Start by marking “Froggy's Best Christmas” as Want to Read:
Froggy's Best Christmas

Froggy's Best Christmas

(Froggy)

"The
Published September 23rd 2002 by Puffin Books (first published September 25th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Froggy's Best Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Froggy's Best Christmas

Start your review of Froggy's Best Christmas
Sheila
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, christmas
I'm star-rating this one for my daughter, because it is one of her favorite childhood Christmas stories. We have a whole collection of Christmas books that we have accumulated over the years, which come out and are on display in two large baskets right after Thanksgiving every year, then get boxed up after Christmas and stored away until the following year. This book is in that collection, and when the books came out this year, my daughter wanted this story to be one of the first ones we re-read ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Froggy wakes up and experiences his first Christmas. Ages 4-8.
Keri Dodson
Dec 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Loved adding a science lesson about hibernation to this simple read for my Kindergarten and First graders. Also I used the puppet- big hit!
N
This is the second book I've read this week that included waking up hibernating animals so that they could enjoy Christmas. Does it bother anyone else that this implies that enjoying Christmas is worth one's own health? Or that it's ok to force enjoying Christmas on people/ beings?

Like... I can see someone writing a really interesting paper comparing this to missionaries and colonialism and such. Anyone game? As I keep reading through our collection, I'll offer you more titles to include.
Cassidy
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is the story of a young and playful frog as he experiences Christmas for the first time. Froggy has heard a lot about the holiday, but has never experienced it since he is usually sleeping. His friend explains to him that Christmas is all about having fun with your friends and family as they gather their friends to pick out a Christmas tree. Froggy is not the only one who had to be woken up to experience the holiday celebrations. In the end of this sweet book, the frogs parents join ...more
Angie
Synopsis: "Froggy has never celebrated Christmas; usually he's taking his long winter's nap. But not this year! Froggy's best friend, Max the beaver, wakes him up to join the fun. Soon, Froggy's gotten into the swing of things: finding a tree, wrapping presents, singing carols, and enjoying a holiday feast. Join Froggy as he celebrates his very first, and very best, Christmas!"

My Review: This may not be the best book for bedtime, it is a very loud and very exciting book for little ones. All the
Lauren
Froggy's Best Christmas by Jonathan London with illustrations by Frank Remkiewicz is an enjoyable holiday tale of the real meaning of Christmas. Froggy is celebrating his first Christmas, as he normally sleeps through the holiday during the long winter season. This could provide an opportunity to discuss hibernation and science. Froggy is so excited to learn the real meaning of Christmas! He learns about finding a tree, the perfect gift, and other traditional things that are done during ...more
Patricia
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday
Asho
Every year my son's preschool teacher gives him a Christmas book as a Christmas gift, and this was the 2015 selection. It's one of those books that you can immediately tell must be part of a series featuring these characters, as there isn't much exposition. My three-year-old was puzzled about why Froggy knocks down the Christmas tree but then there are no repercussions and no clean up, so I had to make up some phrasing about Froggy not being hurt (his face is red because he's embarrassed, not ...more
Janet C-B
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this Froggy book with a child who is a beginner reader. We both enjoyed the story. It was cute, funny, included sounds effects, and had a positive message about the spirit. The book was also educational for child reader who lived in Florida. She had questions about hibernation, winter clothing, beavers, trudging through snow, live vs. artificial Christmas trees and more. I was surprised by how much of the content was new to her. Fun book. I hope I have the chance to read other Froggy ...more
Samantha
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Froggy's Best Christmas was very fun to read with all the onamonapias. It made the book for interesting and fun to follow along with. This book also as a lesson that can be taken away from it. When you receive gifts it's not about what you get, but who you get it from that matters. The illustrations were very well done with lots of colors and details. The details went along with exactly what the story was saying to which gave the book a lot more depth. This book would be great for teaching kids ...more
Kelly
Feb 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kidlit
WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THESE BOOKS?

DO FROGS EVEN HIBERNATE?

DO BEAVERS?

arghlknd jsldkjf idsjlkfd kjdn kjf kjdn kjdlfkkjf

Froggy is super-appealing to kids because they're easy, fun, and a little repetitive -- so kids know Froggy's going to do something silly, they know his mom will yell "FRRROOOOOOGGGGYYYYYY!!" to him, they know his will "flop flop flop" around -- and for all those same reasons, they are maddening for the adults who are reading them aloud.
Rosa Cline
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas, 2015, 2017
This is one of the better "Froggy" books from the series. Froggy usually sleeps through winter so has never celebrated Christmas. But his friend comes and wakes him up and teaches him about what Christmas is about friends and family! He has fun with his friends and his parents and learn the importance of this holiday and says it's his best one ever!
Kara Buck
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great book that strongly emphasizes friendship. It uses bright colorful pictures an onomatopoeias in order to help paint a strong and beautiful picture of Christmas. I chose this book because there's a lot of books by this author using the same characters, so we could tie the other books in later when we are talking about those specific concepts.
Kristen
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books, christmas
I have not kept up lately with the books I've read with my daughter! This was a cute Christmas book. Froggy books are always fun and it had a cute story about Froggy getting to experience his best Christmas yet.

My daughter was actually interested in this story and was attentive the whole time. The illustrations were bright and fun for a 2 year old. Cute book to read around Christmas.
Andd Becker
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it
The spirit of Christmas giving pervades the book. Froggy creates memories with Max the Beaver, Matthew the Turtle, and Travis the Bear. New traditions include finding and decorating a tree, opening presents, roasting chestnuts, singing carols, and having a snowball fight. Santa Owl makes a brief appearance at the end.
Emo
Sep 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Any Froggy book is fun for 4-7 year old children, but this one is my favorite. I'm not sure about girls, but I've heard that boys love these books and Nicholas did! They are not a ton of fun to read over and over, but Nicholas like the repetition and fun words like zip, zop, zoop!
Clarice Bolen
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
Max, the beaver, and Froggy, the frog, wake up on Christmas day to snow. This story goes through the adventures they have together, while Froggy realizes what Christmas is about. This book would be a fun read for younger children. It would also be good to have in a classroom library.
Emmy Ryan
This is a book about a frog that is woken up to experience his first christmas. The pictures are very kid friendly and very colorful. This book shows that one animal is waking others from hibernation.
Meg McGregor
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Froggie is usually sleeping when the holidays roll around.

But this year, he is up, and celebrates his first (and best) Christmas.

Little ones will delight in the antics he pursues.

They will be able to identify with Froggy - trying to find the best tree, wrapping the best present, etc.
Lisa Brown
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
We love the Froggy books, and this one is another great one. Froggy's friend, Max the beaver, wakes him up from his hibernating on Christma morning to share Christma with him. Very cute and a good message.
Meg McGregor
Froggy is usually sleeping when the holidays roll around; but this year, he is woken up, and celebrates his first Christmas.

Little ones will delight in the antics he pulls; they will be able to relate with Froggy trying to find the best tree, wrapping the best present, etc.
Danielle Mootz
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This was our first of the froggy books in a bunch we got from Scholastic in time for Christmas. Cute story about froggy and his friend's first Christmas, waking from hibernation for the special occasion.
Joy
May 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Frrrooggyy!

Froggy and his friends and family celebrate Christmas. It's Froggy's first Christmas because he normally hibernates through it but Max wakes him up and they go looking for a Christmas tree.
Kara Campfield
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-books
Froggy's Best Christmas is about a frog that goes through his very first Christmas. He goes through getting presents, the snow, and many adventures.
1. Christmas Theme
2. Teaching inferences
3. Compare and Contrast (Froggy's Christmas vs the students)
Melissa Namba
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: coplin
a cute book. I like that it reflects that froggy, while an adolescent, is still not a year old yet, so this is his first Christmas. the story is the usual wonderment of Christmas.
Miss Sarah
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Froggy and a few of his other hibernating friends are celbrarting Christmas for the first time. so cute. preschool and up
Sarah Wiwchar
Definitely not the most amazing piece of literature I've ever picked up.
Reija Viinikkala-Smith
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent story time book for young EFL students.
Tracy Morton
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The thing that I like about Froggy books is that they are higher interest for older children but still easy enough for younger children. They are good books if you have a mixed audience.

• Peef the Christmas Bear
  • Click, Clack, Ho! Ho! Ho!
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Clifford's Halloween
  • Home for Christmas
  • Diary of a Worm: Nat the Gnat (I Can Read!, Level 1)
  • The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything
  • Diary of a Fly
  • Rosie the Dragon and Charlie Make Waves
  • Les Miserables: A BabyLit® French Language Primer
  • The Animals' Santa
  • Dog Man: Brawl of the Wild (Dog Man, #6)
Jonathan London is the author of several celebrated children's books. His commitment to honoring the wonders of the natural world has been lauded by readers and critics alike. He is the author of more than 70 children's books, many of which are about nature. He's also the author of the popular Froggy series. He lives in Graton, California with his wife and two sons.

Froggy (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Froggy Gets Dressed