Start by marking “The Day I Had to Play With My Sister” as Want to Read:
The Day I Had to Play With My Sister

The Day I Had to Play With My Sister

3.08  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews

Older brother thinks he knows the rules to hide-and-seek. But little sister has her own idea of how to play. And the resulting confusion, compounded by a lively dog, is hilarious. Now available for the first time in full-color and reformatted as a My First I Can Read Book, Crosby Bonsall's appealing story and simple text will delight emergent readers.
Audio, 0 pages
Published July 1st 2008 by HarperCollins (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Day I Had to Play With My Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day I Had to Play With My Sister

Beyond the Pages
This book had such a rude ending. It certainly wasn't a message that I wanted my kids to walk away with.
Rosa Cline
A level 1 reader with simple words per page; a big brother tries to teach his little sister to play hide and seek. Cute beginning reader book.
Owen Bishop
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, mystery
The older brother wants to play dide and seek but the little sister doesn't know how.
S. Wood
This book was easy to read with not too many challenging words (ready, know, doghouse) for beginning readers. It is rated as a Guided Reading Level G book. The story was not well-developed or particularly interesting and the ending was really abrupt and disappointing.

It still gets three stars because it was the first book that my six-year-old daughter read with chapters. She was beaming with pride about having read a chapter book. Throughout the day as we talked with people, she would whisper i
Dolly
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with their children
This book is probably best for beginning readers reading to themselves. It doesn't lend itself so good to reading aloud. It's not always clear what's going on and the brother's frustration isn't constructive. It might be a good reflection of some older brother/younger sister relationships, but the story doesn't really have a plot or moral to it. Just an okay story.
Consuelo
The Day I Had to Play With My Sister" by Crosby Bonsall, is a story about a brother and sister playing hide and seek. However, the little sister does not know how to play. In the meantime, the brother gets very frustrated because she will not play. He give up and walks away. Level 0.5
Christine Gaskins
My six year old picked it out at school.

This book is good for an easy reader for your child but has no story line. Siblings play a couple games of hide and seek. The book ends with the line, " I don't want to play with you anymore".
Karen
May 20, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the worst children's book I have ever read. It's confusing and ultimately has a terrible and cruel message. I was literally speechless when I got to the end and refused to read it out loud. It's a library book but I am sorely tempted to destroy it and buy them something better.
Edward Creter
A hide and seek game that feels negative in the end, even with the Bomsall humor. Treat with kid gloves.
babyhippoface
Beginning readers do not have to be boring. Crosby Bonsall is proof.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Although Crosby Newell Bonsall studied at New York University School of Architecture and the American School of Design, she is most known for her children's books. Some were published under the name Crosby Newell.

Her career as a children's author started as a doodle on her drawing board. Later, a doll manufacturer purchased the rights to her orange-haired, freckle-faced rag doll who later became
More about Crosby Bonsall...