Start by marking “A Place Called Kindergarten” as Want to Read:
A Place Called Kindergarten

A Place Called Kindergarten

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Tommy has gone someplace called "kindergarten" and the animals are worried. What will happen to him there? Will he ever come back?

Winner of a NAPPA Gold Award (National Parenting Publications)

Published July 20th 2006 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about A Place Called Kindergarten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Place Called Kindergarten

Carly Gates
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is too cute. I would read this to a Pre-K class towards the second half of the year. I could stop in the middle of the book where all the animals ask what kindergarten is and what the little boy will do there. The children can then write down things they think they'll do in kindergarten. They can share their writings if they choose to, and then we could read on to see what the little boys says happened in kindergarten.
Erica
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
The genre picture book, and fiction. It is an award winner. It won NAPPA award which is chosen by parents. This book is too cute. I would read this to a Pre-K class towards the second half of the year. I could stop in the middle of the book where all the animals ask what kindergarten is and what the little boy will do there. The children can then write down things they think they'll do in kindergarten. They can share their writings if they choose to, and then we could read on to see what the lit ...more
Sierra
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I would personally say that this book is a bit deceiving when comparing it's title to the content and actual storyline. When looking at the cover I presumed that the book would include animals throughout the book, but by no means was I expecting the book to be all about farm animals wondering where their friend is all day. Nearly every page is filled with different animal sounds that get a little old saying over and over. Although towards the end the little boy does come back and the animals are ...more
Mercedes Case
Brief Review-
The genre I would place this book under is fiction and it is an award winner. It won the NAPPA award which is chosen by parents. The book title is misleading as it is more about animals than actual kindergarten but it still shows how kindergarten can be fun. The age range for this book is around ages 3-5. I feel as if the author would have added more about kindergarten it would have been more beneficial.

Content Area- The content are you could use this for is science. They way to use
Anna Frame
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction- I really like this book because its a very cute story and I think that students will view learning in a more positive and fun light after this. I think that they will be more positive about kindergarten because the main character is excited to go back to school the next day and continue learning.

Purposes:
Read aloud to Kindergarten students
-enjoyment and enrichment of the story itself. Tommy goes to kindergarten for the first time and comes home from school and tells his farm a
Ruhama
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Tommy usually is down at the barn bright and early every morning, but this time he hasn’t come. All the animals get worried, especially when the dog comes by and states he’s gone on a big yellow bus. They wait and worry all day, until Tommy finally comes and reports how his day went. This is a cute story with the animals having anxiety, rather than the child. Tommy’s enthusiasm is adorable, though what he learned in one day feels a little stilted... Harper does add some fun with telling readers ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, school
Amazing! This is by far the best kindergarten book out there. The other books are all the same, but this one is special. Why? First of all, the point of view is the barn animals. Second, Tommy is clearly excited about his first day of kindergarten and there is no mention of being scared or nervous. (This is huge because some of the kindergarten books out there focus on the anxiety and may cause children to worry more). Thirdly, the repetition and animal chatter/singing adds humor and rhythm to t ...more
Kiah Ballard
Jun 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought this book took an interesting approach to talking about Kindergarten. I wasn't expecting it to take on the perspective of farm animals. It only mentioned a few things that goes on in Kindergarten and exactly be a book that you read to a rising Prek student about what happens in Kindergarten. Instead I would use this book to talk about animals, animal sounds, and the things that farm animals like. We could also sing old Mcdonald had a farm after reading this book to reinforce animal sou ...more
Yesi
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book. It is a great book to read to children who are getting ready to go to kindergarten. I read it to both of my kids and can imagine reading it to a group of preschool children. The boy lives on a farm and is going to a place called kindergarten. The farm animals do not know what kindergarten is, so when the boy comes home he tells them all the things that he learned while at kindergarten.
Jasmine
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: peer-teacher
A place called Kindergarten is a great book that children would love. This is a great book to read to children on the fist day of kindergarten or for children who are preparing for kindergarten. Children can relate to this book on an emotional level because it brings out a fear that most children have about starting kindergarten. This book also teaches responsibility, taking care of a pet. The pictures are colorful and fun and the words a very descriptive.
Shawna Kopp
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This a great book for the first day of Kindergarten. I liked it because it was a neat way to introduce to the students what kindergarten will be like. It shows the excitement of learning as well through the imagination of animals talking and wanting to know all about kindergarten. Kids will love this book.
Audrey
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This title came home with my daughter's "raising a reader" program. It was a little late for her because she's a full quarter into kindergarten herself, but totally cute. Her favorite part was the dog coming to tell the farm animals that their boy went to "a place called kindergarten". My favorite part was when the boy came home and was so excited to tell his animal friends all about his day.
Amber Graves
Oct 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This would be a good book to read to students in the first week of school. It talks about the alphabet and farm animals. When Tommy doesn't come to the animals at his normal time they start to wonder where he is. The dog tells them he went to Kindergarten. They worry all the while until Tommy gets off the school bus and tells the animals all about Kinderten.
Kenia Soto
This book is great for children who will be transitioning from Pre-K to Kindergarten. It tells how a little boy who was used to spending all his time with his animal friends is now going to school. The boy returns and tells the animals, who misses him, all about what he has learned at school. This book is good for children who may have an issue with change or even separation.
Ola
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was very special to me and can be used in a classroom! This story is written about a boy who lives on a farm and one day the boy has to go to school! All of the animals wonder why he is going to school and they constantly ask him why he has to go! I enjoyed this book and I think it would be a great read for students in the classroom!
Naomi Blackburn
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it
A-DOR-ABLE! This book was just too cute. Farm animals have anxiety re: their pal, Tommy not visiting them. Why? Because Tommy has started kindergarten and can't wait to tell his four legged friends about it! Illustrations were great, but the storyline I just ate the storyline up.
Jessica
Sep 05, 2010 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book to my kindergartners and the kids loved helping me make the animal sounds! I really liked how the author had the animals talk in the book but at the same time explained that if you would have been listening it would have sounded like animal sounds.
Bunty Jah
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: peer-teacher
This is a good book it will be nice for Pre K children getting ready for kindergarteen. It teach children about animals and about life at a farm. I think it was somewhat a good way to introduce Kindergateen to kids.
Sharon Green
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
ages 4-6
transitional
read aloud
animal tale
education/school/reassuring to children going to kindergarten
onomatopoeia,assonance,rhyme,personification
farm animals concerned about Tommy going to kindergarten. Will he ever come back? fun
Kelsi Bowman
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
This would be a good book to read to kindergarteners in the first week of school and then again the last week of school. It goes through the alphabet and relates to farm animals when their little friend does not come to visit them because he goes off to school.
Jazzmin Baldwin
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: peer-teacher
This story is adorable. Having the animals involved trying to figure out where the boy went was too funny. And the boy comes home explaining his day to them. I enjoyed this book and prek students would as well.
Rebecca Dean
This is a good book to read on the first day of school. It is a great way to show the students how much they will have fun and learn.
Netanella
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Very good book about farm animals who miss their little boy after he goes to his first day of kindergarten.
Elizabeth
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Giggling happened and then he got all serious and said mom that's a weird song when I was doing the animal noises... LOL he cracks me up. Enjoyed!
Emilee Fox
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great, fun book!
Kelley Moore
Would be a good book to read on the first day of school or during the first month hen everyone is getting used to the while school thing.
Dolly
Sep 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
A fun story that describes a boy's first day of Kindergarten from the farm animals' perspective. Our girls really liked this book.
Jenny
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Anna loves this book - especially since she goes to Kgarten this year. I love the animal's spin on where the little boy went.
Anne
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
This started out to be very promising, but rambled a bit too long and never really took off. Disappointing.
Linda
Sep 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PreK - K
Ok, but it didn't convey enough about Kindergarten with pictures/story from the barnyard animals point of view.
« previous 1 3 4 next »