Start by marking “Before the Mayflower: A History of Black America” as Want to Read:
Before the Mayflower: A History of Black America

Before the Mayflower: A History of Black America

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  1,878 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
"Before the Mayflower" traces black history from its origins in western Africa, through the transatlantic journey that ended in slavery, the Reconstruction period, the Jim Crow era, and the civil rights upheavals of the 1960s and 1970s, culminating in an exploration of the complex realities of African-American life in the 1990s. Here is the most recent scholarship on the g ...more
Paperback, Revised Sixth Edition, 736 pages
Published July 1st 1993 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Before the Mayflower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before the Mayflower

Shila
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of all time. That means that it influenced my actions. Also, I collect editions of it, so if you have one you want to let go, please send it to me. :) Thank you.
Donna Davis
When I was working on my MA with the goal to teach history in the upper grades, I expressed my frustration to my professor. I asked where I could find the actual history of Africa. Everywhere I looked (in conventional sources, such as the university library and trade journals) it said, "See Europe". I didn't WANT to read about the colonizers. But of course, when conquerors succeed in occupying another land militarily and politically, the next thing to be done is to eradicate the culture as it ex ...more
Marrick
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you are of African ancestry you have to know your history before you can put your eyes on the future, with success. This is also a very good read for anyone that is not African American but wants to explore the history of Africans in America.
Tessa
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read for one of my history courses while attending San Diego City College. This book is powerful. Spanning centuries of history, a great introduction and original text on African American History. 15 Chapters:
1. The African Past
9. The Life and Times of Jim Crow
10. Red
C El
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a M U S T read for all! yes, it is a lil strong in its content but it all truth to how life was for a race of people whom is still classed as 2nd class! it has a real WOW factor to it but i really feel if read but our young sisters & brother today would clearly feel a lot better about themself than they do now!
Desiree
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't believe I haven't reviwed this book yet! Read it about 20+ years ago and Loved it!! It's basically a Black version of the history books we're given in school. My daughter's too young to read it now, but in another 10 years or so, she's definitely reading this gem.
Terrance
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read. The chapter on Lincoln puts a lot of things into perspective and casts a new light on "The Great Emancipator"
Donna
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As an African American, I found this book not only very educational but also an interesting read. I expect that anyone interested in black history would enjoy it too.
R.K. Byers
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
PLEASE read this book.
Cheryl
This comment is only to add corrections to the editions shown on GoodReads. My copy is the (Revised Edition) A Pelican book published by Penguin Books (14 020856 9) from 1970, with the Cover Design by Janet Halverson. (435 pages - including reference pages). I selected this one since it came closes in year in publishing date and format.
Keith Wagner
This a great introduction, if not then the best introduction, to African American History. If you are wanting to know more about the story of African Americans this book is very readable and accurate. When I taught our school African American History class this was my text. My students liked it so much most of them went out and bought their own copies.
Velicia Tillman
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource book to have. It provides a detailed history of Black America before coming over on the Mayflower. There are many that have tried to lift up the defeats and successes of the African American. Great historical book to maintain in your home library.
Carole
Nov 03, 2015 added it
Learned some things I didn't know.
Warner
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great Black history book
Bryan
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
great read on african american history. the history of africans in america is the history of america.
Reginald
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very thorough, this book can easily be used as a sort of encyclopedia
Breena
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
a classic
Charlie
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Chronicles the cohabitation of Europeans and Africans in North America and corrects misconceptions and bold face fabrications that have been perpetuated by scholars throughout american history.
Tracey
Mar 18, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a great resource of history. I have not read it cover to cover, but turn to it often.
Elgin
Jul 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all americans
Shelves: history
I had to read this book, since I was named after the author.
James
Jan 27, 2009 added it
Very detailed, and very informative. Content, in some areas, may promote anger while reading.
Dianna P.
Jul 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
an incredibly influential book for me. changed my perspective on a lot. transformational.
Brian
Nov 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great Book! I have read previous versions. There are some new updates in this one.
Theadora
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was very hard for me to get through, as you can probably see because of how long it took me to read it.
Adam Hall
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wedding-registry
An engagingly written survey book of African American history. There are some sources cited in the early book that seem dubious, and some statements made that strike me as false in ways that should be especially relevant to a black history textbook. For example, Rosa Parks did not sit down in the white section of the bus on an "impulse," but rather as part of a calculated civil disobedience strategy. But overall the breadth of the book's focus and the liveliness of its prose counterbalance these ...more
Gina
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book.

This is truly important reading for everyone. It is not just that African American history is important because black people were around and doing things that are often ignored in the study of mainstream history; there was a constant influence on society and history, and without understanding that our comprehension of history is complete.

I had worried about bias, but the start of the chapter on Lincoln and Jefferson is gracious, and there is a poetry that comes out there. This is n
Beraiah
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing piece of work. I knew that people of color in this country had it rough but this truly shows just how bad. Even with all of the hardships people of color tried again and again to be the best that society would not let them. I was inspired by this book to continue to strive for progress and thus success. The stories of my ancestors have shown me that I come from a strong stock that can survived the worst of times so that I may have the best of times.
Martin Pepe
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, non-fiction
The most thorough study of the African American experience I've ever read. It takes you from their life in western Africa before the slave ships arrived all the way through the Jim Crow era to their struggles and place in our society today. For any history lover who wants a full, true account of the journey African Americans have taken in our society.
Jennifer Burns
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comps-list
A Classic! This should be on every historian's bookshelf.
Femi Kush
Jun 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Great read!
  • They Came Before Columbus: The African Presence in Ancient America
  • From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans
  • Destruction of Black Civilization: Great Issues of a Race From 4500 B.C. To 2000 A.D.
  • When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America
  • The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality
  • 100 Amazing Facts about the Negro with Complete Proof: A Short Cut to the World History of the Negro
  • The Isis Papers: The Keys to the Colors
  • Christopher Columbus and the Afrikan Holocaust: Slavery and the Rise of European Capitalism
  • The Mis-Education of the Negro