
Angela Pineda
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is just what the book doctor ordered! After a less-than-exciting mystery, I decided to go back to one of my favorite genres - good old fashioned chick lit - for an easy breezy read. This one did not disappoint (so forgive the kind-of-ridiculous title).

I have read several Beth Harbison books and this ranks toward the top-- right around "Always Something There to Remind Me' and "When In Doubt, Add Butter." The story revolves four women brought together by their love/obsession with shoes. They
Jill
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun light-hearted story of unlikely friends bonding over a common interest-SHOES!!! It really reminded me of Confessions of a Shopaholic and similar books, it is also is set up like "chick-lit" books with a newly formed circle of women. I really enjoyed this light little read and would recommend it to anyone who needs a little pick me up. It does have a little dash of thriller mystery to it as well!
Suzy
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I probably would've liked it more if I was into shoes. The only character that drove me crazy was Lorna. I'll never understand how someone could cry up and down that they're in so broke, but yet they won't use the money they make to get out of debt. They just buy crap they don't need. It's just hard for me to feel sorry for someone like that.
Daisy
Valentine
Adriel
Colleen
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Somehow, this had both too much detail and not enough... I wonder if I would have preferred it if each woman had her own book and this was a series? It just felt like there were some really interesting subplots that seemed to have a lot of potential that just weren't explored enough. I think four characters was just too much to fit in.
  • A Total Waste of Makeup (Charlize Edwards, #1)
  • The Cinderella Pact
  • The Bachelorette Party
  • The Second Assistant: A Tale from the Bottom of the Hollywood Ladder
  • The Debutante Divorcee
  • I Do -- But I Don't
  • Frenemies
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • Little White Lies
  • See Jane Date
  • Good Luck
  • Little Lady, Big Apple (The Little Lady Agency, #2)
  • Goodbye, Jimmy Choo
  • Slightly Settled (Slightly, #2)
  • Diary of a Mad Mom-to-Be
  • Holly's Inbox (Holly's Inbox #1)
  • Playing James
  • The Next Big Thing
Beth Harbison grew up in Potomac, Maryland, in the shadow of Washington, D.C. Apart from the occasional irritation at being held up in traffic by a presidential motorcade, she has remained fairly uninvolved in the politics that define her home town. Her latest novel, ONE LESS PROBLEM WITHOUT YOU, comes out July 26, 2016.

More about Beth Harbison...

Shoe Addict (3 books)
  • Secrets of a Shoe Addict (Shoe Addict, #2)
  • A Shoe Addict's Christmas

“I think things ultimately work out the way they're supposed to, even if it's not always the most comfortable, cushy way.” 19 likes
“Trust that things do work out by themselves sometimes.” 10 likes