Start by marking “The Monster's Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes” as Want to Read:
The Monster's Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes

The Monster's Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes

Every hero has a story. Every story has a hero. We are all the hero of our own tale, and so it must be true for legions of monsters, from Lucifer to Mordred, from child-thieving fairies to Frankenstein’s monster and the Wicked Witch of the West.

From the point of view of an outsider, they may very well be horrible, terrifying monstrosities, but of course they won’t see them
Published September 27th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Monster's Corner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monster's Corner

Melki
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
"You are no longer part of the human world. You are a Damaged One. No curse, no bite, no full moon is needed to steal away your humanity. You are a monster, as are we all." *

They've been vilified forever in fairy tales, folk tales and popular fiction. It's about time we get to hear the monster's side of the story.

This is a decent collection of tales, all told by some of the more dodgy members of society.

Some highlights:

-- A rather disturbing story about a young girl ghoul who seduces her playma
DAISY DISNEY
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
This turned out to be such a huge disappointment! This was one book that I judged based on the cover. The monsters look gory right? Well the stories within the pages are not! Some of the stories were like-able such as: The Awkward Age (whose title fit perfectly!), Rue, Specimen 313, & Torn Stitches Shattered Glass. 4 out of 19 stories is not impressive. The introduction was great and made me have even higher hopes but I was deceived. I think I am done reading anthologies for the rest of the ...more
Miloș Dumbraci
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
the average was actually 4/5, but from 19 stories no less than 8 were 5/5 for me (the Maberry, McIlven, J. Anderson, McCrumb, Kenyon, Strand, Green and Due - the Due even better than 5/5), just 2 were 2/5 (Moody and Cain) and one 1/5 (Braunbeck, wtf was that?!), the rest 3s and 4s.
So, according to my taste, an excellent, captivating, very diverse selection with a large variety of monsters in quite different meanings of the word. Really enjoyed it, so the overall rating as a whole is 5/5.
Christine
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
The theme of this anthology is, in my mind, utterly brilliant: stories told through the POV of the monster or villain. You’ve now secured my undivided attention! I’m a huge fan of anti-heroes and stories with villains who — if the tables were turned—are as justified in their actions as the protagonist. Those are the best “villains” to me; human ones who grapple with their decisions. And this collection delivers, even if our monsters aren’t, well, human. Best story, you ask? Definitely Chelsea Ca ...more
Carolyn  Storer
Originally posted on Book Chick City.

How interesting does this anthology sound!? I loved the idea of reading from the view point of the monster. I'm also getting more and more into reading short stories. They really are great for when you're short on time, or going through a rough reading slump. And that's exactly what was happening to me when "The Monster's Corner" dropped through my letter box.

I decided I would read four of the stories in "The Monster's Corner" and write mini reviews of each.
Julia
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, horror
I received an ARC of this book from the goodreads first reads program.

I was very excited to receive this book. I have been reading more short story collections this past year and I like the variety that they provide. This was probably my favorite collection I have read lately. All of the stories were good, some were great. Even the stories I didn't like as much were still interesting.

My favorite stories in the book were The Awkward Age, Big Man, Siren Song, Specimen 313 and Wicked Be.
The Awkwar
Stephanie Bain
May 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
most of the stories were boring. I really only liked the first the awkward age and torn stitched, shattered glass.

I wasnt expecting what I read and not in a good way the stories were short but very dull for the most part. some of these absolutely nothing interesting happened. I skim read the last few because either the writing style (dull) or the story (duller) were just blah. so ya.
Brian Fatah Steele
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This anthology was not what I expected. Even though Golden tells us in the forward that he broke his own initial rule about "human monsters," I suppose I was still biased based on the cover art. Or, ya know, the title itself. While there were a number of beasties and creatures, a large amount of these tales centered on more humanoid-like entities and their very human-like behaviors.

Regardless, I didn't find any tales in this anthology that I didn't like. Some were obviously better than others, b
Lyn Battersby
May 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
I guess the best thing I can say about this book is that if you do pick it up and read it you'll probably find at least one story to enjoy. I found four.

They are, in order: The Cruel Thief of Rosy Infants by Tom Picirilli. This touching story made me feel for all the characters involved, including Livia, the real 'monster' of the piece.

Big Man by David Moody. A story that shows just how deeply we misunderstand the monstrous and how really, all they want is to be with those they love.

Rakshasi by
Jake Gest
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
I believe Christopher Golden used the term “sympathy for the devil” in the introduction to The Monster’s Corner to describe the theme -to be honest I may have skimmed over that intro to get to the stories. I know that should have prompted me for what was to come, but “The Awkward Age” by David Liss was what set my expectations. In retrospect it doomed the rest of the tales within. Liss was brilliant; he gave me the distinct taste of that point of no return, the feeling you get at the top of a ro ...more
Bonnie
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Can't really rate this. Some excellent short stories, some OK, some I hated.
BlurryBug
This is a book that is dipping between 3 and 3,5. The stories I did enjoy I really enjoyed, but the stories I didnt care about was rather dull.

Now let me start off with that Horror/monster stories isn't something I usually read. I am known scaredy cat, always staying away from horror movies and similarities.
However, i cant stay I found these stories especially scary. Some was scary in the "too close to reality" type of way, but not in the "boo" way I wanted for this read.

Having said that there w
Pam Winkler
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall, I thought I didn't like this collection very much. But when I went through the stories one by one, I did end up liking more of them than I thought. I think it's because I didn't like the first one and that biased my memory.
Saint John by Jonathan Maberry was nice.
I also liked Torn Stitches, Shattered Glass by Kevin J. Anderson.
Rattler and the Mothman by Sharyn McCrumb was a lot of fun.
Rakshashi by Kelley Armstrong was nice, I liked it.
Siren Song by Dana Stabenow was nice.
The Screamin
Alexis Stankewitz
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't care for most of the stories in this collection, although I did enjoy "And Still You Wonder Why Our First Impulse Is To Kill You:An Alphabetized Manifesto transcribed,edited,and annotated (under duress and protest)" by Gary A. Braunbeck. Most of the others, I skimmed or skipped entirely. The only reason The Monster's Corner gets two stars is because I did enjoy Braubeck's story and would like to check out more of his work.
C. L. Phillips
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, collections
A mediocre collection of stories with, like all anthologies, a few gems. I won't go into details--all in all, this isn't worth reading, with the exception of the following:

Rattler and the Mothman
Rakashi
The Screaming Room (coolest story in the book)
and the last story, Jesus and Satan Go in the Desert (which was actually really cool)
Brett Grossmann
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very uneven book. Few gems..many clunkers. Golden writes at the beginning that the book is about sympathetic monsters like the Frankenstein monster. 100 pages later you get an actual monster story. Too many stories of people doing monsterous things
Erin
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just read the one short story related to the Kate Shugak storyline. Not really interested in the rest.
Jill
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not too shabby. 😊 Several of the short stories were entertaining and I now have a list of (new to me) authors to explore. Some stories were compelling. And a few were lukewarm.
Amy Webster-Bo
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be a very good book
David Hernndez
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
A collection of ill written short stories that don’t live up to the great potential they had...
Shannon Roland
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is story collection focused on the point of view of the monster. It does have one author I love but I might have made an exception because I loved the idea of monster point of view. I just wish it stayed focused on the paranatural or supernatural, an average collection of tales, but worth checking out if you’re looking for a change or break from series or single tales.
1. The Awkward Age by David Liss. Had the feel like a Ghoul Lolita. A little disturbing and could have been more if the reas
Sonatajessica
The Horror of rating a short story collection. Some in here I gave 5 stars, some stories I don't want to give more than 1 star; a lot in between so you could say it is a mixed bag (on average this comes out as 3.1* for me). But when I ask myself what I feel overall, what is my impression of "The Monster's Corner" as a whole, I think it is very solid, very varied and very interesting; I quite liked it and I believe as a collection it deserves 4*. So there you go.
I just really like anthologies, es
Autumn
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, pbwkendread
When I entered into this giveaway to read this book I was in love with not only the title but the cover as well it just CALLED to me. Now it took me a while before I could read it as we all know my book list is long!
Now when I started the book we are given an introduction by Christopher Golden on what he wanted out of this book. He wanted the stories told by the monsters point of view not the humans which I got. He didn't want the normal vampires and zombies that are always told he wanted somet
Paul Harmon
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
We All know how Anthologies work. The quality is up and down and some people just don't get the theme or just should never have been included etc.
The Monster's corner Edited by the great (to me) Christopher Golden isn't much different but I admit it was a little better than many anthologies I've come across.

There were a few spits and stutters along the way.
Succumb by John Mcllveen was a rather pointless sex story. Big Man by David Moody was really just the old 50's shlock film the colossal Man.a
Patricia Puckett
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What first caught my eye about this anthology, other than its very wonderful premise, was the name of the editor. His Buffy the Vampire Slayer novel Pretty Maids All in a Row was the only noncanon Buffy novel I've ever truly enjoyed. So when I was presented with the opportunity to read this delightful anthology, I took it. And boy did I not regret it.

This book has a little bit for everyone, a little twisted romance--like in the very first story, "The Awkward Age" by David Liss--to something tota
Kylie
As is usual with anthology collections there was the usual mix of excellence and mundanity. However, I think overall this just snuck into 'good' rather than 'meh'.

My absolute favourite story was Sarah Pinborough's 'The Screaming Room'. I love Medusa and this was so twisted it was perfect. I also really enjoyed 'Rattler and the Mothman' since I am interested in Forteana; this felt like it should be an opening chapter or story to a larger volume along the same lines. Rattler is an interesting char
Angela Crawford
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it
An all original anthology from some of todays hottest supernatural writers, featuring stories of monsters from the monster's point of view.

In most stories we get the perspective of the hero, the ordinary, the everyman, but we are all the hero of our own tale, and so it must be true for legions of monsters, from Lucifer to Mordred, from child-thieving fairies to Frankenstein's monster and the Wicked Witch of the West. From our point of view, they may very well be horrible, terrifying monstrositi
Lee Battersby
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
An interesting mix of styles, in that it attempts to view one of the pulpiest of horror staples from a literary angle-- most of the authors contained within the book work at the more literary end of the horror scale, and it's interesting to note that the only two stone-cold dud stories come from authors outside of that literary tradition: Heather Graham's "Wicked Be" and Kevin J Anderson's "Torn Stitches, Shattered Glass" fall far short of the rest, and their limitations are exposed because the ...more
Ariyana Spencer
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won an ARC of this anthology from the Goodreads' Giveaways, and I'm rather glad I did. The Monster's Corner was definitely a book I'd pick up in stores. This is an excellent selection of stories, though not necessarily what I was expecting when I cracked open the spine. There are a few stories I liked less than others, but, for the most part I felt all the contributing writers had something fresh to say. My favorite tales--and I do hate picking favorites because several of the stories featured ...more
Andy
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I was a bit disappointed with this collection. The majority of the stories were about human monsters, or monsters that might as well have been human.

Of the two stories that stood out to me, one was a story that I actually wasn't looking forward to reading when I purchased the book. Once I found my way to the story on Frankenstein's monster, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

My favorite story in the book, I actually read before purchasing it. Specimen 313 is available to read for free as a sample book on
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bewere the Night
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Five
  • By Blood We Live
  • Willy
  • The Endlands (Volume 1)
  • Curse of the Full Moon: A Werewolf Anthology
  • Elephantmen, Vol. 1: Wounded Animals
  • Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!
  • Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
  • The Mammoth Book of Monsters
  • Ghosts by Gaslight
  • Dark Delicacies II (Dark Delicacies, #2)
  • The Art of Fiction: A Guide for Writers and Readers
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more