Start by marking “Psicologia delle folle” as Want to Read:
Psicologia delle folle

Psicologia delle folle

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  8,099 ratings  ·  1,156 reviews
Pubblicato nel 1895, questo studio seppe cogliere i primi segnali dell'entrata in scena di un nuovo attore sociale: la folla, soggetto e, al contempo, oggetto dell'operare politico. Degradato a manuale precettistico, fu "livre de chevet" di dittatori e aspiranti tali durante gli anni Venti del Novecento. Ma nelle sue parti più vitali, nelle sue numerose intuizioni, in un c ...more
Published May 2004 by TEA (first published 1895)

To ask other readers questions about Psicologia delle folle, please sign up.
إيمان❤︎ To answer the question straightforwardly: yes, it is indeed very famous in many Arabic countries because these countries knew the most "revolutions"…moreTo answer the question straightforwardly: yes, it is indeed very famous in many Arabic countries because these countries knew the most "revolutions" since " The Arabic Spring" of 2011 [you can google it for more information] (also known as The Democracy Spring). As an observation or a remark that you can skip, the word "instead of" you used slightly offended me as an Arab. There is no such a thing as a "universal" language to write in reviews, nor is there a way of judging the popularity of a book somewhere/its readers based off a site not very known such as Goodreads. Have a nice day!(less)

·  8,099 ratings  ·  1,156 reviews

Science (Fiction) Comedy Horror and Fantasy Geek/Nerd
Forever highly dangerous instructions for the instrumentalization and manipulation of humans

Please note that I put the original German text at the end of this review. Just if you might be interested.

As current as the problem is, so narrow-minded appear some of the author's remarks, which allows his subjective opinion to flow slowly into various passages, which is an unforgivable mistake for serious non-fiction. The mediated concept of history should be treated with caution since aspects such as
Vilena
Extremely shrewd, ahead of its time, and simply brilliant. One of the strongest and most influential studies I’ve read. Don’t think I’ve ever highlighted a book so much. An unarguable classic in the field of crowd psychology - and for a good reason.
Ensiform
Translator not named; with an introduction by Robert A. Nye (my thesis advisor).

There are two ways to approach this polemical rant. The first is as an historical product: it's a conservative response to the vagaries of the masses, which in LeBon's day were leading to the dangers of socialism, indifference, and decadence. The primitive crowd mentality was destroying civilization, as LeBon saw it, and this work is meant to address why, and offers insights on how the statesman can control crowds be
JakeR
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me understand a lot about why crowds do the things they do. For example, why are there so many harmful comments on social media? It's because on social media, everybody's pretty invisible. There will be no immediate consequences to perhaps one of their insults among millions of others. Once everyone notices the power of becoming invisible, the only thing visible becomes the crowd.
Also in the books Homo Sapiens and Homo Deus, the author also explained that this kind of crowd psych
James
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book enlightening, but frightening and immensely sad. There were a few times when I found it repetitious and boring, but overall, would recommend it to any thinking man (and of course woman)

The first part of the book is about crowds like mobs, and how people behave. I don't agree with everything but his central observation is that crowds are hypnotized by a leader and thus not as responsible for their actions.

The other part of the book that really caught my attention was the part a
Aliaq8
Mar 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rated-1
Zzzzzzz

Its a study, which is a bit dated and repetitive. There are much better and Updated studies than this.

a couple paragraphs that i disliked:
“It will be remarked that among the special characteristics of crowds there are several…which are almost always observed in beings belonging to inferior forms of evolution—in women, savages, and children, for instance.”

Tiberius, Ghengis Khan, and Napoleon were assuredly redoubtable tyrants, but from the depth of their graves Moses, Buddha, Jesus, and Ma
Andrea
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although it was written 1895, it applies also to our time! It was first published with the title of 'la psychologie des foules' I think this title fits better! People in crowds act like 'foules'. We are influenced by media, opinions, society, rules, etc! To be open and independent and to escape from the standards of society is not an easy task! The examples that refers the author are referred to France history!
sara manente
the book that all the dictators apparently read
Dominique Perregaux
This book is a must read to understand the past, current and future revolutions. Analyzing the psychology of crowds, Le Bon explains in details two fundamental elements that everybody should know and assimilate:

1) A crowd is a crowd. Whatever it is composed of idiots or savants, a crowd is an anonymous mass, a shapeless monster that brings to the surface the most basic, primal and violent instincts of its members. The impunity that being among others attribute is the basis of the danger of a cro
James Eardley
An important book for all right wing dissidents to read, it is not "politically correct" by "Progressive" standards. Anyone who objects to the eternal truths in this book, is either a lemming, Liberal or Commie. It does explain the catastrophic failure of the French Revolution and Inorganic Suffrage and the Parliamentary System that is all to well known. I do believe that this book has been utilized for evil in the case of Capitalism where Media Masters utilize the collective weaknesses of the C ...more
Thomas
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a solid read, Le Bon makes some great observations on the mind of the crowd, and it resonates just as strong today. A very important observation is that he uses the word {race} a lot, he is talking about culture not skin tone, and he discusses the French race and the Revolution extensively. I would love to read his observations of the crowd and the Internet, but after you read this I think you can extrapolate what he would have said. This is worth the time, check it out.
Sylvester Kuo
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, politics
It's refreshing to read a social science book without having to endure the mindless claptrap the author tried to shove down our throats. The Crowd is a study of how groups behave, although mainly based on rationalization of the French Republic, it was quite a good (somewhat outdated) read.
Scott Moore
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Should be called "sheep and how they graze" or "don't be a sheep". Good read.
Jake
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant pioneering work of sociology. I have seen very few works that have carried on the torch of the field of crowd psychology. Worth a read for people interested in the classics of sociology
Fındıkodunu
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my father's book. He died in 1996 so this book like as a gift from paradise to me. Thanks father. See u soon.
Melissa Janda
I was interested in the book The Crowd; Study of the Popular Mind by Gustave Le Bon to gain an understanding of the psychology of crowds (doing a little research). What causes people to become acquiescent, and in many cases participate in the oppression of others?

Here are a couple of responses to that question Le Bon provided in his book:

“The crowd is always dominated by considerations of which it is unconscious—the disappearance of brain activity and the predominance of medullar activity—the lo
Czarny Pies
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone curious about the politics of the 20th Century
Recommended to Czarny by: Benito Mussolini
Shelves: political-theory
Gustave LeBon's legendary La psychologie des foules is a stunning book. It is well documented that Benito Mussolini greatly admired this work and it has been speculated that Adolf Hilter was also influenced by it. In La psychologie des foules makes a compelling analysis of crowd behaviour that rings true on every page. He tells us what we already know from personal experience or have heard second-hand about crowds. The book is not scientific group psychology as LeBon mistakenly believes it to be ...more
Brad
Gustave Le Bon’s 1895 work, The Crowd, portrayed the massed public as pathologically irrational, its members incapable of thinking or acting as individuals: “…by the mere fact that he forms part of an organised crowd, a man descends several rungs in the ladder of civilisation” (12). While acknowledging that crowds are sometimes virtuous and heroic, Le Bon emphasized their destructive capacity and their threat to the hierarchies of established order. The Crowd was used as a guide by Hitler and Mu ...more
YHC
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More than 100 years, this book still describes so perfectly crowd behaviors. despite of the criticism of disrespectful to women and kids, his ideas were still consider a very insightful observation. After all the era he lived in, women had not right for formal education and voting.
Looking at the nowadays social events, political incidents, we can see so easily humans are looking for saviors, let's say leader. Once they decide to follow, they will not think!

底下這位寫的筆記很好 我收藏自己可觀看!
Benjamin
The Crowd is essential for crowd theory, but as McClelland notes, Le Bon sometimes plays it fast and loose with his theory (as well as his sources, in order to make him seem like the foundation of a new theory -- kind of a habit of his as he even claimed that Einstein had gotten the theory of relativity from him). The main point is that (a) crowds regress (and people's foundational ideas are racial/conservative), (b) crowds always need to be led, and (c) the most powerful leaders are as fascinat ...more
Travis
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writer of the summary of this book has given it an unfair shake. Without consideration for the period and setting in which Le Bon was reflecting on his observations of group behavior, many of his insights are timeless. He reflects steadily on the French Revolution and the observations of earlier writers and historians (in particular, Hippolyte Taine), and relays the effects of groups upon individuals in various subcategories of society regardless of degree of perceived sophistication or earn ...more
George
Aug 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, nook-st
WEIGHTY, BUT WORDY.

“In crowds it is stupidity and not mother-wit that is accumulated.”—page 20

Gustave Le Bon’s, ‘The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind is an excellent, though slow, exposition on the mindset of crowds—be they riotous mobs, elected legislatures, criminal trial juries, or classroom committees—that is packed with insights. On the downside, it would take three of four readings before I’d be comfortable that I’d gotten most of it.

Recommendation: For serious student and curious, but p
Ahmed Hamad
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not a very pleasant read per-se. It has even upset my stomach at times. Nonetheless, the leap this man has taken for humanity in terms of understanding our nature is quite huge. It is in our nature to have to descend a few steps down the ladder of evolution, from the mere effect of being embedded in a group of people. The stronger the connections, the more our unconscious mind takes explicit form, bringing to surface the most destructive illogical and irrational power our species has kn ...more
Hussain Sulais
could I have read this book earlier?
not sure, maybe because most of the information I was able to extract were already known to me. if in chapter 1 it differentiates between a CROWD and the psychological crowd. Which then builds on to describe the characteristics of the psychological crowd, and causes of these characteristics.

One of these causes is the suggestibility, it somehow opens a window into hypnoses. I felt strong desire to read about hypnotizing people after this section.

in chapter 2,
Dung Phan
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
It's quite an easy read and also amusing to me. It'd never 100% true when it comes to generalization, so you'll have to accept that it will be accurate and inaccurate to some extent.

I'm reading this book when there're ongoing protests in Vietnam. Gustave shares some good points when he says it's useless to find any logic, critical thinking in any crowd's mind. In general, they want to believe what they want to believe.

What I like about this book is some core characteristics that you can easily
Ralph Orr
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology
A late-nineteenth-century study (commentary) on the nature of crowds, that appears to be regarded as a classic in sociology. Even today, it remains a good read. However, modern readers will likely be shocked by the author's then-popular prejudices against women and "primatives." The lack of documentation according to modern standards will also disturb some. Finally, the tone of the book is that of an educated elite looking down upon his subjects of study and feeling separate and somewhat superio ...more
Alex
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely convincing even though the theories are much based on reasoning and not experimentation. After reading, it suddenly becomes quite clear why crowds, radical ideas, loss of reasoning, prohibition of minority opinions, violence, and destruction have natural kinships, and how the French Revolution, the Bolshevik and the Nazi movements, and Mao's "Cultural revolution", etc. could happen, and so explosively.

(Edition: Psychologie des foules, 1895, http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/2...)
Ali Reda
The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. An individual in a crowd is a grain of sand amid other grains of sand, which the wind stirs up at will.
Eduard Iulian
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this book was written 100 years ago, it is still valid today. It is a very good analysis of the manipulation of the masses. The author also analyzes the ideologies, is showing the problems of the ideologies, and 100 years ago predicted the fall of the communist ideology. A very good book, and the author is objective when affirms his statements.
Abdalla Mohamed
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is amazing discussing the mind of the crowd in a world started to revolut against regimes and ideas. Being Egyptian who witnessed Egyptian revolution in 2011, I felt like all the ideas of the book happened in a way or another. The last thing, if you plan to read the book in English don't buy the version published by dover publications NY, its poorly written and edited.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• تكوين العقل العربي
  • الإعلان الإسلامي
  • المتلاعبون بالعقول
  • عصر التشهير بالعرب والمسلمين
  • Awakening Islam: The Politics of Religious Dissent in Contemporary Saudi Arabia
  • الخلافات السياسية بين الصحابة
A social psychologist, sociologist, and amateur physicist. He was the author of several works in which he expounded theories of national traits, racial superiority, herd behavior and crowd psychology.
“قد تطيح مؤامرة بالطاغية, ولكن ماذا تستطيع أن تفعل ضد عقيدة راسخة ؟” 133 likes
“الشئ الذي يهيمن على روح الجماهير ليس الحاجه إلى الحريه و إنما إلى العبوديه. ذلك أن ظمأها للطاعه يجعلها تخضع غرائزياً لمن يعلن بأنه زعيمها” 113 likes