Start by marking “Cows to the Rescue” as Want to Read:
Cows to the Rescue

Cows to the Rescue

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  376 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews

It's the day of the county fair!

Three-legged races, a “Smartest Pig” contest, the Ferris wheel—what could be more fun? But the Greenstalks’ car won’t start, so they’ll need some help getting there. . . .

Cows to the Rescue is the fabulous new book in John Himmelman’s hilarious barnyard saga. It follows Chickens to the Rescue and Pigs to the Rescue, bringing back the fu
Published September 13th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Cows to the Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cows to the Rescue

Kristen
This is part of Himmelman's funny series of farm animals to the rescue. The refrain "Cows to the rescue!" with the alternating page turns makes this a great chime-in read-aloud. Nice to add a dash of humor to farm units.
Heidi-Marie
2/13/18 Looking for something funny and Family related for F theme and Valentines. I love the chickens one. Tried this. Lots of smiles--especially with the Ferris wheel.

2/14/18 Closer in F theme. Lots of smiles. They also liked the Ferris wheel part because I asked if any of them had been on one, and if they were scared. "No! No! No. Well, I was a teeny bit scared." Then the confessions came out. Made ME smile. So they enjoyed seeing the cows scared on the Ferris Wheel.
Dolly
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a funny story about a family's trip to the County Fair. The repetitive refrain of "Cows to the rescue!" accompanied by hilarious illustrations make this book a hoot to read aloud. We really enjoyed reading this story together and our girls had a lot of laughs by shouting the refrain as we read it.

I didn't realize until reading other reviews that this book is part of a series by John Himmelman. We read Chickens to the Rescue several years ago, and now we'll have to borrow Pigs to the Res
Hamster
Okay, this book was only seriously funny because it was so wacky, but you can't argue with pigs in graduation gowns. And I wanted to frame the illustration of a cow doing a three-legged-race with a duck. Someone either needs to get this Himmelman character a literary award or find him some medication.
Julie Lewis
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Funny!
Melissa
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The hilarious highjinks of the Greenstalk's farm animals continues as the cows come to the rescue. This time it is time for the county fair and Farmer Greenstalk's car won't start. COWS TO THE RESCUE! Duck gets dirty before the duck contests. COWS TO THE RESCUE! The pigs forgot to study for the pig tests. COWS TO THE RESCUE! Mrs. Greenstalk doesn't have anyone to take funny pictures with. COWS TO THE RESCUE! By the end of the day the cows and Greentalks are tuckered out so who will come to the r ...more
SaraKat
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The third in the 'to the rescue' series. The cows are as terribly helpful as the pigs and chickens were. One picture was maddening because I couldn't find a cow eavesdropping in the carnival ride picture. It drove me crazy!
Suzanne Kunz Williams
Everyone loves helpers.

**Talking points - how do you like to help out? Which ways does your family need you to help?
Roben
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rescue, storytime
GO cows! Always there when you need them.
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: farm-daze
This is a funny book about cows saving the day at the county fair. It is great for discussing teamwork. The kindergarteners-1st graders and I talked about what was going on in the pictures
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This book is hilarious. The text drives the story for the illustrations to shine. Farmer Greenstalk and the animals are beset with problems to solve during the day, not a problem as Cows to the Rescue! Whenever I read the refrain I wanted to shout it out like I was super-hero. The illustrations are colorful and simple, and the cows have a lot of personality. One of my favorites is the cows on the ferris wheel, where you have the calm one, the biting nails one, the I must cover my eyes one, and t ...more
Karen
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
My four-year-old son picked this book out from the library earlier this week.

This book had my son and I both laughing. That is a very good thing. Those cuckoo-cows!

My son, who can only read a few words, was able to "read" the refrain "Cows to the Rescue!" by the second or third time. That was very exciting for both of us. I think the three-legged race was my favorite part of the story, but it was all good. The whole story was very funny.

The illustrations, while not my favorite style, suit the
Peacegal
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it
The vibrant and humorous illustrations will keep kids laughing, and they'll no doubt enjoy the frequent refrain of "cows to the rescue!"

On a more mature note, I do wish children's authors would cease depicting county fairs as animal amusement parks in which farm animals enter "smart pig" or "handsome duck" contests. In reality, most farm animals on show at county fairs are auctioned to slaughter at the fair's conclusion.
Danica Midlil
The first one, Chickens to the Rescue by John HimmelmanChickens to the Rescue, is by far the best one. This one was just disappointing.
Ileana Lindner
These stud-like cows have everything under control, so no need to worry. This book series takes different points of view of animals on a farm that solve everyday "problems". This is a fun book for students of early childhood settings to read pre-k through 1st grade. It is an easy book for students to read, and a fun book for teachers to read to students.
Taryn
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, storybook
I just love how the cows (and other animals) are drawn as actual cows (with what seem to be joints and bones in anatomically correct places) but moving in human ways (like running, pointing, etc.). It's hilarious to see the pictures and to think of cows doing the things they have the cows do. It's fun and messy for the whole family.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cows, humor, rescues, fairs, farms
This has all the charm and fun of his other two (chickens and then pigs to the rescue).

Now it's the cows turn to help out the Greenstalk family. The Greenstalks are headed to the local fair where they encounter a variety of problems that are quickly dispatched by the intrepid cows.

Illustrations are fantastic!

Nola
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It's the day of the county fair, but the Greenstalk family keep having problems. First the car won't start, then Little Jeffrey doesn't have a partner for the three-legged race, then Ernie the duck gets dirty right before the Handsomest Duck Contest. No matter what problem comes up during the day, it's 'Cows to the Rescue!'.

Some interesting scenarios and fun pictures.
L
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A perfect storytime picture book! Children will enjoy repeating the refrain loudly "cows to the rescue!" Children can also brainstorm how the cows will solve each problem before the pages turned. Himmelman's illustration will have young readers laughing hysterically.
Shanshad Whelan
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not bad for a continuing theme in these books. Still like Chickens to the Rescue the best out of all of them, but Cows to the rescue is cute and funny with lots of chuckle-worthy moments. Poor Ernie the duck!
Christine
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fun story of group of cows pitching in when farm family runs into trouble getting to and participating in County Fair. There's evidence of a lookout cow if you hunt for one on all but one of the pages where the dilemma is being identified. Did I miss the cow at the Ferris Wheel?
Sharon Lawler
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
The County fair is in full swing, and the Greenstalk family don't want to miss one single minute. From a car that won't start, to a bunch of unprepared pigs, the cows solve one problem after another. The storytime set will delight in saying "Cows to the rescue", the repetitive refrain.
Angie
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It is the day of the county fair and things keep going wrong. But who will help...why the cows of course. The cows come to the rescue time after time until the day is done and everyone is exhausted. This is a fun book with cute illustrations.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-visits
If you enjoyed Chickens to the Rescue and Pigs to the Rescue, you will love Cows to the Rescue. Himmelman is a clever creator to take popular farm animals and have them assist in a number of hilarious situations!

Theme: Cows
Additional themes: farm animals, help, county fair
Shelli
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
John Himmelman is a master at writing engaging, interactive, simple books for young readers. The entire collection of animals "to the rescue" will be a hit with any elementary classroom or with just a silly read with your own child. Kids will want to read them all again and again. Love them!
Matthew
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-books
This, like the other books in the series, is hilarious. These cows go through all kinds of trouble while getting their farming family through the state fair. In short, I loved it, and an audience of kids would it too.
Literacy Group
Oct 20, 2013 added it
Shelves: fantasy
On the day of the county fair nothing seems to be going right. Luckily the cows are there to rescue the day! They do everything from tutoring the pigs to posing for a family picture!

Grade PreK - 3
Heather
Niki (Daydream Reader)
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy the pictures in this book. Pretty Funny!
Gray
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved the artwork.
Janna
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-farm
Loved this book, especially the illustrations. I think it would be a fun, silly read for storytime.
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • If You're Hoppy
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • More Bears!
  • Sylvie
  • Moo!
  • The Farmer's Away! Baa! Neigh!
  • Ducks Don't Wear Socks
  • The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo
  • The Wheels on the Bus
  • Lazy Daisy, Cranky Frankie: Bedtime on the Farm
  • Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance
John Himmelman is the author and illustrator of more than sixty books for children, including Chickens to the Rescue. He lives in Connecticut with his family.

According John's Facebook page, he has been "making up stories and scribbling pictures since I could hold a crayon in my hand. It became my job in 1981, when my first book, "Talester the Lizard" was published during my last year in college (S
More about John Himmelman