Start by marking “The List” as Want to Read:
The List

The List

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  20,897 Ratings  ·  2,858 Reviews
An intense look at the rules of high school attraction - and the price that's paid for them.

It happens every year. A list is posted, and one girl from each grade is chosen as the prettiest, and another is chosen as the ugliest. Nobody knows who makes the list. It almost doesn't matter. The damage is done the minute it goes up.

This is the story of eight girls, freshman to s
Published April 1st 2012 by Push

To ask other readers questions about The List, please sign up.
Amelia It's in third person. Third person uses names, "she," "he," etc. First person is when the story is told through the character's eyes, and although we…moreIt's in third person. Third person uses names, "she," "he," etc. First person is when the story is told through the character's eyes, and although we follow each girl around, they do not personally tell us their story. Someone who is watching it is telling it. The person telling it is purely a narrator, not included in the story at all. Second person is when the author says "you," including you in the story and often letting you make decisions. If you know what the app Episode is, you probably have a good idea of it. Also, if you're a fangirl and familiar with imagines, those are often written in second person, because your purpose is to include the reader in the story. The only possibility is third person. Hope this helps. :)(less)
Zeina Amr well, was it worth reading it, is a yes, but did it reach my expectations, sadly no as there was a lot of confusing parts in it and the ending wasn't…morewell, was it worth reading it, is a yes, but did it reach my expectations, sadly no as there was a lot of confusing parts in it and the ending wasn't that good unlike the beginning (less)

Emily May
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, 2012

2.5
To say that this was one of my most anticipated books of 2012, I am really disappointed. As with Not That Kind Of Girl, I thought this book had the potential to be really good and I'm sure the author set out with the greatest of intentions... and yet this novel failed to deliver. And I think that was mostly because it tried too hard to be a number of different things and, by doing so, was stretched too thin and failed to achieve any of the initial goals.

I gave the rating that extra .5 star b
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Often it pays to be just in the middle of things-to be your ole regular, average self because often it sucks to be at the bottom just as it does to be on top (no innuendos intended^^) and The List accurately portrays this reality of life and what better setting can effectively show this than high school?

Labels are annoyingly inevitable part of social life and to young people’s crucial, formative years, labels may tremendously affect their self worth. Mount Washington High School’s ominous list c
Arlene
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Booker - ARC Tour Flannery
Thank you Flannery from The Readventurer for allowing me to read this ARC. :D

With trembling hands, she quickly finishes pinning the dress and puts it on…then she twists her hair up, adds a bit of lipstick. She gets ready without looking in the mirror…. She doesn’t need to see herself. She already knows. She will never be pretty...

So here’s what happens every year at Mount Washington High School. A week before Homecoming, students walk the halls in search of The List posted and scattered around t
Rocket
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Adults sometimes shouldn't review teen fiction. Or at least, we should get some teenagers to review it too.

The List by Siobhan Vivian is about eight high school girls, two from each grade, who are put on The List during homecoming week at Mount Washington High. The List is a list of the prettiest - and ugliest - girls in each grade, two for each. The book follows all of the girls through the week, narrating their reactions, the school's reactions, and the events that follow because of this list.
Aditi
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“To lose confidence in one’s body is to lose confidence in oneself.”

----Simone de Beauvoir

Siobhan Vivian, the New York Times bestselling author, has penned an incredibly enlightening and an entrancing contemporary young adult fiction, The List in which the author has woven a story about eight high school teenage girls from various grades who are picked up for a list that labels four of the girls as the ugliest in their high school and rest four as the prettiest, but little did they knew that b
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin (UK) Limited and NetGalley.)

“Freshmen Uglist:
Danielle DeMarco –
Also known as Dan the Man.”

This was a YA contemporary story about a group of girls on prettiest/ugliest list.

There were several main characters in this and it was quite hard to keep up with them all. I felt quite sorry for the girls who were labelled as ugly, especially with the treatment they then received from their friends.
Wendy Darling
Made it through about 50 pages before the shifting present tense--among other things--drove me crazy.
Charley Cook
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
wow wow wow wow...bloody amazing
Check out my video review here --> http://youtu.be/LJp1TnxyCYA
Elise (TheBookishActress)
2.5 stars. This book had a lot of potential, but was ultimately ruined by a focus on too many topics at once.

The List is about standards of beauty and how they play into the friendships between girls. I liked the message the author was trying to get across. Unfortunately, the author touches on too many topics without adequate development or closure. In fact, the ending barely closes off anything.

As an example, the author is clearly trying to call out slutshaming. Unfortunately, there are many
Cassie
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-read

GOD this book. Legit.

It had all the potential, a total 5 star potential.

BUT THE ENDING.

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?

Lol funny to say is I'm writing this review watching the Victoria's Fashion Show and eating a candy bar. But the ending seriously just ruined the whole book. :/

Gifs to describe my feelings. Enjoy.

At the beginning of the book...

In the middle of the book...

At the ending of the book, reading the ending..

So in general it was a HUGE let down.
Giselle
Jan 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, own
A light, quick read - The List follows eight girls who have been named ugliest or pretties on this "List" which has been posted around the school every year for decades. You think being a "prettiest" would be easy? Think again!

Although The List addresses several teen issues throughout the story, it ended up being a much fluffier read than I expected. With eight different points of view, we're taken into each of the four ugliest, as well as the four prettiest girls' lives spanning the week after
Carlos De Eguiluz
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Una novela que si que te hace comprender la mente de la joven adolescente, en el escenario que prefieras.
Kate ♡
Apr 04, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2016-read
Only read Bridgette's story.
All I'll say is the author did a brilliant job of capturing the mind of a teenager and the sorts of issues she experienced.
Jo
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
So, I wanted to really, really like this book, but the ending was so abrupt that I just can't. Every year in this high school, a list comes out naming the prettiest and ugliest girls in each grade. The List deals with the fallout of this list over the next week. But is it really just over the course of one week?

Being listed as the prettiest junior encourages one girl's budding eating disorder - which is also wreaking havoc on her relationship with her younger sister. This isn't something that en
Maddie L
I really enjoyed reading this book. I heard that it was a very good book if you liked realistic fiction, I totally agree! If you like realistic fiction I HIGHLY recommend it for you!
Dulce María
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Llegue a este libro esperando algo completamente distinto creí que sería narrado por la creadora de la lista e interactuaría con cada una de las chicas, en cambio me encuentro con que es narrado desde el punto de vista de las 8 chicas las mas "feas" y las más "bonitas". Este libro me recordó perfectamente lo que es estar en secundaria y que el mundo a tu alrededor sea tan superficial como para que estas cosas importen, pero sobre todo toco varias fibras sensibles de mi yo del pasado sin buena au ...more
Katie
The List is ridiculously heartbreaking. It's meant to be. But for me, it was absolutely ... gutwrenching. As someone who suffered with depression as a teenager, I knew the book would be pretty personal and touchy but ... holy crap. I was a messy puddle of emotions on my bedroom floor when I closed the book. It's like Siobhan Vivian reached into my head, gripped every insecurity I had about myself as a teenager and squeezed. Hard.

Before I get into how much this book made me feel, I'll start with
May
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: estantería
The List es una novela Young Adult autoconclusiva que cogí con muchas ganas. Es una novela de la que he oído hablar cosas bastante buenas y otras no tanto. Pero aún así tenía ganas de leerla y tener mi opinión. The List cuenta la historia de ocho chicas totalmente diferentes y con una historia propia que nos muestra cómo son y por qué aparecen en dicha lista.
Lo primero que me llamó la atención y lo que, de hecho, más me ha gustado de esta novela es la lista que aparece en la historia. Es lo más
J
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it
The whole time I was reading this book---I kept thinking about a comment that Sally Field made in an interview many years ago. She said, "I cannot live up to all the images that people have assigned to me---it would be like chasing ghosts."

Popularity, social outcasts, cliques, friends, enemies, rejection, acceptance,---are the ingredients to a well rounded high school life. No matter the social circle a young teenage girl is blessed with or cursed by, she can never experience friendships charact
Emily_C1
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
"The List" is such a heartbreaking, smart, funny, book! It has really captured the lives of high school girls, and their issues with identity, self-esteem, and judgement from others. Most importantly, the danger of labels.

Jen
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Meh. This one just didn't do it for me. I only got about 104 pages into it and just don't really care about the characters or the plot. Many of the minor characters weren't even named, they were, "her friend from science class" or some other descriptor that didn't include a name. That made me feel like the author didn't really care either. This has been on my "currently reading" list long enough. It's time to move it onto my DNF list.

Not my cup of tea. Others may enjoy, but I just couldn't get
Sara
May 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
*I'm in a minority here. A big, lonely minority*
You know that annoying plot mountain concept? The fact that a story has a beginning, middle, and end? Here's a little demo:
description

Yeah, well this book has NONE OF IT. Well, maybe I'm being a bit harsh. It had a prolonged intro. I was waiting for almost two hundred pages for it to be over. Some books start their rising action at twenty friggin' pages and this book HAS NONE. You get to know the character's problems and... and... and... literally NOTHING EL
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
What a disappointment! I really wanted this to be good, like REALY wanted to love it, and it had such potential! But the characters were all high-school cliches and the ending was so unsatisfying and gave literally no closure - apart from Danielle, you go Danielle!
Deanna
2.5 stars.
Reposting my review.

Every year, 8 girls get listed as the "ugliest" or the "prettiest" girl of their year.
For this years prettiest, we have freshman Abby Warner, sophomore Lauren Finn, junior Bridget Honeycutt, and senior Margo Gable.
For the ugliest, we have freshman Danielle Demarco, Candace Kincaid, Sarah Singer, and Jennifer Briggis (who's been listed as the ugliest for the last three years as well, making her the only student who has been listed all four years).

The story happens o
Drew
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
2 1/2 stars. I think this is one of those cases where the author bit off more than she could chew.

Let's start with the positive. I really appreciated the diversity and the examination of different kinds of girls in school. There were airheads, mean girls, ones with pent-up anger, and genuinely nice girls. This book showed girls under the pressure of their cliques to maintain a perfect image, girls hiding their problems behind a beautiful smile, and worst of all - jealousy, guilt, and betrayal. I
Erin Lynn
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Really? That's it? It's a pretty mediocre book.

Full review to come can be seen at The Hardcover Lover.
Fuzaila
This book was a different take on high school contemporary. An original plot, memorable characters, and quick pace, made it a delectable read. Being a Jenny Han fan, I’ve been meaning to read Siobhan Vivian for a long time now, The List certainly made me want to discover more of the author. 3.5/5 stars.

THE PLOT

A week before the homecoming dance, the students of Mount Washington High come to school to find a list taped and stapled to doors, lockers, notice boards and everywhere else. It isn’t som
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Ποιος από εμάς δεν θυμάται τα σχολικά του χρόνια; Άλλοι τα αναπολούν και άλλοι, χαίρονται που έφυγαν και δεν θα γυρίσουν ποτέ. Κακά τα ψέματα, τα χρόνια του Γυμνασίου και του Λυκείου ειδικά, δεν περνάνε για όλους, το ίδιο ευχάριστα. Κάποιοι βρίσκονται στο επίκεντρο και κάποιοι άλλοι, στο περιθώριο. Άλλοι θεωρούνται άξιοι να διεκδικήσεις την παρέα τους και άλλοι, ανάξιοι, έστω και για να ρίξεις μια δεύτερη ματιά προς το μέρος τους. Και ανάμεσα σε όλες τις κατηγορίες ανθρώπων, βρίσκονται οι όμορφο ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Do you remember what you looked like in high school? No, wait… not how you actually looked, but how you felt like you looked. Even if you looked okay, you didn’t necessarily feel like you did. And worrying about everyone looking at you, judging you, that horrible self-consciousness that scars you for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.
Okay, maybe I'm being a little overdramatic, but this is a book about teenagers, and that's what it feels like when you're a teen.

And truly, high school sucks. No, I don’t me
Ellis
I'm not entirely sure what exactly I expected to get from The List, but I ended up quite disappointed anyway. Don't get me wrong. This is a very readable book with a nice story that moves at a quick pace, but I really slogged through some of the chapters, mostly because there were certain characters I just couldn't stand. The beginning was rough and I initially thought the writing quite juvenile, though it later became clear that this was more a reflection of the character in question than the w ...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: The List by Siobhan Vivian - Restarting September 3rd 2017 35 87 Sep 25, 2017 11:41AM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: The List 5 13 Aug 18, 2017 06:58PM
Book Review: The List 1 2 Aug 03, 2017 03:55PM
Crazy for Young A...: The List, by Siobhan Vivian → Start Date: May 5, 2017 11 18 May 21, 2017 10:22PM
Bridget *Spoiler* 27 155 Mar 10, 2017 09:24AM
  • The Story of Us
  • Where It Began
  • Reunited
  • Someone Else's Life
  • Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked, #1)
  • 7 Clues to Winning You
  • Breaking Beautiful
  • Shooting Stars
  • In Too Deep
  • Belles (Belles, #1)
  • Perfect Escape
Siobhan Vivian is the author of THE LAST BOY AND GIRL IN THE WORLD (April 2016), as well as THE LIST, NOT THAT KIND OF GIRL, SAME DIFFERENCE, and A LITTLE FRIENDLY ADVICE. She also co-wrote BURN FOR BURN series with her best friend JENNY HAN. She currently lives in Pittsburgh.
More about Siobhan Vivian

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Vengeance Road
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Sometimes, when you get something new, you trick yourself into believing it has the power to change absolutely everything about you.” 97 likes
“That's how inside jokes usually are. Funny to those inside, annoying as shit to the rest of the world.” 44 likes