Start by marking “Pussy Willow (A Little Golden Book)” as Want to Read:
Pussy Willow (A Little Golden Book)

Pussy Willow (A Little Golden Book)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  120 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A little cat searches for a year before spring comes again and he finds the pussy willows for which he named himself.
Published 1979 by Western Publishing Company, Inc. (first published 1951)

Amy
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the first page, I love the idea that the kitten (Pussy Willow)names himself. I also liked how the answer to the question is, "Everything that anyone would ever look for is____________," with each animal giving an answer unique to their own view of the world.
Laura Verret
Written by Margaret Wise Brown, author of Goodnight Moon, Pussy Willow is the story of a grey cat who names himself after the furry gray flowers of the pussy willow bush. As the seasons change and the flowers disappear, Pussy Willow begins to worry and search for the flowers. Along the way, Pussy Willow asks advice from passing creatures as to where they think he should look for the flowers, but each creature’s answer is obviously biased by their own interests. (i.e., the butterfly tells him to ...more
Josiah
May 09, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Pussy Willow" is a story that has deservedly been read and appreciated for nearly sixty years. Gorgeous illustrations by award winner Leonard Weisgard perfectly adorn the pages alongside Margaret Wise Brown's spare words, creating a harmonious narrative that flows with uncommon elegance all the way to the satisfying conclusion.
Dale Miller
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mother read it to me, and I read it to my son. Not only is it a wonderful story, it has to be one of the most beautifully illustrated children's books I have ever encountered. If you don't have a copy, find one.
Shanna_redwind
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"But the cabbage just sat there in its great green silence and never said a word."

I loved this book as a kid, and I'm reading the same large Golden book to my kids that I had read to me as a child.

Leonard Weisgard's illustrations made the book for me as a child. There was so much to look at in them, aside from the central theme of each page. That they wrapped around the text only made it better for me.

As an adult, the imagery and poetry of the words gives me pleasure when I read the book to my k
Siskiyou-Suzy
This book is fantastic for talking about seasons and the changing world -- though I don't think Pussy Willow ever catches on, it'd be a neat book for seeing if any of the kids can. I enjoy the idyllic glimpse of nature we're presented all through Pussy Willow's quest. I also like how each animal talks about where he would find things he's looking for. Again, this could inspire so much thinking and conversation. Lovely!
BobbieJ
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my all time favorite book as a child! I read it over and over. My only wish is that the publishers would put it on ebook format so a new generation of children will have it to enjoy forever.
Marya
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Wow, am I ever a city slicker. I don't recall ever seeing pussy willow, and this whole exploration of nature thing seems really really remote. Wonder if she's written one about the changing seasons of apartment buildings' potted plants?
Matthew
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite books from childhood. I have the fondest memories of reading and re-reading this book at my grandmother's house. The pictures are so vivid and enticing and make you yearn to explore the world the way Pussy Willow does. Highly recommended!
Cheyenne
REad this every night before I went to bed for the first seven years of my life!
Virginia Messina
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
This was a Christmas gift in the very large Golden Book edition, with wonderful illustrations by Leonard Weisgard. Like most books by MWB, it's sweet, tender and endearing.
Mckinley
Aug 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, animal, cat
I think it had a good germ of an idea but over all, not so much.
K.C.
  • Big Sister and Little Sister
  • The Little Rabbit Who Wanted Red Wings
  • Three Little Kittens
  • The Halloween Play
  • Mother Goose (Little Golden Book)
  • I Spy Little Book
  • The Biggest, Most Beautiful Christmas Tree
  • The Summer Nick Taught His Cats to Read
  • It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown
  • How To Catch A Heffalump (Disney's Pooh)
  • The Nutcracker
  • The Story of the Nutcracker Ballet
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...