Jump to ratings and reviews

Froggy

Froggy's Best Christmas

"The humor and spirited artwork will put Froggy fans in the holiday mood!" (The Horn Book)

"Children who have delighted in the earlier books about Froggy will cheer him along as he experiences his very first Christmas." (School Library Journal)

32 pages, Paperback

First published September 25, 2000

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jonathan London

175 books176 followers
Jonathan London is the author of several celebrated children's books. His commitment to honoring the wonders of the natural world has been lauded by readers and critics alike. He is the author of more than 70 children's books, many of which are about nature. He's also the author of the popular Froggy series. He lives in Graton, California with his wife and two sons.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
44 (8%)
1 star
7 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 68 reviews
Profile Image for Sheila .
1,911 reviews
December 1, 2012
I'm star-rating this one for my daughter, because it is one of her favorite childhood Christmas stories. We have a whole collection of Christmas books that we have accumulated over the years, which come out and are on display in two large baskets right after Thanksgiving every year, then get boxed up after Christmas and stored away until the following year. This book is in that collection, and when the books came out this year, my daughter wanted this story to be one of the first ones we re-read together. Froggy's antics always makes her laugh, and I think he will be one of her favorite Christmas books for years to come. I doubt she will ever "outgrow" it.
Profile Image for Keri Fletcher.
55 reviews2 followers
December 19, 2011
Loved adding a science lesson about hibernation to this simple read for my Kindergarten and First graders. Also I used the puppet- big hit!
Profile Image for N.
2,650 reviews14 followers
December 19, 2019
This is the second book I've read this week that included waking up hibernating animals so that they could enjoy Christmas. Does it bother anyone else that this implies that enjoying Christmas is worth one's own health? Or that it's ok to force enjoying Christmas on people/ beings?

Like... I can see someone writing a really interesting paper comparing this to missionaries and colonialism and such. Anyone game? As I keep reading through our collection, I'll offer you more titles to include.
293 reviews3 followers
December 17, 2021
Even though my students are 4th graders, they still enjoy the Froggy books! This is one I read on Christmas week and they always enjoy it!
February 16, 2015
This book is the story of a young and playful frog as he experiences Christmas for the first time. Froggy has heard a lot about the holiday, but has never experienced it since he is usually sleeping. His friend explains to him that Christmas is all about having fun with your friends and family as they gather their friends to pick out a Christmas tree. Froggy is not the only one who had to be woken up to experience the holiday celebrations. In the end of this sweet book, the frogs parents join the festivities and Froggy labels his first Christmas as his best Christmas.

The moral of this story is the importance of friends and family and how enjoyable and rewarding it is to have close relationships during the holidays. The text does not explain why Froggy and some of the friends have never experienced Christmas due to their sleeping which will raise questions from the younger audience and open the door to a new learning experience. Max, the character who brings the friends together is a great example to the readers of a good friend with great holiday spirit. If this book is read during the holidays it can also help the children to understand Christmas is not all about presents.

The illustrations in the book are simple with many different colors and shapes. Certain words throughout the book are larger or a different color than the original text which emphasizes on how to read the words. The expressions on the characters faces are constantly happy and excited shown by the large smiles across their faces, which adds to the feeling of holiday spirit. Overall, this is a great books for kids that is both entertaining and not overly didactic.
Profile Image for Angie.
2,849 reviews12 followers
November 25, 2015
Synopsis: "Froggy has never celebrated Christmas; usually he's taking his long winter's nap. But not this year! Froggy's best friend, Max the beaver, wakes him up to join the fun. Soon, Froggy's gotten into the swing of things: finding a tree, wrapping presents, singing carols, and enjoying a holiday feast. Join Froggy as he celebrates his very first, and very best, Christmas!"

My Review: This may not be the best book for bedtime, it is a very loud and very exciting book for little ones. All the animal friends get together to enjoy their first Christmas (since they are all hibernating animals). I wasn't too keen on the fact that everything is loud, the friends shout, yell, etc. nearly everything throughout the book. It does have a lot fun holiday happenings for kids to compare their own adventures with and they will probably enjoy that, but Munchkin wasn't too into the story or the images of this one.
87 reviews
April 4, 2016
Froggy's Best Christmas by Jonathan London with illustrations by Frank Remkiewicz is an enjoyable holiday tale of the real meaning of Christmas. Froggy is celebrating his first Christmas, as he normally sleeps through the holiday during the long winter season. This could provide an opportunity to discuss hibernation and science. Froggy is so excited to learn the real meaning of Christmas! He learns about finding a tree, the perfect gift, and other traditional things that are done during Christmas time. But most importantly, Froggy learns the meaning of Christmas is being with family and friends, and the "spirit of giving".
Who would like this book? The illustrations are bright and colorful, and the story is cute and doesn't really have any conflict. It would appeal to the very young ages (K,1) keeping this in mind.
Profile Image for Patricia.
554 reviews
January 1, 2012
In this Froggy adventure, Froggy's friend Max, who is a beaver, takes him to find a Christmas tree so that Froggy can celebrate his first Christmas. Froggy usually sleeps in the winter. Froggy and Max are joined by Travis the bear, and Matthew the turtle. The four have a great time finding the tree and decorating it. Max's grandparents come over to help. all the Froggy books, at some point, Froggy's face ends up more red than green. In this story, it ends up more red than green when Froggy tries to put the star on the tree and makes it fall over. Funny! At the end, Froggy, his friends, and his parents have all had a wonderful Christmas.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Asho.
1,716 reviews8 followers
December 3, 2017
Every year my son's preschool teacher gives him a Christmas book as a Christmas gift, and this was the 2015 selection. It's one of those books that you can immediately tell must be part of a series featuring these characters, as there isn't much exposition. My three-year-old was puzzled about why Froggy knocks down the Christmas tree but then there are no repercussions and no clean up, so I had to make up some phrasing about Froggy not being hurt (his face is red because he's embarrassed, not injured), and about the family fixing up the tree.
It definitely isn't my favorite Christmas book, but it's cute and I'd be willing to try more Froggy books in the future.
Profile Image for Janet C-B.
587 reviews22 followers
April 26, 2013
I read this Froggy book with a child who is a beginner reader. We both enjoyed the story. It was cute, funny, included sounds effects, and had a positive message about the spirit. The book was also educational for child reader who lived in Florida. She had questions about hibernation, winter clothing, beavers, trudging through snow, live vs. artificial Christmas trees and more. I was surprised by how much of the content was new to her. Fun book. I hope I have the chance to read other Froggy Books in the future.
February 18, 2016
Froggy's Best Christmas was very fun to read with all the onamonapias. It made the book for interesting and fun to follow along with. This book also as a lesson that can be taken away from it. When you receive gifts it's not about what you get, but who you get it from that matters. The illustrations were very well done with lots of colors and details. The details went along with exactly what the story was saying to which gave the book a lot more depth. This book would be great for teaching kids about onamonapias and exposing what they mean while reading them.
Profile Image for Kelly.
557 reviews36 followers
February 11, 2017
WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THESE BOOKS?

DO FROGS EVEN HIBERNATE?

DO BEAVERS?

arghlknd jsldkjf idsjlkfd kjdn kjf kjdn kjdlfkkjf

Froggy is super-appealing to kids because they're easy, fun, and a little repetitive -- so kids know Froggy's going to do something silly, they know his mom will yell "FRRROOOOOOGGGGYYYYYY!!" to him, they know his will "flop flop flop" around -- and for all those same reasons, they are maddening for the adults who are reading them aloud.
Profile Image for Rosa Cline.
3,321 reviews40 followers
December 2, 2017
This is one of the better "Froggy" books from the series. Froggy usually sleeps through winter so has never celebrated Christmas. But his friend comes and wakes him up and teaches him about what Christmas is about friends and family! He has fun with his friends and his parents and learn the importance of this holiday and says it's his best one ever!
25 reviews1 follower
February 21, 2016
This book is a great book that strongly emphasizes friendship. It uses bright colorful pictures an onomatopoeias in order to help paint a strong and beautiful picture of Christmas. I chose this book because there's a lot of books by this author using the same characters, so we could tie the other books in later when we are talking about those specific concepts.
Profile Image for Kristen.
833 reviews
December 13, 2016
I have not kept up lately with the books I've read with my daughter! This was a cute Christmas book. Froggy books are always fun and it had a cute story about Froggy getting to experience his best Christmas yet.

My daughter was actually interested in this story and was attentive the whole time. The illustrations were bright and fun for a 2 year old. Cute book to read around Christmas.
Profile Image for Emo.
83 reviews3 followers
September 3, 2008
Any Froggy book is fun for 4-7 year old children, but this one is my favorite. I'm not sure about girls, but I've heard that boys love these books and Nicholas did! They are not a ton of fun to read over and over, but Nicholas like the repetition and fun words like zip, zop, zoop!
Profile Image for Joy.
1,579 reviews11 followers
April 9, 2015
Frrrooggyy!

Froggy and his friends and family celebrate Christmas. It's Froggy's first Christmas because he normally hibernates through it but Max wakes him up and they go looking for a Christmas tree.
28 reviews
Read
December 6, 2013
This is a book about a frog that is woken up to experience his first christmas. The pictures are very kid friendly and very colorful. This book shows that one animal is waking others from hibernation.
Profile Image for Meg McGregor.
3,913 reviews80 followers
July 18, 2019
Froggie is usually sleeping when the holidays roll around.

But this year, he is up, and celebrates his first (and best) Christmas.

Little ones will delight in the antics he pursues.

They will be able to identify with Froggy - trying to find the best tree, wrapping the best present, etc.
Profile Image for Meg McGregor.
3,913 reviews80 followers
January 6, 2015
Froggy is usually sleeping when the holidays roll around; but this year, he is woken up, and celebrates his first Christmas.

Little ones will delight in the antics he pulls; they will be able to relate with Froggy trying to find the best tree, wrapping the best present, etc.
Profile Image for Danielle Mootz.
810 reviews6 followers
December 12, 2015
This was our first of the froggy books in a bunch we got from Scholastic in time for Christmas. Cute story about froggy and his friend's first Christmas, waking from hibernation for the special occasion.
February 23, 2017
Max, the beaver, and Froggy, the frog, wake up on Christmas day to snow. This story goes through the adventures they have together, while Froggy realizes what Christmas is about. This book would be a fun read for younger children. It would also be good to have in a classroom library.
55 reviews
February 14, 2018
Froggy's Best Christmas is about a frog that goes through his very first Christmas. He goes through getting presents, the snow, and many adventures.
1. Christmas Theme
2. Teaching inferences
3. Compare and Contrast (Froggy's Christmas vs the students)
Profile Image for Melissa Namba.
2,107 reviews14 followers
February 23, 2017
a cute book. I like that it reflects that froggy, while an adolescent, is still not a year old yet, so this is his first Christmas. the story is the usual wonderment of Christmas.
Profile Image for Tracy Schillemore.
3,529 reviews7 followers
November 16, 2017
The thing that I like about Froggy books is that they are higher interest for older children but still easy enough for younger children. They are good books if you have a mixed audience.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 68 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.