Start by marking “Shadows in Bronze (Marcus Didius Falco, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadows in Bronze (Marcus Didius Falco, #2)

Shadows in Bronze (Marcus Didius Falco #2)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  4,194 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
Marcus Didius Falco takes to the streets of Ancient Rome once more, this time as a private investigator for the Emperor Vespasian himself. He is put on the trail of a villain who means to depose the Emperor.
Published January 23rd 2001 by Arrow Books Ltd (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows in Bronze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows in Bronze

aPriL does feral sometimes
' Shadows in Bronze' is both number two in the Marcus Didius Falco Roman detective series as well as part two in the story begun in The Silver Pigs (Marcus Didius Falco, #1) by Lindsey Davis. I think the writing is better in this novel than in the first, but half of the jokes are still Greek to me. I don't get them, although the characters do. A lot of the dialogue tone is off to me. Falco, and the author, are on a different plane of thought, somehow, from me and there is a peculiar lack of conversational class barriers between lower class Falco and t ...more
Assaph Mehr
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roman-detectives
Shadows in Bronze picks up where The Silver Pigs left off. This is one thing I like about this series - the continuity of life.

In this second novel, Falco continues his investigations in the aftermath of the stolen silver ingots. Expect more noir detective story-style, with an increasing romantic angle.
Be aware that while it's not necessary to read the books in order, it certainly helps. Davis' love for the period and the personas (or dislike of some) shines through the writing, even if one some
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those mysteries where for most of the book no one's getting any closer to Why Dunnit until all of a sudden it all falls into place. Falco, like any well brought up boy, obligingly gets there a few pages after the average reader (if the average reader is moi) and crucially, does so in entertaining fashion. This book is all about the characters and Falco's enjoyably jaded narrations of them, and on that score it delivers.

I wish the plot had been stronger; arguably, the romance subp
Blaine DeSantis
Aug 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Try, try, try as I might, I just could not get into this book. I already have read the first book of this series and so I was anxious to dive into this book.
Unfortunately, I appear to be one of the few who found this book hard to read, disjointed and totally uninteresting. I started and restarted the book 3 different times in the hope that I had missed something or would glean something that I had missed previously. Nope.
Sorry Marcus Didius Falco fans this one just was of no interest to me. And
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of historical fiction & mysteries
The second book in Davis's series about Marcus Didius Falco, an informer in the Rome of the Flavian emperors, picks up immediately after the events of the first novel, The Silver Pigs. Falco is helping to track down the remnants of the conspiracy he uncovered and confounded and finds himself tracked by and tracking Barnabas - the freedman of Atius Pertinax, now deceased conspirator and ex-husband of Helena, Falco's socially unobtainable lover.

There are a few plot twists - nothing is quite what i
Have you ever been to a movie that had one or two twists too many? Have you ever thought, “This chase scene was placed here either to extend the running length of the film or to provide something recognizable for the video game?” That’s the way I feel about Shadows in Bronze. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t intend to stop reading Lindsey Davis’ delightful stories about Marcus Didius Falco, “informer” for the Emperor Vespasian. Most of them that I’ve read have been delightfully paced while juggling t ...more
Melissa McShane
This sequel to The Silver Pigs picks up only days after the first ended; I like the continuity, though I think if you go a long time between reading them, it might be harder to pick up the thread of the story. You can look at this volume as sort of wrapping up the first, as the conspirators who were exiled start getting bumped off by a mysterious man who's always a couple of steps ahead of Falco. His task (a thankless one, so of course Vespasian picked him for the job) to find and warn the remai ...more
Falco calls himself an informer, but actually works as an investigator for the Emperor Vespasian. Plots against the Emperor are thick on the ground. Falco is a bit of a bumbler, and misses one obvious clue after another. People often try to tell him things, but he interrupts them. Nowhere is this more true than in his relationship with Helena Justina, who clearly cares for him (although the reader is hard pressed to know why). Something is revealed in their relationship after about a hundred obv ...more
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
The second book in the series. Continue to follow the exploits of Marcus Didius Falco, an informer for the emperor, through the complications of first century Roman love and murder. Interesting and humorous modern day similarities are to be found. Enjoyed the occasional humorous banter between the characters amongst the intrigue of Roman politics.

Listened to the dramatization of the book on BBC's iPlayer Radio app.
Rosanne Lortz
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Shadows in Bronze, the second book of the Marcus Didius Falco series by Lindsey Davis, Marcus goes undercover to find out more about the conspirators whom he thwarted in the previous novel. As they explore the towns of the Italian countryside, Marcus and his nephew Larius become door-to-door salesmen, offering lead pipes at a cheap deal and tax free.

"Every householder knows the hazard; a man and a boy at the door selling something you don’t want. Unless you feel strong, these whey-faced inade
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See Naples and die they say. M. Didius Falco almost managed it before actually seeing Neapolis. This book follows the Silver Pigs in that the plotters have to be swept up and settled or disposed of. It seems that the plot is still alive but relocating to the Bay of Naples where the ships bringing grain from Egypt to Rome will appear and where the Roman fleet is based.
So why not go on holiday to the beach? Marcus and Petronius gather up Marcus' 14 year old nephew and Petronius' wife and daughter
Jamie Collins
Very enjoyable, if not quite as good as the first one. I'm looking forward to the next book. I liked Petro's family, and overall the characterizations are very good.

I like the short chapters, but the paragraph breaks are still a little odd. They tend to disrupt the flow of Falco and Helena's conversations.
Jeff Dickison
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series is rapidly becoming one of my favorites. I liked this better than The Silver Pigs because it was funnier and more intricately plotted. Falco is an amazing, if not always competent, informer who generally manages to muddle through his cases. Highly recommended.
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Not as good as the first novel, we had the two main characters acting like dim witted teenagers in love and not talking to each other but at least the romance was more interesting to read then the main mystery which I found a bit boring at least until Falco got back to Rome where things picked up. I do Love the character of Falco and I enjoy reading about his family and friends the characters are very charismatic and I would especially like to see more of his mum and nephew in the future. Hopefu ...more
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Loved it. Intrigue and romance in ancient Rome.
John Frankham
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
The second in this 20 book series about Falco, a gopher for the Emperor Vespasian.

This, again, is a solid story, combining whodunnit elements with the author's love of showing the life of the Romans in the first century of the emperors. A continuation and conclusion of the story in book 1 concerning the theft and smuggling of silver ingots from Britain, the unmasking of the conspirators, and Falco's involvement with a senator's daughter.

Good - still 18 more to go.
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed #2 in the Marcus Didius Falco series, but it was slow reading - hence the three stars. And why can't two people in love just talk to each other instead of always misunderstanding and storming off... The story is a continuation of #1 (Silver Pigs) and begins only days later.

Falco, an ancient Roman gumshoe, is still working for Emperor Vespasian, receives low pay, and does the "dirty" jobs like disposing of an inconvenient corpse. After the failed plot against the emperor, Marcus and hi
I enjoyed this second installment of the Marcus Didius Falco series just as much as the first one. The plot was well-thought through and offered suspense again and again, despite some slow sections. The best parts, however, were again the dry humour of Falco's internal monologue and the likeable characters of his family and friends. " Shadows in Bronze" made me laugh out loud frequently and made me sympathize with Falco and the other characters. Definitely another series I've become addicted to!
Did not enjoy this as much as the first one (which was excellent). Took a while for the story to get going and the "twists" were predictable Still it was enjoyable enough to want to read the next book
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Falco gets the girl

Falco gets the girl

Actually, Falco gets the guy too. it just takes a while. In the meantime, there is a lot of travelling around Italy. A rousing romp, as usual. I cannot wait to start the next chapter in the series.
I picked this one up having read one of the later books in the series. This is the second in the sequence - and I got a sense that it would have helped to read the first book first, as the plot seems to be thrown at the reader with little explanation. We know that there is a plot against the new Emperor (hardly surprising), but I found it difficult to keep up with who was supposedly involved, who was helping Falco, who were just random people he met... there are a lot of characters to keep track ...more
There are some books that are ruined by a forced inclusion of a romantic subplot. It is called "Strangled by the Red String".

This book is the opposite.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad. The author is great when it comes to light, entertaining, amusing reading. The metaphor about women's breasts... was... well, epic. Marco is charming, witty and unlucky as always. The secondary cast is very nice.

The plot lacked direction. It seemed to follow multiple threads, without really making us feel w
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I plowed through another Falco mystery by Lindsey Davis, Shadows in Bronze. I’m such a sucker for the right female character. She is smart, she is arch and witty, she is in charge, she has a sense of humor. She’s usually in love with a handsome lug of a man who is just as infatuated with her as I am. If that’s your female protagonist, then I’m your #1 fan. Davis’ Helena Justina is one of those characters. Even though the protagonist of the series is Didius Falco, and he’s quite likeable, I’m rea ...more
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed this book very much but was glad that I had read The Silver Pigs first. Even though it turned out well, I was a bit confused at first about who was who and where the plot was going. The descriptions of the Roman period and the varied locations around the Italian peninsula are excellent and the plot eventually added up to an exciting read. We read this for book club and we all enjoyed it to a greater or lesser extent and I would recommend it to fans of historical detective stories.
Mary Beth
The drama of Shadows is well wrought, knitting together Falco's methodical investigation, his tumultuous relationship with Helena, and the plotting against him for a very satisfying close. Davis's painting of ancient Rome is always rich in detail, and here a visit to Herculaneum is particularly fascinating.
Ana Elena Romero
Esta segunda entrega de la saga de Falcó, investigador privado del emperador Vespasiano, es tremendamente aburrida.
Se extiende tanto en detalles nimios que no aportan nadava la trama, que acaba con la paciencia del lector más incondicional.
Lo he intentado pero a falta de cien páginas me he rendido definitivamente
Sheila Stone
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A good bit of editing would have improved this book. Too many story lines happening at the same time and with the unusual names it was difficult to keep everything straight. Perhaps #3 will be better.
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library, 1992
The further adventures of M. Didius Falco and Helena Justina. Takes up where Silver Pigs left off. Witty and intelligent as expected...good descriptions of vacationing in Campania, banqueting with the nobility, naval engagements, and Roman horse racing.
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another peek into a fictional ancient Rome, this time with travel and the introduction of more lovable characters.
Quite funny. Modern day sensibilities applied to ancient Rome.
  • The House of the Vestals (Roma Sub Rosa, #6)
  • SPQR VI: Nobody Loves a Centurion (SPQR, #6)
  • Terra Incognita (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #2)
  • Germanicus (Marcus Corvinus, #2)
  • The Raven in the Foregate (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #12)
Lindsey Davis, historical novelist, was born in Birmingham, England in 1949. Having taken a degree in English literature at Oxford University (Lady Margaret Hall), she became a civil servant. She left the civil service after 13 years, and when a romantic novel she had written was runner up for the 1985 Georgette Heyer Historical Novel Prize, she decided to become a writer, writing at first romanti ...more
More about Lindsey Davis...

Marcus Didius Falco (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Silver Pigs (Marcus Didius Falco, #1)
  • Venus in Copper (Marcus Didius Falco, #3)
  • The Iron Hand of Mars (Marcus Didius Falco, #4)
  • Poseidon's Gold (Marcus Didius Falco, #5)
  • Last Act in Palmyra (Marcus Didius Falco, #6)
  • Time to Depart (Marcus Didius Falco, #7)
  • A Dying Light in Corduba (Marcus Didius Falco, #8)
  • Three Hands in the Fountain (Marcus Didius Falco, #9)
  • Two for the Lions (Marcus Didius Falco, #10)
  • One Virgin Too Many (Marcus Didius Falco, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Burnable Book (John Gower, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • The Stockholm Octavo
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Cocoa Beach
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Tide (Ty Hauck, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • What We Saw
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
“You could tell those two had been married by the way that she ignored him.” 6 likes
“The plumber plodded along in silence, like a man who has learned to be polite to lunatics through dealing with civil engineers.” 5 likes