Start by marking “Spells & Stitches (Sugar Maple, #4)” as Want to Read:
Spells & Stitches (Sugar Maple, #4)

Spells & Stitches

(Sugar Maple #4)

In the latest novel from the USA Today bestselling author, raising a baby is hard, but raising one with magical powers is even harder...

Sugar Maple, Vermont, knitting store owner Chloe Hobbs couldn't be happier about her pregnancy. But with the arrival of the town's newest resident, things are about to get a lot more magical.

Baby Laria is six pounds, eleven ounces of

Published December 6th 2011 by Berkley (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Spells & Stitches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spells & Stitches

Sharon Redfern
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
This is the fourth book in the Sugar Maple series and it keeps getting better with each one. The premise of the series is that the town of Sugar Maple is populated with magical creatures of all kinds who have transplanted their village to Vermont after the Salem Witchcraft trials. Chloe Hobbs is half human and pregnant by her human lover, Luke, a policeman who has moved to the town. She is the last in a line of Hobbs women who are the key to keeping Sugar Maple safe.
I love the varied people who
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the 4th book in the series and I am staunchly in love with the characters, plots, and now a beautiful new baby. I can see so many more avenues this story might explore. I sincerely hope the series is just beginning.

Soceress Chloe Hobbs, and Chief of Police, Luke MacKenzie are having a baby. She will be 3/4ths human and one fourth Soceress. Who cares? The baby is beautiful. Alas, to our lovely joint families, someone does care about baby Laria. The person is not easily detected and suspic
❂ Jennifer
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal
I really enjoyed the first three books in this series but this one left me feeling "meh". 80% of the story was completely centred on the wonderfulness of having a baby, motherhood and the bond, etc. etc. as well as Chloe forging a relationship with Luke's extended family. Very little time is spent on the plot itself and significant events that happen are never explained. The last 20% of the story has the entire plot squeezed into it and ends with very little angst or drama. I'm not saying I disl ...more
Sapphyria
Spells & Stitches is the fourth book in the Sugar Maple series and it’s just as great as the previous books. Chloe is pregnant and due anytime when she’s surprised in the knit shop she owns by Luke’s mother. Chloe’s not the only one who is surprised though. Luke had not yet told his family that they were expecting. Now that the cat is out of the bag, things in the quiet, magical creature filled town are about to go haywire. Between Chloe’s pregnancy and stress upon meeting Luke’s family for ...more
Alaine
May 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
This series should have ended earlier.
Kimberly
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Blue Ribbon Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Original Review Link

For Chloe Hobbs, life couldn’t get any better. She’s in love with the gorgeous Luke MacKenzie, her knitting shop, Sticks & Strings, is thriving, and her magical hometown of Sugar Maple is doing well after narrowly missing a disaster a few months back. Best of all, Chloe and Luke are expecting a new addition to their family. But being a pregnant sorceress isn’t easy. Chloe’s little sorceress-to-be is making her powers go haywire and on top o
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved loved, loved! This is book 4 in the Sugar Maple series. I have been waiting a whole year to read this book! This is the book I was most excited to read during my "Witchy month of May" that and the 3rd Hex Hall book!
As were the first 3 books, this book was fantastic! It was fun, quirky, exciting and full of adventure! This is one of my favorite series ever and I hope Barbara Bretton continues to write in this style.

If I seem excited about this series - I am! I can not recomme
C.
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This fourth Barbara Bretton novel about societal misfits, differs from the others. It focuses on ‘Luke’s' family, especially a rebellious sister similar to him. It spotlights ‘Chloe’s’ pregnancy and her jubilant advancement into motherhood, over and above her family line’s important to their town. Gone is any form of antagonism or disagreement with other citizens but gone too are the large-scale, life or death, ethereal battles in grand fantasy style. I had to frankly proceed and see along the w ...more
Tina
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sugar Maple, Vermont, is a small New England town where magical secrets and crazy yarnaholics abound. Chloe Hobbs, pregnant and the owner of Sticks and Strings Yarn Store, manages to keep Sugar Maple’s secrets from being discovered by others. Luke and Chloe have a beautiful baby girl named Laria, who becomes very ill. No magic can help her; will Luke and Chloe lose the most powerful and precious member of Sugar Maple?

Spells and Stitches is the fourth book in the Sugar Maple series by Barbara Bre
Susan
Good book. I liked seeing Luke, Chloe and the gang again. It started out with Luke's family finding out about Chloe and the baby. He had been planning to wait until after she was born to tell them, because they are loud and interfering. Once they did, Chloe wanted to get together with them because they are family and she feels that family is important. She has found, over her pregnancy, that her magic has been even more unreliable. She also has Elspeth hanging around to protect her and the baby, ...more
Lynn
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The last in the series, this book was a bit of disappointment.

The story opens with Sugar Maple being restored and it appears that everyone is at peace and settled back into their magick community. Chloe is in the final weeks of her pregnancy. Her very human boyfriend, Luke, has managed to keep his relationship (and Chloe's pregnancy) a secret from his family until that is, they converge on the small town.

On a trip to meet the rest of Luke's very large, nosy and loud family, Chloe goes into labor
Lizfm
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
My main problems with the book...

The author tries *way to hard* with the knitting references, especially at the beginning of the book. I'm a 'serious' knitter and I don't know anyone who can't go a paragraph without referencing this/that/the other yarn/designer/pattern. Rather than making the main character seem authentic, it just didn't ring true.

The main character's relationship with her in-laws (or the people who would be her in-laws if she would just get married like they want her to). She's
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
New mothers are often overwhelmed with emotion, but Chloe gives the term “basket case” a whole new meaning. She is so fraught with fear and tears, I was exhausted for her. Luke seems as if he fits the role of father easily, and I completely understand his need to keep his troublesome and intrusive family at bay. The humorous dialogue and quirky characters in this story are well worth the read, and I am sure the rest of this series is just as enjoyable.

Lototy
Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance &am
Cris
Feb 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
I have no idea how I ended up reading this book since I swore I would read no more after finishing the previous book in this series. Well I mean it now. This book was awful.

The description/summary on the back is misleading at best. (It kinda, sorta, describes about 5-10 pages at the end of the book. Maybe.) There's no character development. The plot wanders and drags agonizingly slow. I skimmed most of the book and have seldom been as happy to see the end of a story.
Patricia Solla
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
In this continuing story we now have the town of Sugar Maple anxiously awaiting the arrival of Chole and Luke's baby. Luke's quite human family is coming in full force to the town of supernatural people - should be interesting. There's a mystery character and some interesting hormonal antics as Chole's powers are affected by her pregnancy. The end of the book leaves the reader wondering where this story will go now (or is this the end?).
Sue
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Love the setting in Vermont with the knitting shop and witches. Nice storyline and have read all in this series so far.
Alison
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Already looking forward to the next book in this series. Curious to see what happens as the baby keeps growing.
Colleen Criswell
When is the next one due out?

Though, not my favorite in the Sugar Maple series, still a fun read and some great patterns in the back!
Jody
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Finished in one day! I love this series!
Katherine
I love this series! Can't wait for the next installment. I hope it doesn't take a whole year.
Denise Belt
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chloe and Luke only have a few weeks before welcoming their daughter into the world and hoped to avoid the MacKenzie clan until then, but what you want isn’t always what you get. Chloe is super nervous about meeting his big family, especially since they are human, and her hormones are wreaking havoc on her magick. When the baby decides to make an early arrival, someone is set on changing Laria’s life forever.

Getting to meet some of Luke’s family was something that the series needed which brough
Darlene
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chloe and Luke and all of Sugar Maple are awaiting the arrival of their baby. But oops Lukes family finally catches on that theres to be a new addition to the McKenzie brood and they all descend on Luke and Chloe like a mob! Just when things are going smooth Laria decides to make an early entrance and all havoc breaks loose!! Between trying to be a new Mom and keeping Lukes family from finding out the truth about Sugar Maple, whats a witch to do. Loved this book and not sure if more to come but ...more
DAISY DISNEY
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery, witches
This was a cozy story. I loved the concept behind the town of Maple Sugar and its residents. The book does make references to things that might have happened in previous books but it explains enough so that the reader doesn’t feel lost.

I thought Luke’s family was normal and humorous. Especially his mom Bunny. A book about their nosy ways could be written as a stand alone. ☺
Brittany
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a nice conclusion to the series. Much more light hearted than the first 3 previous books. Very good series if you like paranormal and romance with a dash of mystery and a lot of magick thrown in.
Chris
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wish publishers would clearly indicate on the cover if a book is part of a series. I picked up this new to me author and would not have started with book 4. As it was, I was lost through the entire book and didn’t find it an enjoyable read.
Debbie
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book seemed like a short story more than a book. Though I laughed in some parts it seemed like a story that was interjected to move the overall plot and characters along to the next book. Not her best.
Valerie
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Will be sorry when the series ends. Chloe and Luke lead a very interesting life
JazzRizz
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2018
I love visiting Sugar Maple. I enjoyed this one, but the action and suspense took a back seat to Chloe's musings about the baby and fitting in with Luke's family.

Gayle Pace
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
SPELLS AND STITCHES
(Sugar Maple, Book 4)

Novel by BARBARA BRETTON

A BABY PLUS MAGIC EQUALS A BUNDLE OF TROUBLE

This is the fourth book in the Sugar Maple series. Every book seems to be better. The small town of Sugar maple is full of magical creatures with one full human. These magical creatures moved their village to Vermont after the Salem Witch trials. Chloe Hobbs is half human and pregnant. Luke, a policeman, is full human.Chloe is the last of the Hobbs women who can keep Sugar Maple safe.

DO
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I struggled to find the main goal and plot of this book. It was a great addition to the already laid out story of Chloe and Luke, but I was lost on what the main point was. Nothing definitive happened until later in the book.
I still enjoyed it and found it very interesting.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Cloaked in Malice (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #5)
  • Honeymooning (Cypress Hollow Yarn #1.5)
  • Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3)
  • Trouble in the Tarot (A Fortune Teller Mystery #3)
  • A Stitch Before Dying (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #3)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #3)
  • The Sweetgum Ladies Knit for Love (Sweetgum Knit #2)
  • In Charm's Way (A Bewitching Mystery, #8)
  • Died in the Wool (Knitting Mysteries, #1)
  • Toe-Up Socks for Every Body: Adventurous Lace, Cables, and Colorwork from Wendy Knits
  • In a Witch's Wardrobe (A Witchcraft Mystery, #4)
  • A Wild Ghost Chase (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #3.5)
  • A Fatal Fleece (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #6)
Barbara Bretton is the USA Today bestselling, award-winning author of more than 40 books. She currently has over ten million copies in print around the world. Her works have been translated into twelve languages in over twenty countries.

Barbara has been featured in articles in The New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Romantic Times, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Herald News, Home News, Somer

Sugar Maple (6 books)
  • Casting Spells (Sugar Maple, #1)
  • Laced with Magic (Sugar Maple, #2)
  • Spun By Sorcery (Sugar Maple, #3)
  • Enchanted: The Wedding Story (The Sugar Maple Chronicles - Book 5)
  • Entangled: The Homecoming