Start by marking “The Red Balloon” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Red Balloon

Albert Lamorisse

The Red Balloon

An enduring children's classic. The story of a young boy and his best friend, a red balloon. The balloon follows the boy everywhere. A New York Times Best Illustrated Book of the Year.
Published February 23rd 2004 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Balloon, please sign up.
Emily Our 5-yr-old and 1.5-yr-old both enjoyed it in their own ways. I'd say this book is most suitable for preschool to early elementary school kids.

Berfin Kanat
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okuduğum ilk kitap =)
N.N. Light
This was a childhood favorite book of mine and I still love it to this day. A sweet story about a young boy and his best friend who happens to be a red balloon. What makes this book so special are the photographs of Paris as the boy wanders around the city. Highly recommend!

My Rating: 5 stars
Rebecca McNutt
Based on the famous 1956 French Kodak short film, The Red Balloon is a dazzling, creative book that anyone can read, telling the story of a little boy and the powerful companionship he has with his imaginary friend, a bright red balloon.
Lisa Vegan
I'm not sure why I bought and read this book. Mastery over trauma? Because when I was in elementary school, whenever it rained and we couldn't go outside into the play yard for the bulk of our lunch period, they'd herd us all into the auditorium, and show us the film The Red Balloon. To me, it was a sad story about loss whose ending did not console me at all. Ah well.
Özgür Daş
Mutluluk niçin bu kadar kısa sürüyordu?
(s. 74)
Kelly
Dec 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book from childhood.
Ginta Harrigan
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: international
“The Red Balloon” is actually a French film short that was released in the 1950’s. I saw the film a few years ago but did not remember much from it. Reading the book brought back memories of the film.

I loved this book. I love the relationship between Pascal and his friend the red balloon. The balloon is an inanimate character that has animate qualities. The balloon accompanies Pascal everywhere and often lands him in a lot of trouble. The story is told with humor and sensitivity. I predict chil
Esther Barajikian
"The Red Balloon" is a fanciful picture book that captures the imagination of primary readers. The book tells the story of a lonely little boy, Pascal who becomes friends with a big red balloon. They have many adventures on the streets of Paris. The strength of their friendship is tested and proved to be true. I gave the book a 4-star rating for several reasons. The pictures are beautiful still photographs taken from a film entitled "The Red Balloon" that was produced in 1956. Many of them are b ...more
GoldenjoyBazyll
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Shelves: children
I got this book 29 years ago from my forner mother in law when I began my student teachinbg assignment with Kindergarteners. it had belonged to my former husband and she said it had been one of his favorites. Well, one day I brought a blown up red balloon (helium) to school inside of a box (I called it my magic box) and sat the children down at circle time. I told them that something very special was inside of the box and had them guess. When I opened the box and the balloon popped our everyone ...more
April-lyn
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I ever read in the school library that wasn't on the shorter shelves specifically for kids. I remember asking the librarian to take it off the shelf for me in first grade because I couldn't reach it. I don't really remember anything about this book except that I loved it. I should find a copy and revisit it now, 23 years later
Victoria
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I remember seeing a movie that mirrored this book; not sure which was made first? I had a little-girl-crush on the boy in the movie and whose picture is in this book.
Rebecca
I still think about this movie sometimes. It was magical, and surely contributed to my thinking that objects could be alive and have feelings, and stories didn't need words.
Karen Dransfield
A rather odd story about a boy and a magical balloon that follows him around a bit like a pet. The photo's are from the film that the book is based on.
Fed
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A children's story with great significance. Highly recommended.

The things that we treat with respect and care will always come back to us.
Suzy
The movie is phenomenal. The book is for kids (and grown ups) who love the movie.
Johnny
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the book The Red Balloon, there is a little boy who is having a hard time with friends and wants more. He then finds a huge red balloon and they immediately become "best friends". This little boy goes throughout his regular day, but he can't take the balloon with him in some places like on the train or while he's at school. He finds ways to hide the balloon or give it to other people to take care of. He builds a great friendship with this inanimate object. Friendship can be strengthened when ...more
Ryan
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Le ballon rouge [The Red Balloon], also written and directed by Albert Lamorisse, is, along with another of his features Crin blanc: Le cheval sauvage [White Mane], one of my favorite Family/Children's films ever, both of which I was fortunate enough to have been introduced to as a child by my Mom. So when I saw the tie-in book of the former at my neighborhood "Little Library," I decided to pick it up and give it a quick read to see how it compared. Unsurprisingly given its sharing a creator wit ...more
Cheryl
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't get it. Nice enough story if you empathize, could certainly be considered a timeless fable I suppose, but it just doesn't do much for me. Also it makes me even less interested in visiting Paris; I do not know the appeal. I do love Pascal's little suit, though. And I empathize with his old mother; clearly she didn't expect a child at her time of life.

(Never saw the movie; maybe I'd like it better or see more in it.)
Marie
The Red Balloon is a classic from France from the middle of last century. It's great for it's day; ok for this day. All photographs for illustrations, which is neat; mostly black-and-white which is not so neat in a book focused on a red balloon.

Joe, for some reason, loves it. It's super long for a toddler, but he loves it. No clue why.

Children's Picture Book Summarized: Boy finds balloon, skips school, skips church, gets mugged, gets high.
Volkert
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
A book I enjoyed reading aloud to my daughter. Adapted from the film of the same title, with photos taken during the shooting of the film. A balloon befriends a little boy, but its presence keeps getting him into trouble.
Marie
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming little book of imagination and joy. This book is referenced in Liam Callanan's Paris By the Book, which is on my to read list. So, thought I'd prepare!
Bex Hen
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of favorites growing up. My children love it as much as I do. The photos are so lovely.
Susan
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-shelf
A favorite.
Leonie
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was read this story over and over when I was in primary school (in preps and grade 1).
Amy
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
3.5 stars.
Chhanda
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love for the red balloon
Cindy Nguyen
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very creative and sweet
Dan
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked how this book was a classic, but the ending kinda made me go "what?" a little bit.
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My adventurous five-year-old wasn't sure what to make of this book when she first saw it, but eventually the magic caught her interest. By the end of the story, she was convinced it was true and was wishing for her very own red balloon. My eight-year-old enjoyed the book as well.
Amy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredibly sweet story, with darling images of Paris.

• A Hundred Million Francs (Le Cycle de Louvigny, #1)
  • Anno's Journey
  • The Happy Lion
  • The Duchess Bakes a Cake
  • National Geographic Kids Almanac 2013
  • What Do You Do, Dear?
  • Sir Cumference and the Viking's Map (Charlesbridge Math Adventures)
  • Marguerite Makes a Book
  • Crictor
  • Selected Short Stories
  • Lolita: The Story of a Cover Girl: Vladimir Nabokov's Novel in Art and Design
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • Suite Vénitienne/Please follow me