Start by marking “Flying Drunk” as Want to Read:
Flying Drunk

Flying Drunk

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  82 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Since he was a young boy, Joe Balzer dreamed of flying. He pursued his goal with a vigorous passion and earned his pilot licences, piling up hours of flight time with a wide variety of planes and jets with one overarching goal: to one day fly for a major airline. But Joe had a problem. He was an alcoholic, yet refused to admit it.
Published October 1st 2009 by Savas Beatie (first published June 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Flying Drunk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flying Drunk

Tim
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tim by: Joseph Balzer
Authored by my uncle, this book is an absolute must-read for anyone that has ever personally dealt with addiction, or known someone who has. Or, heck, if you're just curious to know what happened of that pilot you heard about on the news in the early 90s that was busted for flying drunk, this book has all your answers.
Denise Billings
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was the story of one of the guys in the AA Big Book. It's similar but it's not the same guy. Nevertheless I enjoyed the story.

I learned something unexpected, (Joe is a good teacher, he teaches when he's not even trying),"ground effect" is an aerodynamic condition in which an aircraft does not have enough airspeed to fly unless it stays close to the ground...no more than one-half of its own wingspan above the earth...an aircraft in this slow condition will stall and crash if it fl
Ladiibbug
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non-Fiction

The complete book title says it all. I heard about this book on TV awhile back and only vaguely remembered hearing about this years ago in the news. I was shocked to hear that one of the pilots was flying a commercial airplane again (actually, according to the book, at least two of the three pilots are flying airliners again).

After reading the complete book, the author convinced me beyond any doubt that he had earned a second chance at flying a commercial airplane. The rejections and
Chase
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up today after browsing the aviation section ay my local library and I couldn't put it down. I literally came home and read the entire thing in one sitting. It is an excellent story of someone who did wrong and overcame the consequences and personal obstacles we face in our lives.
Sgilbert
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was recommended to me by a student so hopefully it will be as good as he promised.

And it was. A true account of a pilot who was convicted of being drunk while flying. This also makes the reader think long and hard about alcoholism, getting on an airplane and incarceration. Quite the impact.
Amy Hearting
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book impacted me the most because it brought to life that your entire life can be changed in an instant. One decision can change years of planning and dream chasing for not only you but your loved ones. Good book....looked more into alcoholism after I read it.
Tammy
Jul 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely compelling. I found this book interesting throughout and was really drawn into Joe's story.
Bruce Baker
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone struggling with an addiction.
Candy Greenway
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure which pilot is telling the truth. Since they were both drunk at the time, I guess we'll never know.
Shauna
Jun 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous book of a man who gets knocked down by a bad decision. How he deals with the consequences by relying on God and not giving up. Loved this book
Linda
Jan 22, 2015
John Dorcey
Jul 01, 2012
Laura Ritchie
rated it did not like it
Aug 02, 2013
Spectre
Feb 14, 2015
Heather
Mar 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Joseph Balzer is a pilot for American Airlines with more than 15,000 hours of flight experience. He has a Master's Degree in Aerospace Education and is also an inspirational speaker, traveling around the country speaking to pilots and other groups on the dangers of alcohol and other addictions, bringing his audience to laughter and tears with his powerful message of hope.
Joe lives in Tennessee wi
More about Joseph Balzer...