Start by marking “In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories” as Want to Read:
In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories

In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  2,479 Ratings  ·  236 Reviews
Creak...
Crash...
BOO!

Shivering skeletons, ghostly pirates, chattering corpses, and haunted graveyards...all to chill your bones! Share these seven spine-tingling stories in a dark, dark room.
Published October 2nd 1985 by HarperCollins (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories

Caroline
Dec 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i liked the story of the girl whose head falls off so much that i got a baby doll when i was 3, named her Jenny, and tied a green ribbon around her neck, and then i'd untie it and i'd make her head fall off. when my parents figured out what it was supposed to be, they knew i would be weird forever.
Jen
This book is hands down one of my favorite children's books. My kindergarten teacher read this to us Halloween (1989) and I fell in love with it. The story of the little girl named Jenny with the ribbon around her neck really stuck with me. In middle school and high school I started asking people if they ever read a book with that story in it, or heard of it. No one did. As an adult I was determined to find it but I didn't remember what it looked like. Every Halloween season I would look in book ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Ignore the falsely innocent and cheery children's cover of this book. Despite being marketed towards kids, In a Dark, Dark Room contains mostly classic stories such as the ever-popular "The Green Ribbon", complete with cartoon illustrations of disembodied heads, men chasing girls through the forest and the like. Therefore, I'd recommend it more to preteen readers than children. Nevertheless, when I was in kindergarten, living in Ontario, my dad borrowed this for me from the public library and I ...more
Susan
Mar 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Oh, the memories! I remember my first grade teacher reading this book to me. VERY VERY scary. There were some scary stories which I somehow forgotten over my childhood/teenhood, but the one story I ALWAYS remembered and would randomly replay in my head is the story of THE GREEN RIBBON.

THE GREEN RIBBON............so it's about this girl named Jenny who always wore a green scarf/ribbon around her neck. Jenny marries a boy and the boy always asks Jenny why she has the scarf on. Jenny simply just sa
Ronyell
Dark

Now, I have been introduced to Alvin Schwartz’s works before through his famous and controversial “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” series and after I found out that Alvin Schwartz had written another pair of horror stories for children called “In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories,” of course I had to give this series a whirl!

This is a collection of horror stories for children and there is a total of seven stories being told in this book. The stories featured in this collect
Nicole
Mar 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
From the author of middle school favorite and frequently challenged Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, Alvin Schwartz’ In A Dark, Dark Room is a collection of seven stories written with a younger elementary school audience in mind. The Foreword sets the stage in describing why scary stories are liked and sets up the premise for the book “when there is no real danger, feeling scared is fun.” And it is fun.

The Zimmer’s illustrations incorporate the important spooky elements of the stories to demon
Bilgewater
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This is one of my favorite books of all time and one of the first books I ever read. The illustrations are spectacular and very creepy, and the stories are wonderfully told twists on classics. Perfect for kids and new readers, as well as anyone who wants a gentle but spooky read.
Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac,
David
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories by Alvin Schwartz, illustrated by Dirk Zimmer is a classic easy reader & short Halloween compilation. Schwartz brings scary stories plus a song & poem to level one readers in an effective mix sure to please. Dirk Zimmer's appropriately creepy illustrations have enough humor to entertain the younger audience for these stories. The introduction & info on where the stories originated are helpful and set the tone well. The Green Ribbon, The Te ...more
James
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Obviously for young kids. I remember reading this back in the '80s, and picking it up and taking the few minutes to read all of the stories and take in the artwork was a lot of fun. Just spooky enough for toddlers and elementary school kids before they dare enter the creepy world of the original "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" books, and just fun enough for adults looking for a quick shot of nostalgia during the Halloween season!
Michelle
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a book I remember from my childhood. A book I picked out of the school library constantly and then eventually on a used book sale at my school this book was for sale and I finally owned the exact copy.

Although it is somewhere in my boxes in the basement now, I will always remember this book as kinda spooky to me as a kid and nostalgic to me now :)
Elaine
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
The first few stories aren't at all spooky, but the stories become progressively scarier as you read further in.
Bree Decker
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Leigha's Little Library
This is a "I can read" book, but I feel like books should not have an age limit. This is cute and I believe kids and adults of all ages could enjoy it. I love the artwork by Dirk Zimmer.

"Have you seen the ghost of John? Long white Bones and flesh on g-o-n-e? Ooooooooh! Wouldn't it be chilly with no skin o-n?

Child me: 5 stars
Adult me: 4 stars

*For the first book in a "child/teen/middlegrade/nostalgic" book, I am going with the rating younger me would have gone with, then if I read on in the seri
Shanu
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actually scary.
Dolly
Jul 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Our girls have been reading Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz this summer and they love the tales. When we saw this kit at our local library, with a paperback book and CD, I just knew it would be a hit.

We listened to the stories on our way home and the spooky music and eerie narrative was creepy to listen to. I read the book once I got home and noticed that the illustrations weren't too creepy and that there are cute cats and dogs in
Andy
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book gave me the willies way back in first grade. It could very well be the first actual horror book I read. In fact, when my family moved to a new home and school district, this book got packed up with my belongings and I never returned it to the library. That would be some crazy overdue fee! I wish that I still had the book... Check out the video link for a narration of my favorite story in the book!

The Teeth

...and a few more, too...

The Green Ribbon
Lindsay
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
While reading a totally unrelated book, I came across a description of the Bloody Mary game (I'm sure we all remember cowering in front of a mirror, daring each other to chant those words). I was instantly thrown back in time, and this book came to the forefront of my memory. How could I have ever forgotten the girl in The Green Ribbon?! A must read! (Although, thinking back, I probably shouldn't have read this as young as I did)
Tracy
This is one of my favorite children's books. I used to love to read it around Halloween-time especially. My favorite story was the one about Jenny, the girl who wore the green ribbon around her neck. The story about the men with the exceedingly long teeth still creeps me out (long teeth and long fingernails are just super-creepy to me). I just re-read this a few years back and of course, it was not at all scary now, but still pretty classically cute.
ABC
Oct 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: early to mid elementary
Shelves: younger-kids
Well, even I thought this was scary. My mom sent it to us--I would never have bought such a scary book for my five year old. I asked him if he wanted me to read it. He looked through it and said, "Yes." So we read it, and he wanted me it again. So far he is fine with it, but I am not sure about later when it is dark.........

I think maybe it is better for ages seven and up.
Angelica
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has some freaky stories in here, my favorite story in here is called "The Green Ribbon" because the little girl has wore the ribbon all of her life and no one knows that if you take off the ribbon her head falls off.
Amanda Pedersen
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Normally I don't add all the children's books I read, but this was something I read a million times when I was a child. Revisiting it was glorious and I can't wait till my children are old enough to read it themselves.
Carina
Feb 04, 2017 added it
I can't believe I forgot about this book! This was probably the creepiest book I read growing up. I need to repurchase this and read it again.
Christine
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i read this book back when i was in elementary school and i loved it! the girl with the green ribbon story has stuck with me ever since! i have been trying to figure out what book i read it in and finally found this tonight thanks to a random and unrelated facebook posting.
Joanna
Oct 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple little scary stories, will be very fun to read aloud.
Christina
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
AND JENNY'S HEAD FELL OFF.

Still haunts me to this day.
ღjamesღchettaღ
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Anyone age 10 and up.
Some reviews found on the back of this book,which I agree with:

" Guaranteed to make your teeth chatter and your spine tingle." - School of Library Journal
Bookslut
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gillie, iris
This is so short I probably wouldn't have put it on our bookshelf if it hadn't been a bookclub book. But since the bitter librarian planned a craft and all...
Randy
Mar 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
I am old 41 3/4 years old. I though this book was boring for my age. The only good story in the book was the women that wore the green ribbon.
Crystal Velez
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awards: North Carolina Children's Book Award (1992)

Grades: 2nd-5th grade

Summary: This book contains a handful of short "scary" stories that are sure to entertain any child of all ages (Im an adult and I just got super exciting thinking about how much I loved this book at a child).

Review: Out of all of the books I have ever read growing up, I have to say that this book was one of the books that stuck with me the most. my favorite story was the one about Jenny a young girl who has a green ribbon t
  • The Tailypo: A Ghost Story
  • Secret Pizza Party
  • In the Haunted House
  • Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your Sleep
  • Mr. Maxwell's Mouse
  • That's Good! That's Bad!
  • Grandpa's Teeth
  • Martina the Beautiful Cockroach: A Cuban Folktale
  • What Mommies Do Best / What Daddies Do Best
  • We're Different, We're the Same
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • The Giant Jam Sandwich
  • They Called Themselves the K.K.K.: The Birth of an American Terrorist Group
  • The Teeny-Tiny Woman
Alvin Schwartz was the author of more than fifty books dedicated to and dealing with topics such as folklore and word play, many of which were intended for young readers. He is often confused with another Alvin Schwartz, who wrote Superman and Batman daily comics strips and a novel titled The Blowtop.
More about Alvin Schwartz...