Start by marking “The Chair” as Want to Read:
The Chair

The Chair

If someone gave you a chair and said it was made by Jesus Christ, would you believe them?

When an elderly lady shows up in Corin Roscoe's antiques store and gives him a chair she claims was crafted by Jesus, he scoffs. But when a young boy is miraculously healed two days after sitting in the chair, he stops laughing and starts wondering . . . could this chair heal the pers
Published September 15th 2011 by B Books (first published August 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Chair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chair

Mike (the Paladin)
If this book had been as "good" (that is of course a subjective word choice) throughout as it was for say the final quarter I could and would have given it 4 stars. This is the second book by the author I've read. It like the first I found (and again that is a subjective statement) I found the "storytelling" slow and somewhat disjointed.

The book has a story to tell us and it's got a message to deliver. it does both it's just that I found it a little convoluted, much as if there is/was maybe a qu
Ronie
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Rubart does it again! The Chair is a beautiful and poignant look into friendships, bitterness, and beauty of restoration. An unexpected twist left me with my mouth open—but it also jarred me into the daunting realization that I too had made the same mistake the characters made (read the book to find out what I mean!) that made them lose sight of what was important. With Rubart, there is never a bad read, so grab this book and hold on to THE CHAIR with both hands!
R.
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
If I could I would give this a 2.5 but that doesn't seem to be an option!

I have read his other title, Book of Days” and liked it. This story was not quite as developed. The idea was interesting but I had trouble following some of the story. The time line didn't flow in some places. I needed to go back thinking I'd skipped a chapter (It is rare for me to have this problems when reading a story) The story just skipped over some details that made it difficult to see how the main character goes fro
T
Mar 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Much like Coran, an extreme sports junkie, I, too, feel like I just got done BASE jumping after having read this book and now I have a serious case of whiplash. While it was good, it felt, at times, very disjointed and like the whole plotline and story was being both forced and rushed.

The premise was utterly fascinating -- what if Jesus (who, according to the Bible moonlighted as a carpenter on top of his Son of God duties) had built a chair...And that chair was passed down by a secret society (
Mandy J. Hoffman
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-reviews
MOM'S REVIEW:

If you were told that a certain chair was made by Jesus Christ and had healing power, would you believe it?
Corin Roscoe, an antique store owner, is given this chair and then begins his search for the truth. His life takes many unexpected and dangerous turns as others are affected by his search and desperate people try to get possession of the chair.

Healing broken relationships is the main theme of this novel and that is accomplished in a unique way by this author of other books such
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
On Tuesday afternoon at five thirty, an elderly lady strode into Corin's antique store as if she owned it and said, "The next two months of your life will be either heaven or hell."

The corners of her mouth turned up a fraction. It was almost a smile.

"Excuse me?" Corin Roscoe stared at her over the mound of bills in front of him and stifled a laugh. White hair, deep smile lines etched into her high cheekbones - she had to be at least midseventies. Maybe eighty, but she moved like she was in her f
Rie
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Where to begin.... (view spoiler) ...more
Cindy
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I loved LOVED this book, it stretched my imagination greatly. I have grown up in the church, and have never ever considered the concept or idea that a peice of furniture could be made by Jesus. It stretches me to imagine that a chair could survive for two thousand plus years, and end up in America of all places. However that is what makes the book fantastic. It is the unknown. Could it be possible.

Of all the people in America, Corin Roscoe, cannot fathom why this lady, who will not tell him who
Janna Ryan
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
James Rubart is carving out his own niche in writing. It isn't pure spec fiction, but has tones of it. It isn't pure mystery or suspense but it will keep you guessing. It isn't pure drama but it is infused with it at every turn. What is it? Fantastic!

He started with Rooms and then Book of Days and now his 3rd book in one year is The Chair. Each one is a stand alone with new characters, different situations and insightful theology. The Chair got me from the beginning with the main character, Co
Melanie
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started 'The Chair' - because this is the first book that I've read by James L. Rubart - but I'm pleased to say that I really enjoyed it! It had suspense, drama, and a good story.

If you were given an ancient-looking chair and told Jesus Christ made it, would you believe it?

Corin Roscoe, the owner of an antiques store, is given a chair and told it was made by the most talented craftsman the world has ever known. He is then taken on an intense journey of grief,
K. L.
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: spiritual seekers, adventure lovers, those holding grudges or feeling guilt
Recommended to K. by: friend
Shelves: christian, suspense
“Do religious artifacts have supernatural power?” “how do you really get over guilt and regret?” and “What lengths would you go to in order to get what you want?” Best-selling author James Rubart (www.jimrubart.com) plays with these and other interesting questions in many ways in his new book.
An ancient chair, crafted by the “most talented tekton craftsman the world has ever known” ends up in Corin Roscoe’s antique shop. The chair apparently has healing power—though a power that can’t be manipu
Lynae Malchus
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, favorites
This book will always be in my top 10 list. Although the book starts out a little slow, and I found myself correcting grammar, and sentences, the message of this book is a very significant component of my life and a direct path to my happiness.

Numerous profound themes are exhibited throughout the book as components that lead one to peace. Forgiveness, Friendships, Healing, Love, Truth - They all should be treasured and handled with care.

Two quotes in the book have made me contemplate and given
Vicki Hinze
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational
SOMETIMES A CHAIR IS NOT JUST A CHAIR.

Corin Roscoe, an antiques store owner, is a man fighting fears relatable to us all: ones with family, with friends, with God. His days are haunted with harsh realities and his nights by dreams of horrific incidents endured. He reaches many crossroads in this book: does he hang onto fear or face it? Hang onto guilt or seek forgiveness? Deny the truth or accept it? And when life offers him a choice between the easy road or the high road--when the easy road wil
Ashley
Sep 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
James Rubarts' The Chair will lead you on an adventure of faith and self-examination as Corin, owner of an antiques shop that is on it's last breaths of life, stumbles upon what will no doubt be his greatest acquisition yet. When an elderly woman walks in and gives him a chair supposedly made by Christ himself, he is naturally skeptical. But when strange and unexplained phenomenon begin to surround the chair, Corin begins to wonder if there really isn't more to it than meets the eye. With crimin ...more
Lola
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
This story features inappropriate reactions by characters given the circumstances, and stunted, uncomfortable dialogue. A character whose throat gets slit decides to launch into a monologue as that character bleeds out? Come on. Add to that the bizarre and almost-laughable plot twists. This book also had a distracting number of typos (I counted 7 and then stopped keeping track), which is a pet peeve of mine.

The only reason I'd consider reading this author again is because he notes in the epilog
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow! And an extra WOW just so you take me seriously! I was not too sure about this book because I read "Rooms" by the same Author and thought it was just OK. But this one was so much better than just ok, it was amazing! Part Christian psychological drama, part thriller, part suspense, part love story, and ALL on-the-edge-of-your-seat reading! I read this in 2 days and didn't even want to put it down when I had to.

Every single time I thought I had things figured out... I would
A.S.
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book did not live up to my expectations. I read "Soul's Gate" first, and I liked it better than "The Chair." "The Chair" was an ambitious concept, and I deeply appreciated the importance the book gave to inner healing and forgiveness without delving into cheesiness.

And what happened with Tori? I know they broke up, but her confusion and hurt over the things of God was left completely unresolved. If her turmoil wasn't germane to the story, why include it?

I'm glad to see this type of Christi
Lou
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reseña en español

A very entertaining reading. I liked the history and development of the mystery. It wasn't overwhelming and it was easy to read. But what I did not like much was the end ...
Moreover, the message was touching and it touched my heart.
Patricia
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very thought provoking book. Is it reallly a chair crafted by Christ? This is what the owner of an antiques store wonders after an odd older woman gives him a free chair. Odd miracles seem to occur as the book continues. A very interesting read; I recommend it highly.
Stacy M. Patton
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I love how James Rubart writes each book with a life giving message. His books are always powerful reminders to live life to the fullest and for eternity. The theme of this book is reconciliation and I thought James nailed this one well in this story.

I loved the plot of this book and I thought it was interesting and thought provoking! This story is about a chair that was supposedly made by Jesus when He was a carpenter. The chair also supposedly has healing abilities due to its maker. One day,
Sam D.Turner
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A three star story until the last 50 pages

I wouldn’t say that the author is a gifted writer; I would however say that he is able to trigger emotions from his stories and make you see things from a new perspective and I value that in a story more than how well it it written. the depth of the characters is less than I expected, the story seems to take unanticipated course changes without notice tot he point that they become expected and there are the trite literary sayings often found in Christian
J.E. Grace
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The chair is an exciting thrill ride of adventure, suspense, and healing of relationships. Corin has been carrying years of guilt, while his brother is wrestling with years of resentment. Can they both find peace and resolve their relationship and be healed from the hurt of the past?

The chair is part fantasy, but has wonderful spiritual aspects laced throughout the story that grab at your heart and make you think. It's a story of relationships restored, renewed faith, and peace. The characters s
Sandra Bagwell
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book was like riding a really wild roller coaster with so many ups, downs, twists and turns. This is the first book I have read by this author. The story was nothing like what I normally read. We often treasure those bits of history passed down generation to generation in the form of a Knox knack, chair, desk, table, etc. It is fun to imagine a piece of furniture crafted by Jesus,as a carpenter and passed down to a modern generation. It's a well written book you will want to read an ...more
Donna J
Didn’t get it..

I was really expecting ‘The Chair” to be among books like ‘The Room’ and I was throughly disappointed. I understand we have to have forgiveness and forgive others in our lives..but the end was so not expected and I thought ‘The Chair’ was going to be something fascinating, it wasn’t. To say I liked it would be a lie. I’m sorry but it was all over the place & I still don’t get it? I’m a Christian and I have an open mind, but what has forgiveness got to do with a “chair” that wa
Sherry
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book thought provoking. What would a person do with a chair made by Christ himself, said to have miraculous healing? Not to mention. what would others do to own it?

While I admit, it was a slow start, and a bit disconnected in places, it enjoyed it overall. I enjoy a book that makes me think what I would do in this instance or that? How would I feel? What would God expect of me?
Connie
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was selected as a book club selection. I was a little nervous about it at first. I wonder if a story about a chair that may have power to heal and was made by Jesus would be too cheesy or too out of the box. However, because of the themes of the novel; relationships, forgiveness, faith, fears it easily becomes relatable. I enjoyed it.
Kat
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, suspense
I was disappointed. It certainly caught my attention and held it but the surprises weren't that surprising. The overall message was excellent and I did care about Corin, Shasta and the rest; possibly too much. Some of it (Tori) felt unnecessary and it was just too predictable.
Margaret Cobb
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found this book not as uplifting as anticipated, but of a person who suffers from depression. I will not look for other books from this author. His characters are not fulfilled with love of life but filled with heavy burdens they choose to carry.
Connie
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very well written book. The first few Pages captured my attention. The story touched my heart and soul. I felt as if I knew the characters on a personal level. As I read, I felt my faith soar! It will be well worth your time.
BewareTheWildAnimals
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
This was an accidental find for me and I am so glad of it! What a real experience. I truly enjoy CHRISTIAN novels that are not corny, overly religious or lacking substance. This story delivered on all accounts and I look forward to reading more novels by this author in the future.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Strange Man (The Coming Evil, #1)
  • Vigilante (Dangerous Times, #3)
  • The Resurrection
  • Hidden in Dreams (Book of Dreams #2)
  • The Soul Saver
  • Temptation (Solitary Tales, #3)
  • Enemies Among Us (Matt Hogan #1)
  • Beckon
  • The Guardian
  • Gone to Ground
  • The Scroll
  • Oath of the Brotherhood (Song of Seare, #1)
  • The Judgment Stone  (Immortal Files #2)
  • House of Mercy
  • The Sinners' Garden
  • In the Shadow of Evil
  • The Maze
  • Chasing the Wind
James L. Rubart is a 28 year old trapped in an older man's body, who loves to water ski and dirt bike with his two grown sons. He's the bestselling, Christy Book of the Year, Carol, INSPY, and RT Book Reviews award winning author of ten novels, including his latest, The Pages of Her Life. He lives with his amazing wife on a small lake in eastern Washington.
“I’m not scared of dying. Not at all. The only thing I’m scared of is not living while I’m still alive.” 10 likes
“I think all people have things in their past they need forgiveness for. In their present as well. And they need to be extended grace for what they regret.” 6 likes