Start by marking “The Red Balloon” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Red Balloon

Albert Lamorisse

The Red Balloon

An enduring children's classic. The story of a young boy and his best friend, a red balloon. The balloon follows the boy everywhere. A New York Times Best Illustrated Book of the Year.
Published February 23rd 2004 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Balloon, please sign up.
Emily Our 5-yr-old and 1.5-yr-old both enjoyed it in their own ways. I'd say this book is most suitable for preschool to early elementary school kids.

Start your review of The Red Balloon
Spencer Orey
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
The mean kids and the adults are awful! And the balloon rescue at the end is great.
Bionic Jean
Have you ever had an imaginary friend? Perhaps a secret friend, but one whom nobody but you ever sees? Usually such a friend disappears for ever when a real friend comes to take their place. But what if this friend can be seen by all: it is not human - not even a living creature - but an inanimate object?

Such is the twist in this tale. A lonely little boy, Pascal, has a friend who is loyal, spirited, brave and naughtier than he is, and everyone can see this friend. They react with envy or annoya
Lisa Vegan
I'm not sure why I bought and read this book. Mastery over trauma? Because when I was in elementary school, whenever it rained and we couldn't go outside into the play yard for the bulk of our lunch period, they'd herd us all into the auditorium, and show us the film The Red Balloon. To me, it was a sad story about loss whose ending did not console me at all. Ah well.
Rebecca McNutt
Based on the famous 1956 French Kodak short film, The Red Balloon is a dazzling, creative book that anyone can read, telling the story of a little boy and the powerful companionship he has with his imaginary friend, a bright red balloon.
N.N. Light
This was a childhood favorite book of mine and I still love it to this day. A sweet story about a young boy and his best friend who happens to be a red balloon. What makes this book so special are the photographs of Paris as the boy wanders around the city. Highly recommend!

My Rating: 5 stars
Deborah
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france
Based on the 1956 movie, Le Ballon Rouge, this adaptation of the film with photographs follows a boy’s friendship with a red balloon in Paris. Pascal espies a red balloon and after catching it spends the day with the balloon. However, the balloon has a mind of its own and despite efforts to separate them, the red balloon follows and protects Pascal. Friendships come in all packages and shapes if you believe. A charming and moving tale of the innocence and the imagination of a lonely boy.
Kelly
Dec 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book from childhood.
Ginta Harrigan
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: international
“The Red Balloon” is actually a French film short that was released in the 1950’s. I saw the film a few years ago but did not remember much from it. Reading the book brought back memories of the film.

I loved this book. I love the relationship between Pascal and his friend the red balloon. The balloon is an inanimate character that has animate qualities. The balloon accompanies Pascal everywhere and often lands him in a lot of trouble. The story is told with humor and sensitivity. I predict chil
Esther Barajikian
"The Red Balloon" is a fanciful picture book that captures the imagination of primary readers. The book tells the story of a lonely little boy, Pascal who becomes friends with a big red balloon. They have many adventures on the streets of Paris. The strength of their friendship is tested and proved to be true. I gave the book a 4-star rating for several reasons. The pictures are beautiful still photographs taken from a film entitled "The Red Balloon" that was produced in 1956. Many of them are b ...more
GoldenjoyBazyll
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Shelves: children
I got this book 29 years ago from my forner mother in law when I began my student teachinbg assignment with Kindergarteners. it had belonged to my former husband and she said it had been one of his favorites. Well, one day I brought a blown up red balloon (helium) to school inside of a box (I called it my magic box) and sat the children down at circle time. I told them that something very special was inside of the box and had them guess. When I opened the box and the balloon popped our everyone ...more
Bern
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this for my kids when they were little. I was intrigued by the photographs and story, as I was really into French culture at the time. But my kids absolutely hated it. They thought it was so weird and creepy. They could not relate to it at all. I feel it’s not really a children’s book. It’s really for adults who like artsy things. It was a very wacky story indeed. (It’s actually from the movie of the same name.)
April-lyn
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I ever read in the school library that wasn't on the shorter shelves specifically for kids. I remember asking the librarian to take it off the shelf for me in first grade because I couldn't reach it. I don't really remember anything about this book except that I loved it. I should find a copy and revisit it now, 23 years later
Suzy
The movie is phenomenal. The book is for kids (and grown ups) who love the movie.
Fed
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A children's story with great significance. Highly recommended.

The things that we treat with respect and care will always come back to us.
Karen Dransfield
A rather odd story about a boy and a magical balloon that follows him around a bit like a pet. The photo's are from the film that the book is based on.
Rebecca
I still think about this movie sometimes. It was magical, and surely contributed to my thinking that objects could be alive and have feelings, and stories didn't need words.
Victoria
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I remember seeing a movie that mirrored this book; not sure which was made first? I had a little-girl-crush on the boy in the movie and whose picture is in this book.
Angie
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I guess I am the minority in my feelings about this book. It was okay, but not anything I might use in my classroom or read to my nephew.
Johnny
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the book The Red Balloon, there is a little boy who is having a hard time with friends and wants more. He then finds a huge red balloon and they immediately become "best friends". This little boy goes throughout his regular day, but he can't take the balloon with him in some places like on the train or while he's at school. He finds ways to hide the balloon or give it to other people to take care of. He builds a great friendship with this inanimate object. Friendship can be strengthened when ...more
Sophie
Short book, mostly full of large pictures from the old-ish film (which I have not seen, but from the pictures I can tell it's quite old) and a story. Quite hard to find - possibly because it looks like it was published in America. Larger than A4 in size. I'd guess this would be best for those aged 5-7, no older.

Saying this, the pictures are mostly in black and white, which I'm not sure young children would like and sometimes in colour, which possibly represents hope. Because it was set in times
Ryan
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Le ballon rouge [The Red Balloon], also written and directed by Albert Lamorisse, is, along with another of his features Crin blanc: Le cheval sauvage [White Mane], one of my favorite Family/Children's films ever, both of which I was fortunate enough to have been introduced to as a child by my Mom. So when I saw the tie-in book of the former at my neighborhood "Little Library," I decided to pick it up and give it a quick read to see how it compared. Unsurprisingly given its sharing a creator wit ...more
Libuska Lane
This book was imaginative and weird (in a good way). At the same time, it wasn't afraid to handle heavier topics. This boy seems to be in a bad situation: he is lonely, his mother treats him unkindly and he gets bullied. In the midst of this misery, the magical balloon is both a guardian angel and a mischievous pet, but most importantly, it provides hope, love and escape for the boy. It also makes the story feel more hopeful, allowing kindness and hope and imagination to lighten up the story.

Thi
Marie
The Red Balloon is a classic from France from the middle of last century. It's great for it's day; ok for this day. All photographs for illustrations, which is neat; mostly black-and-white which is not so neat in a book focused on a red balloon.

Joe, for some reason, loves it. It's super long for a toddler, but he loves it. No clue why.

Children's Picture Book Summarized: Boy finds balloon, skips school, skips church, gets mugged, gets high.
Cheryl
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't get it. Nice enough story if you empathize, could certainly be considered a timeless fable I suppose, but it just doesn't do much for me. Also it makes me even less interested in visiting Paris; I do not know the appeal. I do love Pascal's little suit, though. And I empathize with his old mother; clearly she didn't expect a child at her time of life.

(Never saw the movie; maybe I'd like it better or see more in it.)
Barbara
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 I remember seeing this film the book is based on when I was young and loved it. The book contains stills from the movie so it manages to capture the sweetness of the story. The Red Balloon depicts the loneliness that can be felt in childhood yet it also celebrates the absolute magic and freedom possible through imagination.
Volkert
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
A book I enjoyed reading aloud to my daughter. Adapted from the film of the same title, with photos taken during the shooting of the film. A balloon befriends a little boy, but its presence keeps getting him into trouble.
Debby
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, paris
Pascal finds a red balloon that becomes his friend and usually obeys him. Adventures of what happens to him because of the balloon.

Different type of story. Takes place in Paris - in French originally. Illustrations are photographs taken during the filming of the movie.
Stacie
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
The book is not available from the local library system as it was published so long ago (1967). But I did 'read' Le Ballon Rouge, the Criterion Collection film based on the book. So I'm going to count this for reading last year. Loved it - the trouble one balloon can make, the adventures. Ahhh....
Amy

• The Curious Garden
  • Doctor De Soto
  • Return
  • The Red Book
  • The Magical Garden of Claude Monet (Anholt's Artists)
  • Quest
  • Madeline and the Bad Hat
  • Anatole and the Cat (Anatole, #2)

News & Interviews