Start by marking “The Hidden Child (Patrik Hedström, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Child (Patrik Hedström, #5)

The Hidden Child

(Fjällbacka #5)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  17,244 ratings  ·  1,246 reviews
Crime writer Erica Falck is shocked to discover a Nazi medal among her late mother’s possessions. Haunted by a childhood of neglect, she resolves to dig deep into her family’s past and finally uncover the reasons why. Her enquiries lead her to the home of a retired history teacher. He was among her mother’s circle of friends during the Second World War but her questions ar ...more
Published June 20th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published April 19th 2007)

·  17,244 ratings  ·  1,246 reviews

Phrynne
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-2019
I felt that Lackberg walked a fine line with this one. By putting Patrik at home instead of at the police station she made the book more domestic than crime. On the other hand she turned Erica into a temporary sleuth and successfully ran two separate mysteries until they became one. It worked for me.

As with all good series I have an attachment by now to all of the main characters and it is good to see them changing and developing. Anna in particular has made huge progress and I loved the moment
Alex
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Hidden Child is easily the strongest entry in Läckberg's canon to date, and this is largely attributable to the fact that in this novel she has a masterful handle on just about all of her characters. Erica is not sidelined for the first time since The Ice Princess, and Mellberg, now that we've accepted that he doesn't do any actual work, is clearly being groomed into a lovably reformed "middle aged" man in his sixties. First you throw him a dog, and the rest will follow.

The crime here is fa
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it

In this 5th book in the 'Fjällbacka/Patrik Hedström' series, Swedish crime writer Erica Falck is faced with the possibility that her mother was a Nazi sympathizer during WWII. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

In Fjällbacka, Sweden two teens break into the house of Erik Frankel, an elderly man who collects Nazi memorabilia. They're shocked to discover his badly decomposed body. Coincidentally true crime writer Erica Falck, looking through belongings of her deceased mother, Elsy, finds so
Aditi
“One day you will do things for me that you hate. That is what it means to be family.”

----Jonathan Safran Foer

Camilla Läckberg, the international bestselling author, is back with her new Nordic noir, The Hidden Child which is the fifth book in her popular crime thriller series, Fjällbacka. This book welcomes the well admired protagonist, Patrik Hedström, who is on a four month paternity leave for his 1 year old daughter whereas his popular crime writer wife, Erica is back to writing novels bu
Alex
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, mystery
I'm not really sure why I'm still reading these, but I guess they're predictably enjoyable? I'm always really into the mysteries, and you pretty much know it's going to unfold really slowly.

Still, they are uncomfortably sexist sometimes, even though Lackberg seems to be making an effort to sort of drag that discussion into her story. But, like, Patrik will do things like go on an accidental two-hour errand run, while leaving the baby with Erica even though she's now working and he's on paternity
Jeanette
I'm generous giving this a 3. Closer to a 2.5 star because these novels (Lackberg series) are not as much crime or mystery genre anymore as they are continuing character minutia tracts. The read is 40% character trivia that is basically unrelated whimsy and only on a super wide tangent from any fact or semi-involved relationship that has anything to do with the plot or outcome of the "mystery". A run on sentence but that's what is going on more and more with each progressive Lackberg novel. I do ...more
LENA TRAK
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book!

Another favourite from Camilla Lackberg! I just cannot get enough of her writing! Her thrillers are right up my alley! This one includes flashbacks from the dark days of WW2 which is another reason why I loved it! I think this one along with The stonecutter are my 2 favourites! Don't miss it!

"Because people who refused to love had nothing to lose"
Ema
I was an avid reader of detective novels in high school, but I haven't tried this genre for quite a while. I decided to leave the classics aside and dive into unknown territories, those of the modern writers of detective fiction. My first try (apart from Stieg Larsson) was the Scandinavian Camilla Läckberg, who turned out to be a big disappointment. Another reason not to fall prey again to a good rating and a promising synopsis.

If you brace yourself and read this book nonetheless, be ready for
Stacia
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nordic, 2012
Marsha
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you haven't discovered Swedish crime sensation Camilla Lackberg yet, you are in for a treat. Her first three books, in order are:

The Stonecutter
The Preacher
Gallow's Bird

Had I known, I would have begun with the trilogy in order, but the first book I happened upon was Gallow's Bird, then I found The Ice Princess, her fourth. Both have recurring characters and it doesn't really matter what order you read them in as the crimes/mysteries stand on their own. The crimes are intriguing and original a
Magil
Jul 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this book right from the first chapter when the author had a one year old more advanced than she should have been. On page 80 the author had the medical examiner explain that Erik had been killed by a right handed person standing in front of him who hit him on the right temple. Later in the book, the killer stated that he had dropped the stone bust on the top of Erik’s head.

The reactions of her characters were often in excess of the circumstances. The plot was predictable
Kenchiin
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An intense page-turner. Crime Fiction at its finest.
Caroline
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, murder-mystery
What do entries in a diary, a Nazi Iron Cross medal, and a retired history professor found murdered in his chair by teens who broke into his house have in common? Secrets. A dreadful secret held by a scared young man who escaped into Sweden, fleeing the Germans. Secret payments to a man by the murdered victim. A horrific secret held by a group of young friends in the 1940s. Someone is out to protect those secrets at all costs.

Patrik Hedstrom has to only participate in this murder investigation
Susan
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lord, I'm still stuck in Sweden. Best Patrik Hedstrom book yet in the series for so many reasons. Will write full review tomorrow. I have to decide if I should stay in Fjallbacka or not. I'm afraid if I leave I won't return for a while and there are only a couple of books left in this series. I might have to stay....
Book Concierge
Digital audio performed by Simon Vance

Erica’s mother has died, and when going through her mother’s possessions, she’s shocked to discover a Nazi medal. She goes to the home of a retired history professor to get information about the artifact, but he’s less than helpful and rather evasive. Two days later he’s dead. And Erica’s husband, Patrik, gets involved in the investigation.

This is the fifth book in the series featuring crime writer Erica Falck and Detective Patrik Hedström, in the village of
AdiTurbo
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good, mature writing, better than most Scandinavian thrillers I've read. Sound character building, the writer is compassionate towards them, and doesn't present them as black or white, good or bad. Interesting plot which involves true historical events. Enjoyable read.
Donna
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
This was a solid 3 stars for me. There was much that I liked about this book and a few things that I didn't. I liked the author's set up in the beginning. It was engaging. I also liked the characters. They had some interesting characteristics. The policeman who was on paternity leave was great. That was new to me.

The feeling I had in the beginning with the great set up, wasn't sustained throughout. I liked the story and the characters, it was just slow for me at times. There was too much meande
June
This is my first time reading a Camilla Lackberg novel. I saw a lot of buzz late last year about her novels and decided to try. Firstly don't read the blurb, it is somewhat misleading. This is a translated literary mystery. The strength here is the characters and the weaving of two mysteries. And it deals with the impact of world war 2.

One of the themes here is the role of parenthood. The struggle for working mothers to cope and how fathers fail/thrive in their roles. Notably the main character
Richard
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Crime writing is a complicated task that Camilla appears to have mastered with ease. This is the fifth book in this series that is a police procedural at its heart but about life in general. Once again we have a terrific novel, over 500 pages but captivating to the end. Can you keep a secret? The Hidden Child is about a dark secret from childhood that seeps out into a present time where those distant friends now elderly are caught up in a murder when one of their number is brutally killed - can ...more
Sally Rivers
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I've read two books by this author and it's only fair to say that she's not for me. However, I don't want to put you off. I've given it a low rating because I have to, to me it was just 'okay', but I knew as I was reading it that many others would think far more of it.

I like my crime fiction, and in all sorts of shapes and sizes, but there were just too many tangents here, too many distractons, and to be blunt, too much character contemplation of the navel.

Everyone has their own tastes. I am qui
Julie
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of Camilla Lackberg's crime stories and so far, I think The Hidden Child is the best of this series. Tore through this one and couldn't put it down! Already have the next one on hold at the library.......

Albert
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hidden Child by Camilla Lackberg is considered book #5 in the Patrick Hedstrom series but it is the fourth or third to be translated and made available to English reading audiences. Though it is referred to as the Patrick Hedstrom series it is quite a bit more the Ericka Falck Hedstrom story as she once again taking center stage in this mystery of murder, betrayal and a buried past.

Erica is a crime writer, mother and wife to Detective Patrick Hedstrom. In going through the possessions of her
Thebooktrail
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The fifth installment in the Camilla series of books and this one is a real favourite of ours due to the history and weaving in of past and present. The best and strongest in the series for the subject matter and the complex yet fascinating story.

A horrible secret from the past slowly comes to light - about a young man who fled the Germans and came to Sweden looking to start over. Turns out the murder victim was making regular payments to someone for some reason.

could it be that he wanted a secr
Elaine Oliveira
Jul 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lc
Quite tiresome and repetitive narrative, a bit obvious in the mystery department and a lot of passages concerning the personal drama aspect of series as a whole - not something a first time reader like myself find interesting.

It felt a lot like watching a reeeaaaallllllyyyy long episode of any American police series of your choice, with poor dialogue and - dare I say it? - unintellingent detectives.

All in all, it sometimes got me feeling that Lackberg sees her readers as the unintelligent lot.
Barbara
The story itself was 4 stars but the narration probably 2 stars. The narrator used this annoying old-man-gruff voice for multiple characters which was very very confusing. The mystery starts with the murder of an elderly man. It evolves into a mystery going back to World War II and Nazis. It moves between the past and present which was also confusing in the audio version. Nonetheless, it was a good story, and would make a gripping read, but I cannot recommend the audio version.
Barbara Kinsky
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wwii-holocaust
What a clever way the author has written this book! It kept me guessing right till the end! This book was translated from Swedish to English and it was translated so well, I could not tell the difference. I also am a sucker for reading books that go from the present to the past every alternative chapter! Brilliant thriller and highly recommended!
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and it kept me intrigued. Now I will read the other books by camille

Chose this rating as it was masterfully written.Will read other books. I read many about ww two . Very informative
Kara Hansen
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This is the fifth book in the Patrik Hedstrom series. I enjoyed this one somewhat more than the previous books. I think partly due to better translating, and partly to the emotional twist that took place in this story. We are again following Detective Patrik Hedström and his wife Erika. Patrik has just started a six month paternity leave from his job at the police station while his wife Erika has the opportunity to write another book. Some comical moments as he adjusts to life as a st ...more
Elena
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The best of Läckberg so far!!!
MICHELLE G VIRNELSON
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really like the history the author brings together in her books. This one had a poignant ending.

• Until Thy Wrath be Past (Rebecka Martinsson, #4)
  • The Inner Circle (Anders Knutas, #3)
  • The Disappeared (Fredrika Bergman & Alex Recht, #3)
  • En plats i solen (Annika Bengtzon, #8)
  • The Hand That Trembles
  • Den som vakar i mörkret (Inspector Huss #9)
  • Summer Death (Malin Fors #2)
  • Bad Intentions (Konrad Sejer, #9)
  • The Darkest Room (The Öland Quartet, #2)
  • Sail of Stone (Inspector Winter, #6)
  • Människa utan hund (Barbarotti #1)
Before she became one of Sweden’s most popular crime writers, Camilla Läckberg (b. 1974) worked as a marketing director and product manager for several years. Her first two crime novels, Isprinsessan (The Ice Princess) and Predikanten (The Preacher), received rave reviews from the Swedish press and quickly found a large readership. But her big breakthrough came when Stenhuggaren (The Stonecutter) ...more

Fjällbacka (10 books)
  • The Ice Princess (Patrik Hedström, #1)
  • The Preacher (Patrik Hedström, #2)
  • Stenhuggaren (Patrik Hedström, #3)
  • Olycksfågeln (Patrik Hedström, #4)
  • The Drowning (Patrik Hedström, #6)
  • Fyrvaktaren (Patrik Hedström, #7)
  • Änglamakerskan (Patrik Hedström, #8)
  • Lejontämjaren (Patrik Hedström, #9)
  • Häxan (Patrik Hedström, #10)
“Porque quien no ama, tampoco se arriesga a perder.” 3 likes