Start by marking “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #1)” as Want to Read:

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1

(美少女戦士セーラームーン 新装版 / Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon Shinsōban #1)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  28,393 ratings  ·  1,051 reviews
Usagi Tsukino is a normal girl until she meets up with Luna, a talking cat, who tells her that she is Sailor Moon. As Sailor Moon, Usagi must fight evils and enforce justice, in the name of the Moon and the mysterious Moon Princess. She meets other girls destined to be Sailor Senshi (Sailor Scouts), and together, they fight the forces of evil!

This new edition of Sailor Mo
Published September 13th 2011 by Kodansha International (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1, please sign up.
ℛ a ℂ ℎ ℯ ℓ ♥️ LOVE IT! I read these in high school and watched the tv show when i was younger. To this day this series is still one of my all time faves

·  28,393 ratings  ·  1,051 reviews

Start your review of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #1)
Jillian -always aspiring-
I don't know if anyone who didn't grow up with Sailor Moon (through their childhood or teen years) can ever really understand the allure of this series, its characters, and its story or feel an impact from all of it. Most of the people I know who are fans fell in love with the series first through the anime (which aired in Japan from 1992-1997 and then very haphazardly in the United States from 1995-2000) and then later discovered the original manga series once the internet came into their homes ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
So much nostalgia omg <3 ...more
Ariel
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WELL, THIS WAS GREAT! When I was a wee little child, Sailor Moon was my absolute favourite show of ever, I never missed an episode! But I recently realized - Sailor Moon is a book to tv adaptations.. And don't I believe in reading the book as well as watching the adaptation?! So I wonderfully got it for Christmas and loved it!
This was a perfect transition for me, into the manga/anime/graphic novel genre because it's a story that I already love with characters that I adore!
Basically, I loved thi
Mel
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, read-in-2017
First book of the booktubeathon extended edition is complete!!

I loved the anime as a kid (though I remember nothing of it) so this is nice to be reading! Thank you Ashlynn for getting me this!!

I had one major issue and it's the artwork. I find it a huge mess. Too much on a page. I like simple, this is overdone and there's just too much going on. But I can ignore it and enjoy the story and dang I wish I had more of the volumes!!
Artemy
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Like a lot of people my age, I used to be a huge fan of the original Sailor Moon anime when I was a kid. It was a delightful mix of weird mythology, superheroics, romance and humour that at the time appealed to almost every kid in my social group over the age of four. So when the original manga was announced to get published in my country, I decided to give this nostalgic artefact a read to see how it holds up. Well, unsurprisingly, for a story originally published in Japan in the early 90's and ...more
Artemis
I'm just going to come right out and say it: 'Sailor Moon' is my one childhood obsession I've never outgrown. It was my first real introduction to the idea of girl power, and the anime that first got me into anime.

'Sailor Moon' is like 'Power Rangers'. One similarity is its nostalgic charm far exceeds its cheesiness. Anyone who grew up in the 90's like I did will understand the power those kinds of kid's shows had in starting many roads to geekdom. Its place in pop culture history among anime f
Mandy
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
BUT I WANT MORE. THE OBSESSION FROM MY CHILDHOOD HAS BEGUN AGAIN.
Sesana
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This where it all started for me. My interest in manga (and, by extension, western comics) really started watching Sailor Moon early on weekday mornings, getting ready to go to high school. Ah, memories. And yes, Sailor Moon really does hold up to my memories of a fun, romantic, and beautifully drawn manga.

Sailor Moon herself is probably a character you either love or hate. She's flawed, and yet she's given this power that she really doesn't know what to do with. Let's be honest, Usagi is a bit
Anya
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, manga, 2019-reads
Ugh I miss the TV show so much and now I’m thinking about re-watching it😂💕
Courtney
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute. I remember loving the TV show when I was a kid, and I liked this volume quite a bit as well.

The art work is nice, though there are a few drawings that look a bit odd due to awkward proportions on characters. It's still loads better than I'd ever be able to do, though.

The story is interesting, and it's doesn't seem dated - I can see it still being popular today. The characters personalities are believable, and mostly likeable (Usagi is a crybaby, which I can see people finding annoying).
Roya
Feb 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dull, awful, didn-t-finish
DNF at p.119

I really wanted to like this, but this was awful. I'm sure a lot of people really like this sort of thing, but it's not for me. FMA was so much better than this.

Usagi drove me nuts. She's so immature and vacuous. She introduces herself at the beginning of every act. WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

At the the point where I would have given it 3/5 stars, I was considering reading the second one to see if there's an improvement, but now?

After a certain point, I didn't have a clue what was going on.
Simona
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, manga, my-manga
Rating: 5+/5 || Recenzia pe Secretele Cărților

"...Ah...
The feeling.
It feels a bit nostalgic...
Like I've felt it...somewhere before...
So soft...and warm...I've felt it...many times before...those sweet lips..." (p.160-161)

Încă de când eram mică am fost o fană a anime-urilor, dar pe vremea aceea nu cunoșteam acest termen atribuit desenelor japoneze. Țin minte când se difuza Sailor Moon la televizor, și urmăream toate episoadele cu mare drag, ca mai apoi să discut cu gașca de joacă despre gar
Marianne Moresco
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Oh my goodness, how did I survive 25 years of my life with never ever reading this manga?? Never even watched the anime too.
Sailor Moon always fascinated me, the idea of a group of warrior girls and of strong female friendship always sounded super good to me, I'm glad I finally started it!
Jessica-Robyn
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-manhwa
First, before you do anything else, go and listen to this.

Good, now we can begin all proper and such.

I feel like this should be a review in two parts. The nostalgia from my early childhood and the reality of the volume itself.

Part ONE:

Back in the days long, long before I knew what anime or manga were, I was but a baby. A baby that really liked watching cartoons. Sailor Moon was a show that I would catch on TV every so often, during the days before I had to attend kindergarten. Sailor Moon
Sean O'Hara
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-lit, manga, mahou-shoujo
Most of you probably remember Sailor Moon as a rather silly cartoon series from the mid-90s. And you're probably looking at me wondering, "Why is he reading a stupid kid's comic?" What you have to understand, though, is that what aired in the US was a bowdlerized dub of a series that was itself heavily watered down from its source material. Among the more notable offenses, the American dub handwaved away all the deaths in the series, turned one gay male character into a straight woman, turned a ...more
Lauren
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've loved Sailor Moon for years, honestly since before I can even recall. I knew there were mangas out but I never got around to buying or borrowing them. But I'm glad that I finally did.

For some reason I think I always manage to block out the fact that Usagi is such a cry baby but reading through the manga and seeing some of those scenes, it all came back to me. I missed her and all these characters! I'm so excited to go through these and read them all now! My library has them all, so it'll ha
Julia Sapphire
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, 2020
royaevereads
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I watched this series as a kid and LOVED it but had no memory of the plot 😂 Read this in one sitting and adored it. I am hooked. Can’t wait to read the next volume to find out what the deal is with Sailor Venus (who was always my favourite)
Mehsi
The Pretty Guardian in a Sailor Suit! Guardian of Beauty and Justice! Sailor Moon! Time to re-read this delightful series.

I am a big fan of this series, watched most of the anime, read the manga and the side-stories. I thought it was high time for me to re-read the manga again. While I do remember most details I was still eager to see how it all started and see the girls, and then especially Usagi, grow up and get stronger, better, see their friendship build.

This one starts it all. We meet Usag
Lori C
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"The only way to banish darkness is with an even greater light".

Eight or twenty-eight, I still love it. You can't feel bad and read this. Just looking at her ridiculous hair makes me happy.
Lunabookaddict
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a re-read ! And that end tho. ♡!
Lauren
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga

This was SO much fun! Loved the artwork, the cast of characters were hilarious and ridiculously cute, and Luna was just everything.

Really glad to have started this manga - I have the rest of the series on my shelf too :)

Full RTC
unknown
This was fine and fun and all but. So... does it get better or
Read by Coco ✨
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Sailor Moon & I’m really excited to start collecting this series!

The graphics are really stunning. It was a real pleasure to read this, and I think my favourite parts were any part with Luna. She’s so cute.

One of my favourite parts of this book is the translation notes. I have the English version & I also have a passion for languages, so having the translation notes at the end that elaborated on the way the words are used differently in Japanese, or how the grammar works, or how certain
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

I love this 1st manga in the series.
The only reason I docked half a star was because EVERY chapter had a recap, and I eventually found it annoying.
Other than that, I loved how it filled my nostalgic self with memories from my childhood.
I look forwards to continuing on.
Bookishrealm
This manga brought back so many memories! I was so happy to read it and step back into the world of Sailor Moon. If you haven't read this manga I would definitely recommend checking it out. I'm not sure what the difference is between the original manga and this one, but I do know that I definitely enjoyed reading it! I'll be watching the anime and reading the manga for the rest of the year.
Clyo (Las Páginas de Alex)
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mangas, 2020-books
This is my childhood
Shany Larouche
If you take Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask out of the story and put Sailor Mercury or Sailor Mars has the main character, it would have been much better in my opinion. I couldn't stand Sailor Moon and her personality. The insta love was so ridiculous, I just couldn't deal with it.

Sorry to my friend who rave about this series all the time and convince me to read it (you know who you are), but I just can't. I definitely will not continue on with this series.
Jessica
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-reads
I plan on continuing with the series but there was a few things that I didn't like about this first volume.
WHY??? 13 113 Aug 30, 2019 03:46AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon vol. 1 [Mar 30, 2019] 4 12 Apr 21, 2019 06:31AM
Goodreads Librari...: Inconsistency between title series 1 14 Jun 06, 2017 04:15AM
Shoujo Manga Book...: Sailor Moon Discussion 3 14 Mar 24, 2016 10:47PM
BDCHS Advanced Re...: Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon- Jacqueline Mendez 1 5 Oct 17, 2014 01:04AM
Romance: Too fast? 7 37 Apr 06, 2014 06:41PM

• Cardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 1 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #1)
  • InuYasha: Turning Back Time (InuYasha, #1)
  • Maid-sama! Vol. 01 (Maid-sama!, #1)
  • Full Moon o Sagashite, Vol. 1
  • A Silent Voice, Vol. 1 (A Silent Voice, #1)
  • Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 1 (Kamisama Kiss, #1)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 (Ouran High School Host Club, #1)
  • High School Debut, Vol. 01 (High School Debut, #1)
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 01 (Soul Eater, #1)
  • Naruto, Vol. 01: Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto, #1)
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 01 (Fairy Tail, #1)
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1  (Blue Exorcist, #1)
  • My Hero Academia, Vol. 1 (My Hero Academia, #1)
  • Tokyo Mew Mew, Vol. 1 (Tokyo Mew Mew, #1)
  • 鬼滅の刃 1 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 1]
  • Tokyo Ghoul, Tome 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 1 (Vampire Knight, #1)
Naoko Takeuchi (武内 直子, Takeuchi Naoko) born March 15, 1967, a manga artist (mangaka), lives in Tokyo, Japan. Takeuchi's works have a wide following among anime/manga fans. She has become a well-known mangaka worldwide. Her most popular work, Sailor Moon, rose to become one of the most recognized manga/anime figures to date.

Takeuchi is married to Yoshihiro Togashi, the author of the YuYu Hakusho s

美少女戦士セーラームーン 新装版 / Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon Shinsōban (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #2)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #3)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #4)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 5 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #5)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 6 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #6)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 7 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #7)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 8 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #8)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 9 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #9)
  • Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 10 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #10)
  • 美少女戦士セーラームーン新装版 11 [Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon Shinsōban 11]