Start by marking “Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution” as Want to Read:
Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution

Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution

The most successful business book of the last decade, Reengineering the Corporation is the pioneering work on the most important topic in business today: achieving dramatic performance improvements. This book leads readers through the radical redesign of a company's processes, organization, and culture to achieve a quantum leap in performance.

Michael Hammer and James Champ
Published October 10th 2006 by Harper Business (first published May 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Reengineering the Corporation, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
Paul Szydlowski
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book gets five stars because it saved my business, if not my life. My business partner and I had been working 100+ hour weeks for months (I'd go home at midnight, come back at five or six and ask him if he was already back or still there - he'd typically answer "still here"). Clothes we would typically promise tomorrow were now being promised back a week from tomorrow - and they were still not done in time. It was Labor Day weekend and I was supposed to go to Hilton Head with my wife, but o ...more
James Nasipak
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book for anyone looking to transform their organization. It is not easy or popular, but reengineering is the vaccine a dying organization needs in order to live. However, it must be the leaders the own the transformation.
Joshua Giles
Jul 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'll be honest with you. It took me a month to power through this book, and I only did so after my boss made me. I always retain book facts well but with this book I remembered just enough to pass off my knowledge in it but a year later I don't remember anything and that says something. Maybe with a better mindset going in i might have liked it more, but probably not lol
Ehsan Choudhry
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first half of the book is a good and insightful read into how to make radical changes. But after some point it becomes a bit redundant.
Overall a good read for those looking to bring about changes in existing companies and their systems and procedures.
Irfan Malick
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice introduction.

I read after being in the process field for quite sometime. I think it was natural to read the beginning of the work performed. Safe to say, most of the issues then are still relevant today.
Mary Kelly
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Short, sweet, and to the point. Has some good ideas, less specialization and more efficiency.
A PEARSON
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Starts really strong but tapers out a little bit. Some very good insights into company structure and processes. 3.5/5
Mark Parent
Apr 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Solid principles but felt a bit dated
Bernard
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
- Conceptual book about re-engineering without strong methodology

- A lot of ideas are taken from toyota lean (value-stream, value to customer, etc.) but not explained clearly.
Cyril Danthi
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Business is all about taking the right risk for profits. Business is run by people and needs processes and guidliness for controls. Business processes needs reengineering based on the organisations vision and appitite. The reengineering the corporation provides key insights on how to redevelop or redesign the business process so that the purpose and value is achieved based on the customer needs. I found the following as the key from the book.
Chapter – 1: The reengineering Concept
- Reengineering
JP
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The authors assert that the current circumstances of business in America are not due to factors currently blamed (foreign competition, federal government, etc). The solution is not in automation, management-by-whatever concepts (e.g. TQM), but in totally rethinking a business in terms of whole processes. Reengineering is: "If I were re-creating this company today, given what I know and given current technology, what would it look like?" A business process is a "collection of activities that take ...more
Jim
Aug 01, 2011 added it
Bruce Rasher, the transition manager for the merger of the DEQ & DNR into the DNRE, cited this book as one of his inspirations. It's worthwhile reading as it explains what reengineering is, what it isn't, common mistakes and cites some success stories from private industries & a utility company. I especially enjoyed reading Chapter 3 where the authors what a reengineered process looks like. This book inspires me to become a change agent, but I have to wonder how successful reengineering DNRE is ...more
Carlos Munhoz
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In 1993, when this book was published for the first time, most organizations in America had became inefficient and mammoth proportions monsters, spending ridiculous ammounts of money with useless systems, hardware, offices and any sort of pointless extravagances. The original idea was an easy concept, but the implications (specially in a giant organization) were huge: it was about time to re-think the whole company, and decide what could (and should) be cut. Unfortunatelly, some ideas were misun ...more
Synthia
May 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This is a good book for someone in a management, director or VP position that is either looking to improve intra-office dynamics or is in a traditional company that is in need of keeping up with the times. It is a more holistic view of running a company. Includes the ideas of: combing several jobs into one, allowing workers to make decisions, performing the steps of a process in a natural order, and recognizing that processes have multiple versions and designing processes to take account of diff ...more
Janna
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I likely wouldn't have picked this book up if it hadn't been required for my MBA coursework; however, this was a fairly quick read for me. As the title suggests, it gives tremendous insight into reengineering of corporations, but supports this concept with strong case studies. The concepts and cases are easily understandable and interesting to those who are business-minded and seek constant improvement opportunities. Overall, I'd recommend it, but this may be a book you'd seek out at the library ...more
Ivonne Vivlo
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have already finished this lecture and it is interesting from the beginning to the end; I had learn new things, concepts and strategies that can be useful for the company where currently I work in; and seeing the examples and errors in processes, there is big desire to have the chance for being part of a reengineering implementation here.
It is a very good tool to have in mind even in personal life.
I like it a lot.
Surendran Velath
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All
When Information Technology revolutionized the way we worked and lived, businesses were struggling to understand what IT could do for them. Without a change in the business processes, IT could do nothing to add profits to them. Reengineering came into picture just for this reason. This is one of the best books that explained what reengineering was all about and why it was required.
Rob
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
A very good book that describes the difference between continuous process improvement and reengineering (or building a process from scratch).
The business examples were useful as were the "reason for failure" chapter. I would love to find a good book on how to build a learning game like the one discussed in the IBM example.
Lamec Mariita
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
An excellent interesting book. It is a very inspiring story of how corporations transformed themselves to meet the changing demands of the market place. In spite of being released 20 years ago, the book is still useful just a little dated. You will love the book if you are interested in business techniques. I recommend the book for all managers and consultants.
Carrie
Sep 13, 2009 added it
Although required reading always is a downer, this book is acutally interesting. Well written with a good dose of humor, it gives a different spin on the way we think about business. Caution, may induce sleep.
Jim
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book should be in the standard curriculum for business students and consultants. Hammer's arguments for a wholesale reorientation in the business world (from task to process organization) make complete sense. But surprisingly, the business world still seems to be stuck in the industrial age.
Lastoadri
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
A simple and quick recipe for how to re-work your cooperate work. Not really fully applicable to all sorts of corporates, yet it gives you a better insight for the big picture.
I think its a must read for anyone interested in such topics.
Jolene
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was my pocket reference guide when I ran into major challenges transforming Fortune 500 processes from out of control to simply flowing with improved working climate. Timeless too.

Any Michael Hammer book is worth checking out. I have also read Beyond Reengineering.
Quint
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good work, but what works for one company many not work for others. The fallacy is that cleaning out the old and in with the new neglects that organizations can't simple reset to zero and all will be well.
Francis Jeyaraj
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I did a project on "Re-engineering readiness assessment in GEC Alsthom"
Jeremy
Dec 31, 2008 rated it liked it
I had to read this for one of my classes. I actually liked it. When I am a CEO someday I know I will refer to some of the concepts I learned in it.
Todd
May 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 100-best
This book was included in my book: The 100 Best Business Books of All Time. www.100bestbiz.com ...more
Ron
Feb 02, 2011 added it
Shelves: quality
An alternative to kaisen improvements by totally redesigning the process. The is another major book on redesign.
Alissa Thorne
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Short and to the point, this book was packed with clear and concrete information.
Adam Wiggins
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Business process optimization, with the central thesis being that too much subdivision of labor can make for inefficient processes.

• The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization
  • Thriving on Chaos: Handbook for a Management Revolution
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action
  • Competing for the Future
  • Out of the Crisis
  • In the Plex: How Google Thinks, Works, and Shapes Our Lives
  • Leading Change
  • How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients
  • Leadership Is an Art
  • Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance
  • Financial Intelligence: A Manager's Guide to Knowing What the Numbers Really Mean
  • In Search Of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • Nuts!
  • The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement
  • Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty: The only networking book you'll ever need
  • Self-Directed Behavior: Self-Modification for Personal Adjustment