Start by marking “Ahoy There, Little Polar Bear” as Want to Read:
Ahoy There, Little Polar Bear

Ahoy There, Little Polar Bear (Der kleine Eisbär #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  168 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Lars, the little polar bear who lives at the North Pole, is off on a new adventure. This time he's been accidentally scooped up in a gigantic fishnet and is heading into port aboard a ship. How will he ever get home? Luckily, Lars isn't the only four-feeted creature on board. Nemo, the ship's cat, comes up with a plan to get Lars home that just might work.
Published February 1st 1999 by NorthSouth (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Ahoy There, Little Polar Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ahoy There, Little Polar Bear

Soňa
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super príbeh o priateľstve, krásna kresba a príjemný pocit
Johara Almogbel
The more I read from my childhood library the more I appreciate my mum's impeccable taste in children's books.
Jenn Swanson
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quickie, fiction, children
A young polar bear wanders out and gets trapped by a net and ends up on a ship that takes him far from home. The story was adorable and so were the illustrations. My daughter seemed to enjoy this one. Would recommend.
Iain Robertson
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pgce
A wonderful little story about a young polar bear called Lars who is scooped up in a fishing boat’s nets. He finds himself on-board the vessel which is now heading away from the Arctic and back to port. This is where his adventures really begin. After extricating himself from the hold where all the caught fish are kept and whilst feeling lost and lonely he is befriended by Nemo who is the ship’s cat. Nemo promises to help Lars when they get to port. The story continues with Lars’s adventures aft ...more
Martiah Rall
Oct 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Ahoy There, Little Polar Bear was written and illustrated by Hans de Beer. The story is about a little polar beat names Lars who lives in the North Pole and gets swooped up by a fishing boat. On deck he meets a cat named Nemo who acts as a guide for him. They get off the boat at the port together and Lars gets introduced to all of the other cats while they work out a plan to get him back to the North Pole. This is a good book for first to third graders I think.

Some of the themes I noticed in th
Lauren Ritcey
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fab-40
Genre: International
Awards: None
Grade: 3-4
Comments: I would have the students read this book alone and then when they had all finished we would come together and then I would separate them into groups. Then when they were in groups I would give them pages of the book and they had to draw a picture of what is happening on their pages. This would be on big easel paper and when each group is done I would put them in order and hang them on the wall. This teaches the students about the idea of puttin
Petra
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much, it was the only one I wanted when they brought books for testing to the kindergarten. Having never used the book testing option before (I was too shy and humble to explicitly want anything when not directly asked), I totally misunderstood it and just took the sample book home. The next day, the kindergarten teacher had to send it to the company that gave out the sample books. XD
Dolly
Sep 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Adorable illustrations and heartwarming story about finding your way home. Our girls really enjoyed this story. Lars the little polar bear is a very engaging and entertaining character. We like the books in the Lars the Little Polar Bear series by Hans de Beer and I'm sure we'll look for more at our local library.
Sara Stalder
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My dad used to read this book to my sisters and I every night at bedtime. We were in love with Little Lars! In this one, Lars gets traped in a fish net, and gets taken onto a ship. He meets the cutest little cat Nemo (who was my favorite character; my dad would do the cutest little impression)who helps him find his way back home. This is probably one of my favorite books ever!
Matthew
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It kind of had an environmental undercurrent because the polar bear is so disgusted by the filth of humans and because he is accidentally captured by humans in a fishing net, but it is mostly a story of kindness between a cat and a polar bear. It's like and enjoyable. I would read it again. I have a feeling that kids would enjoy it too.
Amy Olson
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ahoy There, Little Polar Bear is a great book to use in the beginning of the school year to start building classroom community! Lars the polar bear gets lost he has to rely on a new found friend to get him home. Using this book can introduce students to friends and friendships and how they should treat each other.
Jamie
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay the first ever book I ever read in German! Although I did take 3 years of German in High School, I had a difficult time understanding this book which was probably aimed at children under 10. I did indeed make use of Google translate a few times but am proud to say I read a book in German!
Dani
All of these polar bear books require a suspension of disbelief beyond what I am willing to grant even a children's book. Still, my 4-year-old likes them, and they aren't horrible, just preposterous -- and not in a funny way.
Lulu
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
ONe of my favorite stories when I was younger. I took a look back and started crying. Beautiful illustrations.
Amar Pai
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Great art. Story is whatevs. I'm kinda numb to anthropomorphized animals and their zero-risk adventures at this point.
Donna-Lee
Feb 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Here is a great polar bear puppet that ties in nicely with the story...
Apr 20, 2011 rated it liked it
This books was really cute. It was a great book about friendship and I think kids would really like it. He also was on a journey, so you could use it in that theme as well.
Setja-Nerthe
I loved it as a child ^^ I can absolutely recommend it to everyone who has children.
Ingrid
Jul 23, 2012
Su Loch
Mar 15, 2016
Sirenity
rated it did not like it
Mar 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Somewhere in the Ocean
  • The Little Rabbit
  • Alphabet Rescue
  • Meister Eder und sein Pumuckl (Pumuckl #1)
  • The Bear
  • Maui-maui
  • Butterfly Kisses
  • The Market Square Dog
  • The Berenstain Bears Go Out to Eat
  • The Class from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #10)
  • Clifford and the Big Parade (Clifford)
  • The Night Before Easter
  • Just in Case You Ever Wonder
51959
Hans de Beer was born in Muiden, a small town near Amsterdam, in the Netherlands. He began to draw when he went to school, mostly when the lessons got too boring. In college, he studied history, but he was drawing so many pictures during the lectures that he decided to become an artist. He went on to study illustration at the Rietveld Academy of Art in Amsterdam . Hans de Beer's Little Polar Bear ...more
More about Hans de Beer...