Start by marking “Circus Shapes: Recognizing Shapes” as Want to Read:
Circus Shapes: Recognizing Shapes

Circus Shapes: Recognizing Shapes

(MathStart Level 1)

Shapes under the big top?Circles, squares, rectangles and triangles -- every one of these shapes is introduced by a favorite cast of circus animals in this fast-paced story. Young readers will delight in discovering recognizable shapes hidden in every spread.
Published December 18th 1997 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Circus Shapes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circus Shapes

Start your review of Circus Shapes: Recognizing Shapes
Nicola
Aug 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Shapes are worked into a simple circus story. This Level 1 MathStart book was too simple for Miss 6 but we wish our library had the Level 3 books!

Miss 6 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
This was a fun book, and I think would work well for a one-on-one read best. I was hoping this would be a fun book for a storytime on shapes, but I think if would take too much explaining that the animals were making the shapes as part of the act. But still a fun book with simple text to review shapes.
Adrianna Laskowski
Katie Fitzgerald
I borrowed this book for my daughter because she was asking questions about what happens at a circus. It's not an especially exciting book - the rhymes are predictable, and most of the text is written in service to a lesson in identifying basic shapes - but I have already been asked to read it twice, so it must be satisfying my daughter's curiosity well enough. When it comes to books by this author, however, I prefer Monster Musical Chairs and Every Buddy Counts. ...more
Christina Edwards
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a fun and practical way to introduce students to recognizing shapes. Students will be able to identify the shapes in this book because of the simple, linear illustrations. The book has very little text which also reinforces how student will be able to look through the book and recognize the different shapes such as circles, squares, triangles, and cylinders. I love the way this book uses an activity that kids love such as going to the circus to teach about shapes. I think this book ...more
Jayetta Carter-mcfarlin
Good book to teach onset and rimes. The pictures, shapes, and text will be an exciting adventure for Pre-K through grades 1 as they learn about geometric shapes. The back of the book also suggests different activities (including art) to engage children as they learn about circles, triangles, squares, and rectangles. They help form connections to how these shapes are around them in their lives everyday.
Hatka Kecalovic
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece-3601, math, animals
The book Circus Shapes by Stuart J. Murphy serves as a good resource for lessons on shapes. The book uses simple descriptions of shapes. The book discusses a variety of animals found in a circus environment. The book shows students that mathematics is prevelent everywhere within the real world. This book can be used in Pre-K to 2 grade classrooms.
Linh Tong
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shapes, math, kindergarten
I will read this book when I'm introducing shapes to students. I will then let them retell the story using words such as circle, triangle, square, and rectangle. We will then go around our school to take pictures of objects that show these shapes. We will use the pictures to create our own book about shapes.
Christina Camp
Oct 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
This book is about going to the circus and seeing all of the shapes that are there. This book also rhymes and is fairly short so students would easily be able to read it. The book tells about what parts of the circus represent specific shapes and then has the shapes drawn on the page as well.
Denesha Allen
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
I would use this book with younger kids to teach them the different shapes an show to identify them. After reading the book the kids could look around the room to identify shapes that they learned about in the book.
Kathryn Joyce
Feb 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
Shows ordinary shapes in objects. Would be nice to use in the beginning-mid kindergarten. Could expand it further by possibly going to a circus and having an activity of them finding the shapes. Allows students to make a text to world connection.
Bethe
Nice little book, as much about shapes as it is about circus acts, rhyming text, activities for parents and children in the back.
Samantha
Rhyming text describes the features of the circus and highlight basic shapes. Extension activities follow the story. PreK-2.
April
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storyhour-books
My two-year-old storyhour kids really liked this circus book that also introduced four basic shapes to the kids.
Jazelle Washington
It's about all of the different shapes you would see at the circus. The horses make a triange, and the cages are rectangles. You will find circles and squares at the circus, too.
Abi
Jan 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math, shapes, ece-3601
This book teaches children about shapes in a fun way. It's shows circus performers making different shapes out of their bodies and allows children to guess the shapes they are making.
Eugene Magee
Enjoyed reading this book. Can use this book to help when teaching early learners about geometric shapes.
Janae
Maureen
rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2012
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book to show kids math is everywhere, even places as fun as the circus!
Patricia S. Ravenhorst
Jen
Aug 04, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »

• Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
  • Next to an Ant (Rookie Readers: Level A)
  • 12 Ways to Get to 11
  • Quack and Count
  • Ten, Nine, Eight
  • The Very Impatient Caterpillar
  • The Book Hog
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Hey, Water!
  • Feast for 10
  • Tomorrow Most Likely
  • Llama Destroys the World
  • I Want My Hat Back
  • We are in a Book! (Elephant & Piggie, #13)
  • Shape Capers
  • Up, Down, and Around
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to really enjoy

MathStart Level 1 (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Beep Beep, Vroom Vroom!
  • The Best Bug Parade
  • Bug Dance
  • Double the Ducks
  • Every Buddy Counts
  • The Greatest Gymnast of All
  • Henry the Fourth
  • A House for Birdie (MathStart Level 1)
  • It's About Time!