Start by marking “Captain Swing and the Electrical Pirates of Cindery Island” as Want to Read:
Captain Swing and the Electrical Pirates of Cindery Island

Captain Swing and the Electrical Pirates of Cindery Island

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  397 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
A young cop in 1830’s London is hot on the trail of Captain Swing and his band of Electrical Pirates, futuristic villains who sail the very sky!

From the sparking-mad mind of Warren Ellis, the creator of TRANSMETROPOLITAN and PLANETARY, comes an electrical romance of a pirate utopia thwarted!  In the London of 1830, newly-minted copper Charlie Gravel keeps seeing t
Published December 6th 2011 by Avatar Press

Be the first to ask a question about Captain Swing and the Electrical Pirates of Cindery Island

Sesana
Sep 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, steampunk
Great execution, but it still feels slight. The thing is, Ellis needs to do a certain amount of world building to make the story comprehensible. And this is a very short book. So major things happen very quickly, characters enter and leave the story in a rush, and it all just feels so short changed. Doubling the page count (which still wouldn't have made this book terribly long) with the same story would have been a much better move. As it is, I feel like I read the summary version of a longer s ...more
Sam Quixote
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
In the 19th century, before the more famous Jack the Ripper, was the myth of Spring Heeled Jack, a disturbing night creature who was said to leap buildings in a single bound and got up to all sorts of mischief. Warren Ellis resurrects the urban myth and rewrites it in a steampunk fashion with the help of Raulo Caceres to become Captain Swing and the Electrical Pirates of Cindery Island.

It's 1830, years before Nikolai Tesla would begin experimenting with electricity, and yet somehow this strange
47Time
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-fiction
This steampunk story was quite enjoyable with its flying ship, electricity-based weapons and other devices, and an idealist wanting to make free energy available to everyone. The powers that be won't allow this, so his is an upward battle that will leave many dead in its wake. He and his followers are branded rebels and, like always, their side is at a distinct numeric disadvantage, but they won't go down without a fight.

London in the 1800's didn't yet have a professional, well-trained and well-
Michelle M
Steampunk electric pirates try to protect Victorian England from a plot to rule the world.

The thought of pirates flying an electrified ship around the sky is great, and some of the images were fun. The art was pretty dark and cluttered though, it was hard to tell what was happening. The story felt far too stretched out, there's only so many long chase scenes I can handle and that was about five years ago during the last Locke & Key (overused trope, thankyouverymuch), and it felt cold.

Anywa
Martin
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Warren Ellis and Raúlo Cáceres, who collaborated on Crecy, bring us this tale of London-based Victorian-era pirates with a steampunk flavour. It's got interesting tid-bits of facts & historical information interspersed with the main comic, things that not everybody would know, and that helps put the story in context, of sorts. The story itself is okay, with the usual Ellis-ness about it (language & action), and the art is nice, albeit a bit dark. What I mean by that is that since most (i ...more
Mike
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good sharp writing - bastardly good writing I'd say. But feels a bit slight, like Ellis had a good set of ideas but didn't spend as much time as usual inhabiting them until all the nuances came into focus.

Love every time Ellis comes at us with his slightly feral notions of what the future looks like to the slightly curious but guileless bystander. It's fun to experience that sense of wonder and glee at seeing behind the curtain and wonder what else is going on just outside my doors that only Ell
Paul
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Steampunk meets 18th Century London meets "Wood-Carving"-like artwork in this quick story by Warren Ellis.
It was OK, not something that needs pursuing, but I guess Ellis just had to put in his 2-cents worth in the steam punk phenomena at one point or another.
This book was another gracious give-away by fellow Goodreads afficanado Martin - Merci Martin.
David Schwan
A steampunk pirate adventure. Nikolas Tesla is one of the bad guys--I'm not sure why people find it a useful meme to make Telsa a bad guy. The good guy chases a pirate ship and in the end the pirates are good guys. Very darkly drawn graphics.
Florin Pitea
Sep 24, 2016 rated it liked it
It was O.K. as a story, reasonably well drawn, nicely packaged. However, it does not invite a second reading.
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

There's a really good concept lurking at the heart of this story - Elektro-Punk extraoardinaire with pirates, bow street runners, coppers, and crooked politicians thrown in for fun. And yet, despite a clear arc with some interesting thoughts contained therein, this feels very slight. 3-4 pages of art and then a full page text info dump transition doesn't fail as much as it could but somehow manages to feel a bit lazy.

Tha
mediumlysocial
Goodreader, this was an interesting one. I saw this on the library catalogue during one of my idling about searches and thought 1)Warren Ellis? Don't I have a really awful book by him I really like? & 2)Electrical priates? Futuristic villains sailing in the skies? Sailing? In the skies? Pirates? After I calmed the inner eight year old, I decided to read this.

My initial enthusiasm was slightly dampened when I started reading. I'm not entirely sure why, but I found myself rolling my eyes and
Lucia
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Il racconto parla di uno "scienziato/pirata" che scopre nel 1830 l'elettricità e riesce con essa a compiere cose strabilianti (ad esempio ci fa volare il suo galeone).
La narrazione segue il punto di vista di un poliziotto (simbolo dell'ordine e della legge) che inizialmente lotta contro il capitano per unirsi poi alla ciurma "a modo suo". La ciurma è infatti costituita da personaggi di diverse storie, estrazioni sociali, scopi e culture.
Una loggia massonica londinese è riuscita ad entrare in pos
Kelly
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, fantasy
I don't usually read comics or graphic novels, largely because my visual impairment often makes it hard to appreciate them. But I found this in a sale bin and since A) Ellis had been highly recommended and B) i'm a sucker for things set in the Victorian era (and also quite fond of pirates), I thought I'd give it a try. There's some interesting philosophy here, particularly about scientific exploration, and I like what world building there is (alternate history, etc.) and the characters. But with ...more
Variaciones Enrojo
Edición española a cargo de Glénat.
Alan
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
I enjoy Warren Ellis the most when he exhibits his maturation as a writer. In other words he avoids his usual tropes (profanity, snarkiness, etc.) and tries to stretch himself as a writer. Captain Swing continues the trend of his improvement as a writer. Oh, he does resort to some of his usual tricks, but nowhere near as much as he does in his work-for-hire books (this is a creator owned work). We get a little bit of a history lesson about 17th Century London (Peelers and Bow Street Runners in p ...more
Lori
Jun 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
A swing and a miss, here. Steampunk and piracy link up for an uneven plot of electricity vs. some unidentified energy source known as a meteorite from Mars. Sorta. Mostly the story follows an uneducated policeman who finds himself aboard the flying ship of Captain Swing, who is really a "Natural Philosopher" with grand ideas of giving away free electricity via knowledge to revolutionize the lives of the common man. Pitted against him seems to be the London elite in the form of a corrupt magistra ...more
Lissibith
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Well, that was interesting.

I hear sometimes that a great many writers initially start their story too early and end it too late and need to trim in to get to the right length for the final product. In this case, it feels like maybe it trimmed a bit much.

We're following a cop as he deals with the electric pirates. The story basically starts and ends with his entrance and exit of the pirates' story. And the problem is, he's probably the least engaging character in the story, so it feels like the s
Nicolas Ronvel
Mouais ...

Pas très convaincu par ce comics. Pour commencer, j'ai eu un peu de mal avec les dessins, comme dans No Hero. Les visages et les formes sont parfois bizarres, et la violence et les giclées (de sang ou de cervelle) sortent parfois sans raison. Juste pour faire style ?

Pour l'histoire, on survole rapidement une tranche de vie d'un pirate philosophe, mais les tenants et les aboutissants de tout ça ne sont pas clairs, car pas explicités. La conclusion n'en est pas vraiment une, et laisse à
Travis
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Warren Ellis mixes some history of the London police force, the legend of Spring Heel Jack, a couple nods to his 'Doktor Sleepless' series with some cool steam punk ideas and comes up with a weak, one note story that feels like the set up to a bigger story than anything strong enough to stand on its own.

Can't tell if Ellis has just gotten lazy or if there is more to come and we just haven't seen it because he seems incapable of finishing anything lately.

Cool ideas, okay characters that feel more
Ben
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Set in 1830s London, the story of Captain Swing, a science pirate, his crew and the young copper who accidentally joins forces with him. The story, ultimately, is a lot like other Warren Ellis stories...the rich and powerful have something that gives them power and the hero wants to share it with the masses. I was actually more interested in the story of the London police, who had been recently formed, and the private police forces, run by the magistrates, who were often made up of former thieve ...more
Fraterno Dracon Saccis
Una historia que siembra grandes conceptos pero de una cosecha pobre. Los paneles que introducen al contexto histórico afectan bastante el ritmo. La relación del Capitán Swing con el Bobby parece demasiado apresurada, como la mayoría de los hechos, que se apuran para llegar a un desenlace insípido. En resumen, una lectura que va de más a menos. El arte de Raúlo Cáceres tiene momentos brillantes sobre todo en las escenas de acción y los cuadros panorámicos.
Alex Sarll
Fairly Ellis-by-numbers with its inventive swearing, science bastard, kick-ass female sidekick and knowledge-hoarding authority-figure villains. But having a non-maverick cop as the hero mixes things up a bit, and the vision of an electrical pirate ship flying above the London fog is wonderfully Peter Pan. Also, while it may share certain visual cues, the clue is in the question as to why this really shouldn't be considered steampunk.
Mikael Kuoppala
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Wild, chaotic and clearly very much Warren Ellis, “Captain Swing” is a wild adventure filled with equally wild characters and situations so extreme they provide a perfect means for healthy escapism. This isn’t Ellis at his best, though, and he seems to recycle a few elements too many from his previous masterpieces. Might grow into a substantial series like the master’s classic, outwardly farcical political dystopia “Transmetropolitan”.
Dru
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: a-graphic-novel
It seems to me I read the first issue a few years ago, so I was pleasantly surprised to find the collected edition finally on sale. It's good, not nearly as epic as I was hoping, the story takes place over two nights, and doesn't go very deep into the world that Ellis has created. The art is fine, distinctive, and sufficiently dark and dirty for this story.
Bill
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this graphic novel very much. I liked the art work, the colouring and the story which was well-presented and developed. I also liked the concept, a steam punk story set in England when the Bobbies (Peelers) and Bow Street Runners are still new on the ground and Captain Swing is experimenting with electricity. The story moved along well and held my interest throughout. Most enjoyable.
Dec 03, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm intrigued enough to keep reading this title. It's a fun steampunk pirate adventure in Victorian London, with some interesting ideas about the tension between individual freedom and the rule of law. I was not a fan of Caceres' art. I found it rather dark (visually, not just emotionally) and overally busy.
Jacob
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great art and story albeit the flow of the sequential art/story was constantly interrupted every other page or so with what reads as a letter from Captain Swing...much in the same way a silent film has its dialogue written out on the screen. Personally, I'd have preferred that sort of thing at the back of the book.
George Ilsley
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, graphic
Confused. Or is it confusing? I had trouble understanding this. Many of the characters looked similar, so the fight scenes are incomprehensible. Reading this volume, I thought that I had lost my ability to understand graphic fiction. Despite the countless hours spent on comic books . . . yes, let's just blame this one on now feeble abilities to parse words and pictures.
a.h.s. boy
Mar 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The setting was good, the minor history of London policing interesting, the steampunk flavor was appealing, the illustration was lovely, but ultimately this just didn't go anywhere. After the 4th installment, it simply felt like I'd just read the introduction to a more elaborate and non-existent story.
Alfredo
Los personajes son buenos y la historia también, y aunque el dibujo es precioso, la historia avanza demasiado rápido. Supongo que en realidad ésta es una adaptación de una novela, porque o si no no se explica.
  • Lady Mechanika #0 (The Demon of Satan's Alley)
  • The Five Fists of Science
  • Black Panther: The Man Without Fear, Volume 1: Urban Jungle
  • Shanghai Sparrow
  • The Doctor and the Kid (Weird West Tales, #2)
  • Girl Genius Omnibus Volume 1: Agatha Awakens (Girl Genius, #1-3)
  • The Art of Steampunk
  • 1,000 Steampunk Creations: Neo-Victorian Fashion, Gear, and Art
  • Baltimore, Vol. 1: The Plague Ships (Baltimore, #1)
  • Colonial Comics: New England, 1620 - 1750
  • Astro City, Vol. 8: Shining Stars
  • Agamemnon Frost and the House of Death (Agamemnon Frost, #1)
  • Flaming Zeppelins: The Adventures of Ned the Seal
  • Rocketeer Adventures Volume 1
  • The Immersion Book of Steampunk
  • Adventures of Luther Arkwright  (Luther Arkwright, #1)
  • The One
  • The Man Who Laughs (SelfMadeHero)
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more
More about Warren Ellis...