Start by marking “Something Deadly This Way Comes” as Want to Read:
Something Deadly This Way Comes

Something Deadly This Way Comes (Madison Avery #3)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  3,049 Ratings  ·  210 Reviews
I'm Madison Avery, in charge of heaven's hit squad . . . and fighting it all the way.

When Madison died the night of her prom, she knew her life would never be the same. Now she has a powerful amulet, a team of rogue angels by her side, and the ability to flash forward into the future to see the shape of destiny. And of course, now she's finally with Josh—a perfect boyfrien
Published May 24th 2011 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Something Deadly This Way Comes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Deadly This Way Comes

LIA
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
busy so much past ten days, can't read, my mood is peevish. and unfortunately when I got a chance to read, choose the wrong series, at least I don't curious anymore.

for you who want to taste this author works, never try this one. go for the hollow series instead. this one is really horrible. and yeay, glad I can finished it.

the characters didn't leave a deep impression, can't bonding with them.
the storyline... weird and bewildered. the adventures okay, the romance blah, the plot not that good
Kelly
Flat out, this is isn't my favorite series. I have a really hard time wrapping my head around how the light reapers are willing to let their charges get EATEN INTO NOTHING on the very slim chance that they'll change and become a better person before they die. I guess I could get behind it a little more if their charges were allowed to keep their memories of meeting a reaper so that they could make a conscious decision to change or... or.... something. I don't know. I'm bothered by it. I get why ...more
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
 photo tumblr_lrzggsmOFm1qf8i04.gif
I just don't care enough to continue to waste my time.
Yodamom
2.5 I tried, I wanted to like it, I wanted to support one of my favorite authors. But the main character Madison, was too immature, too selfish, got my ;last nerve twitching. I just couldn't get past my dislike of her to enjoy the story. It is a shame , I liked the side characters and the plot was interesting.
It just didn't work for me.
pinkthecolour
Ugh. The idea behind this series is brilliantly unique - the execution, however, is not. Madison is annoying, childish and repetitive. The romance is completely unbelievable with the love interest absent from most of the book (heck, series). (view spoiler). It was just badly written. Awesome idea, though. That was what kept me going.
Annabell
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Upon reading the blurb to this book, I had been instantly intrigued and very curious to know what this story would be like. I did not, however, pay attention to the fact that Something Deadly This Way Comes is the third installment in Kim Harrison’s Madison Avery series so when I received the advance copy of the novel I had wondered if I would actually even enjoy the book because I hadn’t read the first two. Not only did I ABSOLUTELY love this book, I had trouble putting it down!

The cast of cha
Kathy Davie
Third in the Madison Avery urban fantasy young adult series about Madison herself as the Dark Timekeeper aching to change the status quo — save the person whose soul is in danger instead of simply killing them.

My Take
OK, I was not impressed; mostly a lot of sturm und drang. The basic plot is interesting, but this particular installment in the series is very skippable. Oh, I can't really say that as it does advance the basic plot, and you'll want to know this for when #4 comes out…I do hope Harri
Kt
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed, hardcopy
Ever since Madison was killed and thrust into leading the Dark Reapers as their Timekeeper on the side of Fate, her life has been one big chaotic mess. She would give almost anything to to change her fate and be just a normal girl again. However, she also realizes that the system must change, and she is just the girl for job. Well, the only girl that is. Everyone else seems content with the way things have been for a Milena or more. It's an uphill battle but one that she firmly believes in. Thin ...more
Vanessa
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great finale for another very good trilogy!

Madison is still struggling with her job; however, she has more faith in her plans working out, since she was already able to change the destiny of a person once. She discovers more abilities and her powers awaken bit by bit and she even finds her body. Her taking her body back should be a good thing, since she wished to be alive again all along; however, it only makes things more complicated instead.
In this book Josh is back again, experienci
Beatriz
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I'm sad that this is the last book in the Madison Avery series. I first read Kim Harrison's short story in Prom Nights From Hell, and I was really excited when she turned Madison's story into an actual book/series.
It was a really good book, and I think she ended the story on a good note. Although I was confused at some points throughout the book, I'm still glad I read it and got my closure with Madison. (view spoiler)
Darcy
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, ya
I wasn't even going to read this book because as much as I love this author's Rachel Morgan series, this one is sub par. But once I heard that this was the last book in the series, I thought why not...I knew the book was going to be a quick fast read like the others and it was.

The antics of Madison and her crew were mildly interesting. I did like how she wanted to save people's souls, that they didn't need to be reaped. I also liked how she got those around her to help her, but she needed more
Sibil
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wobble-sibil
It was a nice reading. It's not a perfect series, it's a YA and it shows: the idea is really good but it's not well developed (or not as well developed as it could have been), the division between light and dark is really interesting and the story was good but Harrison is a good writer with a lot of potential and I think that YA is not her best genre.
But it was a good reading. We see more of Josh, yay! And I loved all the development (view spoiler)
Nicole Lynn Hoefs
I liked this better than the last two audiobooks, but it still wasn't 5 star material to me. It has a nice conclusive ending. Not sure I'd really recommend these books to people though. I wasn't that impressed with the trilogy.
Marie
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: angels, ghosts
Really am enjoying this series! It's different and really... Cool. I didnt enjoy this book as much as the first two but the first ones are always better.

Can't wait to see how everything evolves in book 4:)
OpenBookSociety.com
Brought to you by OBS staff member Annabell Cadiz

Something Deadly This Way Comes
Author: Kim Harrison

Synopsis: When Madison died the night after her prom, she knew her life would never be the same. Now she has a powerful amulet, a team of rogue angels by her side, and the ability to flash forward into the future to see the shape of destiny. And of course, now she’s finally with Josh--a perfect boyfriend who doesn’t even mind that she’s dead.

But being dead has its disadvantages, too. Madison feels
Amy "the book-bat"
This was a fun and entertaining series. I am glad I listened to it.
Jeannie Lopez
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took forever cause I had to get the first two. Great series. I love her humor in books.
Oliviaolivia
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great ending to this trilogy.
Danya
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
If you'd like to see my review of the first two in this series, go here. There may be some spoilers here for the previous novels if you have not yet read them.

One sentence sum-up: reapers and black wings and seraphs, oh my!

My reaction: I found this final book in the Madison Avery series to be quite entertaining for most of the way through. The intricate celestial system of seraphs, guardian angels, reapers and the like has really been solidified by this point, and I appreciated the amount of tho
Shelley
Rating: 3.0
Genre: YA Paranormal

**Review**

Something Deadly This Way Comes is the finale of the Madison Avery series which is a YA paranormal series. When 17 year old Madison was killed by Kiaros on the night of her prom, she was given a choice; take the job as dark timekeeper or die. She decided to take the job and now is the dark timekeeper. She finds herself caught between the light and the dark and has heaven watching her every movement.

Madison is technically dead and finds that she must choos
Lesedelfin
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kim Harrison beweist wieder einmal enorm großen Humor, gepaart mit dem Talent Himmel und Hölle durcheinander zu bringen, so dass man als Leser nicht mehr weiß was nun besser ist: Dunkel oder Licht?
In ihrem dritten Madison Avery Roman "Böse Mädchen sterben nicht" hat ihre gleichnamige Hauptprotagonistin nicht mehr viel zu lachen - zumindest auf den ersten Blick.

Madison Avery und ihre beiden Todesengel Barnabas und Nakita sind wieder auf einer Mission. Während Madison den Seraphim versuchen will d
Candace Wynell McHann
Oh Kim Harrison. I love your books so much.

There. That said…

Something Deadly This Way Comes is the third installment of the Madison Avery series. Madison is indeed sassy and smart, like most young adult heroine are, but she is also slightly reckless, a wee bit headstrong, and more than slightly determined to prove that given a chance and choice, a soul bound for fallen from grace can be saved, sparing the life and the soul.

In this edition, Harrison thrusts Madison further than the previous book
Karen Keyte
When Madison Avery died six months ago - on the night of her junior prom, no less - she couldn't have imagined where her life was headed. Because she's dead, but she's not gone. Madison's destiny was to become the dark timekeeper, the person in charge of the reaping angels who enforce fate, at least fate as the seraphim see it. And she's not disqualified from the position just because her predecessor killed her and hid her preserved body somewhere in a bubble of time.

Given the illusion of a body
Bree
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, angels, paranormal
Ok, so.
Basically I read the first book in this series a while back and I surprisingly really enjoyed it. Then I read the second one and I was like alright this is pretty damn intriguing and since it's a trilogy, I was like *shrugs* may as well finish this baby.
So.
I did.
And I gotta say, the negatives in this book, unfortunately, outweighed the positives.
I mean, sure the story was interesting but I just felt that the whole book itself could literally of been written 1/4 of what it was - the sto
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Kim Harrison's Something Deadly this Way Comes completes her Madison Avery trilogy and I was able to get it finished in day! It was a pretty fast read too! Kim has always been one of my fave authors, ever since I started reading adult UF and her YA UF series has been just as fun!

Madison is the dark timekeeper and her life has been difficult ever since she died on her prom night, ahh high school. She has had a tough ride ever since trying to act like she's a normal living girl and hiding her secr
Heather
Maybe it's been too long since I read the first ones or maybe I'm too old for this YA book... but I found this one rather boring.
P.E.
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Something Deadly This Way Comes was another addition to the fabulous Madison Avery series by Kim Harrison. It was probably my favorite of them all.

Upon starting the novel, I was a bit nervous because I didn't remember everything from the previous novels. I was worried I wouldn't understand what's happening but I shouldn't have worried since everything important came back to me. The book also had Madison explain or reference what had happened before a bit to refresh my memory.

I love Kim Harrison
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This is the first book I've read in the Madison Avery series and I have to say I've been missing out. Kim Harrison introduces a strong, relatable female heroine who's determined to change ancient law in an endless, epic battle between both light and dark angels who stake their claim on human souls. Not only is there a great mythology, but this book is surprisingly entertaining and engaging with it's cast of fabulous characters with extraordinary paranormal gifts, the plot twists, and it's realis ...more
Raina
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Something Deadly This Way Comes, the third installment of the Madison Avery series, only gets better and better as the storyline continues to unfold. Madison is sassy and smart, but also slightly reckless, headstrong, and VERY determined to prove that given a chance and choice, a soul bound, falling rom grace can be saved, sparing both the life and the soul. It is quite difficult not to love her!

In Something Deadly This Way Comes Madison discovers more of her powers as the Dark Timekeeper, such
Chandni
I absolutely love Kim Harrison’s Rachel Morgan series, but I don’t think she has the knack for being a young adult writer. I don’t think it’s really her fault, she just doesn’t know how to write a teenage character. How many teenagers say “Puppy presents” instead of just swearing? For a girl that’s supposed to have broken a ton of rules and be a wild child, her language sure is mild. But I digress.

In this novel, (third and final in the series), Madison is still trying to save souls instead of be
SPF9: Sun-Proof F...: SOMETHING DEADLY THIS WAY COMES by Kim Harrison 1 11 Jun 12, 2012 03:09PM
  • Lemniscate (Angel Star, #2)
  • Sacrifice (Mortal Path, #2)
  • Forgotten Truth (Truth, #3)
  • Nocturne (Claire de Lune, #2)
  • The Siren's Cry (The Otherworldlies #2)
  • Original Sin (Personal Demons, #2)
  • Dead Rules
  • Jamb  (Cornerstone, #3)
  • Haunted (Anna Strong Chronicles, #8)
  • The Eternal Tomb (Oliver Nocturne, #5)
  • The Neon Graveyard (Signs of the Zodiac, #6)
  • My Soul to Steal (Soul Screamers, #4)
  • Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
  • Rage (Riders of the Apocalypse, #2)
  • Always a Witch (Witch, #2)
  • Cold Streets (Vampire Files, #10)
  • Unseen (Outcast Season, #3)
  • Prom Nights from Hell
Kim Harrison, author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, was born in Detroit and lived most her her life within an easy drive. She's currently working on a variety of projects to see what finds a home first, and when not at her desk, is most likely to be found landscaping her new/old Victorian home, or in the garden.
Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook https://www.facebook
More about Kim Harrison...

Madison Avery (3 books)
  • Once Dead, Twice Shy (Madison Avery, #1)
  • Early to Death, Early to Rise (Madison Avery, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • I Was Here
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Endings are not always bad. Most times they're just beginnings in disguise.” 122 likes
“Even a superhero needs a place to be normal.” 9 likes