Start by marking “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #1)” as Want to Read:

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1 (美少女戦士セーラームーン 新装版 / Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon Shinsōban #1)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  22,610 Ratings  ·  738 Reviews
Usagi Tsukino is a normal girl until she meets up with Luna, a talking cat, who tells her that she is Sailor Moon. As Sailor Moon, Usagi must fight evils and enforce justice, in the name of the Moon and the mysterious Moon Princess. She meets other girls destined to be Sailor Senshi (Sailor Scouts), and together, they fight the forces of evil!

This new edition of Sailor Mo
Published September 13th 2011 by Kodansha International (first published December 28th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1, please sign up.

m i d n i g h t . d r e a m e r LOVE IT! I read these in high school and watched the tv show when i was younger. To this day this series is still one of my all time faves

Jillian -always aspiring-
I don't know if anyone who didn't grow up with Sailor Moon (through their childhood or teen years) can ever really understand the allure of this series, its characters, and its story or feel an impact from all of it. Most of the people I know who are fans fell in love with the series first through the anime (which aired in Japan from 1992-1997 and then very haphazardly in the United States from 1995-2000) and then later discovered the original manga series once the internet came into their homes ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
So much nostalgia omg <3
Macarena Yannelli
¡REVIVIR MI INFANCIA!
Todo este manga no solo cuenta una historia poderosa sobre amistad y amor sino que además es fuente de girl power y no hay con que darle, es increible.
La nostalgia es un gran factor para mi por lo que no estaría siendo muy objetiva, pero a quien le importa. ¡Amo Sailor Moon!
Mel
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
First book of the booktubeathon extended edition is complete!!

I loved the anime as a kid (though I remember nothing of it) so this is nice to be reading! Thank you Ashlynn for getting me this!!

I had one major issue and it's the artwork. I find it a huge mess. Too much on a page. I like simple, this is overdone and there's just too much going on. But I can ignore it and enjoy the story and dang I wish I had more of the volumes!!
Meli
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, mangas
Vamos para 22 años de obsesión, sin miras a que esto cambie jamás ❤
El principio de la historia siempre me pareció lo más floji, así que me reservo las 5 estrellas para los demás tomos
Ariel
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WELL, THIS WAS GREAT! When I was a wee little child, Sailor Moon was my absolute favourite show of ever, I never missed an episode! But I recently realized - Sailor Moon is a book to tv adaptations.. And don't I believe in reading the book as well as watching the adaptation?! So I wonderfully got it for Christmas and loved it!
This was a perfect transition for me, into the manga/anime/graphic novel genre because it's a story that I already love with characters that I adore!
Basically, I loved thi
Raeleen Lemay
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicomanga

.... Tuxedo Mask is hot.
Marce♡
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este manga ha sido para mí dos primeras veces:

1. El primer manga que leí (aunque haya sido online)
2. Primer manga leído en su formato en papel.

Por lo que esto es técnicamente un reread aunque la primera vez haya leído los tomos antiguos.

En la época de los 90 apenas yo era una niña cuando este anime empezó a salir. Ahora que soy mayor es bonito mirar hacia atrás y recordar los tiempos en que me creía Sailor Moon (sí, me creía Sailor Moon) y jugaba con mis amigas a que éramos justicieras.

Siento q
Shannon
Apr 04, 2011 marked it as to-read
This makes me so happy.

Mandy
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
BUT I WANT MORE. THE OBSESSION FROM MY CHILDHOOD HAS BEGUN AGAIN.
Jessica-Robyn
First, before you do anything else, go and listen to this.

Good, now we can begin all proper and such.

I feel like this should be a review in two parts. The nostalgia from my early childhood and the reality of the volume itself.

Part ONE:

Back in the days long, long before I knew what anime or manga were, I was but a baby. A baby that really liked watching cartoons. Sailor Moon was a show that I would catch on TV every so often, during the days before I had to attend kindergarten. Sailor Moon wa
Sesana
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This where it all started for me. My interest in manga (and, by extension, western comics) really started watching Sailor Moon early on weekday mornings, getting ready to go to high school. Ah, memories. And yes, Sailor Moon really does hold up to my memories of a fun, romantic, and beautifully drawn manga.

Sailor Moon herself is probably a character you either love or hate. She's flawed, and yet she's given this power that she really doesn't know what to do with. Let's be honest, Usagi is a bit
Roya
Feb 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awful, didn-t-finish, dull
DNF at p.119

I really wanted to like this, but this was awful. I'm sure a lot of people really like this sort of thing, but it's not for me. FMA was so much better than this.

Usagi drove me nuts. She's so immature and vacuous. She introduces herself at the beginning of every act. WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

At the the point where I would have given it 3/5 stars, I was considering reading the second one to see if there's an improvement, but now?

After a certain point, I didn't have a clue what was going on.
Simona
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, manga, my-manga
Rating: 5+/5 || Recenzia pe Secretele Cărților

"...Ah...
The feeling.
It feels a bit nostalgic...
Like I've felt it...somewhere before...
So soft...and warm...I've felt it...many times before...those sweet lips..." (p.160-161)

Încă de când eram mică am fost o fană a anime-urilor, dar pe vremea aceea nu cunoșteam acest termen atribuit desenelor japoneze. Țin minte când se difuza Sailor Moon la televizor, și urmăream toate episoadele cu mare drag, ca mai apoi să discut cu gașca de joacă despre gardi
Sean O'Hara
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-lit, manga, mahou-shoujo
Most of you probably remember Sailor Moon as a rather silly cartoon series from the mid-90s. And you're probably looking at me wondering, "Why is he reading a stupid kid's comic?" What you have to understand, though, is that what aired in the US was a bowdlerized dub of a series that was itself heavily watered down from its source material. Among the more notable offenses, the American dub handwaved away all the deaths in the series, turned one gay male character into a straight woman, turned a ...more
j
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fine and fun and all but. So... does it get better or
Carla Dente
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gustó mucho (más que el Anime, al que nunca me enganché, seguro jaja).
¡Espero que los siguientes sean aún mejores!♥ (sobre todo cuando terminen de presentar a todas las Sailors)
Lina
Favorite moment in the volume one manga:

I really enjoyed re-reading volume one of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon and I was able to appreciate it even more as it has been almost six years since I've last read the content in the manga. Sailor Moon Vol. 1 tells the beginning of Usagi's journey as she is told be a cat named Luna that she is destined to protect the Moon Princess and the Earth from the Dark Kingdom. She is joined on this journey by Sailor Mercury, Mars and Jupiter, who are all discover
Courtney
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute. I remember loving the TV show when I was a kid, and I liked this volume quite a bit as well.

The art work is nice, though there are a few drawings that look a bit odd due to awkward proportions on characters. It's still loads better than I'd ever be able to do, though.

The story is interesting, and it's doesn't seem dated - I can see it still being popular today. The characters personalities are believable, and mostly likeable (Usagi is a crybaby, which I can see people finding annoying).
Sabrina Kammer
Ich denke, Sailor Moon ist fast jedem ein Begriff - die junge Usagi trifft eines Tages auf die sprechende Katze Luna, die ihr offenbart, dass sie eine Kriegerin des Mondes ist. Und so nimmt ihr Schicksal ihren Lauf.

Mir hat es riesigen Spass gemacht, wieder in die Geschichte von Usagi und ihren Gefährtinnen einzutauchen und die Zeichnungen sind einfach toll. Ich konnte den Manga kaum zur Seite legen, als ich einmal in der Geschichte war. Kindheitserinnerungen sind auf jeden Fall wieder hochgekomm
Niyura
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Oix! Que sensación el leer el anime de mi infancia. No es un manga sensacional, pero me trae buenos recuerdos.
Isa
Sailor Moon *__*
Einfach toll, mal wieder in die Welt einzutauchen. Ich habe die Serie als Kind geliebt und hatte alles mögliche von den Zeitschriften zu Hörkassetten bis hin zum Kostüm mit Mondstab :D
Freue mich schon jetzt auf die nächsten Bände :-)
Apatricia
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sailor Moon é sem duvida dos meus animes prediletos, por isso já à muito que queria pegar no manga e foi simplesmente sensacional, muito fiel ao anime crystal!!!!
Adorei
Bookishrealm
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This manga brought back so many memories! I was so happy to read it and step back into the world of Sailor Moon. If you haven't read this manga I would definitely recommend checking it out. I'm not sure what the difference is between the original manga and this one, but I do know that I definitely enjoyed reading it! I'll be watching the anime and reading the manga for the rest of the year.
lila
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
2 stars.

I was really excited to read this, mostly because Sailor Moon has such a huge fanbase, and basically all my life I've heard nothing but glowing reviews. I tried the anime back when I was about 8 or 9, but that was before I really understood how anime work and I stopped watching after 5 or so episodes.

I also want to preface this review by saying that if anything, I was excited to be reading something that was made for an age group much younger than my own. I ADORE cartoons, picture books,
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Pros: This series in general has incredible realistic depictions of women and that in and of itself is a reason to read it. This volume had a handful of very emotionally-stirring and intense panels that I continue to think about even after finishing it. I think it surpasses just being a nostalgic read.

Cons: None?

(In my video review I answer the questions "does it represent/portray well?", "did it make me think?" "does it perpetuate healthy ideals", "how was the writing?", "did I enjoy reading it
Ryan Wilkey
At this point, who doesn't know about Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon?

I remember sneaking around and watching Sailor Moon--the anime--as a child, fearing what my family would think because I wasn't out-of-the-closet and anyone who did watch Sailor Moon was either female or gay. In today's society it's not as taboo as it once was, which I'm thankful for.

Anyways, I've always loved Sailor Moon because of its romance and powerful kick-ass female characters. Also, I'm endlessly looking for my own King En
Steffie Buechersammlerin
Hach das war schön! Hat mich richtig in meine Jugend versetzt!!!! Wirklich toll gemacht und Band 2 wird sicher auch gekauft!!!
Kaylee
I have been a fan of Sailor Moon for as long as I can remember. I started watching it when I was 5 and had no idea that there were mangas! I am so happy I am reading them now finally since I am totally obsessed with the series! I would totally give the first book 5 stars however I had some issues with it...therefore I have to painfully give it 4 stars and here's why:

First of all I have to say I wish it was all in colour! I would pay good money to have the books in full colour but I haven't docke
❝Caisee❞
I grew up watching Sailor Moon and I'm re-watching the anime with my friend. But reading the manga gave me nostalgia something fierce!!! And the illustrations were just so pretty!!!
Sailor Mars is my favourite~ I named my Cat after her, you know!
Goodreads Librari...: Inconsistency between title series 1 12 Jun 06, 2017 04:15AM
Shoujo Manga Book...: Sailor Moon Discussion 3 12 Mar 24, 2016 10:47PM
WHY??? 12 103 Nov 30, 2014 01:04PM
BDCHS Advanced Re...: Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon- Jacqueline Mendez 1 5 Oct 17, 2014 01:04AM
Romance: Too fast? 7 34 Apr 06, 2014 06:41PM
  • Cardcaptor Sakura, Omnibus 1
  • Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, Vol. 1
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena, Vol. 3: To Sprout
Naoko Takeuchi (武内 直子, Takeuchi Naoko) born March 15, 1967, a manga artist (mangaka), lives in Tokyo, Japan. Takeuchi's works have a wide following among anime/manga fans. She has become a well-known mangaka worldwide. Her most popular work, Sailor Moon, rose to become one of the most recognized manga/anime figures to date.

Takeuchi is married to Yoshihiro Togashi, the author of YuYu Hakusho series
More about Naoko Takeuchi...

美少女戦士セーラームーン 新装版 / Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon Shinsōban (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #2)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #3)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #4)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 5 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #5)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 6 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #6)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 7 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #7)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 8 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #8)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 9 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #9)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 10 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #10)
  • 美少女戦士セーラームーン新装版 11 [Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon Shinsōban 11]