Start by marking “A Week in Summer: A Short Story” as Want to Read:

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  1,389 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
After many happy years of marriage and raising a family, Brian and Kathleen suddenly find themselves a bit lost in life. Midwesterners who’ve never traveled, Kathleen decides that what she and Brian need is a vacation, and with the help of an enthusiastic travel agent she plans a trip to Ireland in search of her roots. In beautiful, quaint Lisdoonvarna, to the couple’s sur ...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2011)

Denise
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A delightful, quick short story....
Donna Peake
Aug 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
Even in a short story Maeve reels you in with her characters. A woman who loves her husband & wants to experience a vacation with him. A husband who has lost his way after losing a job in his late 50's. The vacation of a lifetime that brought the two of them together over a poet.
Connie
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Maeve Binchey, but this was not one of her best stories; it just didn't have the usual heart and warmth to it.
Linda
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
I know it was a short story, but it was just odd. I think some authors are an acquired taste, and I'm not sure if I like Maeve Binchy or not.

The main character loved her husband, he was the love of her life, but he never wanted to do anything, he kept having to find new careers, and they didn't have anything in common. She was dying to go on vacation for years and never did because he didn't want to? It was just odd as I said before.
Julie
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great story about discovering each other in another country. I have to say a well woven story.
Lorraine
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story but I felt there was more to be said... it ended too soon.
Monica Reents
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-reads
I really enjoyed this very short story. It's about marriage, love, commitment, and supporting each other. It is a lesson we could all learn from. After being married for a few years, both of their children were off to school and camps, and having never taken a holiday together, an opportunity arises that allows them to have A Week in Summer to travel...however, it is only on an agreement that they do this.

Brian has a lot of talents and has had many jobs and therefore, the family has moved a lot
Colleen
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Maeve Binchy is one of my favorite storytellers. Her stories explore the lives of every day people and every day events. Her stories recognize and highlight the importance of friendship, struggle, relationships and community; and her writing style is unique in the way characters are described from the inside---not just the outside. You are sad when her characters display human failings; you are elated when they display kindness, heroism, and triumph. Her characters could be the butcher, the bake ...more
Elle
A Week in Summer: A Short Story

This was a very short story and the first book I've ever read by Maeve Binchy.

The story was about marriage, dedication to work and family, late-in-life parenting, and the lack of vacationing in this family's life.

Kathleen decides that since her husband has been let go of his teaching job, they have a week in summer that they can schedule a vacation; something they've never done before. Kathleen's husband Brian is depressed and really isn't interested in going anyw
Nancy
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maeve-binchcy
I didn't read the whole title, and I expected a book with several short stories. There was only one story, about a couple who were very much in love, but the husband was feeling very low. The couple had never taken a vacation, and the wife thought her husband could be helped by taking one. She could have gone on vacations by herself over the years, but she wanted to go with her husband. She went to a travel agent, who specialized in vacations for older adults. They need up going to Ireland, and ...more
Marianne
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Week In Summer is an eShort story by Maeve Binchy. Unusually for Binchy, this story is set partly in America, most probably as it is pitched at the US market, and partly in Ireland. The main characters are husband and wife, Brian Merman and Kathy Collins. The story is narrated by Kathy, who longs to go on a holiday with Brian, something that has never occurred in all their married life. When Brian faces a crisis in his career, Kathy somehow convinces him to take a Week in Summer to go Ireland ...more
Heidi
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read or listen to many Maeve Binchy books in the coming months in remembrance of a wonderful author. At Audible there are a number of short stories or plays which I had never heard of. My first was A Week in Summer which was read by Maeve herself. Unfortunately, it just did not work for me. It was a humorous look at an American couple who were looking for their way in life after the husband is suspended from teaching due to a remark at a parent/teacher day assembly. Perhaps it was M ...more
JayeL
January 14, 2017: I didn't appreciate this story after reading Heart and Soul and Minding Frankie. Of course, Maeve Binchy's reading was wonderful, but the story just didn't grab me.

2012: I am always pleased to hear Maeve Binchy read, but she read this book too fast. It was hard to appreciate her lovely text. I did like the story, though and will try to find another audio edition.
Faith
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I read this short story as a quick palate cleanser after the magnum opus I just finished. It fell flat with me. Binchy can write, and as I saw in the other book of hers, she can do short stories well, but this was too abrupt. It's 25 pages, but I felt like it either needed to be edited down to work better, or fleshed out more. As is, it was a disappointment.

Also, I chose this book thinking it was a companion to her work A Week in Winter, but it is a stand-alone, not tying in the guest house (tha
Hannie
Een kort verhaal van Maeve Binchy. Het is op zich wel een grappig verhaal. Het gaat over een echtpaar dat voor het eerst op vakantie gaat. Ze besluiten naar Ierland te gaan. Ik vind het verhaal iets te kort om echt indruk te maken. Net als je er een beetje inzit, is het al uit. In een half uurtje heb je het wel uit. Ik had een iets langer verhaal leuker gevonden. Al is het idee wel origineel uitgewerkt. Toch vind ik het in zijn totaliteit iets tegenvallen. Van Maeve Binchy ben ik meer gewend.
Denise
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This short story was brief but enjoyable, like all of Maeve Binchy's stories. The MCs are a late middle-age American couple who are both quite disappointed with life. The wife cuts a deal with the husband that they will finally take a week's vacation despite him being fired from his teaching job. They travel to Ireland to attend a week-long peotry festival and their lives are changed.
Darlene Andre
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This book looked at a relationship and a chance to look at life from a new perspective. A couple travels to Ireland on vacation. The wife hopes it will provide them with an opportunity to reconnect. The husband seems lost in his own world after losing his job. The trip brings them closer together with an interesting plot.
Regina
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Maeve Binchy. This is a very short story - you can read it in a half hour - but still with her signature heart and strong characters. 'A Week in Summer' is about a couple in their fifties, with children almost grown. Told from the wife's perspective, it gives you a little window into how a week-long holiday can totally change your outlook.
Lisa
Jun 13, 2016 added it
Shelves: short-stories
Maeve Binchy has a way of bringing her characters to life. Even in this short story she gets you to sympathize with Kathleen who is devoted to a husband who often doesn't always put in the effort she does. This is a story about marriage, and sticking with it through anything. I can see this short story as a very condensed version of Binchey'smany novels.
Mandolin
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-inventory
In a few brief pages, Maeve Binchy gives us everything that we love about her writing: captivating characters, an emotional plot and a nice pull on the heart-strings. Though it ends much too briefly, the story Brian and Kathleen's journey to Ireland and their reawakened love is one that left me feeling warm and fuzzy...just as I expected from Ms. Binchy! Lovely tale.
Jay
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Binchy narrates this short story in front of an appreciative crowd that starts off well mannered but ends up cracking up with some of her more obtuse lines. The story concerns a couple taking their first vacation in years in Ireland and stumbling into something like a TED conference. Felt a bit more edgy than her normal fare.
Lynne
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it
I was happy to read something specifically with more mature main characters, as that is where I am in life. I usually don't read short stories because I like to get in to something with more substance, but I enjoyed this. I like to read Maeve Binchy and so read this. There was a great lesson to be learned in this short read.
Andrea
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
This was a cute short story (I may be slightly cheating by listing it as a book). It's about a nice couple well into their middle years. The husband is in a funk and his wife is concerned on how to help him. She ends up booking a trip to Ireland where they rekindle their relationship a bit and the husbands is able to feel better. It's very sweet and Binchy like.
Sandy
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was ok

Paula
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
MB is a favorite of mine; I read one of her books every year or so. This one is a short story that ended up on my Kindle. Anyway, it is about a husband and wife who finally take a vacation to Ireland and they discover who they are as individuals, where they are as a couple after 18 years of marriage and the joy of making friends. Good story.
Sherry Fox
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
A breezy little tale from an amazingly prolific writer. Maeve was asked to speak at an event, so she whipped up this story just for the occasion. She was such a gifted storyteller! And it was a nice surprise to hear her read it. A lovely keepsake!
Kristy
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
She wasn't kidding about it being a short story--it took about 15 minutes to read! A lovely little story about the ups and downs in a marriage and the importance of supporting each other through the good times, and especially through the rough times. Dear Maeve Binchy: You're my favorite!
Debra L. King
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

In a brief space, Maeve Binchy creates characters who resonate with readers and whose stories touch us. I found myself routing for Brian and Kathy Merman and wishing I could go for "A Week in Summer."
Kabrina
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: maeve-binchy
I enjoy this author's style but this shirt story falls a little flat for me. It just seemed to fall into place too easily for me to get drawn into the story. However, in just 20 some odd pages, she did manage to make me care about the narrator and her family. Worth reading.
Clayton Yuen
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A short story that is long on meaning .... the meaning of marriage! Beautifully written in 22 pages, experience the reincarnation of a couple's long and dull marriage. Leave it to the Irish to bring back the life in an old and dull marriage.
  • Polly's Story (Swallowcliffe Hall)
  • The Valentine Wedding Dress
  • Maeve Binchy: The Biography
  • Finbar's Hotel
  • Sunlight and Joy: An eBook Original Short Story
  • A Favorite Son
  • A Green Journey
  • Home Is the Sailor (Irish Country)
  • In Session
  • Noah's Petting Zoo
  • The Life and Death of Lauren Conway
  • The World of Rosamunde Pilcher
  • Party Animal
  • Leaving Before It's Over
  • The Ballroom on Magnolia Street
  • The Way Men Act
  • A High Heels Haunting (High Heels, #4.5)
  • Everything She Thought She Wanted
Maeve Binchy was born on 28 May 1940 in Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland, the eldest child of four. Her parents were very positive and provided her with a happy childhood. Although she described herself as an overweight child, her parents' attitude gave her the confidence to accept herself for who she was.

She studied at University College Dublin and was a teacher for a while. She also loved travelin
More about Maeve Binchy...